John Wiese

Started by Duncan, May 10, 2017, 02:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

Quote from: jaysidetracked on May 16, 2017, 01:40:54 AM
Quote from: yosef666 on May 13, 2017, 12:59:12 PM
Quote from: holy ghost on May 12, 2017, 08:33:27 PM
They played with Mike DuBose on vocals last time I caught them and wow man it was like total Fear of God type stuff. It was hands down, one of the best things I've witnessed in a decade.

I'm almost relieved to hear no one else has gotten #5. The other 5 in that series were fucking brilliant. When I got that package with everything it was one of the best mail days ever.
I was only able to score 1 of the tapes... Charlie didn't even end up with copies. Hoping to track the others down at some point...

All I heard from John is that it was a noise tape, and not a noisecore tape. Would you say this is accurate Yosef?

"I know a guy" who has number five. So it's out there. The search continues.

Not a lot of SS releases lately but I've picked up a ton of recent Wiese 7"s. The Marhaug one is great, and I still need to spin the recent lathe and Thurston Moore collab.

Deadpriest

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 29, 2018, 07:36:25 AM
Oblique No Strategy with T. Mikawa is one of the harshest damn things I've heard, from either of them. From anyone. A single(?) live session remixed and mastered by Wiese with supreme emphasis on the scorching-est extremities. This operates for me as tribute to Mikawa/Incaps, taking all of the elements I like best from the banker buds and compressing them into four white-hot hole cleansers. Feel all pink and squeaky clean in the rather deafened aftermath.

The collab with The Cherry Point blew my tits off too!!
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

holy ghost

I'll  second the collab with T. Mikawa is great. It was in my pile of stuff but hadn't checked it out until I saw this thread. Really intense stuff. It was a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

I picked up the record he did at GRM but I have only had a chance to go through it once. GRM is something I am really interested in and that's a great sounding record.

I also really like the collab with Dave Philips who I also really like. That 7" really sets the bar high in terms of presentation.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Just checked out Reversed Normalization and Disfathom by Sissy Spacek. Dunno what I expected but this is fucking banging, no other way to put it. Never been a fan of noisecore generally (it often feels like it's more fun for the person playing than listening) but Reversed Normalization has a clarity, sharpness, and urgency to it that I've not come across before. The balance of noise and drums reminds me of the Unsustainable Social Condition & Ted Byrnes material- never a consistent mix level (i.e. as in traditional music) but rather each element violently staggering in and out of focus.

I'm new to Wiese's work so this thread is helpful. I picked up his RRRecycled tape (and the aforementioned USC & TB tape) from Thousands of Dead Gods on a recent holiday to NY which was excellent but I understand it might not be an accurate representation of his body of work.

Zeno Marx

Looks like a Sissy grindcore LP/CD on Nuclear War Now this summer.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

New Forces

Sissy Spacek LP on New Forces this summer. A-side at 45rpm, crazy noisecore, B-side at 33rpm, total noise assault. Really the best of both worlds.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

holy ghost

Both of these LPs sound fantastic. Pretty cool to see SS on NWN, it's a pairing that I didn't see coming but makes a lot of sense.

I guess here's hoping for a giant SS flag?

vegasfountain

So excited for the upcoming albums on New Forces and NWN! It seems they've got new releases coming out on Helicopter and Mistake by the Lake this summer too. Their output is impressive to say the least.

I've been a huge fan of Sissy Spacek since I took a chance on buying a copy of Wastrel Projection a few years back. I've picked up just about everything else I can find by them since and have yet to be disappointed. Currently stuck on the RIP boxset that contains a bunch of live tapes from about 10 years ago. Awesome sounds and packaging on this one!

Does anyone want to sell a copy of either the Gate 7" or the newest Blear cassette? Please PM me if so.

New Forces

Lots of SS activity this summer (records, shows) due to it being the 20th anniversary. The next issue of the New Forces zine will be all Sissy Spacek with a history of the band / interview with John and Charlie, among other things.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

holy ghost

Quote from: New Forces on April 25, 2018, 05:52:30 PM
Lots of SS activity this summer (records, shows) due to it being the 20th anniversary. The next issue of the New Forces zine will be all Sissy Spacek with a history of the band / interview with John and Charlie, among other things.

This is all GREAT news!!!

When Helicopter dropped that last batch a few summers back that was like a flurry of activity trying to grab it all, this summer I will be prepared!

absurdexposition

Quote from: holy ghost on April 25, 2018, 05:22:20 PM

You little Nazi, you.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

thetenthousandthings

Quote from: New Forces on April 25, 2018, 05:52:30 PM
Most excellent. Can't wait for Trash Staging.

holy ghost

Quote from: absurdexposition on April 25, 2018, 08:58:55 PM
Quote from: holy ghost on April 25, 2018, 05:22:20 PM

You little Nazi, you.

"For one brief second, I became a NWN edgelord....."

Two new SS CDs up for order on the Helicopter site. One has ensemble groups from the last tour, the other has two sessions with Don Bolles of The Germs, Mitchell Brown from GASP, and Joseph Hammer.

Now that I am interested in.

Zeno Marx

https://harshtruthspodcast.wordpress.com/2020/08/22/episode-21-john-wiese/

It could have been another hour or two.  It can sometimes be too much about the interviewer, but I'm not on board with not liking his style.  I'm fine with his part of the conversation; only that it could be less so someone as interesting as Wiese could share more.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

This was most definitely the best Harsh Truths for me. It had all the Harsh Truths conceptual things, hardcore, veganism, progressive mindsets, dislike of PE, hehe.. but all were somehow differently dealt with and more emphasis was on getting faster and more directly to noise talk.

Also, I think I said it in the playlist, John Wiese / Skin Graft CD, is totally great. It instantly became one of my more listened harsh noise CD's of 2020. While it has elements what I do not always like (utmost digital clarity for example), this album shows unusual strength - that it is so good in doing things I do not often like, that it just convinces to change your mind. Shows that all these things can be done well, almost fresh, and tools or gear is not really the issue. It is mostly difference of fact that some guys are good in things, others not so good.

Wiese talks in interview how every recording can be basically cut half shorter, and it improves material. I am very satisfied that this session wasn't cut into 5 minutes. It just works out so well in full length album. Yet, I have been checking out possibilities of pressing 7"s again. Its format I have been listening A LOT in 2020, so regardless of being among least wanted formats for noise, I do share opinion of Wiese about greatness of that particular format!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net