Masonna gear?

Started by rintrah, April 07, 2017, 05:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rintrah

Anyone know what pedals Masonna uses? I swear my heart skips a beat every time listen to him.

Bleak Existence

Vanilla Electronics Model-?

Johann

If I'm not mistaken I believe he has a nice collection of vintage synths, as there always shown in the cover of Space Machine albums....looks like live he used some pedals too but I don't know if he created source material and fed it through or just let it rip

Leatherface

bitewerksMTB

I use to have a videotape of Masonna & Merzbow live in Cleveland OH. Masonna had two of the Lovetone pedals; the Meatball & the other I do not remember. He had them attached to the mic stand, not down on the stage floor along with the delay, loop, etc. he used.

I was never a big fan of his work but he could produce some hellish sounds with what little he had while jumping around all over the place.

Johann

I also wonder if he did a lot of post production (which wouldn't surprise me) because, and please correct me if I am wrong, his live performance were notoriously short and the (earlier) albums are basically made up of collages of these shows...

breidahl

On the Frequency L.S.D. release, it says he used "Voice, Effects [Microphone, EXPJ Ringmodulator, Coloursound Pedals, 60s Fuzz, Noise Canister, Sherman Filterbank, Delay], Synthesizer [Spectral Audio Analogsynth]".

https://www.discogs.com/Mademoiselle-Anne-Sanglante-Ou-Notre-Nymphomanie-Aur%C3%A9ol%C3%A9-Frequency-LSD/release/111901

Duncan

As far as I know his is no real different or special case to most: live seems to be a (probably) changing array of a few pedals, usually with a delay in there judging from videos, and a mic.  Pretty sure there is some footage out there of him chatting about his gear and he has a shaker box going on.  This might have even been mentioned in a written interview? I half remember downloading some scanned PDF of a pretty in depth thing about him but sorry, I can't be bothered to dig around.

Recording wise I remember reading an interview where he just says he takes the best pieces of whatever recording sessions he did and cuts them together.  Meh, Masonna is amazing but I really doubt his sound is the result of some specific gear set up.

THE RITA HN

When I visited the Alchemy shop in Osaka years ago, other than the fucked feeling of being able to shake Masonna's hand after buying some CDs, you get to also peer over his shoulder and see a lot of the original gear stored against the wall used by the Alchemy family.  I remember recognizing some of the amps, mics, etc.