Carlos Giffoni

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 16, 2017, 09:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

At old 7" topic was said:

QuoteCARLOS GIFFONI "Resignation letter" 7"
Harbinger Sound
Same can't be said about this. Also 2008 release. Ltd 100 tour single. Plain white sleeve with stamped title and numbered by hand. But what an uninspired synth bullshit we have here. I have never heard that CG would have done REMARKABLE album. His gigs worked well with heavy duty subwoofer power and loud volume, but all this synth stuff seems like having guy with two analogue synths with no effects, no interesting recording methods. Just line recording of testing what sort of sounds could be pulled out of these synths. And I can tell: not good ones.

It's been long time since I was listening Giffonis work. Today happened to grab some odd hand painted box from box of tapes, not sure what it was. Then turned out it's Carlos Giffoni "Charred Flesh" tape. Being limited to 13 copies, with handmade package by Hospital Productions, you can't really know what to expect. Mr. Fernow has told that he ain't particularly proud of many of releases under label, as Hospital wasn't just normal label, but it gathered things that was flowing around during particular moment.
So what we have, is of course internationally acknowledge masters and notable releases that survived the test of time. But at the same time, local dudes, tour mates, side projects, various musical tests of new methods of creating sound and so on. These just "happened", and label did small runs what made sense at the specific moment and moved on.
But now, 10 years later, how vital is some releases what was based on old friendship or having met at gig and coming into conclusion of putting out short tape would be nice. etc? A lot of american noise of certain type during 2000's was "live scene noise", and their albums barely manage to capture long lasting power in form of recording. "Just another jam", so to say.

In case of Giffoni, my view has been that his importance was most of all organizer and that some of his gigs I managed to see, was decent. But I have yet to hear recording what would be both personal and strong. I can't listen his techno stuff, and pretty much all abstract synth is sort of... wanky.
However, listening this 20 minute tape from 10 years back, I'm quite convinced THIS could be the best Giffoni I have heard. It has no techno. It is not particularly wanky, even if it's not THAT far from 7" commented above. It is the two synths going from one thing to another, yet session just manages to not lose the grip on the buttons. Many of his collaborations, seems to rely on Giffoni wanking these synths while other guy saves what is saveable. Most solo works go too dull electro stuff. "Charred Flesh" is more like the best gigs I saw from him. From same era. Finland and New York.  It is curious that when artists has a good release, then it's impossible to find. Curiously checked out discogs and noticed that one copy has been sold during all these years, and that for 167 euros! WTF?!

While I'm not specially hunting for more Giffoni, I'm still curious if people have any comments what is really his best works and releases that maintain relevance after decade(s) ? 
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

acsenger

While I can't recommend anything by Giffoni, I can say that the two releases that involve him that I know aren't good. One is Synth Destruction by him and Merzbow, which is a live recording from 2006, and it's totally average noise that I don't think anyone who has at least a couple quality noise releases needs. The other one is Electric Dress by Giffoni, Merzbow and Jim O'Rourke, which was also recorded live a few days later. This is much heavier on synths, and it just failed to grab my interest. I don't remember much of it, but it's easily possible that there were a lot of wanky sounds that Mikko described above.

holy ghost

I'm definitely not too well versed in his recordings but I quite like the records I do have. He performs with Jazkamer on the collab with Smegma which is a definite favorite of mine.

I also feel like the DLP collab with The Rita is excellent as well. Very heavy, really well crumbling, grinding harsh wall.

I own two CDs, Adult Life and Arrogance and I think both are pretty cool but it's been a while.

I have the Opening the Gates LP and the Live at No Fun Fest split LP with Dilloway but I'll be damned if I remember them too well.

david lloyd jones

without evidence, thought mr giffoni was what was wrong with the colab with the Rita.
given years of Rita appreciation, likely my fault.
that said, when seen live supporting ramleh and consumer electronics, the live presentation was dull
, overstayed it's welcome, and given the giffoni status at the time was disappointing

holy ghost

I pulled Open The Gates LP and gave it a quick spin. It's very sparse pulsing modular workouts, reminded me of a stripped down Cluster 71' in a way. Repetitive and hypnotic for the most part, it made for a pleasant experience while I was folding laundry. I'd like to go back and revisit a few other records while this is a hot topic....

VelvetCurtain

I think it is really interesting that Giffoni's work has largely - and perhaps I am wrong - left the general discourse of contemporary noise. I almost never hear anyone mention his work or name, despite obviously having a huge influence on the current states of affairs. I will say the following, I actually think Giffoni's work in technoise (hahaha) is far, far, far better than pretty much anything that else that tries to do a similar thing. And far more original. Is that stuff great? I don't know - I'd rather throw on some more legit techno 12"s personally. I was far too young to really get a grip of the scene during the No Fun heyday, would y'all recommend the label and where does it stand as a counterpoint to, say, Hospital Productions?

MMMM

The only Giffoni-related thing I have is the Heavy Rain Returns collaboration CD with Prurient. It's been a good while since I last listened to it but I remember it as being a strong album and a strong collaboration.
Great analog synth rubble from Giffoni in the foreground, with Prurient's metallic industrialized noise and shrieking taking on a slightly less overbearing(but still forceful and disturbing) presence than it usually does. I'm not surprised that Giffoni went on to collaborate with The Rita as the approach and atmosphere on this album felt to me as having a lot in common with how McKinlay does what he does. Totally fetishistic, immersed attitude towards sound.

Has anyone here seen them(Giffoni and Prurient, I mean) on the collaborative European tour they did around the same time this album came out? Those performances must have been great.

impulse manslaughter

I have Adult Life CD, Severance CD and The Absence Of Essence 2x7". Both cd's spend some time in my cd-player when they came out but haven't listened to them recently. Noticed on Discogs most of his releases are really cheap so if there's a stand out release anyone can recommend i will dig in a little bit more..

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on March 19, 2017, 11:14:13 PM
I have Adult Life CD, Severance CD

the best two releases in his discography imo. the last two tracks from Adult Life are all you really need.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Marko-V

Quote from: MMMM on March 19, 2017, 03:24:42 PM
The only Giffoni-related thing I have is the Heavy Rain Returns collaboration CD with Prurient. It's been a good while since I last listened to it but I remember it as being a strong album and a strong collaboration.
Solid stuff.