Eventual destruction of formats - tape, CD, vinyl, etc.

Started by Peterson, February 19, 2017, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

Going back through my CDr and data DVD collection, I'm reminded of why I mostly lost interest in CDR a while back - seems to me these things experience even more disc rot that CDs (which some of my older classic rock CDs also have - I've heard there were issues with CDs manufactured before 1995ish), to the point where some I listened to 5-7 years ago now are borderline unplayable.

Got some vinyl back from an ex recently, and although I'd first thought a handful of them were warped from heat or cold, I honestly think one or two in particular were just worn out - anyone have any insight as to how much regular abuse a piece of vinyl needs prior to getting outta whack?

Thankfully not much of the good stuff, but noticed certain older tapes displaying obvious signs of decay over time, too; can anyone provide detail into what can help slow this process and what causes it other than simple stretching of tape? I know someone has to have posted links to statistics involving tape wear and tear, maybe even in comparison to CD, but my memory and browsing skills are failing me right now.

Most importantly, though; has anyone experienced audible/visible wear n' tear on releases purchased 3-5 years prior? Doesn't matter what format, I'm just curious about people's experiences and such.

acsenger

So far I haven't had any issues with any CDs, vinyl or tapes in my collection, but it might be only a matter of time. Just recently I listened to some of my Magma CDs that were made in 1987 and 1988, and they don't have any visible defects and play perfectly. I have a couple tapes from the mid-80s too and they play fine.

What matters a lot is proper care and storage in proper conditions: everything should be kept clean and in their cases/sleeves, records upright. Use a record brush, stylus brush and cleaning fluid, and use antistatic inner sleeves. Wash records if required. Clean the tape head occasionally. And if possible, avoid exposure to direct sunlight, high humidity or temperature extremes.

I stick to the above and hope for the best. So far I've been lucky.

Theodore

Quote from: Peterson on February 19, 2017, 08:15:38 AM
I know someone has to have posted links to statistics involving tape wear and tear, maybe even in comparison to CD, but my memory and browsing skills are failing me right now.

You mean this ? http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=6713.msg53644#msg53644 , if you explore that site has a lot of info. But don't get paranoid ! It's about library archiving for almost zero degradation, or the minimum possible.

I store them in shoe boxes in closet, in a room i don't smoke in. I have put some desiccants in the closet, to avoid much humidity. When you get them for first time in your hands, look the leads-in / out and if you see small hair or dust remove them with a toothpick or pen cap. Clean the shell as well. Keep your deck's tape path clean, and in good condition. Ah, and don't let the tapes in flat position for long-term storing. Also store them away from magnets and electromagnetic sources, for example not on your large speakers. That's everything i can easily do and i do it. The rest is up to luck !
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Urban Noise

Only have this problem with Cdr's. But I think it also depends on the quality of the Cdr and the speed of recording.
Never had any problems with my vinyl records and on CD's, the bigger issue I'm having is the CD, even new ones, skiping but I think that's more of a problem with the stereo than the CD's.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

Euro Trash Bazooka

I found that the CDRs I own that hold the best through time are the first ones I ever burned almost 20 years ago, when CD burners started to get built-in within new computers. It took an hour to burn a CD but at least they last...
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

diigitae

i have some burn cd who are 10 years maybe more who run cool but i'have notice that some official cd(pressed) is in good shape don't know why,with my vinyl i don't have problem nor my tape but the best conservation format to me is md i have some record that have more than 15 years and i read it like the first time i record them.
so i used to record every thing i like to md(yeh it's compressed but ??)mostly as i can listen it outside on my md recorders

david lloyd jones