CON-DOM

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 26, 2009, 03:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Servitude. The First Sermon - 7"   Xn Recordings 1995
"Servitude" starts with mid range fierce noise, trademark phaser feedback enters, it feels somehow mid range dominated, but suddenly deep percussive loop hits in, delivering bounding nearly ritualistic mood. Heavily effected vocal rant with lyrics you can't understand.
"Runners" sounds like mixing some sort of turntable noises, perhaps by passing train, chaotic movie samples, all blending into this distorted, lo-fi, but not "harsh" noise piece. Track is all the time on the move. It has certain feeling on repetition, but the way it is build, keeps it going forward and bringing in very distinctive and concrete sounds with minimal effects. Great ending of hysterical kid yelling something and sound of possibly bombers flying above, all collapsing to massive reverb. Intense.
Nice hard cardboard sleeve with running fit youthful men in front with postcard included and strangely orange vinyl. "The Condition upn which liberty is given to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime, and the punishment of his guilt"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHUXpOSqMwQ

Hatred. The Second Sermon 7"   Praxis Dr. Bearmann 1995
Most limited of the 7"s and therefore easily the hardest one to find as original.  "Hatred", with high pitched electronic sound similar to something like Intrinsic Action, with added fast beat underneath. Fast paced rather clear vocal assault on top. Lyrics perhaps not the most advance ones. They can be heard very clearly and also printed on the sleeve. Basically ranting about hating people, not because of their qualities, beliefs, etc, but just hating everybody.
B-side is much more interesting. Tape manipulations, loops, clean vocals with no effects, with more obscure lyrics of butcher. Perhaps references for war atrocities and concentration camps? It's basically just description of what happens in butchers shop.. "meat laid out, hard rigid layer on layer, rank and file, joint on joints. Red succulent in pools of blood..." and so on, but the final sentences "among the maimed and slaughtered, my carcass lies, add one more to the butchers bill". Cover decorated with rough b/w war images, inside poster a collage, red 7" wrapped into bloody butchers paper. War is and element in the order ordained by God.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGAPXqkcKpM

Righteousness. The Third Sermon (7")   Pylon Recordings 1995
One of the best if you ask me. The biggest edition, over 1000 pressed. "Casting of stones" is multilayered noise junk wall and collisions of machine malfunctions. It's almost like hi-speed Vivenza and old Haters layered on top of eachother with addition of cut up drums/cymbals and fast forwarded tapes? Just droning, creaking, jerking, industrial noise mayhem with frantic vocal delivery on top. Stone of death!! Stone of death!! Ability to even increase the level of intensity while the track goes on. Perfect timing of lyrics. Just amazing.
Things just get better. Mission To Kill (hand of mormon), I believe "Acknowledgement is due to Slave State" means that the contribution of powerful rhythm is from this American industrial unit. Steady beat of very crude rhythm is accompanied with sounds of trains, various incoming & going reverbed sounds, horns of approaching trains. Just totally futuristic, form perspective of old times and industrial revolution. Vocal performance is like sermon in massive cathedral. Massive reverb echoes. Mix of sounds is perfect. It simply could not be better. This to me is like culmination of what I would call "industrial music". Luckily due large pressing and cheap covers, this is possibly cheapest Con-Dom vinyl to buy, so don't hesitate a second if it's missing from your collection!

Retribution. The Fourth Sermon 7"   Ant-Zen 1996
What I just said above? Possibly could repeat here. Now Con-Dom uses sources from Militia, Richard Ramirez and thanks Club Moral for vocal influence. You can basically hear the Militia track from their amazing 3xLP set now slightly processed and with additional layers of noise on top of the rhythm. Vocals include stronger and more in-you-face reverb, the middle of track becomes like surreal torture chamber with the sound what is just unheard on any other artists. I will bow down on this material.
On b-side low bassy humming sound on the back, with the most trademark Con-Dom phaser malformed vocal brutality. Sound of "electronics" reminds me more of something like Commodore 64 tapes being listening on regular tape deck? Or perhaps fast forwarded sounds of walkman. Crushes of broken glass? Strangely "spontaneous" mix, where volume levels change from time to time in unexpected style. It sound much silent compared to first side, but I assume it is thanks to dominating low end humming. Again, unique work. From maybe last third of song the humming transforms into short loop creating more aggressive mood, with random noises added into mix. Just perfect example of ability to "compose" PE track, which goes for so much more than just "noise background for vocals". And the strange thing is, that Con-Dom doesn't give impression as if he would have massive musical ambitions, but these serve as concept work related to project. My conclusion would be that the more thought given to concept & what music needs to represent seems to lead for interesting results? Isn't it cape fear tattoos on the cover? Revenge!

Love. The Fifth Sermon (7", Ltd)   Self Abuse Records 1996
So what's with the trains? Perhaps this invention in UK, first transformed from wagon pulled by horses, bringing coal up from the mines. Later with steam engine, train being the perfect symbol of new era of man? And, besides that, it sounds good when done correctly. I remember my first own train recordings from early 90's, on micro cassette walkman, and since then, every couple of years returning to the sound source.
Fuck With Faith, starts with something that is clearly a train. There is added sound of grinding knife or axe into sharpening stone. At least, that's what it sounds to me, and also familiar method of creating sound. Aggressive vocals, with relatively dry sound. Fast paced, repeating few lines of lyrics with obsessive ranting style.
One of the most calm con-dom tracks in history? Light droning sounds, distant choirs, very slowly drifting tones and sounds, orchestral sounds, horns, circular saw noises,.... It is great sound, with semi melodic / harmonic approach, and the hostile and insulting vocals on top. You love me, you love me, You love me, you love me, You love me, you love me,..  you are weak, you are pathetic,...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swb8roFFj7Q

Glory. The Sixth Sermon (7", Ltd)   Slaughter Productions 1996
Daniel Menche sounds backing up Con-Dom vocal delivery. Slowly grinding dusty noise drones for whole side, couple layers slowly mixed to dominate different moments. Loops slowly rotate and typical vocal pacing delivering the Battle Hymn.
Speech starts the b-side. Explosion, what might not be even that, but simply very crude loop of something just being hit, creates rhythm. Very broken atmosphere. Old radio transmissions, warlike atmosphere. Everything sounds as if it would come from old radio, being little bit out of channel and having lo-fi mono speakers. Fence of Legs, indeed great fucking track. It is so crude in sound, one can only show this track as example how well some of the more "concrete" and physical sounds fit into power electronics / industrial, as opposed of relying on mere synthesizers. Commanding vocals only enter in the end of track to finalize great composition. Essential!

Law. The Seventh Sermon 7", Power & Steel 1996
Song starts with painful mid range noise drone, heavy waving low end humming and sounds of perhaps forklift? Sound is steady and strong, with necessary dynamics to keep it interesting, but no surprises. Just guaranteed killer Con-Dom track with more manifesting style of vocals with long lyrics. On the b-side Militia teams up for the additional rhythm. Throbbing synth of opening piece of 3xLP is something that one immediately recognizes. Originally short piece is looped whole track length. Daniel Menche is also quotes as sonic support on this release. Sounds like race cards speeding on distance. High pitched painful feedback dominated on the top. Another track with similar commanding vocals with long lyrics and the track ends with highly echoed rhythm taken from the end of same Militia track. Heavy reverb grows until track finishes. Law is very strong release among the sermons. Not to be missed.

Sermon    Tochnit Aleph 1996
The additional 8th sermon, also often titled "Go Violently". Fast synth noise with "helicopter noise" style, slowly growing droning electronic on the back. Another strong commanding reverbed vocal assault. Noise drones grow stronger in the end, growing over the helicopter noise into climax.
On b-side, long dark gloomy bass synth, with some additional tones, not far from what he later did on "Holy Bible" mCD "Bible Right". Slowly drifting sound, with tones, in the end of short piece sudden yelling vocals the final words of the sermons.

As additional, there exists some different versions of the 7"s.  3rd sermon has some different quality covers in circulation. 4th sermon has special armybag version.
There is a separately available full color booklet with all the lyrics and extra artwork, professionally printed. Still available from the band, and perhaps soon back in stock on Freak Animal too. It is essential companion for the set.
For collectors, there was Con-Dom - "Sermons" Seven Reasons Why I Love My Saviour Jesus Christ.  Very special "altar" with all the 8 singles. Not a box set, as some sources mentions. Images that for example discogs shows, do very little justice for the set. There are some changes, like golden lettering in some of the 7" and the booklet as well.

There are "rumours" that Tesco would be doing CD of these. And that is something what really is needed to do. Despite you generally can get the 7"s for 10-30 euros each almost all the time as 2nd hand, I do think one CD compiling everything offering it for nice price, would be mandatory. Lets hope it happens rather sooner than later...

........To be continued with other releases.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

kettu

this might  be my favourite pe+industrial band. I seriously contemplated killing markkulan poika when he showed me his copy of the colour of a mans skin set.

I have very little to ad to this thread since my personal "collection" is not very impressive. but ill read it while wiping saliva from my red beard. these overviews/whatever things are great.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 26, 2009, 03:37:54 PM
Sermon    Tochnit Aleph 1996
The additional 8th sermon, also often titled "Go Violently".

Probably his most brutal lyrics. One of the favourites!

Quote from: niko penttinen on December 26, 2009, 04:11:36 PM
this might  be my favourite pe+industrial band. I seriously contemplated killing markkulan poika when he showed me his copy of the colour of a mans skin set.

I have very little to ad to this thread since my personal "collection" is not very impressive. but ill read it while wiping saliva from my red beard. these overviews/whatever things are great.

Not too hard to find for not too high a price.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=138392&ev=rb
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

This was first issued as 2xLP + 1 sided 7" and later the pic 7"/1sided thing was sent to all who bought it. But I think some couldn't be reached. I MIGHT have extra copy of the pic 7" thing what was free addition. If you happen to get version without it, let me know.
I think 60euro is still tolerable costs for such masterpiece. I doubt that the prices are likely to go down that much in future?

Lets see if I have time to continue with few things today..

FreakAnimalFinland

Con-Dom "Some people never get the chance" 7"
Kubitsuri tapes
Some people Some people Some people Some people Some people Some people Some people never. Some people never. never. never. never get never get. Never. Some people Some people Some people Some people Some people Some people Some people never. Some people never. never. never. never get never get. Never. some people never. never never get the chance... and so on. Lyrics of the song is only the one sentence, which is repeated in nearly "experimental poetry" method, although it's aggressive shouting through raw distortion. Loud and harsh high pitched noise is chaotically flooring everything ahead. It could be like Incapacitants with some additional sounds and hymns would be layered. Not exactly same, but you get some idea of utmost fastness of sound modulation.
Blue Sky on the 2nd side is strange. It is perhaps one of the most "dysfunctional" Con-Dom tracks. Sound just seems to be so intentionally fucked. All sounds are wowing and fluttering and changing pitch. Like walkman pause button manipulations, turntable rotation speed change etc. Vocals are reverbed clear shouting on top of song which goes from phase to another, but everything underneath seems to be underlining the imperfection, damage and plain weirdness. It's not the first time when I become paranoid about if my turntable is fucked. If it's not rotating 33 1/3, but actually changing it's pitch due some problem. Actually happened once, when electricity cord seems to be slightly out and turntable power not being constant. When I hear records like this, it often takes my focus away. Or maybe focuses too much. I had to listen some music with clear tones & pitch before I returned back to this 2nd track just to make sure this is indeed how it's meant to be.
I remember I was slightly disappointed with 7" when it came out after all the great sermons, especially since the cover is so brutally pixelated, and looking pretty crappy. But returns years later have proven that this IS not only good, but also highly exceptional. Just another release showing NOBODY does it like this. Not in past, not when this came out, and not these days. 100% unique.

Con-Dom / Militia / Laura Maes "familiedrama / pain" 7"
Praxis Dr. Bearmann
Already commented last week on PDB topic, but lets see what it really is... A-side is Militia providing environmental sounds and Con-Dom reconstruction sounds. We have strong pulse giving slow near heartbeat like pulse. Slow nearly sinning/vocal humming voice in distance. Ethereal keyboard with slow vibration. And layer of various field recordings going. Almost everything is relatively static and droney, but the field recordings give very very nice addition to whole texture. They are pretty random, but seems to follow certain amount of concept. In end of track you will hear possibly gunshots, female screams. Repeated is very unique sound of screeching metal through extensive manual delay. In the end, just the pulse fades away. Perhaps it was the ending heartbeat resulted by familydrama?
As I said before in PDB topic, it's just hard to associate this with either of the artists? This is great, but nobody would associate it with Con-Dom and probably not Militia either. It simply is so different from the other output at the time. Or ever.
On b-side music and words by Militia and cello by Laura Maes. Starts with ethereal humming with fast vibrating flanger, but immediately after that, I need to take by my words. THIS is total Militia. First vocal burst is like announcement from Militia organisation in beginning of the 3xLP, and after short cello improvisation moment, which sounds great by the way, the melancholic by very unmusical "keyboard percussion" starts. It goes through similar out-of-tune vibration like treatment though nearly unnoticed slow flanger/phaser. When the tones set the tempo, enters militaristic snare, small metal percussion elements, slow chords from cello, eerie whispering like female voice and suddenly whole piece starts to bring me recollections of Anita Lane debut 12" on Mute back in 89. With Neubauten, Nick Cave and co. helping her out to do tracks what also went to Ghosts of The Civil Dead movie soundtrack. I wish she would have continued the experimental music and not progressed into easylistening music not far from Nick Cave etc. In end of track synths start drone and classical violin music samples create noble atmosphere. Simply amazing. If you want for Con-Dom's violence, forget about it, but if you look for good industrial 7", simply no excuse. Especially 2nd hand copies circulate all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRH2DMcqVj0

...more to follow!

FreakAnimalFinland

CON-DOM  "Live in Japan 2003" CD+CDR special edition
Teito Sound Company
Since I just listened "Some people..." 7", this CD is logical to play next. There exists regular version of normal CD in jewelbox, but also super limited special version on double jewelbox with bonus CDR disc. 30 copies of this exist, and
Well, lets see about it. I think I have reviewed this before on noisefanatics, but lets forget about it and see again. Blue Sky opens the set, which I have reviewed above. This version is stronger and louder. More compressed and heavier perhaps? Overall the same. Followed by new version old classic Mastes Speaks, known already from "All in good faith" Simply utmost massive piece of fierce noise drones, religious atmosphere, growing electronic noise, commanding voice. This version dedicated to Shoko Asahara). One can wonder did anyone from Japan deal with this cult after infamous strikes other than Incapacitants in their "Sarin... will kill every bad aum" 7"? From the west, several PE bands covered the topic.  3rd song is Patriotism (Yukoku), originally from the debute 7" on Tesco. Sound is overall noisier and harsher, but luckily commanding echoing voice is still clean and strong on the top.  Then "Some people never get the chance" live. Again sound seems to be pushed harder and more compressed than original vinyl. More distortion, more in-your-face. You can recognize it is the same track, of course. Vocal delivery is different. And the sound. Now vocals are mangled through extensive phaser, totally inhumanizing them to electronic noise as opposed to original clear yet fuzzed vocals.
Hatred from sermon #2 continues the brutal noise approach. Everything pushed to louder and harsher and vocals malformed into bubbling phaser assault. Many are Called but few get up from collaboration with Grey Wolves. It continues the mood into logical end. Malformed phaser voice, brutal violent industrial-noise assault. Again must be much more noisier and violent than LP version.
CD booklet comes with lyrics and live photos and very nice design, but it does fail to mention that this isn't totally "pure" live recording. According to artist, some additions & "enhancement" was necessary to make release worthy of publication. And while I do appreciate aim for good release, I think maybe giving mention that it is studio treated material would be good? Nevertheless, I can only say that this is great. If you own original versions of tracks, this is worth to get. If you don't own any of those originals, you can survive this as substitute for a while. It is violent, harsh and abrasive. Just great.
Disc #2 is live in 20000V on same "tour". And you probably hear now how these actually sounded like before studio treatment? It is much closer to nature of the oldest live tapes. Lo-fi, thin, raw, fierce...  Tracklist is different than disc #1, so it makes it worthy to listen to, but being such a lo-fi live recording, it doesn't match to the power of the studio tracks. Especially effected vocals are almost like some distant noise on the back, clean vocals work better and especially pleasury to hear some War Against Society materia... Still, I'd prefer this over majority of "raw PE" of today, since it simply has more character and primitive rawness in sound. If you have chance to buy this for fair price, don't hesitate, but if someone is asking for brutal collectors price due tiny edition, I would advice rather to invest money on something more valuable Con-Dom release.

...more to follow.

FreakAnimalFinland

This was item I wanted to review next, but couldn't find it for weeks. Finally today after hours of cleaning & organizing, suddenly I see it somewhere where it should have not been.. Good to listen it again and remind how good it actually was.

CON-DOM "control domination" CD
Armed & Loaded
I remember when this was not published yet. And artists mentioned to me its been delayed like 5-6 years. At that time, it felt like lifetime. Well, later I have learned that it happens. Also in my own case. Anyway, when SFCR moved to USA, changed name as A&L, he finally got handful of exceptionally good CD's done, and this was one of them. CD bolted between two tiles, like slices of rock. Silkscreened art on top.
Album was recorded at 1993, so in actual timeline it should be placed as 2nd studio album. Between this and 8 pillars was "prince of our disorder" 3"+tape with live materials. And after it Acts of Faith 3" on Tesco and other smaller things. 7 songs in total, and playingtime over 70 minutes indicates that there are massive tracks here. Most notable ones should be the classic Locust Day, where the nature of concept sounds used in Con-Dom is present again. As main "electronics", is infact the sound of locusts. Or even more massive 20 minute title track culmination Control Domination! With diversity of sounds and the studio production, I'd still rate this album among the most violent works of Con-Dom. Compared to 8 Pillars of Acts of Faith, one can sense here much more severe punishment through high pitched electronic assaults and raw tape manipulations. Vocals most often are distorted or mangled through effects for maximum sonic damage. As opposed to reverbed preachers voice. Each track stands on its own. Some of them may be slightly too extended in length to maintain the utmost force whole playing time, but I'm not complaining. Lyrics are printed in insert. Many lines stand out as exceptional. Locust Day: Hear the night roar, feel the power, tear it all down, it moves me. I am insect, I am swarm, I am man, I am mass. Look at those eyes, where'd you get those eyes, insect eyes, those empty eyes, all those eyes, like a plague, disease, live vermin. I am liberty, I am freedom, I cleanse, I purge, Destroyer of the world. Locust Day. While lyric is rather obscure, with typical backing film reference to Day of the Locust, one can start to investigate the content and symbolism. The Day of the Locust original book, about usa great depression times, but filled with biblical references. Exordus, apocalypse,.. and not only that, but also some suggest book has metaphors of rising fascism in Europe at the time (book came out 1939). Some lyrics appear to be utmost rude and offensive. Church Without Christ opens with Sin is a trick of niggers, sin ain't on my books, sin ain't in my economy, I don't believe in sin ....... But despite the provocations, it has more. Lyrics are well written and despite the so called cliche topics of denounce on christianity, it has more anger and more depth than many juvenile attempts to do so. And it has more balls and more violence than many more philosophical and humanistic approaches. I preach the new church: The church  without christ. Where the blind man don't see, criples don't walk, where what's dead stays dead. Where the blood of jesus don't foul. There is no fall, no redemption, no judgement.

500 was made, and unfortunately many of them destroyed by scratches due packaging. If you don't have it yet, keep your fingers crossed someone will get opportunity to re-issue with standard packaging and reasonable price!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcNszjdSaVE

FreakAnimalFinland

Acts of Faith was pressd 900, so it is much more than any Con-Dom at that time. It's strange how little copies seem to be in circulation? My copy of the Taint/S&Q/Con-Dom box set came nearly plain white. All stickers were still inside the box, that you could put it together in d.i.y. style. Label's overseas policy to not have offensive art on top of box if custom opens it.

FreakAnimalFinland

Topic of CE made me remember this. Lets dig it up from 3 years of sinking in message history...

I recall there was some rumors of Con-Dom part of War Against Society getting reissued... Hopefully!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFvkxt5ujxg
MOOR RAPIST!

In June, Berlin festival will have first ever screening of Con-Dom super-8 film materials. I assume many of them have not been seen by too many people and they are now first time digitalized. Including most of all 80's material.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cIXXatYJU0
MASTER SPEAKS!

Note: I have added several youtube links after old reviews in previous messages for those who want quickly check out some songs.

vomitgore

Quote from: SILVUM on January 25, 2010, 06:35:12 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 24, 2010, 04:58:37 PM
CON-DOM "control domination" CD
Armed & Loaded
I remember when this was not published yet. And...

I didn't really like the album the first time I listened, I was in the mood for harsh and loud vocals and thick tracks, but obviously this is a carefully considered masterpiece where sounds make sense and serve each track, no pointless loud and hard about nothing.  When I re-listened to it later (after rediscovering it in one of my boxes of noise stuff) it was clear I was dealing with a brilliant piece of sonic extremity.  The pacing which I at first found tedious is really like a forced march towards saturation of texture and mood.

Same here. At first I wasn't too impressed due to the thickness of the sound which made it a bit too static for my taste. I popped it back in a weeks ago and was really fucking impressed. I guess it's one of these albums that needs more than one listen.

I bought my copy from ebay for just over ten euros, real bargain. How was it originally packaged? Mine has the stone plate things as well as a jewel case with xeroxed cover (obviously copied from the stone plate) and a better printed back inlay. Was that part of the original edition or just a bonus from the seller?

HongKongGoolagong

The text of 'Moor Rapist' was taken entirely from a character's speech in British crime drama TV show Cracker - a psychopathic cop who rapes a female colleague. Always fun to find Con-Dom source material. 'Road To Total Freedom' is entirely from a chapter in L Ron Hubbard's 'Dianetics' which illustrates mental problems relating to domination or something like that.

War Against Society really is a kind of peak in his work alongside Colour of a Man's Skin, the Sermons and Acts Of Faith and it very much deserves a standalone reissue.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 25, 2010, 09:47:20 AM
Acts of Faith was pressd 900, so it is much more than any Con-Dom at that time. It's strange how little copies seem to be in circulation? My copy of the Taint/S&Q/Con-Dom box set came nearly plain white. All stickers were still inside the box, that you could put it together in d.i.y. style. Label's overseas policy to not have offensive art on top of box if custom opens it.

For some reason, Mike's text didn't get printed properly so he or the label made these clear stickers to fill in the blank letters. I don't believe I heard from anyone else who received copies of the boxset they had to assemble themselves. I bet Red Stream was just being lazy.

A reissue with "Act of Faith" & War Against Society material would be most welcome!

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: kettu on December 26, 2009, 04:11:36 PM
this might  be my favourite pe+industrial band.

I have very little to ad to this thread since my personal "collection" is not very impressive.

This.

Really really really wished I could have attended the Extreme Rituals fest just to have listened to Mike speak about "confrontation". Was wondering if anyone video taped the panel discussions?

KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

BARRIKAD

First tapes on control domination, very direct.
War Against Society for sure.
The collaborations with nails of christ/GW
Lost my x of the holy communion on a game of poker - worst hands ever.

Black_Angkar

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 24, 2010, 04:58:37 PM
T I preach the new church: The church  without christ. Where the blind man don't see, criples don't walk, where what's dead stays dead. Where the blood of jesus don't foul. There is no fall, no redemption, no judgement.

Just a thought/sidenote. This could be a reference to the movie Wise Blood from -79, which is about a man going about preaching the church without Christ ?- Just these words "there is no fall" etc are used similiarly in the monologues, as well as the element of gauging eyes/voluntarily blinding. Perhaps this is a well-known reference? I just haven't thought about it until now...