Picture Disc

Started by Johann, January 11, 2017, 11:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johann

Searching for opinions regarding these. I don't buy them generally as it's not my thing, yet occasionally I'll be interested in something and the picture disc is the only thing that exist (or rather is easily available). Do you find these to be inferior in quality compared to standard LPs? Purely for collectors that don't listen? Is this the same as the chrome vs standard cassettes discussion? Let me know your thoughts and opinions.

Goat93

Depends on the Pressing Plant Quality Standart. I have 80's Picture LP (like for example some Iron Maiden or Judas Priest) who sounds 1A after all these Years and Pressed in 2016 who have Shitty Sound Quality. Most Newer LP's (Black, Coloured and Picture Versions) are crappy.

Johann

That sounds about right, most of my recent issues with purchases have been LP quality. Thinly pressed black vinyl. Not enough plants caring about their quality now a days.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Johann on January 12, 2017, 07:20:54 PM
That sounds about right, most of my recent issues with purchases have been LP quality. Thinly pressed black vinyl. Not enough plants caring about their quality now a days.

plants and original labels there to make £.
re noise, you ignore as part of experience, or be critical.
got a macronympha split lp that sounds fine, along with coloured vinyl.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Johann on January 11, 2017, 11:38:05 PM
Do you find these to be inferior in quality compared to standard LPs?

They are absolutely inferior in sound quality.

Quote from: Johann on January 12, 2017, 07:20:54 PM
Thinly pressed black vinyl. Not enough plants caring about their quality now a days.

Today's vinyl standards leave a lot to be desired for sure, but it really has nothing to do with how thick or thin the record is. Records from the mid-70s are about as thin as you could get, and often sound great.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Johann

When I say thin I think what I ment to say is I don't feel like the grooves are cut deep enough. It could just be consequences of environment (wood floors with crappy joist)  I notice certain vinyl records want to skate on the turn table or every step moves the vinyl. It only happens to some records so I assumed maybe the grooves weren't deep enough.

I wanted to ask because I want to get the Revue Ou, and the picture disc vinyl set is cheaper than the cds, but I think I'll reconsider and keep my eyes out for the cd version. Damn shame they felt the need to make it picture disc

impulse manslaughter

Do not expect that Revue OU box on Alga Marghen to sound good as most of their vinyl releases are bad pressings..