SWANS (early)

Started by BlackHole, September 16, 2016, 04:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackHole

I recently saw Swans live, and I've never been a big fan of their newer material (post Children of God). I don't hate it, but am definitely less enthusiastic about it. The show was really great and it inspired me go go home and spin my early Swans records. Filth, COP, Greed as well as the Young God EP remain some of my favorite records. Especially COP and Young God. Not much else achieves the same level of visceral, raw brutality, anger and emotion. The track "Your Property" off of the COP LP is an all time favorite and has been somewhat of an anthem for me. The live album "Public Castration Is a Good Idea" is also fucking excellent and quite possibly the best live album of all time for me.

Discuss...

david lloyd jones

not listened to the swans in a dogs age.
only appreciate early stuff-mostly pre greed, holy money stuff. hated the jarboe era stuff.
later was interested to find out they used tape loops in their live sets to give a churning, disorienting quality-a comp, can't remember the name gives examples.

GEWALTMONOPOL

The live video A Long Slow Screw is about as perfect as anything can get. Jarboe is in the band by this point but don't let that put you off. Even the closing ballad between her and Gira is brutal as hell.

What their reunion stuff is like I have never heard and I don't intend to either. Fuck that.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

absurdexposition

"Public Castration..." is essential.

The first of the comeback albums "My Father..." is great. The other three triple fucking LPs have given me little interest - and some of what I heard is just flat out annoying.

I do enjoy later stuff like "White Light..." quite a bit.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Zeno Marx

I don't believe the material from the last few albums was intended for listening in studio form, but the albums exist for product to sell.  That material was always intended by Gira to be heard and experienced live.  I've heard a few live recordings from the last couple of tours that were crushing and fantastic.  They smoke the studio versions.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

david lloyd jones

sorry guys.
appreciate artists desire to develop and progress, but I like what I like.

ANDROPHILIA

strangely i'm a fun of lasts Swans more than early
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

david lloyd jones

each to their own.
my response id likely due to my tastes at the time
other times, other tastes.
equally, that an artist wants to 'progress' doesn't mean the listener wants to follow.
intellectual liking of progression does not equal emotional liking of prior/current sounds.

impulse manslaughter

Got some of their stuff but rarely listen to it.. Should give it another try!

david lloyd jones

well, yes, according to my aesthetic, but add old stuff according to others.
of course what i say is more important!

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: Dr Alex on September 17, 2016, 10:56:22 PM
Old classics are amazing but I like also Swans Are Dead live and The Seer is great one!
there is an intense version of the sound in this live.
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

absurdexposition

Quote from: Zeno Marx on September 17, 2016, 09:20:12 PM
I don't believe the material from the last few albums was intended for listening in studio form, but the albums exist for product to sell.  That material was always intended by Gira to be heard and experienced live.  I've heard a few live recordings from the last couple of tours that were crushing and fantastic.  They smoke the studio versions.

Seen them twice on the tours on this recent stuff and both times were great for sure.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

HOGRA

These are my personal favorites:

Public Castration Is A Good Idea
Cop
Omniscience
Body To Body, Job To Job
Children Of God
Anonymous Bodies In An Empty Room

HongKongGoolagong

Saw the Swans in 1987 and found their schtick extremely cheesy and hammy - I was still a teenager but could tell when people were pimping out their 'pain'. Big Black were much better as a live band. I seem to have a great deal of their work, a lot of which doesn't get many plays. Body To Body, Job To Job is a terrific compilation of the Cop/Raping A Slave era material which may be actually superior to the original cuts - currently available as a bonus disc with the Filth reissue.

Holy Money and Love Of Life have some better tracks than others from the gothy Jarboe years, and I have sneaking regard for the 'Burning World' Laswell major label experiment - absolutely great and devastating Blind Faith cover on there. Reformation material has been something of a bore.