Fight Your Own War: Power Electronics and Noise Culture

Started by Hakaristi, August 22, 2016, 09:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSR

I really wanted to like this book. The self-congratulatory tone on the early chapters was off-putting, but they were informative, and enjoyable overall. The first part could use some additions though - chapters on Swedish, German and Japanese scenes would be welcome, as well as one about notable projects from other countries. And generally more on UK and US would be great too. After that it went downhill (with occasional ups like the chapter on HNW). The ending however... Oh, boy. First we get someone complaining about lack of humour in pe, then we get a raving feminist spewing 'white man bad' propaganda and complaining she's not as popular as these 'sexist' men. I would really like to have a chapter appreciating women that do good in pe (Pharmakon, Puce Mary, Sewer Goddess, Lana del Rabies) instead of this narcissistic, man-hating rant. Overall, I hope that will not be the last book on the subject, and that the next one will be better.

n a a r a

I have read some articles (not all of them) on this book and I have similar thoughts like the previous user but for different reasons. I think the articles have great variation in them for good and the worst. Some of them are very interesting and well-written, others more like self-centered bragging. Great writing skills and significancy in DIY music scenes don't obviously walk hand in hand. Curating and editing books like this is very hard when working on non-profit setting or something like that and it is not helped by the limited interest of skilled publishers. I really hope more quality literature on noise and PE is on its way.

I recommend this book to readers who share the passion for this kind of music/sound AND are able to put their critical glasses on while reading! If you read it as a handbook/overview to power electronics... no. Just don't do it.

burdizzo1

Neuesachlichkeit - Programmed To Kill is a thousand times better. And it has a CD, too.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: burdizzo1 on October 04, 2021, 08:21:31 PM
Neuesachlichkeit - Programmed To Kill is a thousand times better. And it has a CD, too.

Wasn't that mostly interviews though?  Also, to be fair, the special edition did come with a downloadable compilation (though it does not look as good as the one you mention).

burdizzo1

Yes, there are a lot of interviews, but also artwork and a few essays. Ulex Xane is in both books, but "Neuesachlichkeit" is both fresher and much closer to the bone, and makes "Fight Your Own War" seem sanitised by comparison. However, I get your point; it's not necessarily a scene overview, but more an embracing of the grimier - read 'Nazi'/ Sex/ Death - p.e. outliers. But it's well presented an more of an art project than "Fight...", too. Right down to the inclusion of a human tooth!
CD beats download code - any day!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: burdizzo1 on October 04, 2021, 10:53:12 PM
Yes, there are a lot of interviews, but also artwork and a few essays. Ulex Xane is in both books, but "Neuesachlichkeit" is both fresher and much closer to the bone, and makes "Fight Your Own War" seem sanitised by comparison. However, I get your point; it's not necessarily a scene overview, but more an embracing of the grimier - read 'Nazi'/ Sex/ Death - p.e. outliers. But it's well presented an more of an art project than "Fight...", too. Right down to the inclusion of a human tooth!
CD beats download code - any day!

Fair enough (and absolutely right about the cd!).  The books seem to each have a different project that they are trying to accomplish.  Part of me wishes that I had purchased a copy of Neusachlichkeit (and the first one) when it was available, but I just don't like the people behind it.

burdizzo1

Oh? What's wrong with them?!

Anyway, they did a reprint of an additional 50 copies last month, so some of those might still be available?

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: burdizzo1 on October 04, 2021, 11:11:10 PM
Oh? What's wrong with them?!

Anyway, they did a reprint of an additional 50 copies last month, so some of those might still be available?

It was the animal abuse stuff that put me off.  I don't care too much about humans (hence, I have zero problem with the content of their book), but I just did not want to give them my money.  Perhaps I will buy it second hand one day.

burdizzo1

Theodore

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 04, 2021, 11:26:58 PM
It was the animal abuse stuff that put me off.  I don't care too much about humans (hence, I have zero problem with the content of their book), but I just did not want to give them my money.  Perhaps I will buy it second hand one day.

What animal abuse you talking about ? - Indeed, for me too, animal abuse / unjustified cruelty against animals [human excluded] is probably the only thing that can emotionaly hurt me, and i need to punish / revenge such people. - Animals are my sensitive spot. Point a gun on my head and force me to kill a man or a dog [both unknowns to me] , there is no dilemma, man is dead. - Still, ofcource i eat meat, would kill to eat or protect myself and my people.

Re: money : A product is a product. If i like it, need it, i dont care who made it and if it is 'good' guy / company or who owns the store.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

vomitgore

The allegations of animal abuse regarding Neue Sachlichkeit are factually wrong. I know the creator(s) very well and was aware of most of the production steps. People involved have reptiles and the creators buy frozen rats as reptile food. Parts of those were included. Every Noise artist who has ever had a McDonalds meal is more of an animal abuser than that.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: vomitgore on October 05, 2021, 01:21:01 PM
People involved have reptiles and the creators buy frozen rats as reptile food.

If only they presented it in such a sterile manner.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/officialneuesachlichkeit/photos/?ref=page_internal

I will admit that I might have been wrong about them being actively abusive, but with some of the photos that they have posted can I really be blamed for thinking what I did?

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Theodore on October 05, 2021, 11:17:46 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 04, 2021, 11:26:58 PM

What animal abuse you talking about ?

I was referring to their use of photos of mutilated rats/blood from cutting them up (presumably) for promotional purposes.

vomitgore

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 05, 2021, 05:19:11 PM
Quote from: vomitgore on October 05, 2021, 01:21:01 PM
People involved have reptiles and the creators buy frozen rats as reptile food.

If only they presented it in such a sterile manner.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/officialneuesachlichkeit/photos/?ref=page_internal

I will admit that I might have been wrong about them being actively abusive, but with some of the photos that they have posted can I really be blamed for thinking what I did?

Well, it's not really a question of blaming, more a bit of background Information. As far as I know, those pics were heavily influenced by "High Risk Lifestyle" era BU where there was also a dead rat in the LP special edition and various artwork with cut open rats and such.

Theodore

I guess what you do with an already dead body can be called art. Not abuse, definitely, given it wasnt killed for your purposes. Noone is hurt, more. If someone likes that or not, it's up to him. I for sure wouldnt like if instead of rats it was a more familiar species, i would get angry actualy, but i couldnt accuse him for anything more than ... hurting my feelings, heh.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"