Nurse with Wound

Started by 13, June 19, 2016, 10:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

You mean Huffin' Rag Blues, I presume? Yes, it was the last NWW material I bought, and I disliked it so much, I never bought another thing by him!

david lloyd jones

with more recent (or indeed not that recent) stuff you get the impression he can churn stuff out with little commitment-remember his puzzled response to the reception to salt Marie Celeste as a cave when it came out as he put little effort into it.

also in terms of sound there does appear to be a clear break between his output on LSD and his output post (though still likely stoned).

cr

I only know and own a rather small part of the NWW discography (10-15 records), but out of these my favourites are Salt Mary Celeste (great how it progresses very slowly), all Shipwreck Radio discs and - for special occasions - Soliloquy for Lilith.

david lloyd jones

NWW were at the start of my fixation with 'industrial' music. individually and on various comps of the time(eighties), their contributions to C93, DIJ and others are rather overlooked in this kind of forum, if lionised in something like 'England's hidden reverse' book by dave keenan.
(as an aside, there are a few bands that seem to, after taking control of their history and back catalogue (as well as diversifying onto other genres-which may or may not be code for dance orientated stuff) , have been by passed in the more recent historification of older industrial music and artistes

FreakAnimalFinland

Been listening NWW Flawed Existence box set on VOD. 4 LP's, 10", 5",... in neat red velvet like box. Some early tapes here, as well as compilation tracks and unreleased ones. Main thing to write about this, is that if someone has this on shelves, I'd recommend to check out the condition of LP's.

Same with the VOD's Psychnic TV box set, with the industrial-strength glue used in attaching velvet to LP cardboard, some surprise revealed later on. This actually reacts with the vinyl itself, causing vinyls to "melt". I was unlucky enough to have storage Psyhic TV LP's between gatefold covers and therefore the glue melted one side of each LP in this 4xLP set..... You can still play them, but there is LOUD veil of hiss on top of everything and vinyl turns to matte-grey'ish. It doesn't matter that the LP's were inside polylined innersleeves!

With NWW box, all the LP's were luckily outside covers, but also not in physical touch with any of the velvet. However, the 10" with unreleased NWW recording was inside the cover and similarly "melted". Worthless to listen anymore.

Now that years have passed, I'd recommend to check what has happened to your NWW (or PTV) boxes if you have them. It would be quite curious to see if some dealers have stashed "mint" limited membership boxes what are now ruined unlistenable......................
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Marko-V

Bloody hell! Talk about some occupational hazard. I checked my (rarely opened) NWW box (bought from a certain dealer in Lahti, by the way) and noticed that 10" and single LP's have been indeed exposed to some glue-n-matte-n-hiss treatment looking really greyish and etchings hardly visible anymore but the double LP is fine. My PTV LP's are fine. Since getting them I have stored them all inside innersleeves and covers, so it seems like it is accidental which records have been more ruined than others?
Eh, maybe VOD have invented self-degenerating vinyl but forgot to tell customers about it.

FreakAnimalFinland

I asked them about it, and seems like he'll be repressing PTV vinyls. I'd hope to be able to get replacement NWW 10", but not sure how much label can invest or who is responsible for such thing....

In my case, with NWW 10", it's odd that it reacted even if it was inside the cover. Others were when LP is outside the cover - next to "velvet". But indeed, very odd that it reacts through polylined paper innersleeves too... If enough people would find out about possible damages of the records, perhaps it would be better motivation for VOD to make represses of these couple titles.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Marko-V

Contacted Frank and he told me he's having NWW records re-produced in red vinyl.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 15, 2016, 04:07:03 PM
Been listening NWW Flawed Existence box set on VOD. 4 LP's, 10", 5",... in neat red velvet like box. Some early tapes here, as well as compilation tracks and unreleased ones. Main thing to write about this, is that if someone has this on shelves, I'd recommend to check out the condition of LP's.

Same with the VOD's Psychnic TV box set, with the industrial-strength glue used in attaching velvet to LP cardboard, some surprise revealed later on. This actually reacts with the vinyl itself, causing vinyls to "melt". I was unlucky enough to have storage Psyhic TV LP's between gatefold covers and therefore the glue melted one side of each LP in this 4xLP set..... You can still play them, but there is LOUD veil of hiss on top of everything and vinyl turns to matte-grey'ish. It doesn't matter that the LP's were inside polylined innersleeves!

With NWW box, all the LP's were luckily outside covers, but also not in physical touch with any of the velvet. However, the 10" with unreleased NWW recording was inside the cover and similarly "melted". Worthless to listen anymore.

Now that years have passed, I'd recommend to check what has happened to your NWW (or PTV) boxes if you have them. It would be quite curious to see if some dealers have stashed "mint" limited membership boxes what are now ruined unlistenable......................

don't have either so reaction purely theoretical, but I can hardly see label lack of foresight as blameworthy.
recall several current93 and nww cd's as potentially liable to disc rot-hardly their fault and luckily for them the manufacturers offered swaps. that said, affected cd's still play fine.
sometimes , life conspires against and you just have to deal with it and buy it again.
would rather buy the new again than ptv. whilst the temple still interests, the band, post major label misadventures  have limited appeal

aububs

just checked my Flawed Existence box and all the LPs look visibly fine. haven't had a chance to play them yet. maybe they'll be a bit hissy when i do.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: aububs on December 19, 2016, 08:59:31 PM
just checked my Flawed Existence box and all the LPs look visibly fine. haven't had a chance to play them yet. maybe they'll be a bit hissy when i do.

play them man, we are all on tenterhooks!

Steve

My NWW vinyl (VOD) play just fine, as do the PTV records ....

magnus

Have anyone heard the two recent NWW cds?
I used to be a huge fan, but the limited edition hysteria and more uniform sound of last few years made me lose interest. Didn´t like that "Huffin´rag.." lp at all - think it was the last i bought. But "Salt Marie Celeste" on the other hand is among the very best and a later one, so he might very well still have it in him.
NWW played a concert here in Stockholm a year ago, was very nice to speak a bit to Steve Stapleton, but the gig was not that exciting. Seems like they´re stuck in a loop since quite a while.

Zeno Marx

Spiral Insana was just re-released on 2LP in a couple different versions.  Looks like it got the GZ treatment.

"Here on Rotorelief, the definitive complete sessions of Spiral Insana; the original LP of 1986 plus session recordings and the one sided album track, A Missing Sense, also recorded during these sessions (A tribute to Robert Ashley's, Automatic Writing)."
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Brad

Quote from: david lloyd jones on June 30, 2016, 08:07:46 PM
also in terms of sound there does appear to be a clear break between his output on LSD and his output post (though still likely stoned).

Which NWW album was the last LSD-influenced one?