Nurse with Wound

Started by 13, June 19, 2016, 10:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been wanting to dive deeper into Steven Stapleton's work ever since I first heard Merzbild Schwet, but I am only now getting around to it. I tried to search for a thread on NWW, but was surprised to come up short-handed. Any fans out there?

burdizzo

Used to be a big fan ages ago, but have lost interest over the years. Still enjoy the creepy 'Homopathy to Marie', the hilarious 'The Ladies Home Tickler', as well as 'Thunder Perfect Mind', and 'Ostranine 1913', however. The track 'A New Dress' on the 'A Bead To A Small Mouth compilation was what got me hooked - you really have to hear that if you haven't already: the dark and unsettling suspense easily overriding the banality of the story. Haven't investigated much since the turn of the century, as I was going down other avenues, although I did catch him live around then, and it wasn't too bad...

impulse manslaughter

One of my favorite acts. Listened to all the (40+) records i own over the last few weeks while reading the Englands Hidden Reverse reprint. Love Steve's editing/mixing. My favorites are Spiral Insana, Merzbild Schwet, Homotopy To Marie & Soliloquy For Lilith..

Zeno Marx

You can't talk about NwW without highlighting Chrystal Belle Scrodd (including Beastings) and Diana Rogerson's other work.  They're every bit as great as the best NwW material.  When I see she releases something, I can't wait to hear it.

Merzbild Schwet, for my money, is a high-water mark in the history of experimental music, and when I was first getting into this type of music, the title Chance Meeting On A Dissecting Table Of A Sewing Machine And An Umbrella represented all the mystery, fascination, allure, and excitement I was feeling.  I don't care to listen to The Sylvie and Babs Hi-Fi Companion album very often, but in the realm of tape cut-up and construction, I think it deserves to be at the top of the vat.  It and the Bladder Flask album are worthy of study (along with a couple others that are related).

favorites:
Merzbild Schwet
Soliloquy for Lilith
Salt Marie Celeste

recent recommendations:
Faust/Nurse with Wound - Disconnected 2007 - a couple of VERY nice droning tracks and some processed vocals that sound like Tuvan Throat Singers or Gyuto monks - when Faust takes the lead, its far less successful than when NwW takes the wheel.
Nurse with Wound - Soundpooling 2006 - has some additional layers, which almost make it feel like Merzbild Schwet+Salt Marie Celeste - great results - Recommended.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Anyone have any opinions on the collabs with Graham Bowers...? (Already five on disogs fer fucksake...)

Quick and lazy list of (mostly more recent mostly recommendable) NWW (love all the earlier shit too!):

Spiral Insana
Lumb's Sister (!)
Man With The Woman Face
Alice The Goon
Funeral Music For Perez Prado
Angry Electric Finger (all of them)
Shipwreck Radio Volume One
Shipwreck Radio: Final Broadcasts
Sand Tangled Woman
The Little Dipper Minus Two
Soundpooling
Disconnected (w/Faust)
Tooth, Teeth, Milk, Skin, Teeth
Requital For Lady Day
The Continuous Accident
Space Music
The Memory Surface
The Surveillance Lounge
Erroneous,  A Selection Of Errors (w/Larsen)
4 Orphans (w/irr. app. (ext.))
Der Brennende Acker (w/Andrew Liles)
Orgasm Mix

Still dithering about

Dream Memory (samples sounds aiight)
Chromanatron
Contrary Motion

Among other easy sources, I now check the bandcamp every month or so. Which reminds me... holy fuck, what in hell is Dark Fat?

https://nursewithwound1.bandcamp.com/album/dark-fat
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

aububs

I love a lot of NWW but Spiral Insana is my first, last and always.

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 20, 2016, 04:51:17 PM
Quick and lazy list of (mostly more recent mostly recommendable) NWW (love all the earlier shit too!):

Spiral Insana
Lumb's Sister (!)
Man With The Woman Face
Alice The Goon
Sand Tangled Woman
Soundpooling
Disconnected (w/Faust)
Requital For Lady Day
The Continuous Accident
Space Music
The Memory Surface
The Surveillance Lounge
Erroneous,  A Selection Of Errors
4 Orphans
Der Brennende Acker
Orgasm Mix

I do not own most of these.. I do have Space Music but can't get into it at all..

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on June 21, 2016, 01:26:40 AM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 20, 2016, 04:51:17 PM

Spiral Insana
Lumb's Sister (!)
Man With The Woman Face
Alice The Goon
Sand Tangled Woman
Soundpooling
Disconnected (w/Faust)
Requital For Lady Day
The Continuous Accident
Space Music
The Memory Surface
The Surveillance Lounge
Erroneous,  A Selection Of Errors
4 Orphans
Der Brennende Acker
Orgasm Mix

I do not own most of these.. I do have Space Music but can't get into it at all..

I took me a while to get into that one, and there are times when I'm almost sure I still can't. Like Stapleton is trying to re-present the vastness (and vast boredom) of space. But it was on some boring afternoon in a slightly distracted state, the shit on repeat and the ears finally conceding they were actually into it. Definitely not of the instant wood variety...

Maybe Surveillance Lounge would be the most classically Nursey of the more (relatively) recent shit. A tad slow for some, perhaps, but all the elements I like are there- consistently unsettled surreal atmosphere gentrified with some woozy synthetic 'scapes.
And take you for a drag

Some music is only for special occasions, but that does not mean it is any less valid.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 20, 2016, 04:51:17 PM4 Orphans (w/irr. app. (ext.))

Also am a bit intrigued to learn more about irr. app. (ext.). Second rate NWW wannabe or worthy of further investigation?

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 20, 2016, 03:34:22 AM
You can't talk about NwW without highlighting Chrystal Belle Scrodd (including Beastings) and Diana Rogerson's other work.  They're every bit as great as the best NwW material.  When I see she releases something, I can't wait to hear it.

Agreed. I even quite liked the relatively recent one with Liles.

Speaking of 2nd rate nww wannabes, I notice now on discogs there is a fairly recent irr. app. (ext.) mix/collab of Fistfuck...

https://www.discogs.com/irr-app-ext-Diana-Rogerson-Fistfuck-The-Famine-Road/master/451125

Any takers?
And take you for a drag

coinbender

Salt Marie Celeste  is pretty epic . used to listen a lot also  to A Handjob From The Laughing Policeman and Man with the Woman face.

useless information : noticed that the Shipwreck Radio: Final Broadcasts artwork is used partially in quack quack /milos olympus cs artwork.
well

david lloyd jones

re: recent nww gig in London.
me and a mate intended to go, had tickets, but were so drunk that we spent several hours wandering east London backstreets only to arrive at the venue as the audience were leaving (still quite early in the evening).
decided this was the best part of the evening and a good third and final way to see new live.

impulse manslaughter

The show last month @ Incubate Festival was great. Saw them live 2 times before but this was my favorite by far..

poserspotted

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 21, 2016, 03:04:00 AM

Also am a bit intrigued to learn more about irr. app. (ext.). Second rate NWW wannabe or worthy of further investigation?

Absolutely worthy of further investigation. TONS of interesting stuff. The releases on Helen Scarsdale and Beta-Lactam Ring come to mind as especially great. The double cd-r "piano record" is one you can probably avoid. One of those artists that I don't necessarily always want to hear but every time I put one on, am totally blown away.

NO PART OF IT

I will second Surveillance Lounge, but add that I think it is the best gateway to NWW material.  If you don't like that one, you won't likely get into too much else.

Space Music is highly enjoyable for me.  It is ambient music without the beard-scratching, sound for sound's sake, but with a vague sense of beauty (and space).  Plus I am a sucker for those hardbound LP jackets.

Speaking of....  The Musty Odor of Pierced Rectums is also like that, and the collage art is great.  On brown vinyl.  The material is very minimal, vocal musique concret maybe?  Little tidbits.  I enjoy it.

There is also "She and Me Fall Together in Free Death".  That one has some krautrock elements and a particularly dirgey cover of "Black Is The Color of my True Love's Hair", and otherwise excellent ambient sounds.   

There are plenty of albums I think are great by them/him, but people don't talk much about Alice The Goon. 
There is a ten minute long loop of lounge music with synth skronk over the top and it's absolutely infectious to me.  Plus, again, very good ambient music, but that's not a gateway, that's for going deeper. 

As for the collaborations with Graham Bowers, I don't think it's bad, what I've heard on Spotify, but it just sort of felt like dialing it in. 

But of the most popular albums of NWW, I'd say I prefer Thunder Perfect Mind.  It features David Tibet and members of COIL, and Tibet isn't too intrusive, or vocal.  Whatever his input, it seems to be sonic, and it's interesting (preferable to these ears, I have to admit).  Great odd, surrealistic soundtrack/soundscape material. 

I frankly haven't heard a NWW album that I thought was bad/forgettable/not worth returning to, but the closest one to it would be "Gas Huffin' Blues".  It is an attempt at relatively straight lounge/exotica vibes, with varying degrees of success.   When it is successful, I enjoy it, but that is admittedly about half the time, maybe.  I much prefer to own the 12" single that came with it, not remembering the name of it right now, but it has a remix on it that is well worth the admission, and to me is important in the NWW cannon. 

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com