BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosef666

Quote from: CVMN on February 11, 2021, 05:55:10 PM
Debut release from this new brazilian Black/Punk act.
Always sick to come up with some actual refreshing Black/Punk sounds and Falsa Voz do it perfectly. Clear comparisons can be done to classics such as Bone Awl or the golden age of Posh Isolation however Falsa Luz really make a sound of their own.

Cold and life-draining sounds, ridden with nihilism and misanthropy. Dark lifeless riffing, with great hooks, stellar post-punkish interludes and sorrowful vocals. Such a sick and memorable tape, definitely some of the best Black/Punk I've heard in recent years.
(Rites of Pestilence review)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv4O-wy3eSE
Great tape! I have some copies in the US at Analog Worship. Definitely captures that pre-techno-era PI vibe perfectly a la Sexdrome.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

deviated_septum

Quote from: CVMN on February 11, 2021, 05:55:10 PM
Debut release from this new brazilian Black/Punk act.
Always sick to come up with some actual refreshing Black/Punk sounds and Falsa Voz do it perfectly. Clear comparisons can be done to classics such as Bone Awl or the golden age of Posh Isolation however Falsa Luz really make a sound of their own.

Cold and life-draining sounds, ridden with nihilism and misanthropy. Dark lifeless riffing, with great hooks, stellar post-punkish interludes and sorrowful vocals. Such a sick and memorable tape, definitely some of the best Black/Punk I've heard in recent years.
(Rites of Pestilence review)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv4O-wy3eSE
Great to see people still doing this kind of thing well. It was a sound that got saturated really quickly and then felt like vanished overnight. Thank you for posting!

NerveGas

Sagatrakavashen - Saga Of Darkness 1988-2018 2xLP

Mere months after I discovered this Italian band F.O.A.D. announced this release. Just picked it up and it's killer as expected. I have some small gripes with the labels graphic design on a lot of releases, but that is besides the point. For those who have not heard this band, it is raw as fuck basement black metal that really taps into a unique, unhinged vibe. Obvious Bathory, Venom, and Mercyful Fate influence minus any technical proficiency of the latter. There are some songs however, that border on classic Italian HC such as Eu's Arse or Wretched. A strange combo, but it works rather seamlessly here. And for any fans of the mighty, Kiss you will be pleased with the band's combination of early style corpse paint with some Gene Simmons-esque platform boots! Truly a bizarre outsider band, and despite the campier elements described above there is no jokey vibe. Just weird cryptic metal.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

tiny_tove

Quote from: NerveGas on March 17, 2021, 11:56:11 PM
Sagatrakavashen - Saga Of Darkness 1988-2018 2xLP

I still have the tapes somewhere.
Cult band where black metal & glam met.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Ashmonger

Just got the Black Crucifixion - The Fallen One of Flames recent re-release from Frost and Fire. Wasn't familiar with this band, but this is pretty good, especially the track Flowing Downwards is really good.

Mooncitadel - Night's Scarlet Symphonies is another recent album I got. I really liked his former releases, but this did take some more time to convince me. I think musically it's very good, but there's something about the sound that makes me feel like it could be even better, guitars being a bit more in the front or a bit clearer or something, hard to put my finger on it.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Ashmonger on April 14, 2021, 03:37:16 PMMooncitadel - Night's Scarlet Symphonies is another recent album I got. I really liked his former releases, but this did take some more time to convince me. I think musically it's very good, but there's something about the sound that makes me feel like it could be even better, guitars being a bit more in the front or a bit clearer or something, hard to put my finger on it.

Funny co-incidence, I was just listening to this for the first time today. It's competent, and there's nothing wrong with it per se, apart from wearing its influences on its sleeve like a lot of BM anyway. But yea, it isn't all that striking. Some of the more "folk" sounding riffs put me off a tad.
Shikata ga nai.

martialgodmask

Been listening to Këkht Aräkh - Pale Swordsman a lot since its release at the weekend and it really is rather good. A bit of a mash of BM styles rather than having a distinct identity but I like it. What was particularly enjoyable watching the "premiere" on YT was how quickly some of the comments turned upon hearing clean vocals in the last track.

Obetavá.Protivník

Quote from: holy ghost on October 26, 2020, 02:50:04 AM
Been going through a bunch of LPs to possibly prep for some discogs flipping at worst (at best, storing some shit in my creepy basement) and I didn't remember Mortuary Drape being as bad as they are. Same with Gehenna's first couple records.

On the flip side, HAIL's "Inheritance Of Evilness" DLP fuckin' SLAPS hard.

Also been right up into the newest Primitive Man LP as well.

If you feel this way about MD, I think the entirety of black metal is lost on you, sadly.

holy ghost

Quote from: Obetavá.Protivník on April 17, 2021, 07:23:09 AMIf you feel this way about MD, I think the entirety of black metal is lost on you, sadly.

Oh I don't disagree at all.... I've felt that way for a decade at least..... thankfully I could be okay with the classics from the first and second wave and be totally okay!

W.K.

Listening to Lethargies 2020 demo and I'm much impressed. A pitch black whirlwind of brewing chaos, sickening atmosphere, dissonant riffs and Leviathan-esque vocals. A good bit slower and more doom-styled drumming than it [Leviathan], but a good comparison can also be made with Blut Aus Nord, although being more straight-forward and sans boring, spun-out progressive parts. This is my jam, looking forward what the future brings us!

Impressed I say.

Friend of mine recommended me Paysage d'Hiver and listening to their 2020 album now and it ticks almost all my boxes; super sloppy production, ultra raspy vocals likely recorded through a headphone, fast drumming & hazy riffs, almost perfect.....but then he adds these ultra cheese keyboard & cello melodies in between and I don't know if he is just fucking with us or really likes his cheese, because fuck, it really throws me off and I have zero need to listen to his Tolkien fantasy melody bullshit. And it's not like these are good melodies either. Too much inspired by '90s style Diablo games I guess.

Last listen of tonight is Une Balle Dans Le Pied from Troanne. I'm not even sure if we are still able to call this black metal but fuck, it's just so frightening bleak and dissonant, it's one of those few metal pieces you shouldn't listen if you are too down or intoxicated. It's just a pitch black hole of negativity and chaos. Not sure if it tops any of Derrière Nous, La Lumière, but I doubt that record will ever be topped and this surely stand on it's own as being very good. There is a bit more breathing room between the heavy dissonant parts than previous works, but then it immediately puts you down in that place of misery again. I guess for some it will be a bit too produced, but I think it's one of the best things of the last few years coming out of BM (although I'm not as up-to-date as I used to be). Total fucking negativity.
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: W.K. on April 20, 2021, 01:52:44 AM
Listening to Lethargies 2020 demo and I'm much impressed. A pitch black whirlwind of brewing chaos, sickening atmosphere, dissonant riffs and Leviathan-esque vocals. A good bit slower and more doom-styled drumming than it [Leviathan], but a good comparison can also be made with Blut Aus Nord, although being more straight-forward and sans boring, spun-out progressive parts. This is my jam, looking forward what the future brings us!

Impressed I say.

Friend of mine recommended me Paysage d'Hiver and listening to their 2020 album now and it ticks almost all my boxes; super sloppy production, ultra raspy vocals likely recorded through a headphone, fast drumming & hazy riffs, almost perfect.....but then he adds these ultra cheese keyboard & cello melodies in between and I don't know if he is just fucking with us or really likes his cheese, because fuck, it really throws me off and I have zero need to listen to his Tolkien fantasy melody bullshit. And it's not like these are good melodies either. Too much inspired by '90s style Diablo games I guess.

Last listen of tonight is Une Balle Dans Le Pied from Troanne. I'm not even sure if we are still able to call this black metal but fuck, it's just so frightening bleak and dissonant, it's one of those few metal pieces you shouldn't listen if you are too down or intoxicated. It's just a pitch black hole of negativity and chaos. Not sure if it tops any of Derrière Nous, La Lumière, but I doubt that record will ever be topped and this surely stand on it's own as being very good. There is a bit more breathing room between the heavy dissonant parts than previous works, but then it immediately puts you down in that place of misery again. I guess for some it will be a bit too produced, but I think it's one of the best things of the last few years coming out of BM (although I'm not as up-to-date as I used to be). Total fucking negativity.

I have yet to listen to the most recent Paysage d'Hiver, but from what I have heard it is not nearly as good as some of his earlier releases.  I think the interludes were a new feature for that album.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: W.K. on April 20, 2021, 01:52:44 AMFriend of mine recommended me Paysage d'Hiver and listening to their 2020 album now and it ticks almost all my boxes; super sloppy production, ultra raspy vocals likely recorded through a headphone, fast drumming & hazy riffs, almost perfect.....but then he adds these ultra cheese keyboard & cello melodies in between and I don't know if he is just fucking with us or really likes his cheese, because fuck, it really throws me off and I have zero need to listen to his Tolkien fantasy melody bullshit. And it's not like these are good melodies either. Too much inspired by '90s style Diablo games I guess.

I've always hated that kind of thing in BM anyway, and think it's just padding. I know there are people who love the dungeon synth type intros and the long, slow, acoustic-ky type interludes and all of that, but to me, that's not Metal.
Shikata ga nai.

HateSermon

New Clandestine Blaze announced today, which is always welcome. I've been listening to New Golgotha Rising and City of Slaughter lately and thought that we're probably due for some new material.
Otherwise, I've been hitting a wall as far as new black metal... not too many memorable releases lately, but as someone had stated before, maybe the genre has been lost on me too.

holy ghost

Quote from: HateSermon on April 20, 2021, 11:29:49 PMas someone had stated before, maybe the genre has been lost on me too.

Just blast some Venom and Mercyful Fate and crank a few cold ones in a graveyard with the lads.

I guarantee you'll feel great about things.

HateSermon

Quote from: holy ghost on April 21, 2021, 01:37:48 AM
Quote from: HateSermon on April 20, 2021, 11:29:49 PMas someone had stated before, maybe the genre has been lost on me too.

Just blast some Venom and Mercyful Fate and crank a few cold ones in a graveyard with the lads.

I guarantee you'll feel great about things.

That's pretty much the cure for anything!