BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NO PART OF IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vFVlOKY5Hs

I am not well-versed with BM, but I have enjoyed it for years and am gradually collecting, among the other things I buy, so I don't know the essentials from the nobodies, which is kind of nice in this age. 

But I have enjoyed GRAVEN immensely.  I guess they have been around for a while. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

monotome

Vermin Marvin

Can`t find it from Deathspell Omega.
New one is little listenable than Kénôse that i give another spin last week but i surely missing something from this band since i get bored before any song is over.. rather listen Blackdeath.
Archgoat is another band i want to like but don`t listen.. there is all elements i usually enjoy but still can not find that flame from it.

F_c_O

Jesus spawn & Angelcunt are still the best things archgoat has ever released.

Scat-O-Logy

"Evil Shall Prevail" must be one of the best black metal releases this year. It compiles "Hellstorm of Evil Vengeance" demo and "Summoning of Infernal Legions" 7" EP from Black Witchery and "Evil Shall Prevail" and "Demo 97" (originally titled "Death to Trends") from pre-Black Witchery band known as Witchery. Side D has Sarcofago cover track "The Black Vomit" and alternate takes from the "Hellstorm Of Evil Vengeance" sessions.

I was never a Black Witchery fan. Their albums are just the kind of "black" metal I hate. Is it called bestial black metal or something? In addition to couple random album tracks, I had only heard "Summoning of Infernal Legions" 7" EP which I think is one of the best black metal EPs so when I started playing the compilation, I had no idea what to expect from the demo material. Turns out they are somewhat in the vein of the EP but maybe a bit more straight forward. The riffing is brilliant, drums are just rough enough and vocals are very crisp too.

I have a strong feeling that Blodfest were quite inspired by Black Witchery's demo material and as a total worshiper of Blodfest's discography, it doesn't come as a surprise that I enjoyed this compilation a lot.

Give it a listen: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/evil-shall-prevail

If there's a one track I'd especially recommend, that must be the track 11 which is the EP version of "Destruction of the Holy Kingdom".

EDIT: However, what pisses me off about this particular release is that only the deluxe edition includes a 28-page booklet which I think is very important piece of such historic release. Printing xerox zine type booklets and including them to all the copies shouldn't be an impossible task and I don't think that would've increased the price much at all. As someone who couldn't care less about deluxe editions etc, it annoys me that both regular editions (black and colored) only include some useless poster I may as well wipe my ass with.

BlackHole

BRULVAHNATU is a really outstanding and strange one man project of Kib Sreng (Antediluvian, A.M.S.G, etc). Truly exceptional stuff. I'm surprised this is not a more well known and respected project.

This track in particular is amazing. That saxaphone is so cool. And it actually fits and compliments the music. It doesn't just sound like he put saxaphone in the track just for the sake of doing it to be "weird" or "experimental".

https://brulvahnatu.bandcamp.com/track/the-gland

absurdexposition

Quote from: BlackHole on November 25, 2016, 09:25:43 AM
BRULVAHNATU is a really outstanding and strange one man project of Kib Sreng (Antediluvian, A.M.S.G, etc). Truly exceptional stuff. I'm surprised this is not a more well known and respected project.

This track in particular is amazing. That saxaphone is so cool. And it actually fits and compliments the music. It doesn't just sound like he put saxaphone in the track just for the sake of doing it to be "weird" or "experimental".

Just came across this the other day, real good.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: BlackHole on November 25, 2016, 09:25:43 AM

I just picked up MSC the other night and was blown away by it! Truly some unique and bizarre Black Metal. I didn't know what to expect based on the cover art and was definitely pleased with what I've heard...

Been listening to Nyogthaeblisz- Apex Satanist CD over and over and over since I got it, I play Progenitors at least weekly so I've been waiting for this to say the least and it does not disappoint. The words savage, noisey and chaotic are used a lot these days but this band is on a whole other level for me...the entire compilation from start to finish sounds like something trying to enter temporal reality that shouldn't or couldn't exist. In other words, amazing, the exact kind of metal I like.

Zodiac

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 04, 2016, 10:36:03 AM
Horna split is really good. Also split with Satanic Warmaster includes absolutely essential Behexen track "Mouth of Leviathan".

One of my favorite tracks from them as well. Perfect.
Remember, remember... december.

Andrew McIntosh

I've been pretty obsessed with Countess's "Shining Swords of Hate" album lately, minus the short songs. It's a very strange album. Some of the most minimal BM I've heard, in fact some of the most minimal rock I've heard. Very effected sounds on the instruments move it further from aggressive towards atmospheric, but it doesn't go either all emo-pretending-to-be-BM Depressive Black Metal, or "hail the heroic North!" volkish bullshit either. Ultimately it's virtually outsider music all up, just within the BM scene. Interesting that they use drum machine because there is a very improvised feel to much of this, like fucked up krautrock.
Shikata ga nai.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 06, 2016, 02:13:16 AM
I've been pretty obsessed with Countess's "Shining Swords of Hate" album lately, minus the short songs. It's a very strange album. Some of the most minimal BM I've heard, in fact some of the most minimal rock I've heard. Very effected sounds on the instruments move it further from aggressive towards atmospheric, but it doesn't go either all emo-pretending-to-be-BM Depressive Black Metal, or "hail the heroic North!" volkish bullshit either. Ultimately it's virtually outsider music all up, just within the BM scene. Interesting that they use drum machine because there is a very improvised feel to much of this, like fucked up krautrock.

Amazing and indeed a strange album! Probably my favorite Countess...if I remember accurately I think Orlok actually mentioned in an interview that the album IS entirely improvised and that's also why the sound on the recording is so weird. There's something so bizarre and unique and atmospheric about the recording. Never heard anyone compare it to kraut rock though which I can kind of see now..

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Staalwaart on November 28, 2016, 01:17:46 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 04, 2016, 10:36:03 AM
Horna split is really good. Also split with Satanic Warmaster includes absolutely essential Behexen track "Mouth of Leviathan".
One of my favorite tracks from them as well. Perfect.
It reminds me of Ancient "Trumps of an Archangel".  Groovy melodic.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bitewerksMTB

Teitanblood will have a new 12" out in a few days. The Ajna Offensive is currently taking pre-orders.

http://www.theajnaoffensive.com/collections/vinyl/products/teitanblood-3

Looking forward to this. "Sanctified Dysecdysis"  is a killer track!

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 10, 2016, 11:26:25 PM
Teitanblood will have a new 12" out in a few days. The Ajna Offensive is currently taking pre-orders.

http://www.theajnaoffensive.com/collections/vinyl/products/teitanblood-3

Looking forward to this. "Sanctified Dysecdysis"  is a killer track!

As is Purging Tongues and their latest album "Death". Filthy and rotten like a decomposed corpse.

Excited about this new release.

Fluid Fetish

In my opinion Teitanblood is currently the best active death/black metal band easily, therefore I absolutely cannot fucking wait to hear this new song. SD is one of the best Teitanblood songs ever written, I can't wait to hear it on vinyl..