BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosef666

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on September 13, 2016, 01:35:51 AM
Quote from: yosef666 on September 12, 2016, 11:02:28 PMCraft (although the last record was not their best)

Can't agree, although I can understand why someone would think that. At first few listens it went over my head. But gradually it sunk in and now I'd say it's their best release so far.

Quote from: yosef666 on September 12, 2016, 11:02:28 PMThat being said, most of the "big" names in Swedish black metal, like Marduk (although I do like a couple records), new Watain (post-Sworn to the Dark), Dark Funeral, sound boring and lifeless to me.

Be a bit odd to have a Black Metal band sounding full of life, eh?
But again I get your point. Certainly Dark Funeral and Watain are just going through the motions. Marduk, on the other hand, improved enormously when Håkansson basically sacked the rest of the band and brought in new (and old) members. "Plague Angel" is an excellent album.
Fair play on the Craft album. I listened to it 3 or 4 times when it came out, and while it's certainly not bad, it never really sunk in for me. Maybe I need to give it another spin.

Dark Funeral were always mediocre at best to my ears. Watain's old material is great, but nowadays they're just embarrassing. Marduk is hit-or-miss for me at best. "Fuck Me Jesus" through "Opus Nocturne" they're good, but not on the same level as the other classic bands of the era (Darkthrone, Blasphemy, Beherit, Master's Hammer, Immortal, Emperor, Ulver, etc. all releasing much better records in the same period). I know a lot of people go nuts for "Panzer Division Marduk", but I find the album pretty flat and uninspiring.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

Fluid Fetish

I need to check out Striborg finally, never gave the band a proper listen or chance. Any suggestions on where to start?

Tons of good Swedish black metal of course, most of them already mentioned, DF first mcd is some of the best Swedish black metal ever in my opinion. Everything Blackmoon was involved in back then was excellent including Necrophobic (not BM obviously).

Still like modern Marduk and Watain, everyone complains Watain are going through the motions or are pop black metal or whatever but I think there are songs on all their releases that are as strong as Casus Luciferi, although no album has matched that album since then of course. Everything up to Sworn to the Dark is actually pretty diverse and I think they completely NAIL the Mayhem/Dissection/Ofermod sound, which everyone cites them for copying Dissection and Mayhem but I don't think many have noticed the sometimes subtle and other times obvious Ofermod- Mysterion influence mixed with maybe a little bit of classic Malign too. HUGE scene though with so many bands now, I can remember in the really early 2000's when practically the only 'underground' Swedish black metal that I was aware of was Craft, Armagedda, Necroplasma, Watain, Funeral Mist/Triumphator, Malign and Ofermod and I'm undoubtedly forgetting a few more at most. It's obviously exploded since then to say the least.

david lloyd jones

striborg-got so many releases that can't really say, possibly just dive in, as at the end of the day, can't say I remember too much variation.
watain- yes, like this band and having seen them live a few times, they pack a punch even if their music can be argued as not entirely original. pop black metal? well if you accept their ideas then spreading their satanic ideas to masses makes sense rather than remaining kilt, though as an excuse for 'selling out' ...

ritualabuser

Mouthgate is awesome stuff, strikes me like a cross between rotten BM and cheap 70's horror soundtracks: https://soundcloud.com/serfduct

Deadpriest

My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on September 14, 2016, 03:18:23 AM
I need to check out Striborg finally, never gave the band a proper listen or chance. Any suggestions on where to start?

I'll tell you where not to start, and that's with "This Suffocating Existence". As tempting as that title is, the first three songs for some reason suffer from excessive happy tunes. It's only by the time he gets to "Sleep Paralysis" he remembers, "aw yea, that's right, I'm doing Black Metal".
Shikata ga nai.

F_c_O

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on September 14, 2016, 03:18:23 AM
I'd go with the early material, specifically with Embittered Darkness / Isle de Morts and Nefaria / A Tragic Journey Towards the Light. I think those give good idea what its all about.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: yosef666 on September 12, 2016, 11:02:28 PM
plenty of other great Swedish bands though... Dissection of course (not counting Reinkaos, what a turd), The Black (Priest of Satan is a true classic), Funeral Mist, Triumphator, Sorhin, Wulkanaz, Tomhet, Sigrblot, Ofermod, Mortuus, Craft (although the last record was not their best), Woods of Infinity, Nastrond, Armagedda, Necroplasma, (old) Arckanum, Bestial Mockery/Sons of Satan, Azhubham Haani, Setherial debut album, Malign, Panphage, Jarnvidr, Niden Div. 187, Silencer, Morbid Insulter... plenty more I'm sure I could think of. All a matter of taste of course, but to my ears there's plenty of great black metal from Sweden for sure.

Out of list, i have had or still have most in collection, but never really got much out of them. Some records just was bought when they came out but now, listening stuff, doesnt do much for me. Not opposing bands -I feel fine to distribute, but not really listen.

Exceptions Funeral Must and earlier Craft what now hits better than ever! Some selected Nastrond too.

And its not that I would be somehow "grown out" of bm in general. Not At all. Must have listened few hundred releases this year alone. Including attempts to several mentioned, but have come to conclusion maybe time to sell away some "classics".
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ProzacPatrol

I will list some bands I enjoy here for you guys in case you haven't heard them. I have listened to all these bands stuff a lot. If you enjoy these music selections feel free to make suggestions to me. Modern black metal is fucking joke!  I would very much enjoy some new good bands to hear!

Bands: Katharsis,Heresi, Aosoth, Antaeus, Black Death Ritual, Uncreation´s Dawn,Nidsang, Kapein,Valoton, KORGONTHURUS( new band album just dropped from finland).

BlackHole

I recently checked the bands Caverne and Nécropole. Some of the best black metal I have heard in quite some time. Mikko released the two Nécropole demos compiled on LP earlier this year and would highly recommend picking it up. Really excellent.

yosef666

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 20, 2016, 11:13:00 PM
Quote from: yosef666 on September 12, 2016, 11:02:28 PM
plenty of other great Swedish bands though... Dissection of course (not counting Reinkaos, what a turd), The Black (Priest of Satan is a true classic), Funeral Mist, Triumphator, Sorhin, Wulkanaz, Tomhet, Sigrblot, Ofermod, Mortuus, Craft (although the last record was not their best), Woods of Infinity, Nastrond, Armagedda, Necroplasma, (old) Arckanum, Bestial Mockery/Sons of Satan, Azhubham Haani, Setherial debut album, Malign, Panphage, Jarnvidr, Niden Div. 187, Silencer, Morbid Insulter... plenty more I'm sure I could think of. All a matter of taste of course, but to my ears there's plenty of great black metal from Sweden for sure.

Out of list, i have had or still have most in collection, but never really got much out of them. Some records just was bought when they came out but now, listening stuff, doesnt do much for me. Not opposing bands -I feel fine to distribute, but not really listen.

Exceptions Funeral Must and earlier Craft what now hits better than ever! Some selected Nastrond too.

And its not that I would be somehow "grown out" of bm in general. Not At all. Must have listened few hundred releases this year alone. Including attempts to several mentioned, but have come to conclusion maybe time to sell away some "classics".
Ha, yes, I did not think you've grown out of black metal Mikko... one listen to the last Clandestine Blaze LP confirms that the fire still burns in your heart.

Well, I'm glad to hear that Funeral Mist and Craft still appeal to you at least! I do prefer earlier Nastrond, mainly the demo, 7" and first LP. I'm surprised you're not too into Sorhin, Triumphator, Armagedda, Ofermod (at least the first one)... but to each their own, certainly.

Speaking of the various national scenes, the Finnish scene is rather strong too. Not as many well-known acts as for example Sweden or Norway, but also due to that fact, far fewer national embarrassments. I can't think of an awful black metal band from Finland that is internationally known. I would list many Finnish acts among my all-time favorites, especially Ride For Revenge (godz, I have the horseman logo tattooed prominently on my upper arm), Barathrum, early Impaled Nazarene, Clandestine Blaze, Cosmic Church, Keres, Goatmoon, Circle of Ouroborus, Rahu... Bloodhammer, Musta Surma, Vordr, Venus Star, Uncreation's Dawn/Uncelestial, Incriminated, Verivala, IC Rex, Phlegein, Karmic Void, Diaboli, Blood Red Fog, Charnel Winds, Gandr, Cornigr, Blutschrei, Pantheon of Blood, Saturnian Mist, etc. are quite good too. On the other hand, while I have nothing but respect for some of the more popular Finish bands, like Sargeist, Behexen, Baptism, Horna and others of that circle, I never feel the urgent need to spin those albums. Indeed, I sold off my personal copies of most some time ago. Satanic Warmaster too. The demos and first couple albums are excellent, but it's mostly ot too much to my taste after that, although I did quite like the series of 3 necro-sounding EPs on NH a few years back.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

yosef666

Quote from: BlackHole on September 23, 2016, 04:12:21 AM
I recently checked the bands Caverne and Nécropole. Some of the best black metal I have heard in quite some time. Mikko released the two Nécropole demos compiled on LP earlier this year and would highly recommend picking it up. Really excellent.
Yes, excellent stuff indeed, I was just playing the Necropole LP for my girlfriend today in fact. The new Caverne album is fantastic, hopefully it gets the vinyl treatment as well.

Jaakko V.

Just a heads-up for those not aware of this -

'Pirunkehto' - a well researched book (over 500 pages) about the evolution of Finnish black metal from late 80s to present day, written by Tero Ikäheimo, was recently released by Svart Records. Info on Beherit, Impaled Nazarene, Barathrum, Archgoat, Azazel, Diaboli, Darkwoods My Betrothed, Horna, Vornat, Thy Serpent, Wanderer, Urn, Black Dawn, ...And Oceans, Musta Surma, Alghazanth, Azaghal, Warloghe, Behexen, Clandestine Blaze, Satanic Warmaster, Ride for Revenge, Goatmoon, IC Rex, Charnel Winds, Cosmic Church, Saturnian Mist, Rienaus, Abyssion...

This is not supposed to be a catalogue of every obscure project from Finland but deals with the subject from a larger framework, with interesting tidbits etc. It is a good read. English version is scheduled for early 2017.