BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Plagve

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 16, 2016, 05:20:27 AM
In fact I have a lot of respect for the zero tolerance Black Metal purists... it's a breath of stale air that there are those who want to keep things pure and unchanged.

If it comes down to a choice between some young, pretty hipster who's band "sort of started off as Black Metal but we think we're going beyond that", and some grimly corpse-painted intolerant fucker in a forest saying "kill everything for Satan!", I know who's flag I'd rather fight under. But outside of that choice, I'll fly and fight under my own.

Concurred!

There's a YT channel called 'Hipster Black Metal' that has been trolling the likes of Myrkur, Deafheaven and Liturgy which is getting noticed by the crowds at Noisey, Quietus etc. Especially since Mykur announced to her entire Facebook following that she had to remove the messaging feature from her account due to the hate mail and death threats she'd been receiving. Needless so say it's all been quite amusing to see these cuddly little hipster types with their pleas for tolerance and diversity being met with the unrelenting vitriol and hatred of the BM underground.

Also, to these ears at least, the s/t Thorns album is a good example of Black Metal incorporating Industrial elements. The production on the drum sound makes them sound programmed and the cold, mechanical riffs, together with the raspy vocals lend a definite mechanical feel to the album.

Andrew McIntosh

I had no opinion on Mykur until I looked at the videos on that Hipster Black Metal channel. Fucking hell. Surely she's the one trolling?
Shikata ga nai.

Galactic Plagve

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 17, 2016, 04:41:22 AM
I had no opinion on Mykur until I looked at the videos on that Hipster Black Metal channel. Fucking hell. Surely she's the one trolling?

Aye, it's fucking horrible! The "future of Black Metal" according to Relapse.

Leewar

I have to go for Niden div.187 as nailing industrial black metal, not that they even labelled it as that, but it sounds way more 'industrial' then just Bm with a drum machine. Swarm of bee's guitar sound, drums that dont really sound like drums, inhuman vocals.. a really bleak and hateful album.

Oh and Diabolicum's track with Survival unit.

bitewerksMTB

http://zealandardor.bandcamp.com/track/in-ashes

"burn the young boy burn him good
so the flame can rise
burn the young boy burn him good
so the fire can burn
burn the young boy burn him good"

calaverasgrande

I mean not exactly Black Metal but I think Mortician totally settles the argument.
You can sound like shit with a shitty drum machine that is programmed to sound like an asshat drummer.
And be amazing.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 17, 2016, 09:05:42 PM
http://zealandardor.bandcamp.com/track/in-ashes

"burn the young boy burn him good
so the flame can rise
burn the young boy burn him good
so the fire can burn
burn the young boy burn him good"

Wow, this is beyond fucking awful. Thanks for sharing haha.

Also Mortician is fantastic! Total mongoloid cave man horror metal! The old stuff is definitely so shitty that it's good. The drum machine is part of their trademark I'm aware but if ever given the chance check out the Mortician live album with an actual drummer, it almost sounds like another band, in a very good and sloppy way.

calaverasgrande

Yeah early Mortician makes me think of musty basements and people with only two friends.
Love that shit.
As far as Mykur.
What is that the fucking Enya of BM?
I swear Relapse is just nothing but shit for the last 10 years.
At least the last 10 years. Heck I probably only give them credit because I had a couple friends get with them.

holy ghost

I'm pretty hard pressed to think of many black metal bands (in the "traditional, second wave") style that do anything for me in the last decade. Ill Omen for sure, but overall anything interesting is mixing in the sort of unhinged, chaotic vibe like Teitanblood, Antediluvian, Irkallian Oracle, Weregoat, etc (usually annoyingly classified as bestial, war or cavernous). I'm not interested in "progressive" black metal either because well, that just has no appeal to me. Basically I'm sticking with the classics and the odd new thing I hear that strikes my fancy. But anything that sounds like a fourth rate Emperor or Burzum clone in 2016 can eat it. Although total respect to the classics themselves and anyone rocking a band that sounds like Bathory, Kreator, Sodom or Hellhammer. Like fuckin' Deathhammer. That band totally gets it.

I'm probably more put out by the keyboard black metal elitists, most of whom are probably under 23. I'm basically sick of hearing about hipsters, falses, social justice warriors, women, vegans, Americans, people who wear hats, people who wear sneakers, etc. The 90's was not some "safe space" from the likes of outsiders even though the "stomp the faces of posers" elite romanticize it that way. Basically I'm sick of complaining and hearing people complain about things that have no bearing on their lives. See and look I'm complaining about complaining!! You can't win. Well I'm off to live in a hut in the woods..... Goodbye forever......

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: holy ghost on June 26, 2016, 01:40:22 AM
I'm pretty hard pressed to think of many black metal bands (in the "traditional, second wave") style that do anything for me in the last decade. Ill Omen for sure, but overall anything interesting is mixing in the sort of unhinged, chaotic vibe like Teitanblood, Antediluvian, Irkallian Oracle, Weregoat, etc (usually annoyingly classified as bestial, war or cavernous). I'm not interested in "progressive" black metal either because well, that just has no appeal to me. Basically I'm sticking with the classics and the odd new thing I hear that strikes my fancy. But anything that sounds like a fourth rate Emperor or Burzum clone in 2016 can eat it. Although total respect to the classics themselves and anyone rocking a band that sounds like Bathory, Kreator, Sodom or Hellhammer. Like fuckin' Deathhammer. That band totally gets it.

I'm probably more put out by the keyboard black metal elitists, most of whom are probably under 23. I'm basically sick of hearing about hipsters, falses, social justice warriors, women, vegans, Americans, people who wear hats, people who wear sneakers, etc. The 90's was not some "safe space" from the likes of outsiders even though the "stomp the faces of posers" elite romanticize it that way. Basically I'm sick of complaining and hearing people complain about things that have no bearing on their lives. See and look I'm complaining about complaining!! You can't win. Well I'm off to live in a hut in the woods..... Goodbye forever......

Your mostly right, bands that typically try to capture the second wave feeling typically do nothing for me, the late 90's early 2000's were the fucking worst period for this style of black metal where it seems like everyone decided to ditch the shitty vampiric goth trend and then jumped back on the darkthrone/burzum clone wagon...until Watain and Funeral Mist came along. Kind of fascinating how there is an ebb and flow to styles, artistic approaches, or 'trends' as most keyboard warriors call it.

Having said that, and as interesting as it can be in a way, it doesn't bother me at all though. In fact, a small part of me smiles whenever I see people get upset or get all riled up about the things you mentioned like sjws, vegans, Watain, Americans, hipsters or whatever. Also I'm glad that being American and being interested in black metal by default pisses people off, since I am a Yank myself, and especially considering the genre was partially born here with Von, Profanatica, Necrovore and Absu making it all the more pathetic. It shows that most people involved in subculture and especially metal subculture, are actually sheltered, comfortable, spoiled little pigs with too much free time on their hands who actually enjoy whining, complaining, and spouting bullshit on the internet to feed their egos more then genuinely exploring or listening to music. Sounds like an exact mirror of mainstream society with an emphasis on whining, style and superficial bullshit over substance, dignity, and fanaticism.

It has absolutely no affect or baring on my life as I try to survive day to day other then reminding me that there are people out there who do nothing with their lives/free time other then consume, bitch, and sit on their computers which is reassuring to me that people are exactly what I expect them to be, worthless and banal.

Back on topic, there are a few bands still playing in the second wave style that I think are worth noting that play black metal in the Scandinavian/French/Greek/90's Finnish style like Satanic Warmaster, all the Ancient Records bands, Void Meditation Cult, Necromantic Worship, all the Black Circle bands from Portugal, Funeral Mist, Cultes Des Ghoules, Panphage, Katharsis (apparently dead now)etc. There is always exceptions.

calaverasgrande

haha yeah, after I quit drinking (for the 3rd time, for reals this time!) I got super bored of the whole extreme metal scene. When you are sober-ish everyone seems a lot less 'Metal' and a lot more like grown men and women acting like insecure juvenile delinquent teens.
Especially the whole sub-genre elitism. 
I get it, I really do not like whole acres of music. But in metal it's not enough, you have to denounce and say all kinds of movie scripted soundbites about the unpure false metalers.

Though to be fair, it is kind of lame how BM was this weird thing a lot of people found out about from Immortal's Wintermoon video. They dug deeper and were like, holy shit these Scandanavians are freaking amazing. A decade later and there are Eurovision bands and arena rock bands heavily choking on the BM phallus. Are they 'true' BM? Of course not, but you cannot deny that it is heavily co-opting the BM esthetic. Speaking as someone who was around to see a few other scenes get co-opted. It is a painful thing to have your obscure icky subculture pulled out into the sunlight of the global market and auctioned off. (though as a consolation, you probably have some very valuable 7" records now)
Nothing you can do but make music that is impossible to co-opt.

Andrew McIntosh

AND ANOTHER THING - intros. Those fucking boring new age wanks or faux-darkwave wanks that too many bands put on too much of their albums. Fuck that. I can handle the ultra-minimal and ultra-bleak tones of Ildjarn's "Black Anger" tracks on "Strength And Anger", and for some reason I'm pretty tolerant of Striborg's blatant detours into that department, but apart from that, fuck 'em. They're annoying and unnecessary. Nox Inferni's "Adverse Spheres" could have been quite good if it didn't rely so heavily on keyboards.

Some bands may make it work if it's part of their overall aesthetic. Maybe. But for the most part I just skip the intros and go straight to the raw Black Metal. It's like having to scrape cup-cake frosting off a steak.
Shikata ga nai.

calaverasgrande

I actually kind of like the horrible intros.
Some of them even sound like bad video game music.
It's a tactic as old as metal.
A pussy part with unicorns and faeries
followed by demons and dragons fucking in a volcano.
Some of them do much worse than others at this.
But hey the whole genre needs a salt shaker to stomach.
So much butthurt.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: calaverasgrande on June 30, 2016, 08:11:39 AM
I actually kind of like the horrible intros.
Some of them even sound like bad video game music.
It's a tactic as old as metal.
A pussy part with unicorns and faeries
followed by demons and dragons fucking in a volcano.
Some of them do much worse than others at this.
But hey the whole genre needs a salt shaker to stomach.
So much butthurt.

Dungeon synth! A friend described the genre literally just as you mentioned, 'bad video game music'. I personally have a huge appreciation for the stuff though, plus some bands do pull off some amazing introductions that don't sound horrible. Teitanblood has the best interludes/intros ever. The intro to In the Glare of Burning Churches is perfect too.

F_c_O

teitanblood has cool interludes but seven chalices had just too many of them. I enjoy that kind of music as non-stop full-force assault and for me, the interludes just broke up the flow I wanted from it.

In general, to me its not about the intro being technically competent but more that it fits with the rest of the music and actually seques into the metal itself, rather than just feeling tacked on. For example, Det Som Engan Var lp does this well where nothing feels out of place. Then there are some where I honestly just want to skip the bullshit and get to the good stuff.