BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackHole

This is the best black metal band I have discovered in ages. Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvUhwgQ9wcY

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: BlackHole on September 08, 2016, 04:34:59 AM
This is the best black metal band I have discovered in ages. Highly recommended.

Agreed, one of the best tapes I've heard in recent memory. There was a period where I was listening to this and the most recent Obskuritatem daily, multiple times. I think I'll return to this again today..

New Bekëth Nexëhmü lp and cd's recently released, everything released on Ancient Records and Mysticism Productions is consistently high quality but for me BN is easily the best band out of all the projects.

BlackHole

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on September 09, 2016, 02:27:23 AM
Quote from: BlackHole on September 08, 2016, 04:34:59 AM

Agreed, one of the best tapes I've heard in recent memory. There was a period where I was listening to this and the most recent Obskuritatem daily, multiple times. I think I'll return to this again today..

New Bekëth Nexëhmü lp and cd's recently released, everything released on Ancient Records and Mysticism Productions is consistently high quality but for me BN is easily the best band out of all the projects.

Also agreed. Bekëth Nexëhmü is excellent. Look forward to hearing the new LP. Mystik sounds pretty promising as well based on the sample on youtube.

ritualabuser

I dunno, RE; Ancient Records stuff, I remember enjoying most, but I went back and listened to the Kaos Sacramentum comp CD and was thoroughly unimpressed. Have to give the LPs another spin, but if they're anything like that, they'll likely be up for grabs soon. Best bands I remember being on the label are Helgedom and Urkaos, though the most recent Urkaos release didn't really impress me too much.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: ritualabuser on September 09, 2016, 08:23:31 AMKaos Sacramentum comp CD

That comp is the weakest KS release, every album kills. Such a fantastic "scene" they have there in Sweden...

Not related to that scene but: Hail Fungi! http://youtu.be/ZzJbJ7WOM7A

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on September 09, 2016, 08:51:40 AM
fantastic "scene" they have there...

Haha! I remember talking with one party involved, and he concluded it's great that some guy just sits home endlessly replicating BM and can't handle human relations. Whatever exact medical condition of the person churning out ton of stuff is, I won't throw much rumors online, hehe..
But it somehow seems rather clear. While a lot of Ancient Records stuff appears good, at the same time it seems like replication of good bm.

Of course this conclusion could be made from a lot of material out there. But even more, when there are guys who appear of trying to replicate historical situation. One guy churning scene worth of obscure releases, ain't the "obscure scene".

I don't know what it is with Swedish scene - in all its diversity and long history, but ain't much of bands that would interest me.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 10, 2016, 02:38:21 PMI remember talking with one party involved, and he concluded it's great that some guy just sits home endlessly replicating BM and can't handle human relations.
Could it be that this "one party involved" just has some grudge against the guy or something?

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 10, 2016, 02:38:21 PMWhatever exact medical condition of the person churning out ton of stuff is, I won't throw much rumors online, hehe..
I've heard some rumors but rumors are always rumors and I don't give a fuck.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 10, 2016, 02:38:21 PMWhile a lot of Ancient Records stuff appears good, at the same time it seems like replication of good bm.
Yeah, they certainly have couple bands in that "circle" (better than "scene"?) that remind me of some other well known bands but I'd definitely take a good replication over some shitty wannabe uniqueness.

Out of the more unique bands I could bring up Hädanfärd and Grav, which may both sound a bit like LIK or Armagedda but since the person behind those bands went all "only true CHRISTIAN believers" (another rumor...), good death worship in the same musical vein is no problem to me. Then there's Grifteskymfning which I'd say is quite original actually and "Likpsalm" happens to be one of better new black metal releases imo. Also some new bands on Mysticism Prods are quite unique. Grudom from Denmark is totally out of this world and one of a kind without trying to force the "uniqueness"... Might be a bit niche stylistically but it's outsider music for outsiders. Same applies to many other bands on that side-label.

Their new label is Nordisk Kultur btw.

BlackHole

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 10, 2016, 02:38:21 PM

Haha! I remember talking with one party involved, and he concluded it's great that some guy just sits home endlessly replicating BM and can't handle human relations. Whatever exact medical condition of the person churning out ton of stuff is, I won't throw much rumors online, hehe..
But it somehow seems rather clear. While a lot of Ancient Records stuff appears good, at the same time it seems like replication of good bm.

Of course this conclusion could be made from a lot of material out there. But even more, when there are guys who appear of trying to replicate historical situation. One guy churning scene worth of obscure releases, ain't the "obscure scene".

I don't know what it is with Swedish scene - in all its diversity and long history, but ain't much of bands that would interest me.

I agree, partially. There are a few bands under the Ancient Records banner such as Hadanfard, Beketh Nexehmu, Grav, etc that don't really sound like anything else. Then there are the other bands that sound like typical Swedish BM...in other words Dissection. But the aforementioned bands have pretty unique sounds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on September 10, 2016, 04:55:19 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 10, 2016, 02:38:21 PMI remember talking with one party involved, and he concluded it's great that some guy just sits home endlessly replicating BM and can't handle human relations.
Could it be that this "one party involved" just has some grudge against the guy or something?

Out of the more unique bands I could bring up Hädanfärd and Grav, which may both sound a bit like LIK or Armagedda but...

Actually that comment was meant by person as  positive one. I wasnt very convinced.

Those mentioned bands, I liked a bit, but also very quickly filed it under all the swedes ala Lifelover, lik, hypotermia, etc etc which are not the kind of BM I prefer to listen to.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Fluid Fetish

Agreed that Ancient Records etc is not the most original to say the least, but the exception I think is BN and definitely has it's own sound and style, of course comparisons can be made to similar bands/influences but I think this band is in a class of it's own. Good mentioning of Grudom as well as this band sounds absolutely like no other band I have ever heard and is simply incredible. Helgedom as well, very ghostly and otherwordly aura with a unique approach in my opinion also. A lot of bands use forest and nature imagery but these three bands really live up to the atmosphere depicted on their album covers..

Andrew McIntosh

Been listening to shitloads of Stridborg lately and have to state that that Blood Tyrant material sounds very similar. Which is to say, I very much like it.

Not so keen on Grudom, though. They're not so much "expanding" the genre as pretty much leaving it behind. And I just don't care for their music anyway.
Shikata ga nai.

ritualabuser

Put the Ancient Records Demo Comp and Svartrit I-III LPs up for sale.

cantle

RE: Grudom- I like them as they remind me of Ved Buens Ende but more low fi.

yosef666

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 10, 2016, 02:38:21 PM

Yeah, I don't really understand why everyone goes nuts over the Ancient Records stuff. I like Reverorum ib Malacht, except the demo LP they released is by far that project's weakest material & not really worth having. Svartrit & Kaos Sacramentum & some others sound good on the first listen, but don't bear up to repeat listens, at least not to me. Well done black metal of a certain style, but too derivative to be memorable.

There have been plenty of other great Swedish bands though... Dissection of course (not counting Reinkaos, what a turd), The Black (Priest of Satan is a true classic), Funeral Mist, Triumphator, Sorhin, Wulkanaz, Tomhet, Sigrblot, Ofermod, Mortuus, Craft (although the last record was not their best), Woods of Infinity, Nastrond, Armagedda, Necroplasma, (old) Arckanum, Bestial Mockery/Sons of Satan, Azhubham Haani, Setherial debut album, Malign, Panphage, Jarnvidr, Niden Div. 187, Silencer, Morbid Insulter... plenty more I'm sure I could think of. All a matter of taste of course, but to my ears there's plenty of great black metal from Sweden for sure.

That being said, most of the "big" names in Swedish black metal, like Marduk (although I do like a couple records), new Watain (post-Sworn to the Dark), Dark Funeral, sound boring and lifeless to me.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: yosef666 on September 12, 2016, 11:02:28 PMCraft (although the last record was not their best)

Can't agree, although I can understand why someone would think that. At first few listens it went over my head. But gradually it sunk in and now I'd say it's their best release so far.

Quote from: yosef666 on September 12, 2016, 11:02:28 PMThat being said, most of the "big" names in Swedish black metal, like Marduk (although I do like a couple records), new Watain (post-Sworn to the Dark), Dark Funeral, sound boring and lifeless to me.

Be a bit odd to have a Black Metal band sounding full of life, eh?
But again I get your point. Certainly Dark Funeral and Watain are just going through the motions. Marduk, on the other hand, improved enormously when Håkansson basically sacked the rest of the band and brought in new (and old) members. "Plague Angel" is an excellent album.
Shikata ga nai.