BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalOrthodoxy

Rinsing White Medal again recently, a good portion of which can be found on here - https://legion-blotan.bandcamp.com/

I've always thought that White Medal is the perfect English counterpart to the decrepit rural sounds of early Peste Noire (everything up to/including Ballade Cuntre...). The production on White Medal releases gets better every time, always staying absolutely filth-encrusted but with enough clarity to appreciate the musicianship. Absolutely perfect black metal- personal favourite being Guthmer's Hahl.

TS

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 27, 2019, 04:40:40 PM
Quote from: yosef666 on September 27, 2019, 08:51:00 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 26, 2019, 06:01:06 PM
Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on September 26, 2019, 08:06:07 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 24, 2019, 06:43:27 PM
I have been listening to a lot of Flooded Church of Asmodeus material on youtube lately, and keep becoming more impressed by this band.  It is really refreshing to hear black metal that is not simply fast, tremolo riffs, and the noise elements are infused very naturally as well.  I really need to get some physical copies of their music...

Yeah but fast tremolo riffs is what 2nd wave black metal is and what I and, I assume, most metalheads want to hear when they think of black metal. It's absolutely OK such crossovers exist but for instance I have no interest in hearing noise-infused BM as I don't think those genres go well together, and I also don't think making noisy music was what those musicians wanted to create in the first place? It came later as an aesthetic trend that turned into some ridiculous statement. Yeah, I'm being judgemental (of the artists, not of you!)

If you like FCOA, you should have a listen to Gonkulator if you haven't yet.

I definitely like good tremolo riffs in black metal, and it surely forms an essential element of the genre.  It is always nice, though, to hear some exceptions to the norm.  For instance, Paysage d'Hiver plays some really heavy and slow riffs that are definitely black, but without tremolo.

I have heard a few people mention Gonkulator in conjunction with Flooded Church of Asmodeus, so I will have to check them out.
You definitely also must check out Ride For Revenge and Black Mass of Absu. The early material from Barathrum might be up your alley too.

I like Ride for Revenge, but always thought that Flooded Church of Asmodeus was just better. The heavier noise influence in the latter goes a long way for me.  However, I probably should check out the Ride for Revenge/Bizarre Uproar collaboration again, now that I think of it.  Black Mass of Absu is another band that I have been meaning to listen to for a long time (ever since I saw their Goatowarex vinyl release).  Never heard of Barathrum, though.  Thanks!

Ride for Revenge is fucking great. And on the topic of bands in the tradition of Beherit, check out Perverted Ceremony. "Sabbat of Behezaël" has been refusing to leave my turntable lately.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: TS on October 18, 2019, 12:01:41 PM
I have been listening to a lot of Flooded Church of Asmodeus material on youtube lately, and keep becoming more impressed by this band.  It is really refreshing to hear black metal that is not simply fast, tremolo riffs, and the noise elements are infused very naturally as well.  I really need to get some physical copies of their music...

Yeah but fast tremolo riffs is what 2nd wave black metal is and what I and, I assume, most metalheads want to hear when they think of black metal. It's absolutely OK such crossovers exist but for instance I have no interest in hearing noise-infused BM as I don't think those genres go well together, and I also don't think making noisy music was what those musicians wanted to create in the first place? It came later as an aesthetic trend that turned into some ridiculous statement. Yeah, I'm being judgemental (of the artists, not of you!)

I definitely like good tremolo riffs in black metal, and it surely forms an essential element of the genre.  It is always nice, though, to hear some exceptions to the norm.  For instance, Paysage d'Hiver plays some really heavy and slow riffs that are definitely black, but without tremolo.

I have heard a few people mention Gonkulator in conjunction with Flooded Church of Asmodeus, so I will have to check them out.
You definitely also must check out Ride For Revenge and Black Mass of Absu. The early material from Barathrum might be up your alley too.

I like Ride for Revenge, but always thought that Flooded Church of Asmodeus was just better. The heavier noise influence in the latter goes a long way for me.  However, I probably should check out the Ride for Revenge/Bizarre Uproar collaboration again, now that I think of it.  Black Mass of Absu is another band that I have been meaning to listen to for a long time (ever since I saw their Goatowarex vinyl release).  Never heard of Barathrum, though.  Thanks!

Ride for Revenge is fucking great. And on the topic of bands in the tradition of Beherit, check out Perverted Ceremony. "Sabbat of Behezaël" has been refusing to leave my turntable lately.

I keep seeing Perverted Ceremony show up on various sites that I visit, and was intrigued by their recent split with Witchcraft.  I will have to look into them soon.  Do they have any noise influence?

As a side note, I have spent a decent amount of time listening to Black Mass of Absu lately.  They are great, so thanks again to everyone who recommended them!  I need more metal like this in my life.

TS

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 18, 2019, 05:09:13 PM

I keep seeing Perverted Ceremony show up on various sites that I visit, and was intrigued by their recent split with Witchcraft.  I will have to look into them soon.  Do they have any noise influence?

As a side note, I have spent a decent amount of time listening to Black Mass of Absu lately.  They are great, so thanks again to everyone who recommended them!  I need more metal like this in my life.

Nope, no noise influence that I've noticed. It sounds very much like its artwork looks, if that makes any sense.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

ashraf

Anyone know if the NWN forum is currently down? I just got a new internet provider today and I'm curious if it's blocking content.

WCrap

downtime might be connnected to this ... or just coincidence?

https://nsbmboneheads.wordpress.com/

"Oakland venues Elbo Room and Oakland Metro Operahouse are scheduled to host a black metal festival with neo-Nazi ties called Never Surrender on Oct 18 – 20, 2019. Never Surrender Fest is organized by labels known for distributing Nazi metal: Iron Bonehead Productions based in Germany and Nuclear War Now! Productions based in the Bay Area whose website serves as the biggest online community for Nazi metal."

FallOfNature

As far as I know it's just a server issue. NWN probably has his hands full with his fest to worry too much about it at the moment?

That has also got to be one of the most unintentionally hilarious articles to ever pop up from those people.

holy ghost

Utech Records just announced a 2xCD posthumous release by Chaos Echoes - live and unreleased material. For my money they were probably the most exciting "black metal" band around. I wasn't crazy about the last record - too "riffy" compared to their previous album which I think of as a cornerstone of experimental metal.... but that's also not even a criticism, just that I loved Transient so friggin' much. I'm also revisiting it to try and see if I gel more with it - and I'm digging it way more now that's it's had a chance to "age" a little.

https://utechrecords.bandcamp.com/album/remains

EDIT: enjoying "Mouvement" a lot more than I did initially.

seventhcircle

Anyone else here looking forward to the Ride for Revenge dates in NYC? I plan on going the second night; despite having seen majority of the bill at least once, I am very excited to see all of them again.
nothing is precious, bastardize everything

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: TS on October 18, 2019, 05:20:28 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 18, 2019, 05:09:13 PM
I have been listening to a lot of Flooded Church of Asmodeus material on youtube lately, and keep becoming more impressed by this band.  It is really refreshing to hear black metal that is not simply fast, tremolo riffs, and the noise elements are infused very naturally as well.  I really need to get some physical copies of their music...

I definitely like good tremolo riffs in black metal, and it surely forms an essential element of the genre.  It is always nice, though, to hear some exceptions to the norm.  For instance, Paysage d'Hiver plays some really heavy and slow riffs that are definitely black, but without tremolo.

I like Ride for Revenge, but always thought that Flooded Church of Asmodeus was just better. The heavier noise influence in the latter goes a long way for me.  However, I probably should check out the Ride for Revenge/Bizarre Uproar collaboration again, now that I think of it.  Black Mass of Absu is another band that I have been meaning to listen to for a long time (ever since I saw their Goatowarex vinyl release).  Never heard of Barathrum, though.  Thanks!

I keep seeing Perverted Ceremony show up on various sites that I visit, and was intrigued by their recent split with Witchcraft.  I will have to look into them soon.  Do they have any noise influence?

As a side note, I have spent a decent amount of time listening to Black Mass of Absu lately.  They are great, so thanks again to everyone who recommended them!  I need more metal like this in my life.

Nope, no noise influence that I've noticed. It sounds very much like its artwork looks, if that makes any sense.

I think that I can get a sense of what you mean.  I checked out some of their music in between listening to acts on the Never Surrender fest livestream, and liked what I heard (the promo for the Witchcraft side of their recent split sounds good too).  I will have to look into them more!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: seventhcircle on October 22, 2019, 06:00:11 PM
Anyone else here looking forward to the Ride for Revenge dates in NYC? I plan on going the second night; despite having seen majority of the bill at least once, I am very excited to see all of them again.

I really wish that they would come close to where I live again.  I would go if I could manage to travel cross country on short notice to see them I would, but the likelihood of that happening seems nonexistent!

FallOfNature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4I4Ln18phI

Got this LP recently, paid a high price for it. If you can't get past the vocals of the first track, I highly recommend sticking it out ot hear the rest of the album.

yosef666

Quote from: seventhcircle on October 22, 2019, 06:00:11 PM
Flying from California on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing RFR again. Great lineup both nights. Also very excited to see Witchcraft and Sanguine Eagle for the first time. The rest of the acts are great too, seen them all before but all worth catching again.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

FallOfNature

https://satanictorment.bandcamp.com/

Nice stuff here if you're into Ride For Revenge, Barathrum, Countess, Necromantia...

yosef666

Quote from: FallOfNature on October 24, 2019, 09:08:37 AM
https://satanictorment.bandcamp.com/

Nice stuff here if you're into Ride For Revenge, Barathrum, Countess, Necromantia...
Really underrated stuff for sure.

Shameless plug: I coreleased a Ride For Revenge/Satanic Torment split 7". Still available for sale, trade or wholesale. I also have plenty of copies of the "Submit to the Lord of Darkness" tape still in stock.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer