BLACK METAL

Started by Andrew McIntosh, June 11, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Euro Trash Bazooka

I support the use of hard drugs for Youth Of Today. Then, maybe, MAYBE Ray Cappo will manage to make some decent music once in his lifetime.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

FallOfNature

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 14, 2018, 01:05:02 AM
I'd never heard Mysticum - In The Streams of Inferno 1996 before a couple days ago.  Some noteworthy atmosphere and vibe, and I like the feel the electronic drums give it.  I'm not seeing any credits for synths, but they're there.  Or is that some kind of guitar triggered MIDI deal?  The photos on the Peaceville reissue are creepy in a deranged, not mentally well way.  They're also funny.  What's the deal with the hard drug connexion and black metal?  Is that tongue-in-cheek?  Something common to underground culture in Norway?  Obviously, heroine etc isn't unique to Norway or black metal, but since it seems to be something specifically mentioned on albums, I'm curious.

I was always under the impression that LSD was their vice of choice. Great album in any case.

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: FallOfNature on July 15, 2018, 11:21:06 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 14, 2018, 01:05:02 AM
I'd never heard Mysticum - In The Streams of Inferno 1996 before a couple days ago.  Some noteworthy atmosphere and vibe, and I like the feel the electronic drums give it.  I'm not seeing any credits for synths, but they're there.  Or is that some kind of guitar triggered MIDI deal?  The photos on the Peaceville reissue are creepy in a deranged, not mentally well way.  They're also funny.  What's the deal with the hard drug connexion and black metal?  Is that tongue-in-cheek?  Something common to underground culture in Norway?  Obviously, heroine etc isn't unique to Norway or black metal, but since it seems to be something specifically mentioned on albums, I'm curious.
I was always under the impression that LSD was their vice of choice. Great album in any case.
ah, that's different.  I don't consider LSD a hard drug.  Different animal.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Andrew McIntosh

This is definitely my favourite album promo. You'll take it with what seriousness you will, I think it's both cornily entertaining and genuinely interesting. They talk a bit more about their drug "obsession" describing the first track.

"LSD" and "The Ether" really are excellent tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buUPR3WBkFU
Shikata ga nai.

Foss

Mysticum was always a standout band in the Norwegian scene. Even in later years when everyone was getting magazine covers etc. they were still dangerous for real. I think more the connection is to take heeps of chemical drugs and then top it off with LSD. I did a rap demo (yeah...) around 2000 and sampled the last ambient track of the "Streams.." album. Somehow this landed in the hands of the guys and i met up with them via some mutual friends, they were into harsh rap at the time so it was good. But they have the appereance more of Blasphemy and such than any other norwegian bands . Also Black Magic Mushrooms 7" is such an insane track. Hard techno and electronic music resonated a lot in Norway at the time.

As a response to some Ulver discussions also, i think they and a few other of the norwegian contemporaries took the electronic impulses a bit too far in a shallow way. It seems like a few of them just listened to some Mo' Wax or the likes and just wanted to replace real drums with that and=avantgarde. Dødheimsgard is really a victim of this mindset. Satanic Art is great, 666 is cheesy as hell and the next one is just a disgrace. But i think Ulver always had a too clean approach to experimentation, as so many of their contemporaries. It seems like a good idea to experiment with boundaries of Black metal, but i think the failure was in that they was already too tied up in record deals with producers etc. It was always experimenting with expensive synth patches and choirs, getting a famous violin guy or some shit in the studio. Not going into the woods or a shed and banging on shit with a walkman etc. It became too clean too fast.

DSOL

if anyone liked the Mooncitadel demo, the new EP is just as good.
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

FallOfNature

Quote from: DSOL on July 18, 2018, 06:14:43 PM
if anyone liked the Mooncitadel demo, the new EP is just as good.

Impatiently waiting for that to arrive.

The Black - Priest Of Satan reissue + merchandise is up for pre-order at Osmose for anyone interested.

DSOL

thanks for the heads up on The Black reissue. such an underrated record
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Decrepitude

Quote from: holy ghost on July 13, 2018, 03:47:34 AM
I'll echo the above that these Ulver records suffered greatly at the hands of the CD (pic LP limited to 300) mentality of the 90's as the overall aesthetic of all three early records are absolutely stunning, the reissues look absolutely beautiful and really highlight the music within. I'm on to NM now and wow, did this album define my teen years in a lot of ways. It's so interesting to see the shift in perception towards production in black metal, this just does not really sound as "raw" as it's referenced. It's got a ton of fantastic riffs on it and the production suits it. It's efinitely a slap in the face compared to Bergtatt but definitely not this sloppy nightmare joke record it's defined as.

Incidentally Ulver have left me completely cold post NM, I went back to Shadows of the Sun recently and it was just not anything I could get into. Same with the Sunn/Ulver collab but I did really and truly love that Aethenor record with the blue cover "En Form for Bla" I think? Once I hit up some early Emperor that's going on.

That Aethenor record is great, I wish I could find free-improv records as good as that. Supersilent seems similar, but I haven't got the chance to pick any of theirs up yet.

NM is a favorite of mine too. For some reason, when I was younger I used to many times come home from bar and put it on when I went to sleep. Hymne VI is epic!

Zeno Marx

Martyrium - L.V.X. Occulta 1994 - also new to me and from a Negative Plane recommendation - rich and resonating.  I've been thinking about this album for a couple days.  Any recommendations for bands or albums similar?  I don't know why, but it also got me thinking about Stargazer and Mortuary Drape.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Euro Trash Bazooka

That Martyrium album reminds me of Immortal's "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism" a lot.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 04, 2018, 10:43:52 PM
Martyrium - L.V.X. Occulta 1994 - also new to me and from a Negative Plane recommendation - rich and resonating.  I've been thinking about this album for a couple days.  Any recommendations for bands or albums similar?  I don't know why, but it also got me thinking about Stargazer and Mortuary Drape.

Funereal Presence, the solo project of Bestial Devotion (drummer/vocalist of Negative Plane).

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on August 06, 2018, 02:54:50 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 04, 2018, 10:43:52 PM
Funereal Presence, the solo project of Bestial Devotion (drummer/vocalist of Negative Plane).
Ah yeah.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  Both releases had their own thing happening.  Both really, really good.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

some good and interesting stuff happening on Wagner Ödegård - Om Domedag och de Femton Järtekn.  catchy, too.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.