Absolute morons selling defunct stuff they "haven't checked"?

Started by Yrjö-Koskinen, June 11, 2016, 10:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrjö-Koskinen

When browsing various auction sites in different languages, one thing that strikes me is the absurd amount of people selling an item while saying in the info that they "don't know if it works". How on God's green earth would this be possible? If you're trying to sell a mixer, a portastudio or a pedal, exactly how difficult is it to check if the thing is broken? Usually, of course, this isn't revealed in the initial listing, but you have to read the detailed description to all of a sudden be informed that it's basically a piece of junk, that may contain spare parts. Because surely it must be the case every single time that
a) it's simply a burnt out husk that is being peddled, and
b) the idiot selling it thinks that some poor moron will surmise something like "AHA, finally a Trumpesque deal of a life time - he hasn't even CHECKED if it works, surely it must!"

This has annoyed me to such a degree, and is so common, that I am now trying to calm myself by finding a rational explanation. Have you ever sold a piece of equipment without bothering, or "being able to" (as some say) check if it works? If so - why/how? Or must we simply, as I suspect, add these people to the list of those destined for the lamp posts?
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Theodore

It's even more annoying when they say "serviced" and when you ask them a technical question regarding what they did, they don't know to answer you !
Or they say "excellent condition", how the fuck you know it's in excellent condition ? Did you do tests ? Are the measurements close to specs ? Tell me numbers. Silence. No reply. Sooner or later i ll find a fool to buy it, he thinks.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Cementimental

Don't get it, in my experience 'don't know if it works' on ebay universally means 'it works fine but i can't be bothered to look at the back of it and figure out what power cable it uses or google the manual,' and sold for parts/not working usually means 'the output jack/battery clip just needs resoldering' or 'spray some switch cleaner in it and it's fine'

l.b.

Quote from: Cementimental on June 14, 2016, 01:09:29 PM
Don't get it, in my experience 'don't know if it works' on ebay universally means 'it works fine but i can't be bothered to look at the back of it and figure out what power cable it uses or google the manual,' and sold for parts/not working usually means 'the output jack/battery clip just needs resoldering' or 'spray some switch cleaner in it and it's fine'
Yeah this. "haven't checked" just means "cheap"

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: l.b. on June 22, 2016, 07:17:46 PM
Yeah this. "haven't checked" just means "cheap"

I'll have to look into this. I just figured no normal person who wanted to sell something wouldn't bother to check if it works. Once again, my ambition to be cynical and realistic has failed me miserably.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

holy ghost

This happens to me with DOD pedals. Obviously the switches are all total shit but I've recently bought TWO Death Metals and had problems with the switches. The first one I didn't ask, just assumed it worked but the switch seemed to disintegrate within a few clicks. the second I specifically asked the guy if the switch was still functioning - "yeah of course" and "of course" it's been slammed so hard it won't turn off. Still my fault for not testing it out first. It works - but not perfectly.

I mean it still works and the guy seemed legit but I highly doubt he even bothered to plug the fuckin' thing in before he sold it.

Fortunately I have just secured a third, works great. I might just get a little bypass looper to turn the other one off or on. I use them for bass, not for noise. It's a sick bass fuzz. I want two in my chain.

I also have a thrash master and I really need to find a metal maniac pedal....

Potier

This. Usually to be had for cheap, too... I'd say I won in like 90% of such transactions.

online prowler

calaverasgrande

I think a lot of these listings are places such as Pawn Shops that dont do much more than plug it in to see if it lights up. Pawn shop personnel vary widely in their expertise. I'm not surprised when a pawn shop employee has no idea what a 20 year old piece of home recording gear is for. Also never surprised when they over-value it nonetheless.
I've also cleaned up buying 'parts repair' gear before.
I have an Adcom 535 MKII power amp that I use for my monitor speakers. 60 wpc, crazy overbuilt so that is a solid 60 watts, more like some brands 120 watts.  It was sold with only one good channel. I looked up the schematic and it has an internal fuseholder. Pushed the button on that auction and a week later I was enjoying a great power amp for a cheap price plus one reed fuse.