7 From Life

Started by bogskaggmannen, June 04, 2016, 12:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

Enjoyed their contribution to the "Musica Venenae" compilation tape on Inner-X-Musick. Is their fullength works in the same style? Rough 80's industrial, plain and simple.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on June 04, 2016, 12:26:26 AM
Is their fullength works in the same style?

Pretty much. Though in the project's very brief term, courtesy some time Sleep Chamber bassist(?) Van Horn, the sound progressed from somewhat rough to somewhat less rough. I have not actually heard Taste Of Tongues- line-up seemed a bit too SC oriented to attract initial interest. But this one- "Asbestosis" from Musica Venenæ: Industrial Culture Music Volume 1- is quite solid, stands up to very good contributions from Merzbow and Controlled Bleeding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-aWP_8haqk

Above: woozy funeral atmospherics, dissonant bass thrum, ghostly whistles, all brought to industrial-strength half-life by periodic collapsing of assorted acoustic scraps.

I would generally describe the 7 From Life sound as very heavily influenced by the kind of movies that inspired The Rita, with a bit more emphasis on island sea adventure, sci-fi, the like. But unlike the Rita, whose influences are not always so obviously apparent in the recorded output, Van Horn seems to have actually made an effort at "re-imagining" the soundtracks to all these films in his head. Track-length movie clips underscore moody psyche reverberation, warbling repetitive dirge-ambience, ever present bass keeping the grimy layers of murk on track, occasionally venturing in vaguely ritual territory... plus any number of odd experimental diversions.

For "rough 80s industrial" Sting Of The Honey Spider is probably the surest bet, but it's probably all worthy of investigation. Souls Of Dead Sharks and Coral Assault are at least as enjoyable to me. Right now listening to the latter and one track, probably "Dresden 1945", could pass for a murkier mellowed out Zyklon SS- hefty overdriven bass, flits of metallic clank, smoked out machine rattle, though the machine guns don't actually come in till a track or two later...

The only outlier might be Tantra Vendetta, which sounds exactly as advertized. A fair degree mellower, at times even serene, floating ritual-ambient tones, with some clear percussion banging into the principle excurions. There are slightly darker moments, with taste of processional drama,

edit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltfu2ni5wS8

...but some of this is almost Hollywood ready- at least, in the alternate idealized Hollywood universe of my mind's ear.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag