drone boxes, pedals, equipments etc.

Started by sbtdoh, December 13, 2015, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Heh, I notice Handmade has run out of drone boxes for the time being. Hopefully Mr Rucci can make some more for the drone hungry masses.
Shikata ga nai.

linxtyx

I really don't understand the logic behind investment in this kind of "synths". They are extremely expensive, though very limited. Yesterday I got an argument with some kind of hand-made synths guru (heard of him for a first time) on FB. His arguments was "they are expensive because people put their time into production and they are not produced by children-slaves..bla bla..we care about how sound is produced bla bla.." at that point I understood that I can't accept these things more then form of fetishism for expensive hand-made gadgets.

Though things like BabyBox are nice, but they only are useful as small sound or loop production units, but not synths.

Andrew McIntosh

Expensive? A lot of them are remarkably cheap. There's a lot of new "mini synths" coming out now that are very affordable, comparatively. Shit, even Roland have put out a few new synths that emulate the old Juno but at less than half the price. It looks to me that this is a good time for mini synths that give good sound for a decent price, at fucking last!

If there are people doing "bestoke" synths for inflated prices, fuck them. Go for the cheaper and better options. A few have been mentioned on this thread already.
Shikata ga nai.

linxtyx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on February 15, 2016, 04:05:29 PM
Expensive? A lot of them are remarkably cheap. There's a lot of new "mini synths" coming out now that are very affordable, comparatively. Shit, even Roland have put out a few new synths that emulate the old Juno but at less than half the price. It looks to me that this is a good time for mini synths that give good sound for a decent price, at fucking last!

If there are people doing "bestoke" synths for inflated prices, fuck them. Go for the cheaper and better options. A few have been mentioned on this thread already.

As I checked today, yeah. Some really cheap and remarkable things mentioned in this thread.

Pax Chetyorka

MFOS Sound Labs are incredible.
Not technically a drone box, but acts like one! Just avoid hooking it up to a keyboard. ;)

linxtyx

Quote from: Pax Chetyorka on February 16, 2016, 08:55:30 PM
MFOS Sound Labs are incredible.
Not technically a drone box, but acts like one! Just avoid hooking it up to a keyboard. ;)

Yeah, they are. But assembled units are extremely pricy and process of assemble is really difficult. Thinking about this for years. Logical step would be to buy a kit and find someone experienced enough to construct it locally. 

Andrew McIntosh

True. The whole point of Soundlab is to build it yourself. I brought an assembled one second hand a few years ago, and either Soundlab synths are crap or this one was badly put together. I found it very unpredictable in live performances, and this particular one doesn't have pan pots (something I could always do something about myself I realise). The sound itself was somewhat thin to my ears, but mind you I haven't used it for a while.
Shikata ga nai.

C601

Arturia minibrute for $200 on eBay > any drone box guys

tiny_tove

Yesterday I have received the new module from the guys who did Black Death Synth

it is called erd/erd and I really like it.

this is a first out of the box test with sounds from the lep loop 808 CY drone generator, a little module that is far from being aggressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auqm1aSXfQk

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

vomitgore

Has anyone got the "Dark Matter" pedal by TC? Does it handle the low frequencies as good as it says it does, or is it just full distortion blast like the "Death Metal"?

calaverasgrande

I've got a few things that do drones.
I built one of the Dronelab kits from Casper labs. Cost me about $150 on CL from some guy who bought it but realized it required actual soldering skill.
It is very useful for being able to generate multiple waves at the same time, but mine has problems getting the levels of the various waves into a relative ballpark with each other.
What I use instead of that often is a pair of Doepfer Dark Energy modules. You can find these used for $400-500 or so.
It has PWM which can be controlled by one or both LFOs. There are also a number of ways to get really weird with the filter, but it is only low pass on the MK 1 units.

I used to make drones with a tape loop in a cassette deck. I could go on about that forever, so I wont.

I also have garnered some of the best results simply making feedback loops with a handful of guitar stompboxes.
Incorporating digital pitch shifters and analog filter pedals along with ordinary modulation pedals is very rewarding.
I've especially enjoyed using 3 or 4 modulation pedals set on very mild amounts of effect. Together there is no easily identified periodicity to the modulation, but it is audibly changing constantly.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: vomitgore on April 09, 2016, 12:56:40 PM
Has anyone got the "Dark Matter" pedal by TC? Does it handle the low frequencies as good as it says it does, or is it just full distortion blast like the "Death Metal"?

Sorry to dig this old post up but im new here and just looking for stuff that interests me.

I recently picked up one of these TC pedals, it does seem to handle bass tones quite nicely.  You only have lo/hi EQ and the hi seems more responsive from what i've heard so far.  The gain is a fairly huge range, and for the price of the pedal it seems to do the job.

In terms of drone boxes, Electro Faustus now make Drone Thing which looks pretty impressive.