Fundamental Equipment for PE/Death Industrial/Drone/Dark Ambient

Started by BlackHole, November 04, 2015, 06:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackHole

Hello, first post on this forum. Great forum. First I need to mention I am completely new to the genre of PE/NOISE/INDUSTRIAL and the like. Not listening, I've been a listener for years but recently have been inspired to have my hand at making the music myself. I am not new to making music in general, I am a guitar player and am pretty musically inclined. The bands/artists I am most heavily influenced and inspired by are Brighter Death Now, Genocide Organ, Lustmord, the "Time Machines" album by Coil, early Current 93, Mz.412, Puce Mary, etc. More droning, dark, and rhythmic works.

My question is, what are the essential equipment used for making this kind of sounds, and how is it done? I know I need a mixing board (suggestions on brand, models, etc), affects pedals, tape players, contact mics, drum machines, synths?

Basically I'm asking for the core components of where to start on assembling a set up and how to begin experimenting with it and making some sounds. And maybe some extras that could be added to mix. Thanks in advance.

tiny_tove

you are opening the gates of hell with this first post eheh

there are no fundamental equipments nos fundamental laws. what counts is attitude and will to experiment. anything that makes sounds can be turned into good noises, suitable for any of these atmospheres.
each project you mention uses different kind of devices, both digital and analog and I am pretty sure every person involved in projects here on the forum would give you different opinions.

Personally I use synths (mostly from Korg and Arturia), boxes (dod, boss), some self built material and many instruments created by "artisans" (trogotronik, sirkut, leploop/lumanoise, kinetik laboratories, black death, bug brand, ecc), which are my fave also because they are those who makes the difference.

Regarding mixer I use two beringhers at home and a valvolar Kabortron in studio.

If you have space, make sure you get decent amps, especially if you want to do loud stuff. They make the difference.

anways there are several threads on single subjects you should check.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Leatherface

I think that everything that made a sound can do the job.
Be creative, or be the clone of the existing bands...

F_c_O

As has been said, there isn't fundamental equipment per se. My advice is, seek out the kind of sound _you_ like and enjoy. My personal guideline is to attempt to make the kind of tape I want to listen to, perfect pe for myself and choose methods based on that. Experiment with different techniques. Look at youtube videos showcasing different kinds of instruments/synths/programs and try to find the ones that suit you and your needs and liking. In the end, on personal level, making this kind of music isnt about pleasing audience, more about making the kind of material you personally enjoy and trying to find an angle that differentiates you from all the other bands (in the end, the reason, at least for me, to listen to new projects is because they do something different or have something else in their music than what others are doing.)

cosmonaut

In principle I agree that anything that makes a sound could be used. Unlike in other genres, e.g., techno, where you probably need specific pieces of equipment (or their emulations) to get going, in this camp you have many more options. At the same time, saying "anything works" is a bit unhelpful if someone has no experience with electronic equipment.

A quick suggestion for a starter, given the influences you mention, would be a Korg MS-20 (the new version is inexpensive and sounds pretty good). A lot of people like the MicroBrute (which I tested and did not find particularly interesting) or the BassStation (I have the old 1990s one, but the new version sounds even better). In any case, for the sound you seem to be looking for, an analogue monosynth is key.

And a physical drum machine maybe. This does not have to be top-notch: even an old PCM machine like the Yamaha RY series, or a virtual analog (I particularly like the Korg ER-1), if combined with some pedals, can fulfill most of your needs.

As for pedals, a delay (I like the Mooer Analogue Delay pedal, great sounding and also inexpensive), possibly a reverb, and one or two distortion or overdrive pedals are enough for starters.

I second Marco's suggestion re: the mixers. Make sure to teach yourself, and understand well, the principles of no-input mixing, with pedals in the chain. Even if you don't want to use no-input mixing per se, feedback loops combined with inputs are key to get many of the sounds you might hear in PE and death industrial.

tiny_tove

Quote from: cosmonaut on November 04, 2015, 03:18:31 PM
Mooer Analogue Delay

Blessed be Mooer!!! I am getting several of them... Also the Shimmer reverb is a good way to begin with on a budget. I am sure ina few months you'll find many of these for almost nothing.

BlackHole

I'm  not asking for specific pedals and pieces of gear to use, just what the basics are that I need. What components are needed, or recommended. Not trying to rip anyone off of copy sounds.

cosmonaut

Quote from: BlackHole on November 04, 2015, 05:55:09 PM
I'm  not asking for specific pedals and pieces of gear to use, just what the basics are that I need. What components are needed, or recommended. Not trying to rip anyone off of copy sounds.

an analogue monosynth

a physical drum machine maybe

a delay

a reverb

one or two distortion or overdrive pedals

mixer (for feedback loops)

cosmonaut

Quote from: tiny_tove on November 04, 2015, 04:28:31 PM
Mooer Analogue Delay

Blessed be Mooer!!! I am getting several of them... Also the Shimmer reverb is a good way to begin with on a budget. I am sure ina few months you'll find many of these for almost nothing.

I'll put the shimmer on the list of future acquisitions. Have you tried the pitch box?

tiny_tove

nope, any good?
I am currently waiting for the bit cruncher, highly suggested by Corrado Uncodified.

cosmonaut

Quote from: EXU on November 04, 2015, 10:21:23 PM
Just do everything the wrong way.

Here they come...how long before the juvenile crowds take over? This is not that noiseguide forum. Or at least I hope so.

cosmonaut

Quote from: tiny_tove on November 04, 2015, 09:59:28 PM
nope, any good?
I am currently waiting for the bit cruncher, highly suggested by Corrado Uncodified.

Yes, the pitchbox is a game changer to a certain extent, especially in "detune" mode in FB loops. But also as harmonizer or plain pitch shift, I use it a lot after delay within the modular.
Corrado is totally obsessed with those pedals indeed, he was suggesting the black secret to me. But I think he's the kind of guy who has an individualized pedal suggestion for each one of us...

BlackHole

Thanks for some of the suggestions. Going to be making a few purchases soon

Leewar

We used a washing machine running through a cycle once, sounded great for dark brooding sounds mic'ed up into a few pedals with a bit of reverb.