What do you record to?

Started by sick, August 10, 2015, 03:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sick

I've been using tascam 4 track but thinking of getting an 8-track or DAW

curious  what others use becase i hear some pretty clear sounding noiseindustrial lately and actualy like being able to hear the layers cleanly mixed

Bleak Existence

Zugzwang Productions

I use a soundcard and Reaper as a DAW, but 4-tracks are also part of my creating and recording process.

makhlukhalus

Straight to Zoom H4 recorder. Editing, layering and sequencing on Audacity.

Andrew McIntosh

Started with four tracks because at the time there wasn't anything else. From a lovely old Fostex X 30 (look a this beautiful bastard!)

to a Tascam 4x4 Mark III. At the time the most recent Tascam on the shelves and it produced the most beautiful sound. I used it as it was until I got a computer and used it as a mixer straight to the hard drive without any issues. But its outputs got too loose to use reliably, and after some very unsatisfactory uses of this pissy little Eurorack UB803 (is there anyone in the Noise universe who doesn't have one of these fucking cunts?!) I got a fairly reliable mixer to go straight to hard drive with.
Shikata ga nai.

Repentance Products

My tried and true Yamaha 4-track, then digitized, trimmed/edited, and mastered on various software.
From there usually wav format to cassette or cd or whatever.

SUBKLINIK

Fostex D160 rackmount multitrack, mix through a Soundcraft 400B analog console, and store mixes on a Zoom H2. Edits and mastering on Audacity.

Ashmonger

I don't exactly know a lot about recording (well, let's say I'm a total mongoloid), I have done some recordings to the computer (with an E-MU external sound card), but a while ago I bought a second hand Panasonic shoe box cassette player (model no. RQ-2104), so I wanted to try to record some stuff with it. First I recorded some sounds with a contact mic and that worked rather well. Then afterwards, with another tape player, I played this tape through some pedals and a bass amp and recorded it again with the Panasonic. I tried it both without a microphone and with a microphone. The result was that the part I re-recorded with the distortion pedal turned off still sounded quite ok (though obviously a bit mutilated), but when I had turned on the distortion pedal the sound was muffled, unclear and really silent, even though the bass amp was pretty loud and the cassette player and microphone were right in front of the amp.
Any ideas what happened? I'm not certain whether it's the tape player itself (which might have had its best time, since when I play tapes with it, it sounds much noisier than they really are) or the setting...

F_c_O

Directly to fellac cassette onto a 2 track (left/right) tape deck. Due to the fact that I've only had two microphones, I've had to record only to one track and then make everything mono in post processing. Probably not the greatest way to do things but I don't think anyone has noticed yet or if they have, they haven't said anything about it, heh.

tiny_tove

zoom 4hN for field , "live in studio" and single track

boss br-600, when I need to do multi track recording

I also use a lot Iphone 5 for instant field recordings and samples with the apps fire and irig recorder

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0