Recording Percussion/Metal junk

Started by sick, August 02, 2015, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sick

..In order to get clearer,, full sounds rather than a  Wall of metal distortion

example: I have metal oil drums and cymbals , when doing the drumming i've been ataching pick  ups then to amp then line in to 4 track cassette
not really the best result
for a. thick sound,
any mics or any one would recomend to pick up the metals sounds and send through the amp?
After the amp , should i use another mic or handheld recorder and maybe then put the sound to the 4-track or would also purchassing an 8-track digital or using a DAW be better
Or no mic and just line in to whatever i finally transfer it to

Other discussion for metal percussion or mic ing found objects would be nice to hear

Bleak Existence

contact mic without any fx or just a boost cliped to junk straight into my 4 tracks was the best way i found to record metal abuse

sick

Quote from: Bleak Existence on August 03, 2015, 03:14:54 AM
contact mic without any fx or just a boost cliped to junk straight into my 4 tracks was the best way i found to record metal abuse

if we ' re talking about Abuse, that always work for me to, i hate using much distortion because it masks the metal quality of sounds of it
but i'm trying to get clear percussive sounds

but this percussion is mainly to have some looped rhythm

think early swans drum loop sound sorta

bitewerksMTB

" should i use another mic or handheld recorder and maybe then put the sound to the 4-track or would also purchassing an 8-track digital or using a DAW be better
Or no mic and just line in to whatever i finally transfer it to"

Do all of that & figure out which works best for your needs. Make sure recording levels are not too high & you don't have to beat the hell out of everything to get good
sounds especially with something like an oil drum.

pentd

try recording from some distance instead of close up.. get the room to resonate instead of capturing just the klinggg

sick

I bought an shure m57 mic and attach 2 contact mics but still using the 4-trak but it better fuller sounding

i record in the basement with clear space so it helps