Reference mix / noise albums with great "production"

Started by Foyer Second, July 10, 2015, 02:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foyer Second

Is there tracks or albums you use as reference to compare with your own productions ? And do you think that some albums have great production ?

Because of the nature of the sounds involved as well as the empiric and DIY approach of the recordings, it may be weird to speak of great production value in noise. Adding that it may be sometimes difficult to distinguish good production from sound beneficial to the music (early Burzum, Bathory), or, for example, when someone mentioned in another thread that if one wants something to sound loud or to capture the feeling of speakers reaching their limits, it should be recorded that way and not expect post-processing to reach that goal; an album from Incapacitants was taken as an example to point that even at low volume, it successfully delivers that feeling of loudness. But again, when listening to Incapacitants, great production isn't the word that would come to mind (IMO). So, could the usual production value be applied here and is it even possible to have good material ruined by messy production ? Are people concerned with loudness war even in the noise genre (it seems the overall output level of albums has dropped a bit in the recent years)

Also, only a few pure noise works may have been recorded in a studio with a professional workflow, and actually, how does it compared to the home recordings in term of overall sound quality ? (while renting some studio times may happened more frequently in P.E.) I used to think that more traditional workflow produced albums that sounded softer and "limited" (in term of what not to do) but it was youthful stupidity.
Names that come to mind are Hijokaidan ("made in studio"), Testicle Hazard ("python in the bowl"), Macronympha ("studio 95")...

I have difficulties sorting noise albums that come to me as being well produced... John Mannion "Slice Through Or/In Glassmetal" LP on Hanson Records ?

F_c_O

Personally, I dont like hifi production at all. It always sounds flat and lifeless to me. To me, the best produced noise is on the area of male rape group/dead body love/swastika kommando and so forth. This is what I have always wanted to sound like and aim for with my music. I cant give rats arse about hearing all the nuances or whatever in the music, to me the general feeling and atmosphere is way more important than hearing every sound being produced. This extends to other genres, for example, I personally believe that rock music production peaked with uriah heep's magician's birthday lp after which things have slowly but surely declined to some of the truly atrocious shit heard in modern days.

Bleak Existence

kinda think the same thing as you i prefer the lo-fi production for noise and also for any other style of music

Foyer Second

Quote from: F_c_O on July 11, 2015, 12:51:57 AM
I personally believe that rock music production peaked with uriah heep's magician's birthday lp after which things have slowly but surely declined to some of the truly atrocious shit heard in modern days.

While I am not familiar with their discography, it is certainly a well produced album and nowhere near lo-fi. In that case, the criticism would be more against the sound of "modern" production.

F_c_O

Quote from: Foyer Second on July 11, 2015, 09:57:34 AM
I personally believe that rock music production peaked with uriah heep's magician's birthday lp after which things have slowly but surely declined to some of the truly atrocious shit heard in modern days.

While I am not familiar with their discography, it is certainly a well produced album and nowhere near lo-fi. In that case, the criticism would be more against the sound of "modern" production.
Compared to what nowadays seem to be thought of as 'hi-fi' sound, many people regard that album having a bad production and lofi sound. Or then I talk with the wrong people. In any case, I think what I meant came through clearly enough, even if some word choices werent the best ones.

ONE

The lack of what I consider production values in noise/industrial is a major bête noir for me.  It's the curse of all DIY ventures.

W/ the exception of the later Whitehouse albums and modern Consumer Electronics I'm hard pressed to name someone unequivocally within the genre that ticks all the boxes and doesn't sound like it was crushed/limited/recorded through a potato and bounced through an old telegraph line.

Personally, I dont like hifi production at all. It always sounds flat and lifeless to me.

I see what you've done here :-)

As far as reference mix examples go I'd personally look to the Mika Vainio back catalogue: he delivers, and I believe time will treat his work kindly.
resist the things you can find everywhere

acsenger

Merzbow's studio albums basically always sound great to me (just one example is Tauromachine). Mania also stands out for me: whether it's a tape, CD or vinyl, the physicality of the sounds is palpable. There's much more of an immediate impact than with most noise. Another album I can think of that has this kind of impact (although musically it's very different) is Thomas Köner's Novaya Zemlya.