Properly calibrating tone arm/anti skip

Started by Johann, June 15, 2015, 05:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johann

This seems to be a fairly basic need that few people know well enough or care.
I have a few records where the bass gets so dense the arm just starts skating, this is obviously alarming and I immediately stop play. I assume it has something to do with the counter weight/anti skating dial. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Johann

FreakAnimalFinland

Best if you have blank sided vinyl. Put needle on middle of 12" side and if it stays where it is supposed (without groove), then it is pretty much ok. Needle weight should be according to default on your turntable. Most "hi-fi" turntables use less weight than DJ turntables.

Skipping most likely suggests too little weigh. Unless you REALLY overdo it, it's hard to ruin vinyl with just couple grams of weight, so more damage can be done with light weight tonearm which starts to jump and make scratches over vinyl surface.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

F_c_O

What are good items to weigh down your tone arm? Not too heavy and not too light.

repeater

My friend used to use 1zl pieces, or just put 3 layers of sticky tape on the needle head. You only need a very small amount of weight to keep it in place.

Johann

I adjusted the counter weight, it's weird though because it seems to have to deal with volume. On certain records it hits some grooves and just becomes all bass and vibrates across the records. This happens on multiple turntables. Currently I'm using a numark TT-1520, before I was using a dual (a brand I'm very find of and have had great experiences with). I however do not think the volume is that loud porportionetly to be the culprit. Could it have to deal with how the record is cut?

Cementimental

When you say to do with volume do you mean that it happens more when your amp is turned up loud? If so maybe it could be feeding back?

Johann

I didn't consider feedback. It's an old hi fi system with the turntable to phono jacks and properly grounded. It happens most with any blood stereo/nyoukis LP's I have, and on the track I put a spell on you by screaming jay (which I use as a test record). But other records, from yalta hi-life to sublime freq. or old soul 45s produce no such effect even at significantly louder levels.

Thanks for all the insights from everyone.

ligature impression

The needle weight is specific to the needle/cartridge (here's mine). You have to turn the tonearm weight adjuster knob until your tonearm doesn't bob up or down, it should just float. Then you set the knob to 0 (should still be floating), and then turn the knob to the weight your needle calls for. If you have the knob on the tonearm, you shouldn't need extra weights. Too much weight can break the needle tip.

I know I set the "anti-skate" dial, but I don't remember the method for that. If your record is just sliding, that might be the cause if it's up too high.