LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

cr

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Guldur

Yeah..both were great evenings. Lot of great music and some true art has happened. I will try to sum up all what i have seen and write some short report on both evenings, but now i can say, that Prurient + GO cooperation sounded great....

FreakAnimalFinland

Festival was excellent!!
Started our long journey about 4:00 in morning, drove to Helsinki airport, took plane to Frankfurt. Trainride to Mannheim was delayed for whatever reason, but luckily just 15 mins stop in middle of nowhere.
There was one of organizing crew already waiting and took us to hotel. Opportunity to rest, maybe, but as this was free day without any obligation, German beer was more luring!

Venue was very nice. Located in industrial/warehouse type of area, behind fences you could sit outdoors or go inside in large enough, but not too large venue. Great PA system, big video screen, etc. basically all one would need for proper industrial show.

Fest started with THO-SO-AA, which was not bad, but I personally have not been so big fan of the work. Latest LP release was while ago on my playlist, and not that much to complain, but remains sort of anonymous work, as there is not so much of human element, more of technological feel to me. But nevertheless, I watched part of the show and not bad. Perhaps just plague of opening band to not be yet 100% in the mood.

Alfarmania was very nice! If I have to judge this as comparison to their shows in Finland and United Forces of Industrial, they did it much better! Not that it would have been too bad before, but now it seemed like vocal balances are better and less drinking etc. More focus?! Who know what exactly. Perhaps also strong PA and large video screen.

Ke / Hil show was very nice as well. Now I knew what to expect, so perhaps previous time at Tower Transmission I was blown away by seeing them first time. Now, knowing what to expect, it wasn't surprise anymore, but in conclusion that these guys know what they do. Cold and dark heavy electronics, repeating patterns. Laconic, processed vocals by each member, taking turns one song after another.

I didn't have much expectations for Brighter Death Now. I was under impression that it could be just drunken foolishness, but how wrong I was. Brilliant! Excellent gig proved that BDN is still going strong! 3 member line-up. mr. D.Nepal at bass, Roger doing vocals and Trepaneringsritualen guy doing... electronics? Not sure what, but at least 3 members on stage always look good! Very strong and pure sound, heavy throbbing beats, long fragments of samples etc. Nice!

Already close to 24h awake, and countless beers later, was pretty tired at this point. Hotel room was waiting...

Next day started where previous ended. After breakfast, weisse beer was luring...  It was several hours until it was time to be at soundcheck. Nevertheless, arrived at venue perhaps first. Short burst of thunderstorm hit in, but luckily had already arrived and brought our gear in. Soundchecks seemed to take forever, but that said, sound of entire festival was good!

Pain Nail was first band, and set was quite close to what was done at London, but little different gear and slightly different structures and additions to songs resulted very good results. Especially metal percussion sounded perhaps better than ever before. Songs consisted mostly new unreleased tracks and couple alternative versions of previous album and 7" songs, which has taken quite different form. Possibly musically the best Pain Nail gig so far?

Trepaneringsritualen was project I had waited quite a lot. I think just about every record he has done is very good. But live show left me quite cold. It was 100% playback. Basically empty stage, where guy screams. One can give credit that he did vocals well. Rhythmic tracks, where vocals were in time, with raw, "black metal"-esque spirit. Despite lots of moving on stage, he could perform songs just like on albums, not miss tempo or such. Unfortunately vocals had quite a lot glitchy crackles. Maybe even broken cable, since there was more crackles when he was walking left side of stage. Sound was sort of lo-fi, less powerful than most of bands, but I'd guess original sound already is slightly more suffocating and then no proper mixer boost/eq'ing to take advantage of massive PA. It was ok, but as albums are so good, I was expecting more.

Propergol I had very mixed feelings like usually with Propergol. At the same time I appreciate his technical know-how. Utmost clarity, utmost care to detail, etc... but then in other hand.. Digital computer sounds in sync with video material which seems to me like modern computer game trailers. Hmm...   All in all, people seemed to like it, but I watched for couple tracks and didn't feel like would need more..

I have seen Prurient several years ago. I didn't know what exactly to expect, as actually I have not yet even heard... is it already 2 latest albums. It just seems so "far away" from noise scene, hehe.. You know, I don't know if I have any Hydra Head stuff in my shelves. Or much of Profane Lore. Not that I would oppose those labels, but when releases happens on some other genre label who don't do trades or have much distribution within "noise scene", I never seen those available anywhere where I usually get my records/cd/tapes..
But right from the beginning, his set slayed! This was without doubt the best Prurient gig I have seen yet. Of course it is hard to compare with simple shows of 5 minutes feedback blast. Now, 40 minutes or so, lots of tracks with diverse sounds, great variation in vocal sounds, extremely piercing and loud. Most intense stage presence seen at the festival. Total commitment to both: sound, and physicality. Add also full video screen with collages.
After already full length set, Genocide Organ entered stage. Couple collaboration tracks of G.O.+PRURIENT proved to be excellent. Doubts what I expressed earlier on the day, was blown away by sheer brutality of this material.  Then followed shorter, roughly 20 mins set of GENOCIDE ORGAN. What a great set it was! I don't know how much comments it would need? Only band to get pretty rough "mosh pit" moving on front of stage. Forceful electronics, cold vocals, loud sound. Noisy and brutal material. Excellent!! Can't wait to see full length gig later this year...

Next day, we didn't leave that area at all. Just bought beer from gas-station and hanged out in some childrens playgrounds, consuming time. Trip back to finland and return to home after midnight...  Consuming, but really good trip!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

youwillneverknow

Good write up Mikko.

Personal highlights for me were: Prurient, Alfarmania, Pain Nail, and Ke / Hil
I took some short videos of Pain Nail and Alfarmania that I can share when I get to a computer.

vomitgore

Although it has been a while, still want to give a short report.

First of all, Mannheim, and especially this part of Mannheim, is pretty much the perfect location for such a festival. Very gritty and industrial city with lots of social tension. The venue itself was very good, had just the right size and offered some nice hangout possibilities outside.

I had never really heard THO-SO-AA, and didn't know what to expect. As I was told that most material of his leans towards Ambient, I wasn't too enthusiastic, but the set ended up being quite solid and noisy.

ALFARMANIA turned out to be my personal highlight of the festival. The first track they did was nothing short of breathtaking, especially regarding the vocal performances. That sick and disturbed feeling they convey on their albums was brought across perfectly and intensified even more due to the live situation, naturally. Heavy layers of sound all the way.

KE / HIL gig was pretty much what everyone who has heard the latest album would expect it to be. Very structured and "musical" set, highly enjoyable.

BRIGHTER DEATH NOW was my second-favourite of the entire festival. I had heard very critical statements regarding the gig in London and some other more recent one, but I like the project very much, so my feelings were kind of mixed. However, all doubts were blown away instantly. Great stage presence, Roger wandering through the audience with an open bottle of wine, falling off stage, being caried around by members of the audience etc. Set was totally violent and manic, people were going ape, moshing, shoving each other about and so on. Just perfect. I am not 100% sure about this, but I think the setlist was (nearly) identical to the one on the recently released "Payback" CD. Mostly old smash hits like "INNERWAR".

PAIN NAIL did a very nice set mixing the more "muddy" and more brutal, strutured sounds of the band. I had the feeling that the set got constantly better and more aggressive as time progressed. Very strong and superior to the live tape they did (which was also good). Nice vocal performance towards the end!

TREPANERINGSRITUALEN
put on quite the show, as one is used to. A lot of jumping around and movement in general. Vocals worked very well and sounds were all playback, as has been mentioned before. Of course, "real" electronics would have been more pleasing, but I kind of think that playback also works well with TPR material. Definitely the best-visited performance of all (at least it seemed like it). Mostly gothic type people standing there dancing, heh...

I am not really that big a fan of PROPERGOL. The sounds are always interesting, but it just lacks something. Set was OK,though. This kind of deep throbbing material and screechiness always works very well live and gives you that special gut feeling. I got the impression that the set was intended to be more of a background soundtrack for the video. This was certainly interesting, although quite far from any kind of Industrial or even PE aesthetic. Certainly not bad and a nice contrast.

I was keeping my fingers crossed that PRURIENT would play a hyper-harsh and crushing set. As is probably the case with many of the folks here, I love some of the old Prurient material, but have kind of a hard time finding access to some of the new stuff. The set turned out to be a well-conceived mixture of varied styles - dronish at times, sometimes also no-holds-barred violent. Dom is a madman on stage and it's downright fascinating to see him doing his routine. Although some aspects spoke to me much more than others, I would say that it was very successful all in all and a nice compromise between old and new style Prurient.

When GENOCIDE ORGAN entered the stage, they did a collaborative set with Prurient which was just awesome. I would have never thought it would work out, but this was more than convincing. Heavy GO sounds with Dom's astounding vocal performance and some additional noise. Absolutely superb! After that, GO did a short and very good set with some promising material from the upcoming "Autodefensas" album.

The atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly and there were some interesting chats with old contacts and some new faces also. Also managed to grab some nice merch directly from the artists which is always a neat thing. To sum things up: a total blast and a great weekend!