FFH/Richard Dunn

Started by Peterson, April 22, 2015, 04:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eigen Bast

The name was used for an unreleased tape on No Rent from 2015, and I found out about the show via an acquaintance that was playing with him. Unfortunately I can't find the flier now! I was surprised to see his name on there - had assumed he wasn't doing much these days.

doll

I listened to Make Them Understand a while ago and was pretty underwhelmed. recently downloaded a lot of digital stuff and that included Zyklon & Leather and Document (both on No Rent). Really enjoyed Zyklon & Leather. Document was boring in my opinion. Z&L prompted me to relisten to Make Them Understand and it was better than I remembered but still not something I see myself listening to a lot. So far FFH has been very hit or miss for me, but I'd like to hear some more stuff if anyone has any suggestions. I know a lot of people really like this project, and I'm trying to give it a chance, but so far it just isn't doing much for me
baby doll
I am your dog

Seeping Disembowelment

Quote from: doll on March 17, 2020, 01:02:50 AM
I listened to Make Them Understand a while ago and was pretty underwhelmed. recently downloaded a lot of digital stuff and that included Zyklon & Leather and Document (both on No Rent). Really enjoyed Zyklon & Leather. Document was boring in my opinion. Z&L prompted me to relisten to Make Them Understand and it was better than I remembered but still not something I see myself listening to a lot. So far FFH has been very hit or miss for me, but I'd like to hear some more stuff if anyone has any suggestions. I know a lot of people really like this project, and I'm trying to give it a chance, but so far it just isn't doing much for me
I would recommend 'Symbol To Be Forgotten' and 'To Find Men', both great tapes. I always heard how great 'What's The Difference' is and was pretty let down when I finally tracked down a copy, but a lot of people say that's their favorite of his discography, so maybe check that as well.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: Seeping Disembowelment on March 17, 2020, 07:23:31 AM
I would recommend 'Symbol To Be Forgotten'

Absolutely. Some of the most intense and vivid atmospheres on a PE release ever. Not to get too Noisextra* about it and imposing my own subjective narrative, but it makes me think of some horribly violent crime resulting from decades of tension happening on a hot summer day in a bad neighbourhood. I think because you have these police scanner samples, but also (what i previously assumed were documentary samples, but actually is Richard) spoken passages about an oppressed people, and samples of a black preacher or protest leader speaking at a rally. Really rousing inspirational words but in this atmosphere of total dread and despair.

*I actually love when Noisextra do that

deutscheasphalt

FFH played the most powerful live set I have ever heard. If you get a chance I recommend to go see them.

Mr Klang

Richard Dunn was also a member of Vegas Martyrs and performed as part of Nihilist Assault Group at the No Fun festival in New York (2005.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXVw8no8Y70 (starts at 8:45.)

theworldisawarfilm

A favourite of mine. Have to agree Dunn seems to have a knack for creating an actual atmosphere with his tracks, utilizing a limited (and sometimes quite primitive) palette of sounds. Highly unique and effective approach to PE style unlike basically anything I have heard. Honestly, characterizing it as Power Electronics seems a little cheap to me. Make Them Understand, Symbol to be Forgotten and the collaboration with Prurient, Central Park Jogger are all gold-star releases in my opinion, and I think I will pass this afternoon listening to all three of them.

EDIT: I think what I am trying to get at in regards to the 'effectiveness' of a 'limited sound palette' is that he manages to get a breadth and depth out of these elements that others rarely do.

DSOL

The collaboration with Prurient "Central Park Jogger" is super intense, some of my favorite material from both projects

favorite FFH would be Symbol To Be Forgotten followed by Zyklon And Leather

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

XXX

For those posting about reissues earlier in the thread, I am really not holding my breath on seeing anything from FFH on Hospital reissued in the future, solely based on the two simple facts that A) It hasn't been done yet: There are no Hospital reissues of any FFH material ever, other than the Silenced Whore tape which appears to have been his very first release, and just been a simple case of "oh we should have made more copies a few months ago, here are a few more C-10s in a vinyl clasp case" and that was 15 years ago...  B) Richard and Dom seem to not be friends anymore from what I am gathering, not sure they would want to work together again on something like that. I see FFH as a Hospital artist through and through... I know he has put out work on other labels so that might sound dumb but I think about that project as part of the classic Hospital roster. Over 70% of his output is on that label. Reissues would look strange in my eyes on another label without that Dom touch on the art and shit.

That said, I am not the most well versed when it comes to how labels / artists operate in the noise scene where everything is an operation of a much smaller magnitude than say some big label with 80,000 copies of a record. Doesn't some sort of licensing still have to take place? Like where a label has to agree and sign off on different label releasing music that they originally put out? Or does the artist have complete control? Or maybe it varies with each artist-label relationship? Like I said, I don't really have a frame of reference for this stuff when it comes to noise, can anyone offer me any insight?

Make Them Understand is a monolith and I cherish my physical copy dearly. Gonna give it a spin this evening.

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: XXX on March 21, 2020, 08:31:27 PMDoesn't some sort of licensing still have to take place? Like where a label has to agree and sign off on different label releasing music that they originally put out?
Depends on the agreement/contract but usually no.
Quote from: XXX on March 21, 2020, 08:31:27 PMOr does the artist have complete control?
If the copyright is not handed to the label exclusively via agreement/contract, the artist always owns their own material thus having complete control.

Theodore

"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

HateSermon

His set at this year's Summer Scum was one of the highlights of the fest. Great to see some old school PE live on a stage.