Ralph Steadman

Started by Andrew McIntosh, February 21, 2015, 09:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Steadman's splattered aesthetics and caustic, sardonic world view should be of interest to some here who have not yet already heard of him.

Shikata ga nai.

moozz

This guy HAS TO be the one drawing labels for Flying Dog.

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

Baglady

Any recommended book(s) collecting his colored works? I have the common bunch of H.S. Thompson books with his b/w illustrations, but have always wanted to see more.

ONE

The Curse Of Lono.

My copy is A3, words by HST, full colour plates including double spreads aplenty from Steadman.  Printed by Taschen.  Price around the 25 - 30€ mark, great value for what it actually is.

The original private press editions are A2 golddust, fiercely expensive, doubt they will surface.

resist the things you can find everywhere

PuddysJacket

Quote from: Baglady on March 21, 2015, 11:31:16 PM
Any recommended book(s) collecting his colored works? I have the common bunch of H.S. Thompson books with his b/w illustrations, but have always wanted to see more.

Seconding Curse of Lono. Also Gonzo: The Art

Major Carew

My mum knew Ralph Steadman in the 80s. The company she was working for commissioned him to make a painting of Charlie Chaplin for charity. Nice bloke apparently.

Mikerdeath

NO PART OF IT

Psycho geography

Alice In Wonderland

"Paranoid" rendering of a polaroid of Marilyn Monroe

Also hoping to eventually own a copy of this, a book pretending to be written by GOD:
https://prints.ralphsteadmanshop.com/image/1132827/ralph-steadman-exploding-creature

I once watched a time lapse video of him painting a mural in public, and it really blows my mind the way he works, his brush strokes are so understated compared to what the end results look like!  Also, his book on HST, while there's not much art in it, is a great perspective on him as a character and friend.  The guy lives in a castle!  I applaud artists who are too odd for many galleries, who still can make a good buck.  I still own an old and worn out Fear & Loathing t-shirt with Steadman's art from the 70s... 

I love his portraits of people:

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com