Power Electronics/Death Industrial Advice

Started by birthdeath, January 30, 2015, 05:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birthdeath

Quote from: Cementimental on February 07, 2015, 01:42:05 PM
Thanks.. I can't remember if that one's online and I'm away from computer at the moment so can't check/find it. Anyway it can sound like pretty much anything, just give it a go :)
yeah i was procrastinating trying that yesterday because i was too busy recording hours of me fucking with my volca keys and catching all the parts where it sounded unusual. So at least I've got a few good synth loops now.

birthdeath

Oh and here's a harsh noise track I made. I've been working on two death industrial tracks but I just did some feedback loop improv to get my mind off shit. Would like to know if I should continue this side-project
https://soundcloud.com/nonbeing-1/brokenflangershitsong

Pax Chetyorka

Quote from: birthdeath on February 04, 2015, 11:25:34 PM
I went to guitar center yesterday and they didnt really have a great selection of reverbs. I saw some behringer ones and tested them but they seemed pretty limited(although I was still pretty surprised). I want a thick,murky,sludgy,cavernous sound. The Reverb Machine, even when on the cave mode was a little too digital sounding and not really deep enough. They had a few units and a TC electronic one too but I didnt test those.
I'm willing to spend $175 on the reverb when I have all the money saved for a new round of gear(halfway there) and also plan on getting a pitch shifter/delay,reverb of course, and probably a digidelay or some pedal that I can layer a bunch of tape loops sounds and then further mess with it using the pitch shifter.

Have you looked into Alesis Quadraverb? I've had one for a couple of weeks and I'm really pleased with it. Abstract and soulful.

birthdeath

Quote from: Pax Chetyorka on February 10, 2015, 01:20:37 AM
I went to guitar center yesterday and they didnt really have a great selection of reverbs. I saw some behringer ones and tested them but they seemed pretty limited(although I was still pretty surprised). I want a thick,murky,sludgy,cavernous sound. The Reverb Machine, even when on the cave mode was a little too digital sounding and not really deep enough. They had a few units and a TC electronic one too but I didnt test those.
I'm willing to spend $175 on the reverb when I have all the money saved for a new round of gear(halfway there) and also plan on getting a pitch shifter/delay,reverb of course, and probably a digidelay or some pedal that I can layer a bunch of tape loops sounds and then further mess with it using the pitch shifter.

Have you looked into Alesis Quadraverb? I've had one for a couple of weeks and I'm really pleased with it. Abstract and soulful.

Wow,very cheap. I was looking into making a bigger investment for my reverb though(mucroverb 4 or some other unit in that range), but if this is just as good or better, I could actually get it right now . I think it'd be better to invest in something a little better than that as itll probably be one of the two or three effects I use when I upgrade my shit.

Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Mikerdeath

Although, of course there must come a point where one must differentiate between genuine inspiration and asking people to tell them what to do.

birthdeath

I've experimented for probably more than 40 hours the previous week and this week... you people were right, I've found my sound and what works for me; no more questions about that.

This thread was really just made to find anyone who knew of any common techniques or whatever for making the kind of music I want. You know, so I had some kinda jumping off point rather than remaining clueless. but,experimenting has seem to have done the trick. Now I've just gotta keep getting better

Pax Chetyorka

Quote from: birthdeath on February 10, 2015, 07:24:26 AM
Quote from: Pax Chetyorka on February 10, 2015, 01:20:37 AM

Wow,very cheap. I was looking into making a bigger investment for my reverb though(mucroverb 4 or some other unit in that range), but if this is just as good or better, I could actually get it right now . I think it'd be better to invest in something a little better than that as itll probably be one of the two or three effects I use when I upgrade my shit.

Thanks for the suggestion tho!

I wouldn't focus on the price, look for some examples and see if it's up your alley! I upgraded to something cheaper. Never felt like using EHX Cathedral for anything, and that one cost me twice as much.

There's also Eventide Space. I highly recommend it for long and heavy washes, though it may be overkill if you want something discreet.
Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNDn_74hlE

birthdeath

That other reverb is way expensive and not really the sound I was looking for. I was told by a friend that the microverb 4 could make some really dark reverbs(plays in some kinda doom-gaze band) and it s in my price range. Thank you for those suggestions tho, that was generous

I realized that delay is actually important. I'm pretty much done on mod effects (got me a colorsound flanger at a thrift store earlier for 20 bucks) considering still getting an Electric Mistress though but IDK.

The other stupid question that I really wanted to ask was: Is there a delay that can do as much or almost as much and as much and almost as good as the boss giga delay?Watching demos of that thing is driving me nuts wanting to get it though! Just imagining what kinda warped sounds I could make runnin a few tape loops through it. I'm trying to be as minimal in my set up as I can so that i save more money and can master my set up easier. Been trying to narrow it down to:a modulation effect,a reverb, and delay. Im modding my death metal and the thing just spews screeching feedback even when just plugged into itself. So im set on distortion.