ImpulsyStetoskopu

ConcreteMascara

Agreed. Thanks for posting.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Jaakko V.

A nice Chop Shop audio interview here:

http://artonair.org/show/scott-konzelmann-aka-chop-shop

"In a companion piece to our Gen Ken Montgomery interview, David Weinstein talks to artist/composer Scott Konzelmann aka Chop Shop--who created Generator Sound Art Gallery with Montgomery--about his use of scavenging, layering, decaying and delivering sound. His unique Speaker Constructions, loyalty to tape recorder technology, packaging of CDs and vinyl in lead and steel plate, definition of noise are all discussed, alongside some sample tracks from his installations and releases."

GX Jupitter-Larsen

FreakAnimalFinland

Chop Shop releases are rare to happen, and most often when they do, it's something extremely short. I have been dreaming about situation where Chop Shop would do something more in the lines of "Steel plate" 2x10", where his rusty hum would not be cut into tiny fragments that change the mood between every couple seconds, but create continuous longer piece.

And fuck, along new Banned Production releases, tape called "Grey Area". It's not some C-10 or such, but pretty damn long. Not sure exactly what, as I lose the sense of time listening this material. C-40? Could be. Or longer C-60? Nevertheless, safe to say, full album worth. And what is great, that material has no "edits". Finally long piece of ultimate wall of sound. It has the known lo-fi and raw spirit of Chop Shop. Hiss, hum, rumble. Very static, but also with things happening. While core of material is surprisingly close to even something in lines of Silence Of Vacuum (hah, sorry clumsy self promotion!), on background something is happening. While it is maybe some kind of objects dropped in bigger warehouse, what it sounds to me is pretty identical for listening lonely hockey player shooting to ice hockey ring walls.

Not sure why Chop Shop doesn't do more vinyl or CD albums, or maybe there just isn't offer for it? Banned prod has done great job for bringing intense amount of artists to make good tapes. This is most definitely one of those I'd recommend to grab!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 13, 2015, 03:09:51 PMNot sure why Chop Shop doesn't do more vinyl or CD albums, or maybe there just isn't offer for it?

Packaging? He tends to take that aspect pretty seriously.

Also, I understand that there was a natural accident which involved his home being flooded and master tapes destroyed. Might have put him off for a bit.

In any case, both the RRR "recycled" release, and "Powerdrunk" (which I'm pleased to see is now on Bandcamp) are examples of lengthier releases, and not so much cut up between seconds but letting sound blocks continue. But if this new release is more a case of let-it-flow, that would be very interesting.
Shikata ga nai.

Baglady

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on January 13, 2015, 04:04:11 PM
In any case, both the RRR "recycled" release, and "Powerdrunk" (which I'm pleased to see is now on Bandcamp) are examples of lengthier releases, and not so much cut up between seconds but letting sound blocks continue. But if this new release is more a case of let-it-flow, that would be very interesting.
The Oxide CD follows that recipe as well. Very mellow yet heavy stuff. Always been rather sceptical about the Recycled series, but maybe I should give the Chop Shop tape a chance then

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Baglady on January 13, 2015, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on January 13, 2015, 04:04:11 PM
The Oxide CD follows that recipe as well. Very mellow yet heavy stuff. Always been rather sceptical about the Recycled series, but maybe I should give the Chop Shop tape a chance then

To me Oxide is exactly the kind of "small blocks of sound" release. Although heavy and mellow, yes, but very short blocks of sound.
This tape seems like no cuts at all. While A-side has more uniform structure, what just goes on and on, b-side actually is heading forward, and while the wall of grain and hiss fades down little by little, you can hear engines, metal objects, room sound, etc. All sort of things happening what is exposed from rotten sound wall.

Packaging is normal J-card with very little information, simple graphics.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

Side two of "Powerdrunk" (" 'Emetic' Metal taste in mouth, FURNACE PLATE C1679 recorded in an empty room from a discrete distance", whatever that's meant to all mean) is pretty much no cut from start to finish, including some lengthier static sections.

Shikata ga nai.

bitewerksMTB

Has anyone heard anything about an upcoming double LP  by Chop Shop? I saw it listed as 'upcoming' on a distro site. The label listed is Crippled Intellect but his site is not up to date at all.

bogskaggmannen

Here's the info I got from Blake earlier - I have copies on the way from the US for the Millstone mailorder:

"So hello hello: technically not a ballast update, but CIP via ballast. This is a release that has been in the works since 2011, although I had been offering Scott a release for many moons prior.

I am beyond excited to announce this release, as it also represents the true end of CIP (which I shuttered in 2013 before launching ballast).

about the release:

This 2LP set (in an edition of 500 copies) presents the very first--and long unavailable--Chop Shop recordings, remastered by Scott.
LP one is a remastering and reworking of Power Pieces Positive Force from 1987, originally a 90 minute cassette released in an edition of 60 copies.
However, as 20+ minutes have been reissued as the "A Different Kind of Connie" 3" CDR, and another 30 or so minutes involved large swaths of sampling that would have raised serious copyright infringement / clearance issues, Scott decided to revisit the master tapes to create this reworking of his germinal recording.
For Chop Shop fans, this disc provides a fascinating aural journey to the big bang of the Chop Shop sound.
The second LP, Scraps, was originally released as a C-45 cassette in 1989 in an edition of 200 copies.
Scraps is, by Scott's own account, "the first truly coalesced and focused Chop Shop release," utilizing the home-built speaker constructions that cemented Chop Shop's reputation. The hallmark sounds--machine vibration, furnaces, the rattling inner echoic walls of a factory, pinging frequencies, and the magnetic tape itself--all come to life in these recordings.

The record comes in a deluxe gatefold sleeve with the record slot opening facing the interior spine (hope that's understandable) and liner notes by me and Gen Ken Montgomery."

ashraf

Anyone know of a way to read the top interview without a tumblr account?

XXX

Quote from: ashraf on February 25, 2019, 12:17:09 AM
Anyone know of a way to read the top interview without a tumblr account?

link is dead regardless

bogskaggmannen

Reposted review from the latest Vital Weekly:

CHOP SHOP - PRIMER (2LP by C.I.P.)

Scott Konzelmann's project Chop Shop is one of the most underrated music projects I know. The
reasons for it I am not entirely sure of; partly it is that there never have been a lot of releases and
also never a lot of concerts, but also misfortune in which Konzelmann lost his sound tools in a
flood. His tools include rusty speakers, ancient reel-to-reel tapes and it is some truly great noise
music. There is very little out there on a similar level. Active since the late 80s, there are not a lot
of releases; six albums (of which only 'Oxide' ever made it to these pages, Vital Weekly 625), plus
a bunch of singles including a double 10" with heavy steel plates and a 3" CD on the sadly no
longer existing label V2_Archief. The latter with a soft lead cover; another release came with
broken security glass. All of these releases are not easy to get hold off and all of these show
what Chop Shop is about and that's the physical sounds through visible sources. The covers look
like the music sounds; rusty and loud. Konzelmann created speaker installations of old speakers,
through which he sends his sounds; loops of tape or records and in general these sounds are
picked up from space, so there is an additional 'harsh' feeling about this. This is music that needs
to play at a loud volume, as you would miss out some of finer frequencies. Maybe therein lies also
one of the reasons that Chop Shop isn't that well known. It was never easy to travel with these
heavy speaker objects and besides getting lost in a flood a record is perhaps not the same as
seeing and hearing one in the rusty flesh.
    This double LP consists of Chop Shop's earliest recordings. The first LP is culled from his first
cassette, 'Primitive Power/Positive Force' from 1987. Originally this was a ninety minute cassette,
but part of it is apparently (it is one of those Chop Shop releases I never heard) has "sampling that
would have raised serious copyright infringement/clearance issues", while another part is still
available as a CDR, so the remainder is now on the first LP. Here we have Chop Shop in its
earliest incarnation and the presence of a drum machine in the opening piece is rather surprising.
On the other side, there is a piece, which is culled from looping pop music (I think) and along with
some of the heavy electronics used, it is not difficult to see Chop Shop's first release to be part of
then-burgeoning power electronic scene. Having not found his own voice yet, this is, however,
something of historical value, Chop Shop's first steps to what became his trademark sound, traces
of which can already be found in this record.
    The second LP contains the C45 cassette 'Scraps', as released by Chop Shop in an edition of
200 and which was available at Generator, Gen Ken Montgomery's store/gallery in New York,
where Chop Shop presented his pieces as installations. Montgomery is responsible for some of
the liner notes here. It's on this cassette that Chop Shop's sound fully matures into this rich junk/
scrap metal sound; the heavy amplification of what seems to be the sound of a rusty plate on a
turntable or the stretch loop of a reel-to-reel recorder. At times it seems like there is something
attached to the speaker, which adds an additional layer of rattling, which, again, adds to the literal
vibrancy of the music. The instability of machines used are not covered up, or edited out, but used
as sounds by themselves. Sometimes a quick change, a rough cut, changes the material from one
abrasive field of sound to the next. Now, there was at the time very little that was alike. There is, of
course, the lack of visuals here, the rusty constructions in metal and perhaps also the sonic
overload (depending on what you are willing to do with your volume setting at home) is something
that needs no controlling, but you get the drift.
    The release of this great record marks the end of the C.I.P., this being one of those much-wanted
re-issues and a dream now realized, which is perhaps a sad thing. However, the next imprint is
already in place, Ballast NVP, for some time now. Of course with Chop Shop's analogue approach
there is no download code, but I guess you expected that already. (FdW)
––– Address: http://ballastnvp.blogspot.com/