Transfering tape to computer?

Started by Baglady, November 16, 2014, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baglady

Couldn't find any good info on this issue here or anywhere else so...

I record live straight to tape, and I'm a complete fuckup when it comes to technology. So, how the hell do I get good transfers from the tape deck to the computer? I've tried using a cable between the phones socket on the receiver and the mic socket on the computer and pressed record in Reaper. Ended up sounding very compressed, lots of frequencies and sounds lost. Also tried hooking up the deck itself straight into the mic socket on the computer, but I got the same result.
Anyone have a clue how to do it?

Jnz

You have to use line in, not mic input. Mic input is amplified, so you get everything distorted :)
Laptops now rarely has line in socket, so you will need external (USB) sound card.

l.b.

Quote from: Jnz on November 16, 2014, 08:22:27 PM
you will need external (USB) sound card.

yeah this. i use the tascam US-100, its cheap and reasonably sturdy and has 1/4", RCA and XLR inputs

Andrew McIntosh

I've asked a similar question before, this thread may help. Basically you need some kind of interface between your source and your computer to get the best sound. A mixing device can give you extra fidelity should you care for such things.
Shikata ga nai.

bitewerksMTB

I've always used the mic input with no issues. I was too lazy to go digging for the manual & it never occurred to me to check online until reading this thread: it's the BLUE input on the back. I'll try it next time I mix from my 4-track.

Baglady

I actually managed to get some good quality rips after some adjustments, using the mic input. Turned out I could shut off the mic amplification in the mic configuration, and lower the input volume. Sounds great now! According to my younger brother I have a gaming laptop with a good sound thingy (and here I sit playing GTA 1, what a waste...), but I'll consider getting some in-between-device anyway, so thanks for the info.

Coma Detox

Behringer UCA-202.

Can't get much easier than this.  The headphone jack recently broke on mine after a few years so I had to buy another one but at $30 it's pretty cheap. Can't vouch for anything else Behringer related but this has always done the trick.

F_c_O

Quote from: Coma Detox on November 18, 2014, 07:10:39 PM
Behringer UCA-202.

Can't get much easier than this.  The headphone jack recently broke on mine after a few years so I had to buy another one but at $30 it's pretty cheap. Can't vouch for anything else Behringer related but this has always done the trick.
This. Just connect the usb to computer and the line in to tape deck. Also, way better than any internal soundcard ive had and is cheap, as already stated. You really cant lose by buying this.

Baglady

Seems ideal for me really. Thanks alot for the tip! Available in several stores in my town too.

Cementimental

I used one of those in the past too, they work fine, recommended. :)

cantle

Good thread it was something I was going to ask myself but was too lazy... there is always tomorrow.... now I can transfer an old interview from Dictaphone tape.... cheers.

redvenicerecords

tape to usb into audacity usually does the trick for me.