Vocal effects and manipulations…?

Started by D. Davis, November 09, 2014, 01:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calaverasgrande

I came up with a fun little chain a while back.
EHX Iron Lung vocoder
Big Briar Low Pass
Boss Super Shifter
I run the mic into the iron lung, out to low pass, then to the shifter, then back through the Iron Lung as the carrier of itself.
If the low pass filter wasn't in there this would not work. It would feedback like crazy and probably sound pretty neat before your tweeters exploded. But with just the right settings on the filter it is almost intelligible speech.
I sometimes dial back the crazy on the Iron Lung and the Pitch Shifter so that it is more like human speech. Or take the filter and vocoder out entirely but leave the pitch shift on.

I've done similar set ups with the EHX ring modulator (Full size 'Frequency analyzer'), or the Moog one replacing the Iron Lung.

Basically my goal is a squawking midrange which approximates a vocal but conveys no information. Except when I want actual words to be understood, then I fall back on pitch shifty stuff.

A.R.GH

I don't know if it best to start a new topic for this question or should I just ask it here, ok but here it goes.
Does anyone does some warm up exercises or anything special? do you just scream your lungs out until your throat sores or does anyone  tries to do it the "correct" way?

4CRSAC

Quote from: Peterson on June 05, 2016, 06:45:19 AM
Anyone ever try doubling a vocal track Frank Zappa-style, to strengthen it?
I've done that before, but to get the Today-is-the-Day vocal warble sound. That's all I got.

Peterson

Quote from: A.R.GH on November 28, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
I don't know if it best to start a new topic for this question or should I just ask it here, ok but here it goes.
Does anyone does some warm up exercises or anything special? do you just scream your lungs out until your throat sores or does anyone  tries to do it the "correct" way?

I'm sure there are some people that just scream and yell, but I do warm-ups and practice actual singing and vocalizations so I can do the rough stuff without hurting myself. If you're going to yell off and on for several hours recording vocals, I approach it in a way as not to get a migraine, lose your ability to speak for a few days, or burst blood vessels.

Don't drink alcohol while recording them, and consider cutting back/quitting if you smoke.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Peterson on November 30, 2016, 06:16:13 PM

I'm sure there are some people that just scream and yell, but I do warm-ups and practice actual singing and vocalizations so I can do the rough stuff without hurting myself. If you're going to yell off and on for several hours recording vocals, I approach it in a way as not to get a migraine, lose your ability to speak for a few days, or burst blood vessels.

Don't drink alcohol while recording them, and consider cutting back/quitting if you smoke.
[/quote]

same here.
warm up before intense recording session.

another thing I do is never record more than 30 minutes at the time. which is approximately good for 6 tracks. If I have to do more I just do two sessions.

training is important for vocals. when I have to record "big projects" I always have a couple of pre-traning.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

A.R.GH

Good posts.
I've found some exercises and techniques taught by this lady who trains guys in metal/hardcore bands, quite useful https://youtu.be/kkLMcU2D-Ig
false-chord screaming and all that.
only recently I started thinking and researching about the importance of this, since I'm actually recording and rehearsing material with much more vocals.

Quote from: Peterson on December 01, 2016, 05:13:30 PM
I'll add that nothing ever came out the way I'd intended when recording, prior to getting a graphic equalizer - adjust the frequency bands to the highs, mids, or lows you want to boost, and this will make your life a lot easier.
yes, absolutely, I'm learning what frequencies to cut and boost to make my voice sound closer to what I want