PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT

Mika Taanila - "The Cleaning Tape"

Sounds on this tape are told to be extracted from weekly cleaning at home. Sources are probably mostly from vacuuming treated electronicslly afterwards. And sure sounds like it, ambientish tape with a hurring and whirring sound dominating the soundscape. Occasional rumbles here and there. Last track on the tape has most variation, making it the most interesting track on the tape. At times the tracks gets almost noisy textures. Definately a curiosity!

Aprapat - "Reef Crasher" tape

Probably the wildest Aprapat release to date I have heard. Merciless metal junk fest with the trademark ripping sound,  precision and intent. There's nice layers of room sound metal clatter and in your face screaming metals. Some parts are coming from seprate speaker, creating a rich mix of total noise madness! B-side gets a bit more easygoing, quieter parts that abruptly might explode into noise, and sometimes they continue with other minimal sounds. One song had an odd sound that I can't tell if it's warped flute playing or what, since the tape is called Reef Crasher, I keep thinking of pan flutes of Polynesia, go figure. Yet another excellent tape from Aprapat, not a surprise though.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: cr on June 05, 2022, 05:58:35 PM
Can those Finnish tapes be bought somewhere?

I'll have Haudat on list tomorrow and Kylmäkovamaa tapes are on the way right now.. Liminal... tapes are on list.
Other couple is not available at the moment.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

AlexDenial

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 04, 2022, 08:53:11 AM
Molester "Rostov-On-Donu" CDR
maybe one of his very first ones? Live show from 2008 on pro-CDR, but privately distributed. Some of his works is leaning more to "power electronics" - perhaps most of all due the themes. This one, surely it can be filed under vile and disapproved interests, but musically pretty straight forward live harsh electronics. I remember meeting him in one of Japanese gigs, and man gave me bunch of items and some magazine as gift. Decade later, still appreciated!

I think now there could be good time for some label to try to do anthology of forgotten years of Japanese noise. Just to see if it would be appreciated like the oldies always get attention no matter if wouldn't be absolute best.

Molester was an amazing project. There were plans to release a Molester / Climax Denial split many years ago, but the plans fell apart due to health reasons. I should try to contact him to see if he has been working on anything in the last decade...

FreakAnimalFinland

As far as I know, he is not active anymore. I asked some Japanese friends about it. There is intention to try get some new and less know Japanese artists featured in SI future issues.

Idler / Hattifnattar split tape
Satatuhatta
Two side projects, from Mot and Violent Shogun. I didn't write any comments anywhere about Absurd Exposition release of those two projects. It was simply brilliant, and listened multiple times. This newer one, same guys on split, both with new name, new side project, more stripped down, perhaps more raw, more relying on absolute core of expression. You'll be not buried under dense layers, but very in-your-face simple noise. 
Simple, in context of being less layered, more direct and easy to hear all that is going on. Complex, in a sense that there is like zero moments of "one finger on button" type of noise. It's all about constant modulation, constant changes. Even if there would be fairly traditional methods like tape rewinding, feedback loops and such, it is all the time hands-on-approach. Controlling and shifting sound to something what it wasn't few seconds ago. Good tape!

absurdexposition

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 29, 2022, 08:34:29 AM
Idler / Hattifnattar split tape
Satatuhatta
Two side projects, from Mot and Violent Shogun. I didn't write any comments anywhere about Absurd Exposition release of those two projects. It was simply brilliant, and listened multiple times. This newer one, same guys on split, both with new name, new side project, more stripped down, perhaps more raw, more relying on absolute core of expression. You'll be not buried under dense layers, but very in-your-face simple noise. 
Simple, in context of being less layered, more direct and easy to hear all that is going on. Complex, in a sense that there is like zero moments of "one finger on button" type of noise. It's all about constant modulation, constant changes. Even if there would be fairly traditional methods like tape rewinding, feedback loops and such, it is all the time hands-on-approach. Controlling and shifting sound to something what it wasn't few seconds ago. Good tape!

Been enjoying this one since its arrival. Mot and VS are already raw, but these projects are raw with more volume and energy. Good tape!
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

MT

Kakerlak - "Reproductive Activity Rhythms" tape

Been while, years, since I've spun this. Highly enjoyable harsh noise with plenty of texture and variation to keep listener active. Both sides have ideal lenght, around 12 mins. Also thanks to Self Abuse for dubbing this tape LOUD. I don't know is it the new tape deck and stereo amp I got but it has made me realise how many noise tapes are dubbed like garbage, so low volumes that the indicator on the tape deck barely indicates anything. But anyway, solid harsh noise tape by Kakerlak!

Intolitarian - "Modernity Resistance" CD

Perfect madness for this horryfying heat wave. Previous Intolitarian releases have been kinda "ok/its alright" type material. But this new CD is very different. More organic production and that drum sound is just perfect for my ears. Add the shrieking commands of Kramer and it's a home run. Recommended if Intolitarian has been missing "that something" previously.

MHK

Aprapat - Hot Lava Shampoo CD (White Centipede Noise)
Dressing - Dressing CD (Krim Kram)
Jeph Jerman - Arcane Facture CD (White Centipede Noise)
Mogao - Finger Pointing to the Moon CD (Satatuhatta)

I realize I sound stupid when I try to describe things, so I won't do it. I'll just say that all these are brilliant. I especially hope that the Dressing CD won't go unnoticed.

FreakAnimalFinland

ORDO EQUILIBRIO "reaping the fallen" CD
Cold Meat
There was this topic of BDN and related with heart warming story of man visiting CMI headquarters etc. so picked this from shelves, once again! It is by far, my most ever listened CMI title, and for me one of the most remarkable CD's of the genre. What genre? Well, I would file this into dekadent version of what C93 may have been in early stages. Its half pitch black dark industrial soundscapes, noisy suffocating loops, and such. Half erotic neo-folk sounds. But this CD is so good in not yet being establishing style. 2nd album kind of made band what it was to be know, and this debut goes all over the place, far more abstract and experimental.

I don't think I ever -really- talked to mr. Karmanik. Of course our paths have crossed many times. I think first time we met at first IRM finnish live, he ran to me and took photo and said "some people want to see what you look like". Damn! This was like 20 years ago? I don't think anything else was discussed.
Far more recent case was when bunch of finns were at Tower Transmissions and BDN played good set there. On the day when we were leaving, we had huge amount of beer left, and very little time to get into airport. We considered, should we drop all out excess beer at Karmanik and Lina room... or not. People who know relationship of Swedes and Finns may know there is problematic element in this, and it seemed way way better idea to drink all beer instead of giving it to someone else. "You're going to drink bag of beer on taxi, on the way to airport?" "... well, yes!"
Eventually, it was just matter of minutes, so as hard as I tried, we were at the cue to check in, and had to throw several bottles of beer into trashbin. It is very hard to measure, which would have been more traumatizing. Throw away perfectly good german beers, or surrender and give them to swedes? I do assume Karmanik and Lina did not have shortage, so no big harm done...

Emil, Haare CDR's:

Many times said, while in "internet", there is a lot of things, but very often I can't somehow get into mood. Browse something? Where? Youtube? Bandcamp? By what standard you use? Just click whatever? Perhaps label or random item of artist? When not accessing physical collection, when and how you would decide suddenly... just pick up "A Punch in the face" CDR by Emil Beaulieau and Church of self-obliteration CDR by Haare? They would never occur in your mind as options to be on playlist, unless you touch the item and decide, this is IT. Of course one can argue that you'd just listen something else. Indeed, but this type of process of listening lead me into them and being surprised how good both of them are.

And while I often tell, I decided to get rid of most of CDR, some stuff is here.. countless items, that have limited time to exist uncorrupted. Emil CD, I would guess not so many have it, and it is great! Haare CDR, unless I am mistaken, it is the 2nd release band did, about 20 years ago, and it is damn good harsh and fierce noise. While the "Human" CDR was ok, but not phenomenal, and the 2004 "Temple" was debut pressed CD on FA, this one CDR between the two, if someone did reissue of it now, and people would listen to it, I would be surprised if they thought it wan't good. Not only good, but great, actually. It could satisfy both, the noise heads and even guys who are into old school PE kind of things. Early days Consumer Electronics etc.
Both are worth picking up if you ever get the change. At least my CDR's work just fine still after all these years.

Ashmonger

Quote from: MT on June 29, 2022, 09:09:41 PM

Perfect madness for this horryfying heat wave. Previous Intolitarian releases have been kinda "ok/its alright" type material. But this new CD is very different. More organic production and that drum sound is just perfect for my ears. Add the shrieking commands of Kramer and it's a home run. Recommended if Intolitarian has been missing "that something" previously.
Unexpected, I like Deathangle Absolution more than this. Good in itself, but I miss the sharp and almost painful guitarsounds, since it's all rumble on this album.

Poison Vol IV compilation (3CD, New Approach Records): Good compilation with a lot of names I was already familiar with and some I wasn't familiar with. Good mix of Power Electronics and some Harsh Noise. Neat packaging too, as was to be expected from this series, former volumes (on tape) always came with a nice packaging as well. I do have to say that the amount of interesting compilations coming out in PE/HN is a bit much at times though, the The First Cut (999 Cuts label) 2 CD looks good too and then I just saw Cipher Productions will soon release a shorter compilation with again some interesting projects. And all of these happened in the last couple of months. Most or all projects offer exclusive tracks on these compilations.

Cervical Smear - Bone Marrow (CD, Abgrund) with another special package. Postcard with titles and a kind of cardboard frame with a piece of human bone are in this package. Well made. The music is good, at first I, however, thought "ok, this sounds very familiar, Cervical Smear should try to incorporate some new elements" and that's what he did in following tracks. One of the tracks has the oscillating synths that remind me of Genocide Organ, which works very well in combination with the rough and rowdy CS sounds. Last track has part effected spoken vocals, so again a good new element to this project.

ritualabuser

Quote from: MT on June 29, 2022, 09:09:41 PM
Kakerlak - "Reproductive Activity Rhythms" tape

Been while, years, since I've spun this. Highly enjoyable harsh noise with plenty of texture and variation to keep listener active. Both sides have ideal lenght, around 12 mins. Also thanks to Self Abuse for dubbing this tape LOUD. I don't know is it the new tape deck and stereo amp I got but it has made me realise how many noise tapes are dubbed like garbage, so low volumes that the indicator on the tape deck barely indicates anything. But anyway, solid harsh noise tape by Kakerlak!

Very much agreed about the Intolitarian. A big step up from the previous album, which I liked, but the streamlined presentation (read: no spoken word breaks) of this one benefits their sound immensely.

FreakAnimalFinland

as far as I know, previous album will be reissued soonish without the spoken word stuff. Spoken bits were homage to GG Allin album with Antiseen, and after that 1st press, future pressings without spoken pieces. I recall it was going to come out on american label.

ritualabuser

Interesting info, might have to look into this edited version. When comes the remix of the spoken word parts from the album into something like GG's "War In My Head"? More related to the forum, did Shrinkwrap exist outside of that collaboration in any significant way?

NerveGas

Psychward/Ploughshare – Neglect Corner CS

First exposure to either act. Seen both names around many times, but can't always check out everything right away. Ploughshare side begins with strangely weak, broken, malfunctioning sounds. I believe Oskar has thrown around similar terms in some of the WCN TV content and I would say this fits in. Cable buzz. An over all sickly and plodding lo-fi feel. Slowly builds in to more rumbling crunch and scraping metal junk sounds. The junk is not incredibly punishing or distorted. Plenty of open space. Sounds wrong in the right way.

Psychward starts off with screeching industrial noise repetition. Builds into a buzzing cacophony of stuttering crunch. Possesses some of the malfunctioning feel of gear being treated and utilized inappropriately that the other side has, but slightly more full and ripping. Not better by any means, just different. Some eerie loops thrown in the mix later on this side.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 08, 2022, 09:35:40 AM
as far as I know, previous album will be reissued soonish without the spoken word stuff. Spoken bits were homage to GG Allin album with Antiseen, and after that 1st press, future pressings without spoken pieces. I recall it was going to come out on american label.

That is good news, I might actually purchase a copy now.  I can really appreciate what he was trying to do with the spoken word, but it just did not feel well-executed to me.

Yrjö-Koskinen

SEWAGE/SEWER ELECTION - From lilla Paris to Björngatan in Full Moon
I keep returning to this CDR once every couple of years. It's not one of Sewer Election's more famous releases (I think), but people should give it more love. Their half of the split is just one, long track. White noise, harsh noise, noise-noise. There's some kind of music in there, and it sounds very much like Joy Division, but I have no idea. The track is solid, that's the point. Developing and unfolding in unexpected directions. Unfortunately my CD walkman keeps jamming up every now and then during this track, which might be because I used to have this in my car as I drove to and fro work in another life. Sewage is also great, it's crap that he didn't continue. Really over-the-top, cut to pieces Japanese japanoise from Japan. Titles like "When I open the window" and "S Force Demo". A few completely incongruous drum hits - a snare, a hi-hat, a brief beat. Then more noise insanity. The front cover is pink with a nude woman holding the moon, and the Eiffel Tower is featured on several places outside and inside the typical L-white A5 cover. It's like a sweeter, less offensive Freak Animal cover, if that makes any sense. In the words of Big Mack Deluxe: This is fucking awesome.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea