PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

host body

Quote from: pentd on February 14, 2022, 10:40:34 PM
o damn, i have no clue what samples are sayin, although i imagine it... language barrier 100%. but i think it just adds to the current tragicomedy thats goin on

I think it's interesting, sure. It's not preachy or corny like most covid sceptic music, just noise with a somewhat controversial (is it even controversial?) message. There's plenty of people who actually believe that shit, so why wouldn't there be someone making noise with that theme? Given how many weirdos there are in noise, I'm surprised he's the only one I've come across.

And to everyone wondering, it's very much about antivaxx / covid scepticism. Artist himself said as much when he posted the release on an FB group and some people demanded it be removed, hah. Cue 500 posts of fighting about it.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: host body on February 18, 2022, 09:03:37 AM
And to everyone wondering, it's very much about antivaxx / covid scepticism. Artist himself said as much when he posted the release on an FB group and some people demanded it be removed, hah. Cue 500 posts of fighting about it.

I suppose the 500 message was slightly different topic? More about if bands, artists and releases connected to "questionable values" can be accepted in that FB group of Finnish experimental music. It seemed less about YKSI, more about if anything published by Freak Animal can be allowed to be promoted or discussed? I am not member there, nor I see any point joining yet another group where 1000 people are plagued by apathy and self promotion. Lazy bandcamp links, zero reactions, discussion happening utterly rarely. It is of course flattering, yet I find it odd if hundreds and hundreds of people have nothing to discuss, unless yours truly is mentioned?

I have often used SI forum as example, how it requires almost zero moderation. People can behave, people can produce material that is interesting, reviews, discussions, recommendations and so on. Almost everywhere else, you'll see all sorts of bickering. When seeing someone criticize this forum for being some brutes discussing about stuff they like, you often tend to find people who are always the instigators of drama on other platforms, hehe...

For me, theme of YKSI release is not very appealing because it is so "today". But I can see dozens of interesting questions what it could provoke, that can get interesting. Lets say, often seen notion that covid skeptics should not get treated because they cause the problem. That government control is absolutely needed and wanted, for sake of upstanding citizen, these lowlives should be removed from public life etc. One could replace the covid sceptic with word junkies or perhaps even a bit more touchy group, and see if theme of release is suddenly a bit more interesting for anyone to ponder how one would approach mentioned things. For sake of well-being of nations, I guess slightly more advanced eugenics program may find surprisingly large support at some point? If one noise cdr ltd 20 copies could turn Finnish experimental music social media group into "chaos", it tells a lot about resilience to "information".

But well, its partially off topic:

Playing now MERZBOW "Hybrid Noisebloom" 2xLP. Brilliant, more fuller wooooossh of harsh noise bubble bath with tons of electric bubbles tickling your ears. If you never had the CD, like myself, this vinyl reissue is absolutely great!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

impulse manslaughter

Ordered the David Gilden - Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend CD reissue from SAP in Sweden and it arrived pretty fast. Very happy to add this classic to my collection. Just listened to it in my car. Don't know if it was remastered for this cd and can't compare it to the original tape version but the sound on this is really good. Could've used a bit more bass but that's maybe because of my cheap speakers in my car. Takes a few minutes before it get's going but then it's just a total noise storm. Nice mix of frequencies and technics. Sometimes crude and primitive, sometimes brutal (esp. when the vocals kick in on the first track) and nice sampling on the 2nd track. I like how the different pieces are mixed together into 2 long tracks. Has enough diversity and a nice flow throughout the whole album.

Zeno Marx

Tourette - Proximité du Murmure 2016
Tourette - Jardin du sommeil 2013

I've been sleeping. I'm 99.5% sure Tourette is new to me.  It's a good thing to find great rewards like this that were missed. The variation, dynamics, skills and craftsmanship, and production levels remind me Christian Renou/Brume.  Electro-acoustic sensibilities through the hybrid lens of Dave Phillips and a crunchy Merzbow.  Right up my alley.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

impulse manslaughter

Yes, saw Tourette live once and he blew me away. Been following his output since and he always delivers. Échancré from last year was my favoriet noise album from 2021.

Euro Trash Bazooka

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Baglady

THE NEW BOYFRIENDS - The Fourth Season CD (White Centipede Noise, 2021)
The past two years I've been missing out on alot of stuff, but I've still kept an eye on all the newer names floating around. Given the praise for the Finnish TNB, I've naturally been curious, so when the ever reliable WCN released this disc last year I finally opened my wallet. As I haven't heard any of the three cassettes and couldn't remember what any reviews said, I had no expectations. Yikes! Turns out the band nane tribute is there for a reason. It reeks to far off lands of early The Blockaders, the debut and their Live At Morden Tower in particular. The air and detail of Changez..., and the spiky dangerous volume of the live album. But the overall expression of The Boyfriends is different. A merrier bare-chested joy-of-noise attitude rather than fin de siecle nihilism (although an outsider could claim this Cosmo-Kramer-on-roller-skates-at-K-Rauta type of noise is a nihilistic recreation in a way). The Boyfriends haven't set out to overthrow culture (I think...), and seem to draw more energy from tractor pulling than futurism. Add to that the unruly electric currents, courtesy of Mr Mogao (just guessing here), swimming about in the acoustic havoc, plus all the spontaneous joyous shouts and howls, and you have something closer to a Finnish Incapacitants, with a recipe of their own. Made my day, this album, and I curse myself for missing out on those three cassettes!

V.T.R

Glad to hear you liked it!

Quote from: Baglady on February 21, 2022, 01:52:00 AM
... Add to that the unruly electric currents, courtesy of Mr Mogao (just guessing here), swimming about in the acoustic havoc...

Guessed right :) All the acoustic racket is made live by us two and the pedal noises were added later in the same evening.

MT

That is one excellent review! And I am sure the album lives up to it 100%, anxiously waiting for mine!

Lettera 22 - "True Form" LP

While relocating my noise etc vinyls I took this in my hands and had no recollection of its contents. Decomposed, yet has finesse. Later a-side developes into harsher noise, pulsating synth sounds. B-side starts with a lot harsher material, then goes back to tape loops, tingy metal scraping, back n forth swoowing sounds. Tasty deep tones undernearth the rubble, transfering to screechy and nicely painful metal scraping. Very good LP, will give it a lot more spins from now on!

host body

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 18, 2022, 11:45:22 AM
I suppose the 500 message was slightly different topic? More about if bands, artists and releases connected to "questionable values" can be accepted in that FB group of Finnish experimental music. It seemed less about YKSI, more about if anything published by Freak Animal can be allowed to be promoted or discussed? I am not member there, nor I see any point joining yet another group where 1000 people are plagued by apathy and self promotion. Lazy bandcamp links, zero reactions, discussion happening utterly rarely. It is of course flattering, yet I find it odd if hundreds and hundreds of people have nothing to discuss, unless yours truly is mentioned?

You're right, it started as an offshoot of this discussion (which I think was absurd for an experimental group to shut out experimental music based on supposed political beliefs of the artists. Are we only allowed to experiment on concepts or ideas that are safe or nice? Or are only people with safe and nice views allowed to make experimental music? And listening to what's mostly posted there, it falls really short of the quality of every single FA release), but quickly got it's own thread which did get many comments. 500 was an exaggaration, we're talking dozens of comments. It all concluded in a few unwarranted bans and removing of said artist from the moderating team, but no ban on corona sceptic noise, hah. All good fun to watch, I guess if you like to watch grown ups behave like little children.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 18, 2022, 11:45:22 AM
For me, theme of YKSI release is not very appealing because it is so "today". But I can see dozens of interesting questions what it could provoke, that can get interesting. Lets say, often seen notion that covid skeptics should not get treated because they cause the problem. That government control is absolutely needed and wanted, for sake of upstanding citizen, these lowlives should be removed from public life etc. One could replace the covid sceptic with word junkies or perhaps even a bit more touchy group, and see if theme of release is suddenly a bit more interesting for anyone to ponder how one would approach mentioned things. For sake of well-being of nations, I guess slightly more advanced eugenics program may find surprisingly large support at some point? If one noise cdr ltd 20 copies could turn Finnish experimental music social media group into "chaos", it tells a lot about resilience to "information".

I find it tiresome because it's been everywhere for the past few years, but also quite intriguing as a concept. Much like cults that have been a basic concept for noise this whole corona scepticism as well as maga-shit are both so far removed from reality that they should provide plenty of inspirational material for years to come. And I hope for some truly full blown, odd shit, not just tiresome racism or kind of timid insinuation of a NWO or a jewish conspiracy.

no_baizuo_allowed

Koufar - The Death of Myself (New Forces)
Really glad this one got reissued at all. 3 pieces, one turns out to be under a minute in length: but the tone of this release is so vitriolic and passionate, and this is one I particularly like for the way the feedback interacts with the sampled pieces (kudos to the artist and label for preserving all of that white noise/tape hiss btw). Rather than overpowering the placement of the samples, it creates a singular dirge-like atmosphere approaching a personality cult of the fallen leader of Lebanon. More useless commentary: I prefer listening to only the first 3 tracks on the CD as per the original C20 form; I don't like to get them mixed up with later tracks although I can see the usefulness of adding bonus tracks to a CD re-issue of something. Reissue of an early work was a great idea in light of his magnum opus 'Middle Eastern Promises'. I am really hoping for 'Beirut Rising' to be excavated someday (would love to hear 'Refugee Camp Extermination'). Koufar is a force to be reckoned with in modern P.E. - and I'm slowly starting to realize the importance of his work.
⚠️不允许白左⚠️ https://novichoklabel.blogspot.com/

moozz

Masonna - Ejaculation Generater
Masonna - Freak-Out Electrolyze
Masonna - Frequency L.S.D.

In my opinion most Masonna material is some of the best harsh noise ever recorded, this is just timeless stuff. Is there anyone who makes (or made) noise like Masonna used to? I haven't come across anyone. His latest one (the split with himself, Masonna/Controlled Death split) did NOT sound like he used to, it sounded weak, uninspired and totally different. But these older ones, sheer intensity, superb vocal cut-ups and noise blasts. With these you instantly know it is Masonna. Ejaculation Generater (1996) feels more jumpy than the material before it and by the time of Frequency L.S.D. (1998) some psychedelic(?) elements started to creep in. What a great period that was.

PTM Jim

Quote from: no_baizuo_allowed on February 22, 2022, 09:53:21 AM
I am really hoping for 'Beirut Rising' to be excavated someday (would love to hear 'Refugee Camp Extermination').
I can almost guarantee this will never see a reissue. And it honestly doesn't really need it. He is far better now than that and kind of no need to dwell on the past.

MT

Atrax Morgue - "Sickness Report" CD
It's funny how simple this is, but how damn good it sounds. One could dismiss it as album that sounds like someone just trying out synth sounds, but to me it's just a fantastic record. Sounds fit the mood perfectly, of a morgue with reek of death and rotting flesh. Minimal soundscape, maximum effect. I don't know if any of the tracks have anything else besides one synth track and some vocals?

Mania - "Raw Nerves & Unseen Eyes" CD
Last full lenght of Mania I think? Mania was always slowly evolving, crafting the sound towards something we never will hear. But if it ended here, one can highly appreciate it. Almost subtle in tone, moments of fury, here and there. Most memorable parts are the last half. A track with field recs, going through rubble and scrap metal. Thuds of wood thrown on sand? Dragging things, rattling objects, wind whirring. I really enjoyed that piece. Kind of supported the image that have of him, living in desert among reptile carcasses and firearms. Recording in an old shed. Might be far from truth but that's the vibe I get. I couldn't pick up a certain favorite from the discography, but this certainly belongs to the arsenal of solid releases that don't leave much to desire for. It's all there.

Masonna - "Masonna Vs. Bananarama" LP
Hyperventilating chaos of 80's Masonna. Fucking great blast with intense high pitched screaming and squealing. It's the Masonna deal, you know it. B-side ends with a track consisting of revving a car and honking the fuck out of the car horn, hilarious, unexpected and high energy track! This, with Living Room live and Noskl in Ana, all Masonna I need for now.

urall

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on February 19, 2022, 03:54:58 PM
Yes, saw Tourette live once and he blew me away. Been following his output since and he always delivers. Échancré from last year was my favoriet noise album from 2021.

Played with him a couple of years ago, dude was phenomenal and extremely humble too.