PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on January 24, 2022, 09:35:30 PM
Eliane Radigue - Opus 17 2CD; minimal feedback works from 1970. I have 1 other Radigue cd and rarely listen to it because it's too subtle/minimal for my taste. Decided to give this one a try and it's indeed much better. These pieces creating a nice claustrophobic, nihilistic atmosphere. Reminded me a bit of William Basinski or closer to home; Kevin Drumm ‎– Imperial Distortion. Nice discovery.

I got this last week and have to say I have yet to warm to it after a couple listens, but I'm not giving up. I used to have a couple of Radigue's feedback works and I ended up selling them because I also found them too minimal (as in there was too little change in them for my taste; it seemed like almost nothing was happening throughout the CDs). Her Œuvres Électroniques 14CD box, however, is a completely different story: after some hesitation I bought it last year after hearing some very promising sound samples, and am I glad I did! It contains works she made after switching from feedback to an analogue synthesiser and they are a lot more interesting in my opinion. One of her works dealing with Tibetan Buddhism includes a part that sounds like demons from hell (but not in a black metal way), no doubt an allusion to the many demons in Tibetan Buddhism. It's definitely one of the highlights of a fantastic box set.

Zeno Marx

along with the previous getting back to basics...

Walter Marchetti – De Musica Inversa 4CD 2010 - has all the highly recommended and more - "Per La Sete Dell'Orecchio" is a fine piece of rock dropping and water kehr-ploops and kehr-plunks - quite the collection of greatness - this seems like the collection to get if you want just one Marchetti in your library.

Iannis Xenakis - Edition RZ 2CD 2003 - focus on CD2 - "Persepolis" 1971; psychedelic, industrial noise with a menacing monster's appetite in the hold of an old wooden ship; Astro, CCCC, TNB, Hal Hutchinson, NwW's Salt Marie Celeste with The Terror - the final track, "Polytope de Cluny" 1972, is of the same industrial spirit, but with wind and glass-like, organic sounds and waves of rolling sand crashing on a redefined shore.  I'm a little confused if there are other "Persepolis" recordings or if they're using the same one on various releases and remixing and/or remastering it.  You'll find it timed at anywhere from 50 minutes to 60+ minutes.  Such an amazing piece of industrial work and from 1971.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 26, 2022, 09:37:15 PM
"Per La Sete Dell'Orecchio" is a fine piece of rock dropping and water kehr-ploops and kehr-plunks

This is the B-side of his 3rd LP. Played it yesterday actually. It's nice but I especially like the other side of this one. I also have the La Caccia LP w/ just field recordings of animals and am still looking for the 2nd LP.

I remember Ulex Xane mentioned Marchetti once as a major influence, which I found surprising.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on January 26, 2022, 11:30:12 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 26, 2022, 09:37:15 PM
"Per La Sete Dell'Orecchio" is a fine piece of rock dropping and water kehr-ploops and kehr-plunks

This is the B-side of his 3rd LP. Played it yesterday actually. It's nice but I especially like the other side of this one. I also have the La Caccia LP w/ just field recordings of animals and am still looking for the 2nd LP.

I remember Ulex Xane mentioned Marchetti once as a major influence, which I found surprising.
Back when, Anomalous unearthed a box of these original press LPs, selling them for $4.99 or $6.99.  Also when you weren't likely to find anything from him if not for such an unearthing.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Verkhaner

Pain Jerk - Trashware CD
Pure
Classic Japanese goodness. Had this lying around for some time and it's probably the first time I have heard this in years. Instant win for this one. Especially like that hard crunch that is always underlying.

Snuff - III CD
Filth and Violence
For me, early Snuff is pretty much perfect PE. When III came, I was a bit underwhelmed by the lack of feedback, but this is growing on me more and more. Great dark and menacing brooding sounds, way more experimental than the classic Feedback ripping, but really works.

Lazrs3

Astro - Far in The DistanceAbhorrent Creation Tapes – 2021

Astro is a Japanese project that was started in 1993 by Hiroshi Hasegawa of CCCC. Since 2013, Astro has been a duo with Hiroko Hasegawa – I am usure if both artists are related. Releases date back to 1994, starting with Moog Resuscitation on Ant-Zen in 1994. Astro has also released on Phage Tapes, RRR, Trashfuck, Important and Fusty Cunt amongst many labels – this latest release is on French label Abhorrent Creation Tapes.

Cluster Amaryllis starts off with field recordings that drip and echo to build an image of an empty wet space – this creates the canvas which the work can play out onto. The rise of intensity comes through the increase in the water pouring and gradual introduction of glitching sounds that spark off each other until a thicker ambient atmosphere arises. There is an increase in the amount of noise used, these creak, roll and gradually fill up the sound creating a playoff of noises that is backed by continuous, foreboding drones.  The density of the sound increases as the number of noises grows. Things become blurred as chaos gradually sets in, individual noises take turns to take prominence in the picture that is formed. I like how the ambient drones from the start of the work eventually shine through the chaos as a smaller palette of noise shoots across the scene. The work intensifies and begins to die off several times towards the latter part of the track, the final die off allows the drones to cut through and dominate the chaos and lead it towards an end.

Subtle conversations of small noises are the start of Rebel Moon and Emotional Resolution, which allows a longer passage of minimal, quieter noises to fire off each other. The conversational aspect is emphasized by some of the noises sounding like voices or vocal based noise throughout the track. There is a good 5 minutes of this before a measured build up starts, bigger drones and blasting distortion build a sound that has thicker lines of noise going through it than before. Sharper sounds cut across this to build distinct layers. At different points there is a warped feel to Rebel Moon that arcs across the track, this is coupled with a clearer sense of violence that erupts into the picture. Digital blasts emerge as the chaos increases, until it peters out.

The sound on this release is made by overlaying a range of noises in small and big, busy combinations. Astro does this by allowing the work to start or reduce to passages of quieter interaction for things to then get louder and for chaos to erupt which is then controlled and manipulated. I was impressed by the mastery of the sounds made to move things along and ensure that they shift continuously. Far in the Distance is two passages of sonic communication erupting into violence, both fights move differently yet meet similar ends. This is a demonstration of good, layered chaos.

MT

Sakset - "Salaisuuksien Puutarha" LP
Elektro project of members of Circle and Terveet Kädet. Highly enjoyable disco'ish electro with a really strong 80s vibe, nearly Commandore 64 type sounds. Accompanied by trademarks ughs and öghs of Läjä Äijälä. Very enjoyable album with the odd pairing of sweet retro sound and nearly spoken poetry like vocals of Läjä.

STROM.ec - "Dogs of Total Order" LP
What can be said about an album that everything has been said about? A milestone album in Finnish industrial, brooding and intense soundscape, broken by militaristic rhythm parts and trademark vocals of T. Myöhänen. It's like being a part of Finnish military during war times, harsh coldness stiffening your muscles, eventually going to your bones. But Victory is a Question of Stamina, as the slogan goes. Essential release just like Genocide Organ's "Mind Control" or any Con-Dom release.

Sektion B - "Power is Nothing Without Control" LP
Always overlooked Sektion B, live LP. I am a sucker a for Sektion B's style. Simple yet effective synth backgrounds, and the duo vocal work is what makes this for me. One voice preaching the sermons, and the other more powerful voice supporting with screaming the main slogans. Perfect formula for my power electronics needs. Themes are also, one might say "classic" but they are right down my alley. This live LP is kind of their first full lenght I believe? After a murky opener track the album really starts with full force. Looming death synth on "Hate" at the end of side A is fucking perfect. And side B starts where A left off, tasty synth with just the right amount of edge and distortion, waving around. I never got to see Sektion B live, but I'd take a guess they were pretty damn solid live act.

HateSermon

Cryocene - "Exclave"

New collaborative project between Stefan Aune (Kjostad) and Matt Boettke (Scant). This was a blind buy for me as both collaborators continuously produce strong work and are titans of US noise. It was also strange that no one that I knew was talking about this release - I couldn't find any buzz around it, which made me even more curious.
I was not disappointed! Each track is a pensive soundscape of deep droning synths and strategically planned junk/metal noise loops placed over top. Sometimes a harsh avalanche and sometimes strangely meditative, slipping into the void. Mastered by Grant Richardson so you know that the sound quality is top notch. I do hope there's more where this came from. Favorite track: Forge of Ashes. CD is available at New Forces, Cloister, and I'm sure a few others.

Baglady

UMPIO - Trankilo MCD (Freak Animal, 2017)
Together with Molesterol and last years' Kulotos, this is peak Umpio for me. So far, I should say, as he just gets better and better. Trankilo... nothing tranquil about it. An oil-spitting, unsafely built piece of nasty machinery is what this is. Rustling, shaking, whitehot mechanics chewing away, with burning electric currents bleeding from cables and wires. And what a sensation of space! An almost cinematic experience, both in headphones and speakers. Superb sound design, excellent noise.

V/A - Finish 2x7" (Drahtfunk-Products, 1996)
Came to think about this one when reading the compilation thread over at ghe Scream & Writhe forum. Not an all time favorite (got it two years ago maybe), but I'm always thrilled when I bring it out. Brume, Astro, MSBR, Salt, Contagious Orgasm, Thirdorgan, Aube and Macronympha. Not all killer, but certainly no filler. They all do their thing. Hand printed/painted/cut cover with three double sided inserts and a great lineup, still cheap and easy to find... What's not to love?

Soloman Tump

Quote from: HateSermon on January 30, 2022, 07:54:23 PM
Cryocene - "Exclave"

New collaborative project between Stefan Aune (Kjostad) and Matt Boettke (Scant). This was a blind buy for me as both collaborators continuously produce strong work and are titans of US noise. It was also strange that no one that I knew was talking about this release - I couldn't find any buzz around it, which made me even more curious.
I was not disappointed! Each track is a pensive soundscape of deep droning synths and strategically planned junk/metal noise loops placed over top. Sometimes a harsh avalanche and sometimes strangely meditative, slipping into the void. Mastered by Grant Richardson so you know that the sound quality is top notch. I do hope there's more where this came from. Favorite track: Forge of Ashes. CD is available at New Forces, Cloister, and I'm sure a few others.

I was meaning to listen to the Cryocene album, so thanks for the reminder.

Today I have been listening to Culver & Haare - Invisible Death (narco tape) which I purchased after watching the Haare episode of the WCN podcast.  Excellent longform drones with subtle noise variations throughout.  Culver is an artist who largely evades the digital world, and the works I have of theirs are excellent so this seemed like a good choice to pick up.  I will try and get some more Haare works on the back of this, as I very much enjoyed the podcast.  Seems like a good choice getting these artists to work together.

Decrepitude

Screloma - Amplifying Hatred
As soon as I saw there was Screloma CD available I had to get it from WCN. I have not heard the tape on Subliminal Propaganda (if you have this and want to part with it, send me a PM. Same goes for the split cdr with Antracot) but the sounds here are even more morose, grim and melancholic than on Rotten Sarkoma. The powerful line-in sound is here again but the overall sound is not as loud and a bit more varied and subdued as on that one. There's some very energetic moments of full blown rumbling oscillations and whirring synths but these moments usually fade into more desolate industrial soundscapes with very good use of samples and even melodic synthwork. There's not too many rhythms here and even they're mostly present on these short melancholic interludes that bring to mind the Predator soundtrack or Linekraft's great Industrialized Criminals History. There's some very venomous vocal action on few tracks also. I think my description here might make this seem more all-over than it really is but this is a very well crafted and quite monochrome sounding release very well depicting the horrors of war on the covers and song titles.

Scald Hymn - Hatfield Isolation Chamber
Right from the start this falls in the deepening hole of mixer overdriven(?) Junk sounds. But as with the Scald Hymn tape on Monorail Trespassing, the loops sound very composed and there's a very meticulous feel on this. The second track ups the intensity and distortion. The composed feeling and a keen ear for dynamics remain though. The thing I like on Scald Hymn is the restraint and ability to tone down the sounds to make dynamic pieces that don't lose momentum. The A-side closes with a shedful of creaking concreté.
B-side starts with sound of chains or some other metal dragged on metal that gets drowned into a sea of tape rumble. Again, there's some very uplifting compositional tricks. This is noise that feels as much like a craft than music.

FreakAnimalFinland

In WCN podcast Aprapat episode they were talking about The New Boyfriends "3" tape, tape that unusual blend of noise and saxophone. Yes, indeed, but I would think sax is pretty common, and depending how you "sense" it being played, there are other things than the... how could one describe it? Something else than sonic diarrhoea?

I was always fan of DISLOCATION (japan) "Carve Another Notch" CD, who I always associated as NOISE as they were on such labels and compilation, although I guess at times one could describe it free/improv/whatever. Live feel of sax/reeds/electronics/acoustic sounds. Lots of room, air, but also tension, noisiness. No way spasstic jazz, no way diarrhead sax blast, but something quite unique happening on all their releases. Not brutally HARSH, though.

IFOTS "Blush" CD. I would say best IFOTS stuff is on Unrest and the one cd on Freak Animal. Cold Spring has good stuff, but when I listen for example "Blush", it is really one of the greats of IFOTS. Crystal clear, sharp and unique take on electronic noise.

ARV & MILJÖ "Orientering I Denna Värld" cd, less than 30 mins cd on analogue tape noises, harshness, rawness, yet as cover displays, it has certain... almost sonic architecture, some kind of monumental element in it, as opposed to "vile" or .. "disgusting" noise. Seeminly decayed and raw.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

New WCN podcast, with TASKMASTER, perhaps project I am slightly less familiar with. I was listening episode, thinking I must have few things, but not that many. "Swamp Lurker" 12" one-sider on Troniks is something that it is certainly more harsh noise than what later was associated as "HNW" (they talk about this in podcast), but sonically most of elements are things that wall stuff has plenty.
Pedal distortion blast. No feedback, barely "acoustics", no synths, etc, just distortion pedal characteristic sound - not in negative sense.
Listened this twice today, and it could take more spin instantly. Heavy noise. No tinny, no ripping thin razor, but heavy and hard.

Talking about great less known artists, I was doing some personal trades, and I got couple tapes that didn't ask, but both turn out to be very good.
Energy Gradient "Circulations" tape, absolutely great tape. First form artist? Maybe.  It has elements of noise, industrial, field recordings, tape manipulations. You could thrown together Alfarmania, Hum of the Druid, Sewer Electrion tape works, perhaps even little bit of H.Ö.H., and so on. I guess one gets just about the territory he is operating at.
What is great here, is that it is compositionally so good. Starts with quiet loop/microsound crackle kind of thing, but you won't be listening full side of piezzo crackles kind of thing, but it soon escalates into murky and grim noise, and eventually into broken chewed tapes of field recordings and raw noise.
B-side has it all too. From strong noise moments to dirty basement clatter loops and eerie screeching machinery. Backwards tapes and other old school, but always great methods. Always lo-fi in tasty way.

Guy of E.G. is also one member in Elastic Energy Ensemble. That tape is full on harsh noise. Nothing revolutionary, but very good in what it is. Nice graphics, sounds pretty much like could be live-in-studio tracks. Not quick edits not massive multilayering. Sound is liverly and always things happening, but basic pallette is pretty much same through-out entire duration. I suppose this project may be more known, due label was probably somewhat hyped? Gracial Host. I never head any of them, as this label works out pre-order batch kind of way, and I am probably worst in  placing pre-orders. Don't recall if I ever really pre-ordered any noise?! Some wholesale orders of course, but probably not retail orders.

FreakAnimalFinland

Stimbox / AUM / Death Squad CD. Stimbox does couple harsh tracks. Good stuff. AUM is collaboration of S & DS, I think it is safe to assume that Tim does the high pitched lively feedback electronics and Michael the bassy brutal crunchy background? It would go in lines what they were doing at the time.
This is before the classic Theological Genocide album, where DS sound changed dramatically. All the tapes before it, are ultra distorted, crunchy, bass loaded noise. Often loops. Debut CD turned into treble-only "power electronics". Tracks on this split are still in line with early tapes. Simple, brutal, noise. At the time, quite amusing Terminator 2 sample. Ain't that popular anymore to have blockbusters sampled to power electronics and some cyber warfare sounds going on below the noise. From the 90's I recall at least 3 guys sampling Terminator 2. Death Squad, Netzach, Propergol.

FallOfNature

Putrefaction Orchestra - Sequential Stages of Decomposition tape
Sludgy analogue electronics, decayed synth sounds and medical/postmortem samples. Really appeals to my taste as it would anyone into Disgusting Sanctum, Slaughter Prods and the like. Worth checking out.

CREDO - Triumphant Throes of Warfare tape
A continuation of Chad Davis' Torturecide project. More in common with the old German sound of Tesco and early Loki Found than it does the last Torturecide release. Solid tape of heavy electronics.