PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moozz

Die Reitenden Leichen - Scumshot (Monolithische Aktion) cassette
Monolithische Aktion is back! The latest batch is only small part HNW but mostly good harsh noise of various styles. I like this new DRL tape the best of the bunch. Gone are the more static days as this is just active harsh noise. No drone passages or quiet parts, only ripping harsh noise. Sounds somehow very clear and crispy (digital?) but at the same time very powerful. Great!

Oblive - Demise (self-released) CDR
This came out more than 10 years ago I think. Not the sexiest of formats but the material here is top notch. I have not heard that much Oblive but everything else has been HNW. This on the other hand is heavy harsh noise. Really punishing brutal stuff. Sometimes active, sometimes more static (especially the second 15+ min track) but not total HNW minimalism at all. If anyone can point out similar releases in the Oblive discography I would be more than happy to try hunting some down.

FreakAnimalFinland

Out of town again.. I have probably mentioned that I have quite strong objections to online listening. I do it to certain extent, but it tends to lean to "stuff I know". Was listening Genocide Organ "save our slaves" vinyl rip and liking what I hear, but... When there is supposedly all the great new unheard noise out there, it is odd that I listen digitally "things I know" and physical is the method of new discoveries! Seems almost like opposite I hear from other people.

Now, consciously, decided to go to bandcamp and check out something unheard. Thinking what it could be.. and amusingly enough, found myself listening YKSI tape. Something I know is on its way to me on physical format. Finnish harsh noise side project of UTON. Released by Satatuhatta -label (Aprapat). Label has profiled already now as place who can offer new, unheard or largely unnoticed noise tapes. Not just putting out artists some other label popularized, but offering new things. Never heard of YKSI before. UTON, of course, is the known name in Finnish noise/drone for couple decades by now. I like what I hear. Its harsh noise. Almost "hnw", but not static, not crackle studies, no mid-range crunch. It has very simple way of shifts. Couple layers of things going on, and one layer gets replaced by new sound while other layer(s) keep on going. Changes occur ever few minutes, so it is basically slowly and gradually shifting, but in other hands these shifts are clearly audible. Not just slow mutation, but abrupt change one element while other sounds keeps piece somewhat same. So, no "cut up", no appearence of caref "editing". just noise that keep going forward and gets better and keeps one interested. Will re-listen from tape, which is (I'm told) louder than bandcamp file!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A DIMENSIO Group LP.
Finnish early 70's avantgarde art group, that was into kinetik art, installation, sound art etc. Album published in 1987, recording at EMS and some other places including Finnish studios of the time. Partially excellent, all the way good electro-acoustic stuff. I would guess that old Finn electro-acoustic/experimental sound largely unnoticed abroad?
https://www.discogs.com/release/490427-Various-Dimensio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrpYLrb7lU&t=53s

The New Blockaders TNB est mort 2xCD
Tesco
This was actually first thing I bought from TNB. I did not know what type of packaging it would have, so I was blown out when getting item! Feeling that was not uncommon when gettin your hands to early Tesco stuff! Usually it would be something outstanding.
When I got this, it took me actually quite long time to fully appreciate it. Clatters and racket and slow tempo odd noises and squeeling/screeching high pitched sounds somehow melted in my mind as if release is all the same thing from beginning to end. This is partly true, that I assume both CD tracks are always mix of same sound material? They start exactly the same, they have the exact same elements going on you can recognize and structure too. But seems like different mixdown or something? Quite Organum -like feel that you are not quite sure if you are listening same track or similar track over and over again, hah...
Anyways, when this came out, I was more on the mood for Masonna, Merzbow, Pain Jerk kind of sounds where you get loud in-your-face harsh blast, not just saturated slow mass of junk. Needless to say, opposed to AGGRESSION and sonic violence, TNB has something else - and when you get it, this release among everything that came before it is pure gold.
I have once talked - or almost talked with R.Rupenus. Back stage of London gig, what RRR put out as pic LP. RRRon and couple others said come to check out Rupenus, he is backstage. We went to door, and man was HAMMERED. Couple words were exchanged but no idea what those words may have been. Haha! No problem. No really anything to say to artist of such class, than the usual Thanks for great albums!

FreakAnimalFinland

The long planned re-vising old own Freak Animal label titles... K2/Grunt LP and Ramirez/Grunt LP, both from 1997 and they came out same time. Back in the mid 90's, it was actually K2 who contacted me first, sending introductory letter and telling he had heard of Freak Animal. I am sure I was aware of his work by then. His noise tournament 7"s series was done by the time this was done. I liked and still very much admire the noise tournament series (that's something what would deserve CD resissue!), so eventually suggestion was made for doing this collab LP.  I like the material, but doubt that more than 200 copies vinyl needs to exists... From Grunt, these are among the last "all-over-the-place" noise releases before transition to more focused stuff. It has the charming whatever goes -attitude, though..

Ramirez collaboration/split history is a bit clouded... What I can gather from actually still having master tape from RR, is that he originally sent audio for RR solo or split 10". Track that was used here, is more based on "sampling" talk from radio, mixing it with the delay/distortion feedback noise. Not just harsh noise, but leaning more to.... Almost "power electronics"? Then the other side proposed for 10" wasn't as good, but it had really great bits and pieces in it. This material was therefore chopped up as source sounds used for Grunt+RR tracks. Grunt solo track was unusual at the time. It has massive hi-fi keyboard tone in it. I had no synths at the time. This was recorded at rehearsal place of Finnish cult doom metal band UNHOLY. I recall asking guys if I can record some minutes of their keyboard. Over that recording was placed vocals and harsh noise burts. I think collaboration material is the strongest on this. Perhaps vinyl only, 100 copies back in 1997 is a bit too little. At least some people complained it is one of the hardest titles to find from FA.

FreakAnimalFinland

TURBUND STURMWERK / INADE split LP box
Loki/PAS
Last weekend I just bought new amp to stereo system. Vastly better than I had before in this set-up. Now seems like all other titles before this has played with better and cleaner sound than before! Just so much better turntable inputs and grounding etc.
Turbund Sturmwerk side is way less inspiring than Inade. Inade, very good here. Vinyl cut is a bit quiet and also dirty. When you crank it up, constant surface noise is little annoying in atmospheric material, which is most audible in TS side which is so clean synth sounds.

TAINT "Misogynist Lust" LP
Freak Animal
Taint LP, that sounds loud and clean. The press I mean. Material.. not so clean! There was edition of 9 copies with silk screened + hand written poster + back cover sticker. Regular edition was small too. Not sure was it 100 including these, or 100 + 9? Either way. Listening to this LP, it is so clear how Keith was absolute master in disturbing vocals. No screamo, no tough roar, nothing "metal" or "punk" in vocal style, but perfect timing, tension, stylish use of efx, great vocal feedback, mostly using disturbing whispering, talking, simple phrase repeating vocals. Something one could imagine obsessive person mutter while... doing what they're doing. Same time as this came out, there was Victimology 2 LP, that is perhaps better than the original CD. It was tough to convince Keith that all samples between tracks could be notch louder on LP. Original CD was intentionally all material as one track so you can't skip while listening and samples between noise so quiet that if you turned volume up to hear them, noise assaults would be extra punishing, hah..  Difficult power electronics, all the way! When eventually CD will be reissued, I guess his original vision must be honoured.

FreakAnimalFinland

Been a bit busy catching up after "holiday". While packing orders etc, ongoing week work playlist been mostly the tapes. No bad tape on this pile... Corral Shut "scuff marks", Absolute Key demo 1, Missing "III", Psykoosi, Prurient "documenting sound", Culver/Haare, Scathing "pale faced feeders", Aprapat "born rare", Wasteland jazz unit "Assembled rejection", The Räty, Sunken, Ungeziefer new tape, Psychward, edge of decay new tape, Slow Burning,... etc

Highlights would be MISSING "III" tape on New Forces. Listened it twice yesterday as it was just sooo good. Totally eerie and disturbing, Prurient "Documenting Sound" tape is yet another proof how Prurient gets somehow relaxed on tape format, and can put out raw and fierce noise what probably would not happen on CD? HAARE & CULVER tape, partially good, partially g r e a t  drone-noise! SCATHING tape, full blast harsh rules ok.
PRAISE tape is actually finnish grindcore. It is very very rare that contemporary grindcore is this good (in Finland at least!).
SUNKEN tape was also good surprise. Finnish label put out tape of New Zealand air-organ / drone / noisy oddity. Way better than expected! I guess that label may have advertised on this forum.

Major Carew

A few tapes from the ODAL 1983-1986 boxed set I borrowed from a friend:

'POSITIVE SOUNDSCULPTURES'

What at low volume sounded like wild apes in a cage, but when turned up is sawing wood against metal, or something similar. Small parts of this sound like a DX7 that's been done up the arse. There's what appears to be loops of objects sped up & down. Someone breathing over a PA with lapel mic left on but not saying anything? Gradually becomes more chaotic but rebuilds again where it began. Rather thin & stripped down but still has a great deal of power. There's an imposing loop of what sounds like a large whip at the end of the B side that gradually turns into something heavier.Tactile atmosphere, hence the title I imagine.

NIHILIST DOGS

Begins with the infamous Con-Dom loop (the release on which it appears i've somehow forgotten). Not sure which way around it worked there, or maybe i've got that wrong. There's what sounds like number station transmissions, but layered with other unspecified noises & pitched down voices, quite eerie. More loops appear, some more aggro than others. It's near impossible to put your finger on what any of the source sounds are, or what they're getting at.They gradually degrade into nothing. There's one piece of a piano (or possibly digital synth?) which I found rather annoying. That didn't last long though. Whilst some of the loops gradually degrade, some build up and then disappear. The B side starts with yet more unidentifiable noise with crude industrial rhythms layered underneath it. More crazed loops follow. Possibly synths, but it's just as likely it isn't. There's some quite bizarre modulating sounds, some that are just unnerving & awkward, that again the origins of which are very hard to pin down. The only thing I think I can make out on the B side is these aforementioned dogs growling or white noise with envelope editing, but that loop turns into something else and disintegrates , so could be something else entirely. There's a human voice pitched down at the end of one loop, but it's hard to tell if it's in pain or pleasure. It's quite clear to hear a similar tone to other projects of the same era, i'm not sure if it's voices modulating, or what, but there was clearly an element of the intentionally unidentifiable in that era of noise and industrial, but this might be also due to the limitations of certain recording equipment, or just the muddiness of older tapes, less than ideal recording circumstances etc.

'BLACK'

Cut ups that sound like they're being made live somehow of classical music, interspersed with rough pulses of feedback, voices breaking through (?), all covered by the 80s murky noise tape atmosphere. Crunching and hissing, with distant buzzes and ripping noises. Think there's voices buried in there somewhere? Followed by....Loops of what sounds like a hands on tactile approach with different metal objects or similar, something like a factory floor or conveyor belt, but colder. 

'BODY & SOUL'

Grinding synths and feedback manipulation, mixed with short-wave type radio noise. Ping pong / square wave modular synth type moments that constantly change. Rather abrasive and pumping.Then, Roaring & distant pink noise with something ominous going on underneath with fast feedback changes, possibly flange. Becomes very rotten at times. Gradually changes to spacey radio static again. Broken morse code type messages? Stuttering rough sequenced synths reappear.Whooping / hooping synths . Driving and hard pulsing. Distant synths then appear with something that sounds like it's being hit quite hard. More feedback and modulation interferes. Extremely cold. Sample and hold modular sounds with delay appears along with some kind of loop of what sounds like a small metal object clacking.

'THE CHOICE OF A NEW GENERATION ' 1 + 2

A side of the first tape is a long one of a constant loop of the same pulse, but with changes. It's unrelenting, and just keeps going the whole way. Sounds like layered synth or electronics put through a small amp but turned right up. B side begins with minimalist bleeps & signals that gradually modulate , degrade ,deform, crumble, reform themselves and then disintegrate again.The B side is punctuated at the end with an eerie whining electronic tone. The second tape begins with modulating electronics, and what sounds like tape speed manipulation, layered underneath with what sounds like moving physical objects, but it's impossible to define what they are. One of them sounds like the engine of a small outboard motor slowed right down. Some more like lathes or objects in a machine room. B Side of the second shorter tape starts with what appears to be someone struggling with a microphone whilst they're attempting to bundle someone into the boot of a car. Physical objects like metals & stones are layered and pitched up or down. Fluid of unknown description slurps down pipes, and there's definitely voices in there.

AGAINST HUMANITY

Starts with what might be a very dead sounding air flu expelling gas. A similar piece follows, but with a very simple loop underneath. Next is a crunching wall of noise but with rough synth tones breaking through underneath. Driven very much into the red, are what sound like radio voices coming via an external-in but can't be sure. Feedback gradually breaks through & all becomes a bit more chaotic until it slowly pours itself down the drain. The B side is signature Odal. Bonkers loops and chaotic sounding movie samples.Some sound like they've just been recorded more than once, some perhaps triggered with a sampler? Some of them mixed with a synth? More unidentifiable loops and field recordings follow, some sound like fireworks or breaking glass. Some more ominous. There's one loop that sounds like a pair of mechanical lungs gasping for a last breath of air.There is nothing positive about this tape, it is very much Against Humanity!

Will continue listening...

ConcreteMascara

Shackleton – Departing Like Rivers 2xLP - Woe to the Septic Heart!, 2021
Haven't had much opportunity for noise and related listening, mostly sticking with other genres the last two months. I feel this is worth a mention here because despite being one of the most musical things I've ever heard, it's also very dark, weird, and hard to categorize. For anyone familiar with the last 10 years of Shackleton's work this isn't a huge curveball or anything. It's within his trend of "proper" albums where one track oozes into the next and each album is a cohesive whole in feeling/visuals/message, but somehow this feels like the next big step forward. Syncopated rhythms collapse into themselves, giving way to disembodied vocal transmissions and clinks and clunks of metal, alien instruments, thick bass swells envelope forward momentum, a nude descends a staircase in the dark. And shit, this all happens in the first track. Imagine the Aural Hypnox crew at their most adventurous, but with a fevered rainforest vibe and it might get you close. This album is absolutely restless, moving from one interesting idea into the next but it's done in such a way it doesn't feel like dicking around with weird sounds for an hour, but some kind of otherworldly manifesto. Potentially my favorite album of the year.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

Quote from: absurdexposition on November 02, 2020, 11:01:40 PM
TED BYRNES - Formula CS (Lake Shark Harsh Noise, 2020)

Given the context of this being released on LSHN, some the sounds here initially reminded me of those of certain works by THE RITA - rumbling friction of contact mics on nylon, contact mics (and/or knives) dredging watery depths, etc., but these eventually give way to barreling sounds that conjure up the desired images of Formula One cars idling, engines crackling (and/or cackling), sputtering as they prepare to hit the track in full precision force at top speed. The "solo acoustic percussion" that Ted Byrnes defines his work as has never sounded more "electronic" than what is presented on the B-side - that description should not betray the material's authenticity, however, as its "purpose" has perhaps never been more fully realized than in these perfect emulations of short stroke engines. Compare the sounds to DAMION ROMERO's "Idle" [recording of a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner idling in the driveway] and one would be hard pressed to say there is any difference between the "natural" sounds presented on both releases. The liner notes to "Idling¹", a release by Byrnes and Sam McKinlay collaborative project CACKLE CAR, state "The physicality and visceral nature of rapid percussion sampled and interpreted with analog overdriven gate and bias fuzz effects. The resulting textural sound resembles an idling top fuel dragster engine" - an effect achieved by RITA-izing Byrnes' percussion. Here on "Formula" the desired outcome is attained without electronic aid, and that speaks volumes to Ted's ability and intent. After running a comparison to "Idling¹", I immediately put this tape back on and found that whatever "other" sounds I had been hearing upon first listen simply did not exist and were likely a result of my own bias and/or preconceptions. Hearing "something else" is easy to do with contextless noise, but no context is lacking here. This is streamlined in such a profound way that it can be nothing other than Ted Byrnes' "Formula". Recommended listening.
I'm just now discovering the world of Byrnes' solo percussion.  I recognize the name from Sissy Spacek, but I never broke out the shovel.  I should pay more attention to what is happening with percussion and noise beyond junk metal etc.  Reminds me of the excitement around Left Hand Right Hand and Menche's Concussion.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

JANITOR "Richie" LP
There is couple Tesco releases after this 1999 LP. I don't think I've ever heard anyone praise or say "got to listen more Janitor", so that was perhaps only reason why this ended to my playlist now. Was browsing shelves and it was random grab.
Duo consists BJ Nilsen (Hazard, Take Dekay etc..) and Lina (Deutch Nepal). So these guys, in 90's, were sometimes absolutely great. I guess it is mainly the uninspiring graphics and the name of project what I never liked.
Last song of A-side is too much of later DN -style of semi-out of tune singing over loops. Most of stuff on LP is simple industrial-loops and spoken pieces pulled out from movie. At best this LP is on B-side, where they hit the full-on distortion mayhem going on. Crushing distortion loops and eventually simple old fashioned rhythm loops and spoken pieces. Not masterpiece on either artists discography, but nevertheless LP that will stay in my shelves...
Anyone has fresh memories of other Janitor output?

FreakAnimalFinland

American Band "Low Fiction" LP
This starts surprisingly slow. First it is.. contact mic crackles and stuff like that. It gets gradually louder, and is harsh noise already on A-side. B-side starts full on blasting what reminds me of moment when seeing American Band perform at No Fun fest. It was one of the most intense and rough harsh noise gigs. Loud PA, multiple guys, doing massive noise wall. One guy with contact mic'ed raw animal ribs, hah... Unlikely to be much of sonic contribution, but it was great seeing huge guy screaming at the ribs. I have not heard most of new Jason Crumer stuff, so basically no idea what he is up to in recent stuff. One can always return the old and never be disappointed.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on November 12, 2021, 06:04:50 PM
Shackleton – Departing Like Rivers 2xLP - Woe to the Septic Heart!, 2021
Haven't had much opportunity for noise and related listening, mostly sticking with other genres the last two months. I feel this is worth a mention here because despite being one of the most musical things I've ever heard, it's also very dark, weird, and hard to categorize. For anyone familiar with the last 10 years of Shackleton's work this isn't a huge curveball or anything. It's within his trend of "proper" albums where one track oozes into the next and each album is a cohesive whole in feeling/visuals/message, but somehow this feels like the next big step forward. Syncopated rhythms collapse into themselves, giving way to disembodied vocal transmissions and clinks and clunks of metal, alien instruments, thick bass swells envelope forward momentum, a nude descends a staircase in the dark. And shit, this all happens in the first track. Imagine the Aural Hypnox crew at their most adventurous, but with a fevered rainforest vibe and it might get you close. This album is absolutely restless, moving from one interesting idea into the next but it's done in such a way it doesn't feel like dicking around with weird sounds for an hour, but some kind of otherworldly manifesto. Potentially my favorite album of the year.

Great to see this review here - I am a long time fan of Shackleton.  I have the 2LP release of this (and it is getting a repress) - the artwork from long time collaborative partner Zeke Clough is fantastic as always.

This album is such a trip - polyrhythmic drums, deep and dark trancelike passages... it feels like a culmination of his past 10 years work as a solo artist. True, he gained initial popularity in the dubstep era, but he was always an outsider there.  His Skull Disco label never became part of the dubstep explosion and the discography remains credible to this day.  He has taken ever darker and explorative paths ever since.

I highly recommend last years collaborative album with Waclaw Zimpel, https://samshackleton.bandcamp.com/album/primal-forms
3 long pieces that push his sound in really exciting ways. 

Theodore

Smell & Quim - Quim De La Quim , tape reissue on Industrial Coast. - From the recent wave of S&Q reissues i caught this. Original is not old, a 2014 release on Zincken's Stront label. Personnel is Srdenovic and Gillham, joined by R.Rupenus and Wharton on two tracks. I say two cause as it is easily noticed by track titles / order / credits, Side B is the material of Side A in reverse, literally. Dont know what to think about this. Would i prefer it empty ? Or shorter duration tape ? Well, i had listened Side A some days ago. Good stuff ! Very good ! Today i listened Side B. Good noise remains good noise even if played in reverse. Maybe better ? I feel it noisier, for sure messy-er. Tape seems still available for anyone interested : https://industrialcoast.bigcartel.com/product/smell-quim-quim-de-la-quim . Worth your money.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Zeno Marx

Autoerotichrist - Bondage Morningstar - possibly my favorite reissue (collection) of the year - pure pleasure.

I see they took down their bandcamp page.  They were active again.  Hope all is well.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Contagious noise?

I have watched my Netzach "collection", that basically consists two LP's, for long time. Thinking that this "Altitude Of Thurs" LP with early stuff, Ex.Order split material + unreleased, from 1993, was so brutal in its repetition that it is more in tradition of industrial music DIFFICULT experience than enjoyment. I had postponed returning to it for years and years. Live LP, has pre- Propergol, but equally disturbing Hollywood smash-hit movie sampling in it. But contagious noise? Listening to latest Noisextra episodes, it made me want to re-listen Netzach. I have feeling this may not be as good as tape they're talking about, but kind of gutsy move to make SO repetitive, so primitive, almost unchanging loop torment... and then reissue it on LP! I can't see anyone doing the noise, nor doing LP these days. Challenging and difficult sound, indeed. Not a instant hit.

Another Noisextra episode, John Wiese. I actually have quite a lot of Wiese stuff, and perhaps than to doing reviews & zines for nearly 30 years, many people, including Wiese, sent his first 7" to me. Trade, review, some sort of contat, can't remember. But one day long long ago, very first Wiese 7" landed in my mailbox, and still after all these years, listening his works...
Contagious - of course! Being reminded, being inspired to pull out something from shleves. So thanks to noisextra for these couple things, even if not exact same.. Soft Punk LP was playing here, and some stuff is very good, other stuff is somewhat "computer electronics" vibe to it. Not bad, but instead of hard noise, its like colorful... ehm.. pink noise, haha..