PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodore

Knurl - Acetylphasia CS : I had bought this used some years ago from someone who had removed the tape from the bag once he recieved it. If you dont know, this was coming with an acid moistened napkin that its fumes [?] are corrosive ! And judging by the look of the shell, very corrosive ! Screws of the shell were rusty, i shaked the cassette and rust was falling haha. I suppose this was done cause of the acid and not intentionaly used [?] . -My tape is a 2 sided C45~ BTW- . I decided i am too pussy and that i value my deck enough to not feed it with rust. So unglued the labels, kept them, and procceded to a transfer to another shell operation. But it was impossible to unscrew open. The screwdriver was totally destroying the rusty tips, till there wasnt any catch. Went to the basement and carefuly cracked the shell with a vise, and finally put the reels in a new shell. With a fear if that happened to screws in what condition is the tape inside i played the tape. To my surprise it sounded excellent -it still does- , it left some oxide residue on first pass -nothing tragic, but enough that i should clean- but that was one-off, from then it passes clean everytime. Since then i even keep it in a new case cause the original smells. - - Yes, that was a music review about Knurl.

I have listened two other Knurl lately too, and have them fresh in memory, the new tape on Nefarious Activities [if i recall correctly tracks are recorded in 2008] and Mesosoma CDR, and i think Acetylphasia is the one i prefer most of them. Cause it's different. It's not the harsher, it's not wild, it's mostly slow, with the saw blade cello creating an 'ambience' , would this qualify for guitar noise ? Sounds like many times. Favorite track the last one, a beatiful industrial piece.

Hey, can anyone confirm the long 20min track is the first one ? Just to be sure i didnt reverse the sides when transfering. Dont remember i paid notice on that.

PS: I see Thoracia is from the same year with saw blade cello too. Have to check this.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

PedestrianOrgans

Quote from: Theodore on December 19, 2020, 06:31:00 AM
Knurl - Acetylphasia CS : I had bought this used some years ago from someone who had removed the tape from the bag once he recieved it.

Holt crap, I'd be supremely grateful if you'd bless me with these files...I've had this tape sealed up and stored for years since I figured it was totally unplayable :/

Baglady

Quote from: Theodore on December 19, 2020, 06:31:00 AM
PS: I see Thoracia is from the same year with saw blade cello too. Have to check this.
Thoracia is one of the best later Knurls, I think. Alot of blade action! Bloor is always in total control of his setups, but there's something slightly reckless about Thoracia. Wild and loud tape. It also has a great track where he simply just plays around with the tip of an amplified cable. A good example of how he can bring alot out of almost nothing.

Decrepitude

cr

Today five years ago, Lemmy passed away.
So, playlist is clear and I will raise several glasses.
Cheers!

Eigen Bast

A.x.D.x.F.x.O.x.A - Soddy is King (C-60) Dada Drumming
A bruiser of a release; closest comparison would have to be King of the Deathmatch in terms of theme and content. Pure, crunching, dynamic harsh noise mastered loud. Short but effective samples. Simple but good looking packaging. Dada Drumming make it look effortless and are absolutely killing it right now. AFATEF and the new Scathing are on the docket, sure to please.

Mania - Raw Nerves and Unseen Eyes (CD) Freak Animal
Heavy metal crunch, deafening reverberation, blades sharpening, drills jabbed into some orifice...heavy and effective. I had just watched Tsukamoto's "Haze" the other night, a film where a man wakes up in a horrific torture maze and this could easily stand as the soundtrack. Mania at it's purest. RIP!

Haare - Tantric Noise (LP) Influencing Machine
A compelling mixture of dark ambient, noise, drone, hell even some new age towards the tail end. Everything feels very intentional and personal, punctuated by the dedication to WM Berger (RIP!!). There's a musicality to this record that sets it apart from other folks traveling in similiar spheres of sound and theme. Now I need to track down that Aussat full length.

Zeno Marx

Metamorphic Mindphase - Liberation 2020 - Jim Wilson of Voice of Eye - organic and giant resonance as I hopingly expected - great ambient album - does short videos for some of the tracks on youtube.
Metamorphic Mindphase - Lockdown 2020 - Jim Wilson of Voice of Eye - along with what is found on the above Liberation, there's also tribal and industrial elements to add other layers - if like me you wanted Dead Can Dance to break free on Toward the Within, this is what I imagine that would have been like - also a great ambient album.
Gnawed - Subterranean Rites 2020
Blunt Force Trauma - Bled Out 1997 - Deathpile + Gruntsplatter collaboration - play loud.
Tangerine Dream - Zeit 1972
Popol Vuh - Aguirre 1975
Popol Vuh - Herz Aus Glas 1977
Popol Vuh - Einsjaeger & Siebenjaeger 1974
Popol Vuh - Seligpreisung 1973
Emtidi - Saat 1972 - I think this and Holderlin's Traum are the reason I prefer folk on record.
Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn 1973
Ash Ra Tempel - s/t 1971
Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen 1972 - if I listen to the s/t first, I side with this album as the better, but also vice versa - then Join Inn can also fuck it all up, too.

*as the blue hues of winter came, that floating krautrock guitar sound compliments it all well
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Black Leather Jesus - Hits
Heavy and CRUNCHY tape from 2009. The line up here includes Richard, Sean, long-time collaborator Scott Houston, Kevin Novak, and a few others. Very dense layers from the entire cast that builds into a free-flowing, but never relenting 30+ minutes. I'm not as familiar with the post-2000s BLJ as I am with the 90's catalogue, but what I've heard has been very good. Excellent tape and glad it was re-issued!

Black Leather Jesus - Raw
There have been a few new releases in 2020 from the group, but this is the only one I've heard so far besides the BLJ/Rita/JSH/VOMIR tour tape. If all of the releases are of the same quality of Raw, I need to change that. This one honestly should have been on my year end list. It's impressive that Richard has been spearheading this project for 30 years now with an always rotating cast, but still finds ways of creating quality noise. Side B has some very interesting and well used almost musical droning elements underneath the layers which completely took me off guard in the best possible way.

cr

Listening a lot to Lingua Ignota these days. I think she's great!

Baglady

URALL - Facing The Ground Instead CS (White Centipede Noise, 2020)
I remember hearing Urall on soundcloud years ago, when I still kept an eye out there. As I recall I liked what I heard but that it wasn't anything special. This tape stands out though, and it seems Urall has carved out something more of his own by now. A rather broad palette of sounds that barely holds together, but it's all dragged in the same direction mood wise. Many surprises! A mix of present day tape noise/rubbish concrete, 80's industrial and a glimpse of the timewarped depths often inhabited by Mnem and their few likes. A rather short tape (guessing 20-30 minutes) housing alot of ideas, but it works very well most of the time. Very promising! Will be interesting to hear where he's heading in the future. Do not miss out!

absurdexposition

Quote from: Baglady on January 08, 2021, 04:17:57 PM
I remember hearing Urall on soundcloud years ago, when I still kept an eye out there. As I recall I liked what I heard but that it wasn't anything special. This tape stands out though, and it seems Urall has carved out something more of his own by now. A rather broad palette of sounds that barely holds together, but it's all dragged in the same direction mood wise. Many surprises! A mix of present day tape noise/rubbish concrete, 80's industrial and a glimpse of the timewarped depths often inhabited by Mnem and their few likes. A rather short tape (guessing 20-30 minutes) housing alot of ideas, but it works very well most of the time. Very promising! Will be interesting to hear where he's heading in the future. Do not miss out!

Listened to this one last night and found the varying styles were sewn together quite well.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Baglady

Quote from: absurdexposition on January 08, 2021, 04:28:25 PM
Quote from: Baglady on January 08, 2021, 04:17:57 PM

Listened to this one last night and found the varying styles were sewn together quite well.

Yeah. I'm sure my head will stitch it all together over time. Never a bad thing though; not completely "getting it" straight away.

Eigen Bast

Azoikum - Chaos Patterns Danvers State C77
Balls to the wall chaotic noise wholely in the red for the full hour+. No sound lingers, all pure aggression and force. The sound of being on the receiving end of a failed space capsule re-entry both as astronaut careening to his fiery death and unlucky guy on the ground about to get evaporated. Industrial elements peer through in heavily distorted mechanical samples but this is capitol N Noise. psycho shit !   A+

burdizzo1

Æþel Electronics ‎– Angelcynn
Was expecting a little more form a Hospital release, I must say. Muddy, lo-fi noise and barked English-accented vocals. Reminds me or a cross between Con-Dom and, say, Black State. It's not bad, just - as I say - expected something more 'in your face'. Certain charms and little patterns appear now and again, and I will listen to it again - but probably not that much. Bills itself as "Anglo-Saxon" power electronics, which I can get into, and seemingly the side-project of a synth-pop band. Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: burdizzo1 on January 09, 2021, 10:13:58 PM
Æþel Electronics ‎– Angelcynn
Was expecting a little more form a Hospital release, I must say. Muddy, lo-fi noise and barked English-accented vocals. Reminds me or a cross between Con-Dom and, say, Black State. It's not bad, just - as I say - expected something more 'in your face'. Certain charms and little patterns appear now and again, and I will listen to it again - but probably not that much. Bills itself as "Anglo-Saxon" power electronics, which I can get into, and seemingly the side-project of a synth-pop band. Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

Side project of mateys who comprise Natural Assembly and Cremation Lily. To me, it feels like a return to the "Fires Frame The Silhouette" stuff from Cremation Lily, which i vaguely remember he told me is influenced by 8th Pillar, so I dig it. Certainly not the hardest PE ever but that's also not what I'd expect from these guys.