PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

Jackson-Pratt - Deep In The Night, I'm Lost In Love CD (Oxen): Really enjoyable! I have a few other tapes (I recall really enjoying the double CS on Dead Gods that I'll have to revisit) but this just hits just right. Nice and crunchy, lots of feedback and some mangled synth bits (???) and enough variety of keep things interesting and moving throughout the whole CD. Definitely highly recommend!!

Vomir/Bacillus CS - I have slept on Bacillus for sure, first thing I picked up was the split with The Rita last year and since then I'm trying to grab everything I can. Something about this stuff just grabs me the right way. This one has.... amazing packaging and I'm thrilled to have my own Vomir mask, even if I will never take apart the packaging a second time and try to get it all back together. Vomir side is Vomir. Not sure it warrants a review. It's great. It's Vomir. I love it.

Yrjö-Koskinen

MERZBOW - Exoking
This is not the most talked about Merzbow album, and I think some would say there's good reason. Rhythms, easily identifiable instruments and clownish nonsense could very well have made this one of the worse offerings from a guy who's made a whole lot of offerings over the years. It is saved by a couple of things. First of all it is very well produced, which seems to be an advantage with this type of unmusic. Perhaps more importantly, the music as such is also very well put together. The tracks come across as, if not written, then at least planned. That makes the experience more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. Some tracks are more solid than others - glitchy, repetitive sounds, some rather held back noise bursts etc. Others are far closer to joke/chaos stuff, and things become more difficult the more actual instruments and regular beats get thrown in the mix. Still, at least tonight this was a decent experience despite the fact that I put it on without quite knowing what to expect. Could possibly be very annoying to me if the stars stood differently, though, and it is probably best to approach it when in the mood for "experimental" (or possibly "whatever") rather than looking for a japanoise brain burster.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

New Forces

Kiyoshi Mizutani ‎– Works 1989-1991 (Povertech Industries)

A nice collection of late-80's and early-90's work from Kiyoshi Mizutani, an early member of Merzbow. Wide ranging experimental noise with no strict genre tropes. Feedback, field recordings, synth experiments, some percussion. It's all over the place, and I like that. It reminds me of the Noisextra podcast episode with GX where he mentions enjoying earlier Merzbow work "before he found his sound." There's an openness to this disc that feels similar. The artist is reaching out towards interesting sound art without necessarily reaching towards something specific. The best part is that you can buy one straight from Joe Colley here: https://issuesshop.com/collections/frontpage/joe-colley
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Bloated Slutbag

See bottom of this post for digest commentary.

Chris Goudreau ‎– Further Fields, Or Close
You'd be right in expecting a departure from harsh electronic purity when SICKNESS spreads under his own name. You may also expect the familiar symptoms: angular dynamics, exacting precision, meticulous detail, constant movement, practiced attention to pacing and flow. And there you'd be right again. This three-part digital-only brevity was created for AMPLIFY 2020 out of remnants, partials, and leavings from field recordings gathered since quarantine and represents the fourth release under the name but only the second belonging exclusively to the studio. In the studio the departure from the celebrated SICKisms is more clear cut, every bit as infectious, but, just....not so fiercely now.

Opener Further is perhaps the furthest yet from the fiercely finessed cuts and chops honed over the better part of two decades. Or to say, the cuts and chops are there, but de-harshed in the service of disembodied industrial strength atmosphere, as though culled from late night sorties at a haunted warehouse or dockyard. Garbled snatches of voice accelerate ghost-like around shadowy corridors, flitting in between fuller bodied rumbles, snatched huffs of deep-sunk bellows, boiler room steam hiss, dampened washes of blackened gasp, wooden thunk, choked whisper. At the crystalline peaks, the jarring bite of scrap metal in clattered collapse, never to the fore, always fading back in spectral spirals. A possibly obscure comparison, and perhaps to earn in your sometimes faithful narrator a righteous hoof to the jewels, but in the hallucinated afterburn the caustic concrete considerations might dare to suggest deftly spliced highlights from Illusion of Safety's From Nothing To Less.

A loud bang announces the centerpiece, whose expansive Fields leave any suggestion of the above comparison at some further remove (and with any luck to save the prized jewels from further malignment). Haunted warehouse disembodiments continue to invade the space, but so too a number of electronic buzzings, wheedlings, grumblings, heftier burls of field-molested huffs and chaffs dodging the occasional dull hammer or ringing clang. The majority of these tends to come straight at you without warning, singularly smithied caustics conspiring to unsettle attentions among their more abruptly finessed snips and slashes. The restless, often variable pacing, broadened textural palette and myriad hard-panned crescendos compete as readily to disorient as to invite fruitless quest to resolve the many and bruising stresses. On this occasion, the stresses are often meted out with some percussive force, the rough angling of each successive cut delivered in pointedly sharp dynamic contrast to net a jarring series of never-relenting bangs n thuds, razor'd staccato thwacking and smacking upside the backside down the back end thrown sideways round the bend, over and back again. If you catch my drift.

A lot of the textures here are very raw and organic, much in line with the gnarled thatch of cover art, roughly terrained fields through which to drag yr filthy carcass. Evidently a heavy sort of carcass at that, the dragging an episodic lurching, from field to field, never really harried but never keen to stick around, as though flipping through an industrial-strength pastoral picture book, lingering a few moments to dwell on the ambient afterimages, skipping quickly over the less absorbing gestures, sometimes knocking things off the tree stump and straight into the dirt in the process. Just in case you weren't paying attention, stop-motion drags of grimy bass gulpage freeze frame, then off we go again, reversing upside-down through quick-spliced snapshots of screaming visages trapped in this heaving and jerking hall of mirrors. As the fields near their climax, the space between each cut narrows...closer, closer still...accelerating straight up to legit frenetic pacing that starts to wear just that dab SICK on the palate.

Closer or Close tightens the cuts into frantic jittery pincer-stabs, popping up from densely fogged, slow-grubbing, undergrowth and scampering in excited insectile fevers across the almost frozen tundra before dipping back again below the surface. The rare owl-call or singular echo sometimes startles the chattering fits, as though to remind the listener that someone has in fact been tasked with bringing this to earhole, and meanwhile the grumbling groundswells of subsurface rumble-huff steadily hold the fort. For the most part, however, them pesky ill-mannered buggers keep popping up again and again, quick-spliced snap, rattle, clack, pinching and scratching sickeningly against the earhole, tight-packed slivers of razor-wire caught in a mad, scrabbling, death-jig.

Still itching to contract some SICKNESS? Look no further than Close until Further, a sweet little bonus goodie available via the prime mover's bandcamp. This picks up where the album proper leaves off, mad scrabbling cuts compiling pretty much the entire album's worth of material into three minutes of straight fire. So I suppose, if you weren't afraid of sounding like a complete dick, you could call this SICKNESS Plays Chris Goudreau. SICKNESS plays the full Chris Goudreau medley here, tightening the screws tighter still, closing the gaps between the cuts to the point of non-existence, close, closer, closest! In other words, if everything in the piece sounds exceedingly familiar it's because you've just heard it. Only, het up to breakspine velocity, herking, jerking, lurching and jacking your ass all over the goddamn place. Because, like, it can. Now, if violently shoved into a corner and forced to choose a hole, I might indicate preference for this stuff when it's laid bare for less frenzied introspection, to bliss up the relatively restful sublimations in myriad texture. No chance for that here. Stutter-blasted jerkout fits of frantic epileptic fuckfrenzy, rough-angled jump-cuts ramped with illiberally sprinkled spasms of distorted scrinch-scrape, razor'd staccato thwacking and smacking upside the backside down the back end thrown sideways round the bend in a dizzying hall of mirrored lurch 'n heave-ho, out with chunks, thar she blows. Just, sick.

Digest spew
The second studio-specific sortie for the SICK One under his own name collects fields flung furthest yet from the fiercely finessed cuts and chops honed over the better part of two decades. Here the cuts and chops are studiously de-harshed in the service of disembodied industrial strength atmos, garbled snatches of voice accelerating backward around shadowy corridors, flitting in between fuller bodied rumbles, snatched huffs of deep-sunk bellows, boiler room steam hiss, dampened washes of blackened gasp setting off gnarled fields of raw, organic, texture, collapsed metals disappearing in spectral spirals. The restless, often variable pacing, broad textural palette and myriad hard-panned crescendos compete to disorient, the rough angling of each successive cut delivered in pointedly sharp dynamic contrast. Linger in one field, lurch to the next, bliss up the sickless sublimations in myriad texture. Then, it gets SICK.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Baglady

MSBR - Intensification 10" (Praxis Dr Bearmann, 1995)
I play this quite often, but I try not to as I usually end up neglecting whatever new records or tapes I have laying around. Everything just pales next to this. Industrial strength (literally, in this case) lazer sharp noise. Elegant violence all the way.

JAZKAMER - Bentobox 3xC60 (Abisko, 2005)
Such a cool set. A whole tours worth of live recordings in a box. Several of the livesets remind me of Speculum Fight around 1995-1997 (Swimming Pool, Medium etc.), both in the sounds themselves and that there's a patience there, just letting the sounds slowly run their course and mutate until they hit home, so to speak. Great stuff!
For some dumbass reason, this is the sole Jazzkammer in this home. What other do I need? Any key albums?

EyeSquared

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 06, 2020, 12:08:56 PM
Temple of Tiermes master tape
Was going through endless piles of assorted crap and found tape of long lost session of Temple Of Tiermes. Back in 1995 I was member in first version of T o T with J.Toivoinen. This odd ethno industrial track that can be heard being listened never made it any of releases. It included also another Unholy member as guest. I recall only one short track of this material - probably half an hour recording only made to widely available releases. It was 2nd track on this tape. Wall of harsh bass noise and guitar shredding. Tracks were all different and often challenging to listen to. Digitizing it and lets see if something makes it to public eventially... Sessions were quite nasty, and evolved into Jarkko being kicked out from his apartment for blasting earsplittering noise for extended periods of time. Human skull percussion sessions emptied piles of skull content to floors and various others occupational hazards happened during sessions.
So after some talk, turns out the very debut ToT tape will be reissued now with 30 mins of unheard material of the sessions.

As a huge fan of Unholy, this is something I cannot wait to hear.

Spectral Burn

Having recently spoken with a couple of SE members (shoutout Soddy & Mikko) about review-length album/tape write-ups on the Noise Now Playing FB group, I've decided to start posting up the little blurbs that I include with my posts.
I've been on a huge Hands To/Jeph Jerman kick lately, so you'll be seeing quite a bit about some HT releases over the next little while.

Hands To - Q'ojfa (C90, Big Body Parts, 1987)

And so it begins.

Anybody who knows me may know that Hands To is my all-time favourite sound project. What Jeph Jerman tapped into/conjured up in the eighties and ESPECIALLY the nineties is some of the most indecipherable, baffling, yet somehow entirely familiar sonic carvings ever committed to tape.
This is the first Hands To release, and sees the project in full group mode, featuring a number of Colorado weirdos (including JJ's City Of Worms bandmates Ericson & Beckner).
The A-side is nearly 45 minutes of ecstatic, cavernous scrapscrape, with only the short "Incindiaries" punctuating the New Blockaders-in-a-desert-cave festivities.
The B-side is slightly more varied. The "Decomposition" tracks add warped tape/vocals to the now-familiar junk crashing, and REALLY push the capabilities of low-fidelity sound to it's extreme. "Scissorsound" is a shockingly strange piece of chopped/mashed vocals that will eventually become a recurring technique spanning multiple tapes/LPs.
Definitely a strange first effort, and significantly more raw than the tape immediately following it (the better known "Do Not Touch Them").

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: EyeSquared on October 09, 2020, 01:11:27 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 06, 2020, 12:08:56 PM
Temple of Tiermes master tape
Was going through endless piles of assorted crap and found tape of long lost session of Temple Of Tiermes. Back in 1995 I was member in first version of T o T with J.Toivoinen. This odd ethno industrial track that can be heard being listened never made it any of releases. It included also another Unholy member as guest. I recall only one short track of this material - probably half an hour recording only made to widely available releases. It was 2nd track on this tape. Wall of harsh bass noise and guitar shredding. Tracks were all different and often challenging to listen to. Digitizing it and lets see if something makes it to public eventially... Sessions were quite nasty, and evolved into Jarkko being kicked out from his apartment for blasting earsplittering noise for extended periods of time. Human skull percussion sessions emptied piles of skull content to floors and various others occupational hazards happened during sessions.
So after some talk, turns out the very debut ToT tape will be reissued now with 30 mins of unheard material of the sessions.

As a huge fan of Unholy, this is something I cannot wait to hear.

This is now in press, together with Mania posthumous unreleased album that was completed just before Keith died. Umpio new album. Two Government Alpha reissues, both Jaakko Vanhala CD represses.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

New Forces

Yes, please post good "Noise Now Playing" reviews here, I can't stand to be on Facebook!
New Forces

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Spectral Burn

Quote from: New Forces on October 09, 2020, 05:51:40 PM
Yes, please post good "Noise Now Playing" reviews here, I can't stand to be on Facebook!

I hear you. If it weren't for that group, I wouldn't use FB at all. Absolutely miserable place.

Hands To - Maesh (C60, Big Body Parts, 1988)

The cover is a good indicator of the sounds contained within. Is it some hideous body noises? Abstracted landscapes? Something else entirely? Damned if I know.

This tape (along with Invesh) represents a more sparse, minimal side of the early Hands To sound.
The A-side is slightly more varied than the latter, with "Salivicid", "Randine", and "Sayaw Cleath" functioning as a less-active take on the classic HT nature-swirl loop haven. "Bomach" is quasi-industrial, with a rhythmic, shurtering scrape holding it all down. "Cardience" is the strangest piece on the tape, sounding like a field recording of a park from inside a block of ice.
Things get even more minimal on the B-side.
"Sonates", for my money, is the standout piece for the entire tape, with amp buzz malfunctions fighting primitive tape manipulations. The "Degenach" tracks barely exist, and "Wescame" sounds like an engine-room recording inside of the world's smallest freight train.

Hands To - Decesh (C60, Big Body Parts, 1988)

A sonic outlier in the HT discography.

Oh man, what to say about this tape.
Sure, you've got some of the more familiar sounds Jeph is known to employ (the crumbling, churning "Skaw"), and some full-bodied tape noise ("Feated" & "Salivones"), but it's the two long, droning tracks that open each side that sound unlike anything else in the Hands To catalogue.
A-side opener "Heone Trach" is all pitched-down rhythmic pops with a rotten, disgusting trumpet "performance" by Michael Moynihan (of Blood Axis/Coup De Grace fame).
"Bothum" though. Goddamn. I don't really have the words to describe how gorgeous this piece of shimmering, airy organic drone is. The sonic equivalent of staring into a late summer sun, perhaps?

absurdexposition

Quote from: Spectral Burn on October 09, 2020, 07:50:55 PM

I hear you. If it weren't for that group, I wouldn't use FB at all. Absolutely miserable place.

I was loving that group, too, but I also really need to get off of that website. Trying to only login to post updates to the distro group these days. So if more of the conversation could come here, that would be most welcome. I will say though that the amount of conversation it sparked just by merely existing is amazing.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

New Forces

Decesh is one of my favorites in the Hands To discography, and it's for that precise reason - the longer drone pieces that verge on almost melodic content. There's a similar track on Christage as well.
New Forces

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Baglady

Quote from: New Forces on October 09, 2020, 10:01:54 PM
Decesh is one of my favorites in the Hands To discography, and it's for that precise reason - the longer drone pieces that verge on almost melodic content. There's a similar track on Christage as well.

Christage is a favorite of mine as well. And speaking of that Sound Of Pig trilogy, I think Mose Wreck has a similar sidelong hypnotic piece, if I recall correctly. I'll have to revisit. Can't imagine I'll stumble upon these old BBP releases anytime soon, but good to know there's more of the "almost drone" thing that early on in the Hands To discography.

WORTH - Roosting In Death-Sized Horn CDR (Prose Nagge, 2020
Some sinister backwoods witchery going on here. Swampy wet venomous spitting noise. Headless hens running amok, eyes spinning backwards, nails, frogs, altars, crazy sex and all that. A voodoo seance gone terribly wrong. Lunacy. He's more harsh than usual on this one, mr Van Gorder, and rather straight forward. The trademark bent and mishandled sounds are still present though, and as usual, it sounds as if he's trying to flush down all his gear in the toilet. Sluuuurp. One of this years highlights this far, no doubt. Also looking forward to the Oculus 2CD. Hope to see a new full length on vinyl soon though!

cr

This afternoon I'm listening to all Pogrom and Budrūs records I have, you Liberal Cunts.
I've just one question: Where's Levas?

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A PROSTHETICS CD
Spastik Kommunikations
I tend to like releases with "proper covers". It can be professional, or DIY handmade etc. Yet there is charm in some of the cheap sleeves too. This CD was probably like this most of all to be cheap to produce and light weight to carry on tour. Being tour release, I guess big part of pressing just disappeared somewhere in hand of people who are barely involved in "scene" now?
I am forever fanboy of Death Squad, and Radiosonde is great too. When Chaper 23 played in Lahti/Finland, his synth burned due wrong voltage, and he just played SP-303 (or 202) with sounds he prepared during week stay in Finland.

N.F.H./Green Army Fraction CD
Cathartic Process
Not often in my cd player, but it is really good one. At least feels like it now. Bigger line-up scratching and banging. No G.A.F. Style post-industrial/pe type things at all. Experimental, organic sounds mixed with synthetic tones. Good.

Oro!Oro!"Prarastos Žiemos" CD
Autarkeia
another ambient/drone project I always kept in stock at the distribution, but never really talked with anyone who has paid attention to it. Until now one friend said he was just listening same artists as I was! Simple, slowly shifting waves of harmonic drones. One of the examples, that when you have taken something for granted - like Autarkaia putting out golden disc CD's of ambient items... and suddenly label stops... and year later feeling there could be more of this type of things!

Der Manrz CDR.
Monotype (Jap)
3 track cd ep from 2006. Imagine mr. Government Alpha and Montage playing massive heavy crushing "power electronics", which is like Control meets... well, Government Alpha?! Dark and heavy bass loaded synth tones, multilayered, structured, yet also angle of harsh noise on it. Almost 15 years ago edition of 70 was done, mr. Ground Fault has one available via discogs for cheap price...

Hazard "Lech" CD
Malignant
1996 BJNilsen works. Now he tends to do stuff under other names, but this first Hazard is really nice "hands on approach" feeling post-industrial / dark ambient. Should probably take closer look to his more recent TAPE DECAY release on Narcolepsia! I recall listening, but no other recollections...

After someone posted on Facebook "Noise playing now" group about  naj, I digged up the original copy of the pure disc I have. Really good stuff. Vastly better than I remembered.
I recall asking RRRon years ago how did the naj and other discs sell. He just concluded that those bands you know, sells well, those you don't know or remember, don't sell that well. Hah.. well, that's logical, of course, but knowing how most of unknown non-name pure releases rule, one could recommend to grab any of the titles you know nothing of.
Another amusing fact is that Sudden Infant "solothurn" was not sent to be CD on Pure. Joke told once he sent master to be tape on RRR, and then a bit later received bunch of royalty CD's. When you listen the tape, it is good - but somehow obvious that it was meant to be two sides of tape. not a "proper album".
Historically, the old pressings are great, since if you bought them back when they originally came out, some inserts were included in some copies. Very first ones may have some individually designed inserts, all had catalogue of discs that were available and discs that were upcoming. It is interesting to see all those names of releases that never happened. I suppose some guys never sent the masters. Some may have been just rejected.

Eric La Casa. "Air.Ratio" cd
Sounds as if Chop Shop rusty hum would be longer fragments than they tend to be. La Casa collected during 3 years, 30 cuts of mechanical air ventilation systems. Each piece is really good. Absolutely essential!

Seed Mouth "Titanic" CD
from 1996. Longest one, the opening track, really nice ambient with industrial flavor to it. The noisier tracks not so amazing. Worth of money for the first track alone. And what a "classy" 90's design, haha! Should not laugh, since I did quite some releases back in 90's that are definitely not eyecandy now...

Illusion Of Safety ‎– In Opposition To Our Acceleration CD
I have been such a fan of Illusion Safety, that I may blindly buy their items. Trusting it would be good. But I am not such fan that anything they do, would appeal to me. This CD has been long in my shelves, but I had no recollections how it was. Probably because after this listening session will happen what happened last time I listened this. It will be filed back, with no intent to return anytime soon. It has some good stuff here, but while some of the sounds, layering and ideas are good, the sound itself is the computer era. Or not necessary even all computer. It is early 2000's live gigs collected on CD. Some gigs are better than the others. Some could have been rejected. Now that there are 70+ minutes of material, there would have been possible to be more picky.
Some tracks even glitchy, or having these imperfections that could be good if they were raw imperfections, but.... not on this one. Maybe one day this will click in positive way, so not getting rid of it yet...
Both Excellent cd's and compositionally totally opposite.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net