PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[MBD]

Quote from: WCN on May 19, 2020, 08:46:33 PMThere are no others.
I stand corrected, Pat is in a league of his own.

Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction

whiteheatnoise

Actually, they were dubbed onto Type II/hi bias tapes, not Type I/Ferric tapes.

Quote from: Baglady on May 19, 2020, 08:27:49 PM
Quote from: [MBD] on May 19, 2020, 06:54:47 PM
Paranoid Time - Pinched Sack 2xCS (Skeleton Dust Recordings)
type IV's is a plus
They're on ferric tape. I can see how the shells might lure you to think metal though. Either way, knockout stuff, I love Pinched Sack as well.

Baglady

Quote from: whiteheatnoise on May 20, 2020, 06:02:31 PM
Actually, they were dubbed onto Type II/hi bias tapes, not Type I/Ferric tapes.

Quote from: Baglady on May 19, 2020, 08:27:49 PM
Quote from: [MBD] on May 19, 2020, 06:54:47 PM
Paranoid Time - Pinched Sack 2xCS (Skeleton Dust Recordings)
type IV's is a plus
They're on ferric tape. I can see how the shells might lure you to think metal though. Either way, knockout stuff, I love Pinched Sack as well.
My turn to stand corrected!

ConcreteMascara

Masayuki Takayanagi & Abe Kaoru - 解体的交感 CD - Craftman Records - got this CD with several other psych/avant/noise CDs Japan in the mail yesterday. It's my first listen to Takayanagi or Kaoru, and really my first intentional listen to free jazz that I can remeber. I know both of these guys are important figures of the free jazz/improv scenes, that they're both dead now, and like most Japanese artists most of their stuff is expensive. The last month has been a lot of Solmania and PSF related stuff so I think I went into this as ready to hear it as a I could. But what does it sound like? Some dude torturing a sax (and occasionally clarinet and harmonica) and another dude abusing a guitar, but with minimal distortion. Like two noisy alley cats being strangled in each channel, kind of. It's exactly what I expected noisy free jazz to sound like, but I liked it better than I thought I would. It's legitimately torturous listening in parts, not dissimilar to stripped down Solmania tracks or some Hijokaidan. I can't say if it's good compared to other free jazz but I can say I'm not just gonna shelve it for a decade. I expect to be giving it a fair amount of spins before I'm off this kick. Also sorta worth mentioning, I got copy of the Ultra High Quality CD pressing and while I haven't heard a different CD version of this album to compare the clarity/fidelity, I can say that it seems like this sounds really good...... for what that's worth. I need a UHQCD of something I've heard a million times to see what if any difference the UHQCD process makes, but I'm also quite sure my hearing is too damaged to notice the difference.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Bruitiste

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 20, 2020, 09:27:33 PM
Masayuki Takayanagi & Abe Kaoru - 解体的交感 CD - Craftman Records - got this CD with several other psych/avant/noise CDs Japan in the mail yesterday. It's my first listen to Takayanagi or Kaoru, and really my first intentional listen to free jazz that I can remeber. I know both of these guys are important figures of the free jazz/improv scenes, that they're both dead now, and like most Japanese artists most of their stuff is expensive. The last month has been a lot of Solmania and PSF related stuff so I think I went into this as ready to hear it as a I could. But what does it sound like? Some dude torturing a sax (and occasionally clarinet and harmonica) and another dude abusing a guitar, but with minimal distortion. Like two noisy alley cats being strangled in each channel, kind of. It's exactly what I expected noisy free jazz to sound like, but I liked it better than I thought I would. It's legitimately torturous listening in parts, not dissimilar to stripped down Solmania tracks or some Hijokaidan. I can't say if it's good compared to other free jazz but I can say I'm not just gonna shelve it for a decade. I expect to be giving it a fair amount of spins before I'm off this kick. Also sorta worth mentioning, I got copy of the Ultra High Quality CD pressing and while I haven't heard a different CD version of this album to compare the clarity/fidelity, I can say that it seems like this sounds really good...... for what that's worth. I need a UHQCD of something I've heard a million times to see what if any difference the UHQCD process makes, but I'm also quite sure my hearing is too damaged to notice the difference.

The Takayanagi to get is Mass Projection, which is really dense stuff, and also April Is The Cruellest Month is fantastic.

Strangecross

Incapacitants and TADM present Stocks & Bonds
It could be a good time to invest in some stocks.
Does anyone else listen to noise as loud as possible while taking their car through an extravagant car wash with multicolored wax and flashing lights?

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Strangecross on May 21, 2020, 09:25:30 PM
Does anyone else listen to noise as loud as possible while taking their car through an extravagant car wash with multicolored wax and flashing lights?

I prefer drum & bass for automated car washes, but harsh noise will do in a pinch.
[death|trigger|impulse]

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A "SEXORAMA" 5x TAPE
Statutory tape
I was talking with friend about this comp when listening first of the tapes, urging him to order one. I had feeling that RRR has ALWAYS sold these. But... no. And according to discogs, these are NOT cheap anymore. Not at all. Time just flies too fast. RRR still sells some of the other boxes. Best of GROSS, Journey Into Pain, etc.
Sexorama was early 90's reissue 5 x cassette box set compiling cult industrial / noise compilations done by Masami Akita is the 80's. Not only artist lists are kind of who-is-who of the tape scene noise of the time, but also utterly brilliant material and most of all juicy s e x noise!
I am quite sure Masami would not want to touch sleazy stuff anymore. Perhaps even some artists would not consider these their greatest achievements - but this would REALLY make so great CD collection, especially if the original 80's booklets were reproduced. It captures specific era and spirit so greatly, and if tapes are this expensive, reissue would be certainly appreciated.

Sexorama was such a treat, one feels tempted to re-listen whole 5h glory instantly, but moving into other things.
OP RECHTS "Murderer Report" LP
This Swizz early 90's obscurity isn't talked much. Full A-side of synth buzz and Eg Gein information narrated... Who would not love it? The glory of old time ki11ers is never ending. If someone today would make song influenced by someone like Ed Kemper, could you turn it down as "dated" or "done". No way. Kemper is immortal as subject. Ed Gein not bad either.
For fans of power electronics, this LP certainly good grab if you find it for reasonable price.

How good can "PE compilations" get? Early days set quite a damn high strandard. Neuengamme, I got both of the LP versions and some tape boot - just in case. White Power comp same thing. Neither the LP nor tape I have, is 100% legit, but one of those "dubs in circulation" back in the 90's and the nice sounding LP bootleg. Listening the Sutcliffe Jugend and thinking how come pretty much nobody has so striking and ripping vocal performances in contemporary power electronics?
I know it is not completely healthy to cling on the past, BUT sometimes the best things would be good to keep available, as reminder of level where newbies should be able to answer.
Not so long ago I was listening Consumer Electronics The Weight / Hostility Blues 7" thinking mr. Best still got the skills. Fucking ripping 7". I did not like so much previous recordings, but that 7" made me want to check something what they may having upcoming....

More compilation vinyls.
First was two kind of "not so classic" albums. I don't think I ever heard anyone praise Contact #1 or Dark side of the brain LP's. Contact #1 has some very good stuff on it. Contagious Orgasm, MSBR,..  Dark Side... less of great, but there are some personal things... like how critical one could be of Endorphine Factory LP release? Of course I NEED it, despite it ain't that phenomenal...
Natural Order 2xLP, I had recollection that it could be better. Well, there is not THAT man 100% perfect albums that could not be better. However, despite I won't say that anyone here would have submitted their absolute greatest songs into this 2xLP box set - as a whole, it is really good and much better than how it felt back when it came out. Anenzephalia, Con-Dom, GO, Grey wolves, Inade, Thorofon, A Swarm of Locusts... indeed, A LOT of great stuff here!

Frenzy with vinyl compilations continue. I guess it feels now I should just go through all of them. Listened few that didn't feel was noisy enough to report. Late 80's Old Europa Cafe LP had nice Gerogerigegege track, but mostly Italian odd gothic music. Comp with NWW, Bushido, Legendary Pink Dots and Konstruktivists, was also too pop-esque... but these three - no complaints!

Heilige Feuer compilation. This came as both LP and CD, is great reminder of 20 years ago, when band like Reutoff, Sal Solaris, Deutsch Nepal and such were saluted as absolute highlights and best out there. Not to mention Der Blutharsh and Genocide Organ! I can't remember last time I heard someone mention Reutoff? This does not indicate that band would be bad, but this type of atmospheric post-industrial, with fairly full- & clean production values seems to exists far far away in abother subgenre bubble, nothing to do with "noise" or "raw power electronics". Either that, or these may not be so hot... Reutoff here sounds as if he used massive cinematic keyboard tones and mixed it with looped Aube sounds?! He probably did those sounds himself, but there is this one loop that sounds exactly like fragment of early Aube water works...

Ultrason compilation LP includes also fairly musical industrial stuff. Especially Maruta Kommand was project who produced almost "pure" EMB at times. Militia, Folkstorm, Schloss Tegal, nice stuff. Aged fairly well, although compilation is by no means classic...
Statement LP, not Neuengamme, but there is no complaints from me. 1984 Broken Flag has the emerging guitar useage appearing, but it is noisy and fierce release with great balance and intense tracks from several classic acts.

4 LP presses of Xenophobic Ejaculation a.k.a. "XE". 18, Black hole and Vala double all appear somehow better on LP. Despite I was almost hesitating do I actually NEED the vinyls of stuff I have already CD, and some also on tape... but glad I did. LP format, with flipping sides, somehow gives good shape for this material. I think the early stuff is still best of XE. Since then material starts to bleed heavily into other F&V sound. It's hard to really say why somethings is XE and not some other F&V roster artist name. Fierce, unpleasant, blunt and primitive.

And more compilation revisited:
Die Geburt Des Jahrtausends LP on Steinklang. Krieger, Legion Condor, Operation Julmon, all feel somehow lazy compared to better tracks of Sektion B, Leiche Rustikal and Rasthof Dachau. There is very much the early 2000's Steinklang feel to this.

Japanoise of Death LP. Also Steinklang, impressive line-up, but there is something here why I never rated this along the very greats of Japanese noise compilations. Many tracks are great, like Incapacitants, K2,... and more.. but there are also couple tracks thrown there that are way below good. Normally, good comp can survive bunch of lazier tracks, but somehow this always has something unexplained why it just doen't hit me like it... "should". Listened this twice now, and my conclusion remain the same. Good, but not great. Can't explain why.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

collapsedhole

^
re: contact #1 LP..... there may be one, but as of now i am struggling to think of a better MSBR track then ''fire wall''...!

absurdexposition

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 23, 2020, 09:29:15 AM
Not so long ago I was listening Consumer Electronics The Weight / Hostility Blues 7" thinking mr. Best still got the skills. Fucking ripping 7". I did not like so much previous recordings, but that 7" made me want to check something what they may having upcoming....

The 7" is good and I really liked the double LP, Airless Space that came out after (last year). Carnage Mechanics is an incredible track.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

ConcreteMascara

The Cathode Terror Secretion ‎– Spectre Of Historys Design LP - RRRecords 2009 - Haven't pulled this off the shelf in a while but as soon as the needle hit the groove I was reminded of why I loved these guys soo much. Only got to see them twice but the combination of weird, kinda-shitty PC electronics with unhinged vocals is just so good. too bad this was their last hurrah together. their 3" CD songs were powerviolence short, this LP is more akin to grindcore, i.e. just a little longer. each side flows together seamlessly. maybe I could say they're US power electronics take on mid 90s Masonna? or a more spastic precursor to Private Archive (what ever happened to them?) obviously different but I get the same kinds of feelings while listening. Surprisingly there's a lyrics sheet and even better the lyrics are fucking good. the cover art is nice and clean, reminds me of the Alex Rutterford's art for Autechre. The insert art is a mixed bag, definitely feels aged. Sci-fi vibes from both. a great LP and still available from RRR, although I will say I'll always prefer the stupid loud, super fast 3" CD the most.

Kinbakushi ‎– Construction Site Bondage tape - IOPS 2020 - I haven't listened to original Kinbakushi tape in a bit but I remembered it as a lot of screeching and drums so I was expecting more of that here. While it's certainly a part, this tape has some straight up sexy rock n roll vibes. Not so much construction site bondage as leather bar backroom fun. Or maybe that says more about me? Either way very nicely constructed on both sides, with varying amounts of drums, guitar, screech and surging DIY electronics. or at least that I hear. I don't think some Brainbombs style vocals would be too out of place either. the packaging on this is really nice and I'm sure expensive, but I appreciate that even for a c20 the extra effort is here because it's one of the things that makes the best IOPS releases stand out and stand alone.

V/A - Riddle of Lumen CD - FMN Sound Factory 1995 - I picked this up in my new quest to track down a copy of every compilation with a Solmania track. I had no real expectations since I knew none of the other artists save Otomo Yoshihide, and I only knew him by name. Solmania is the only true harsh noise but their track is balls to the wall. it starts and ends with savage screaming (more of this please) and has all the fucked up guitar noise one could want. definitely one of the better Solmania comp contributions I've heard so far. but U, Peregrini and the first Yoshihide track are pretty raucous as well. The rest is all over the place with some psych rock, spastic jazz rock and chiller "art rock" type stuff. the vibe is less PSF psych and more Boredoms or Melt-Banana influenced. Weird shit but a fun listen that I don't regret getting. for those who want to try something different, grip this one.

Clinic Of Torture ‎– Rohrstockliebe - IOPS 2020 - oh man that a-side! harsh "synth" in the mid & bass range, whistling feedback, muffled bdsm. it's "classic" COT while sounding updated from the projects first release 20 years ago (!!!). b-side is more blown out but maybe a tad melodic? This one is up there with Whip and Pierce and Slavesex as the best COT to my ears. And the bad scanning VHS image style in the booklet is perfect.

Silence Of Vacuum ‎– 6: The Rubberist - IOPS 2020 - I don't think I can say much. If you fuck with Silence of Vacuum then you know what you're getting. single-minded vacuum drone worship. the sound is closest to the first 2 tapes, but not quite as static. Again, this IOPS box with color booklet is too nice! Save yourself some money and skip an old issue or two of Atomage and get this.

V/A - Taste Of Wild West 3 CD - Wax Records 1990 - another compilation I grabbed for Solmania but with a line-up this good anyone should grab it. It alternates between Japanese psych rock heavy hitters and Alchemy Records noise masters. Every name is a big name. Sadly the Solmania track doesn't blow me away, but it's nice to hear early, solo era Solmania stuff. But the closing Hijokaidan monster track coming in at 27 minutes is soo goddamn good!! And so is the epic Angel'in Heavy Syrup track which goes from chill psych to more rocking stuff. Only one I'm not into is the Boredoms track, but I just can't seem to break into what they do. I just got this so I've only had two listens but it I feel like it's damn fine document of Japanese noise and psych in 1990. The only thing that could make it better is something with Michio Kurihara.
[death|trigger|impulse]

pentd

KM Toepfer - Undercut // tape on absurd exposition
algorithm / programming (?)  material... wavefolding feedbacks, cool balance between surgical and messy electronix. side a piercing and crackling, side b also, but a bit more into fuzzy harshness... not low rumbles, but treble ripping. but c'mon, how many "untitled" are there already... cook up some track titles next

JSH - Körperlich//  tribe tape
a wall of HNW! slowly evolving and constantly crunching

lots of french jazz... anything with marc ducret, mario costa, emile parisienne, peter bruun... far out cats, as mike watt would say.

ConcreteMascara

Meat Beat Manifesto - Armed Audio Warfare CD - Run Recordings 2003 - I got this CD when I was 16, scouring my local Tower Records for anything "industrial".  I knew MBM from older sister's recommendation and The Matrix soundtrack, and the Chemical Brothers' Brother's Gonna Work It Out Mix. This blew me away when I heard it, partially because it's all over the map! You've got white guy rapping, turntablism, screeching feedback, brutal drum machines, breakbeats, sometimes all in the same track. It's fucking nuts and it does a level of genre hoping that I could only expect from the bravest artists today! I can't compare to other MBM because I've never heard another MBM release, but the mid section of this comp from I Got the Fear to (Strap Down) Give Your Body Its Freedom crushes. It's a bit dated but it goes hard as hell. 16 years later and this one still puts a big fucking smile on my face... and brings back some crazy memories. Maybe I should finally check out some other MBM records?

Thirdorgan / Diesel Guitar ‎– Futuredestroyer / Tahiti 7" - Fever Pitch Music 1995 - It's all about the Diesel Guitar side but before I gush hard let's talk Thirdorgan. Thirdorgan's track is hash but not unpleasantly so active harsh noise with lots of wandering stereo panning. No extreme shriek or crunch, just midrange abuse. Good but not mind-blowing. Having only heard Thirdorgan here and on comps I'd love to hear one of his good full-lengths which seems impossible without spending some serious money. annoying. Diesel Guitar though, oh man. I was expecting something softer and more drone-y, but this is tense and building. Or maybe narrowing? Almost like listening to an engine in a cone shaped turbine, being pushed towards the smallest point.. Not harsh sonically, but the feeling is unpleasant. And it has this very ephemeral quality that makes listening and describing like trying to explain the way a dream made you feel, long after waking or deja vu. I listened to this 7" 10 times in the last week and I still can't conjure the sounds in my head. So I'll have to listen and listen again hoping to capture the experience in my mind but failing to do so. What I mean to say is this 7" achieves the ultimate goal, it forces you to play it again and again and again.
[death|trigger|impulse]

ConcreteMascara

不失者 ‎– 不失者 1st 2xCD - PSF 1997 - 6 years after listening to Fushitsusha for the first time, specifically track 1.3 すきにやればいい, I finally own this album. I've written several times about how I ordered this album and received The Time is Nigh instead, which through me for a loop. Since then I've been slowly buying up the '90s 不失者 albums, most of which fall closer to The Time is Nigh than this album. I've been laboring under the impression that aside from  すきにやればいい, Fushitsusha primarily offered variations of soul rending inferno. And I mean that literally, the sound of Fushitsusha is one of your or their "souls" being taken/cast/torn from the body and cast elsewhere. If I can say it without sounding completely asinine, it's metaphysical or at the very least existential music. It demands attentive listening with no other distractions.
But then there's 不失者 1st. Finally hearing the whole thing for the first time last night, I am utterly blown away by how grounded and human it all sounds. It feels much closer to true blues than black-pillar-of-light-hell-inferno. It's so easy to listen to I could imagine playing it for friends! It's absolutely amazing but it's pleasant too. Who could have thought? I guess I'm the last one in on this, so everyone else thought. And to my slight surprise track 1.3 すきにやればいい is the best of the bunch. Legitamtely sad music, but not in the mopey faux-emotional way, but true reflective sorrow as an 11 minute blues piece. I challenge you to listen and feel nothing.

I suppose it's hard to talk about Fushitusha or Keiji Haino in a way that does make you sound like a dandy fop, maybe because in my mind they epitomize "Art" in such an obvious way. But to be fair I think myself or Force Neurotic or Bloated Slutbag can wax poetic just as easily about "scum" noise easily.

Government Alpha ‎– Structural Contradiction 3xcassette - Black Horizons 2019 - the really classy design of this release is immediately noteworthy. a tall 3xcassette box, the insert gives you 7 collages in that GA style on big panels. the insert is a little big on mine so the pages are slightly warped, but thats a minor thing. Slime green tapes with only hexagon symbols to indicate which is what. music wise, and I'm no GA expert by a long shot, is lots of squiggly harshness. the first tape is probably my favorite because it feels a bit heavier and little bit sharper with dynamics. I think its Side D that just felt lazy for a bit, but picked up again. the live sets on the 3rd tape fit in well with the studio stuff and aren't overly long. it's a nice detour from the types of harsh sounds I normally listen to, as they're less shriek-y and more playful and squiggly for lack of a better word. a less hateful approach to harsh perhaps?
[death|trigger|impulse]

cr

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 29, 2020, 06:44:04 PM
不失者 ‎– 不失者 1st 2xCD - PSF 1997 - 6 years after listening to Fushitsusha for the first time, specifically track 1.3 すきにやればいい, I finally own this album. I've written several times about how I ordered this album and received The Time is Nigh instead, which through me for a loop. Since then I've been slowly buying up the '90s 不失者 albums, most of which fall closer to The Time is Nigh than this album. I've been laboring under the impression that aside from  すきにやればいい, Fushitsusha primarily offered variations of soul rending inferno. And I mean that literally, the sound of Fushitsusha is one of your or their "souls" being taken/cast/torn from the body and cast elsewhere. If I can say it without sounding completely asinine, it's metaphysical or at the very least existential music. It demands attentive listening with no other distractions.
But then there's 不失者 1st. Finally hearing the whole thing for the first time last night, I am utterly blown away by how grounded and human it all sounds. It feels much closer to true blues than black-pillar-of-light-hell-inferno. It's so easy to listen to I could imagine playing it for friends! It's absolutely amazing but it's pleasant too. Who could have thought? I guess I'm the last one in on this, so everyone else thought. And to my slight surprise track 1.3 すきにやればいい is the best of the bunch. Legitamtely sad music, but not in the mopey faux-emotional way, but true reflective sorrow as an 11 minute blues piece. I challenge you to listen and feel nothing.

I suppose it's hard to talk about Fushitusha or Keiji Haino in a way that does make you sound like a dandy fop, maybe because in my mind they epitomize "Art" in such an obvious way. But to be fair I think myself or Force Neurotic or Bloated Slutbag can wax poetic just as easily about "scum" noise easily.

Next on my list for this evening's listening session is Fushitsusha - Purple Trap 2CD (Blast First 1995) . This is and always will be one of my favourites.