PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

D Jackman – Herbstsonne
No small degree of anticipation greeted the formal announcement of this singular piece from the singular dronemeister. From the promo blurb alone, I knew I needed it. And needed it now. Well, now that I do have it deep in my hot little 'holes I can safely say, with no fear of contradiction, that the anticipation paid off. It would have to. That's the way anticipations of such insane degree work. If it weren't automatically worth it I'd be forced to kill myself. And kill myself now.
   But, as I'm sure you'll have not failed to notice, I'm not quite dead. Can't speak for what will transpire at the end of this commentary.
   Let me start by trying to parse why this particular offering generated all that internal hoopla. One word: tanpura. The last time I'd encountered the word, and the instrument, was via the quietly gorgeous Sorow under the Organum monicker. Sorow, following in the mold of the previous Omega, was a victory lap after the successful completion of the Amen-Sanctus-Omega trilogy. A victory lap somewhat dampened by the more recent, more headscratch-worthy, Raven. Quoth the promo blurb, "Herbstsonne consists of a single 47 min. long track", the promising longform presentation also consistent with Sorow.
   For further reference, let me again quote the promo blurb (as usual, the disc and accompanying sleeve don't say jack shit). Herbstsonne uses "the sounds of Tanpura, Piano, Organ and Bells". But where in Sorow the organ is quite dominant, here it is significantly stripped back, allowing the tanpura to really set the tone- reminiscent of the brief, quieter passages of Omega. Measured, delicate pluckings underscore a restrained easterly headwind, the constant twangy drone very slowly breathing and exhaling through a hushed field only occasionally visited by the Piano, Organ and Bells. When they do visit it is in mighty pounding chords, swells, clangs, Gloria! Sanctus! Omega! Amen! all but obliterating the tanpura, but then only for the fleeting-est moments as the echoing thunder dissipates in the wake of steadily resurgent twang, church bells faintly doling out their assurances, melancholic strain of organ fluttering into the shadow, steadily melting hints of divinity, nirvana, wavering in the distance.
       Ultimately, what you are getting is not far from what has been got for the last several Organum offerings. Amen. Sanctus. Omega. Sorow. Raven. Herbstsonne. The sound color across this spectrum is so similar that one could almost suggest these as a constituting a single long series of alternate takes or mixes of the same session. Remix might be the wrong term. Perhaps, re-spacing. Or re-shaping. Certainly, a considerable degree of re-arranging. Here one element is added (tanpura). There another is reduced (organ). Differing relations with time, space, contrast, convergence. The tapestry of elements is nevertheless so rich as to offer so much within its folds. As though this- the "Tanpura, Piano, Organ and Bells" is the full orchestra put into play, and into which endless variations may so satisfyingly elaborate.
   As to what you're not getting, well, conspicuously less of the lush, full-flavored, droning depths that so saturate the Organum palate proper. Possibly here a hint as to why the Jackman solo credit, who can say? I can say that lush of a different sort prevails, full and flavorsome depths divined through shifting elements in continuous convergence and dialog with one another. A politeness, a distance duly accorded the myriad hue and shade. In this regard, Herbstsonne could be one of the most classically musical projects proffered by the inscrutable source, under any name. Something I never would have consciously anticipated, and something that only feeds my delirious anticipations of more to come.

edit
the above now significantly altered per my mood of the moment
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

acsenger

I also really like Herbstsonne by David Jackman. It's like a companion piece to Organum's recent Raven. I also don't quite understand why it came out under Jackman's name and not Organum, but it's not important after all.

While I like the "classic" Organum sound, I'm also a big fan of the 7"s that came out in the early-to-mid-2000s (Die Letzte Musik Vor Dem Krieg, Ein Schwärzeres Schwarz, the Organum/Jackman split) which depart from Organum's previous sound and combine a few simple elements (some of them musical, some of them not) to create fantastic and unique pieces. I still have to get Valentin and Feldzug/Stumpf (although this one might still be scraping/droning Organum).

Zeno Marx

From a steady stream of Agathocles and Blood to industrial crust and metal [Depressor, Christdriver, Mortified, Gutural (ex-Ruido De Rabia), Dead World, Vivisect (Yugoslavia)] to Contrastic (their 1st album is unique and interesting] to Def.Master and Multiplex to Catasexual Urge Motivation and Vampiric Motives.  I didn't realize Bizarre Leprous Productions did a massive 5CD series of Catasexual Urge Motivation tapes etc.  Looks like they've been a little active in the past couple years along with Sadistic Lingam Cult as well.

https://penetration82.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-forgotten-wasteland-industrial-crust.html
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Absolutely caning this new T.E.F. - Framework album which handily is on Spotify. Absolutely relentless fast paced harsh noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q76gEVRj0y8

bitewerksMTB

This week:

IRM ‎– Indications Of Nigredo 12" (Segerhuva)- s2 is the highlight with a slow build up with droning & metal sounds before the vocals kick in. This is a damn good release & it's hard to believe was still available from the label at a discounted price.

INCAPACITANTS - I, Residuum LP (Urashima)- This is one I never owned before. Pure chaos. Not sure what more needs to be said.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 29, 2019, 02:03:00 AMIRM ‎– Indications Of Nigredo 12" (Segerhuva)- s2 is the highlight with a slow build up with droning & metal sounds before the vocals kick in. This is a damn good release & it's hard to believe was still available from the label at a discounted price.

A definite ripper.
Shikata ga nai.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 29, 2019, 02:03:00 AM
INCAPACITANTS - I, Residuum LP (Urashima)- This is one I never owned before. Pure chaos. Not sure what more needs to be said.

Nothing. Obviously.

But to recall that it's some of the heavier shit they've offered up, to date. I mean, for any date. Um. Let 's say, taking cues from The Rita worshipped DDDD, plenty of that low-flying flatulence. Incaps filtered through the much exported turd-burglering sphinct-pipes. Crank that turd and feel it, deep, in the guts. In the bowels. As it was meant. Residual perv-visions ripping the holes a new set of cavities.
And take you for a drag

acsenger

Manuel Göttsching/Ash Ra TempelNew Age Of Earth (CD, Spalax Music)

Recorded in 1976. Ambient synth music with a great atmosphere. The two shorter tracks have very catchy melodies. Of the two longer tracks, the first one is perhaps not on the same level as the rest of the album, but it's still good. Except maybe for the very end of the last track where Göttsching plays the electric guitar, the album luckily has nothing to do with the previous Krautrock incarnation of Ash Ra Tempel (or at least it bears no resemblance to their Schwingungen album, the only one I know). I don't listen to ambient, but this album is an exception. There's even a part towards the beginning of the last track that reminds me of the synth track on Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.
Actually, I can thank Masonna for introducing me to this album: his Christine 23 Onna project has a CD with a cover that's a take on the cover of this album. I read about this on the net around 10 years ago, and I always meant to check out the Ash Ra Tempel album, but only did so recently. Better late than never.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: acsenger on June 29, 2019, 10:54:34 PM
Manuel Göttsching/Ash Ra TempelNew Age Of Earth (CD, Spalax Music)

Recorded in 1976. Ambient synth music with a great atmosphere. The two shorter tracks have very catchy melodies. Of the two longer tracks, the first one is perhaps not on the same level as the rest of the album, but it's still good. Except maybe for the very end of the last track where Göttsching plays the electric guitar, the album luckily has nothing to do with the previous Krautrock incarnation of Ash Ra Tempel (or at least it bears no resemblance to their Schwingungen album, the only one I know). I don't listen to ambient, but this album is an exception. There's even a part towards the beginning of the last track that reminds me of the synth track on Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.
Actually, I can thank Masonna for introducing me to this album: his Christine 23 Onna project has a CD with a cover that's a take on the cover of this album. I read about this on the net around 10 years ago, and I always meant to check out the Ash Ra Tempel album, but only did so recently. Better late than never.
Göttsching really is a fantastic guitar player and ear.  Arguably, he's a musical genius.  Of the original Ash Ra Tempel albums, Seven Up is the worst, but it also has one of the better krautrock stories with Timothy Leary's involvement.  I'm not your biggest fan of blues, though.  The s/t and Join Inn are better than Schwingungen, in case you're inclined to dig deeper.  Out of the Walter Wegmuller - Tarot sessions, came Join Inn.  And then came the Cosmic Courier super-sessions, which produced the Sergius Golowin album and five The Cosmic Jokers' albums.  I hope I have all that straight.  It's been a while.  Göttsching still has it, so just about every album has at least one good-to-great track.  For instance, Blackouts 1978 is a so-so album for most artists, and a weak album for Manuel Gottsching, though the final track, "Lotus Parts I-IV", is some quality cosmic psychedelia and close to vintage Gottsching.  Inventions for Electric Guitar is great and his best solo album.  Early Water is another great album.  I never have fully locked into E2-E4, which is his most acclaimed.  It's good, but I prefer others.  And then there's the massive Private Tapes collection.  I always point towards the track "Eloquentes Wiesel" for those curious.  It's phenomenal and quintessential Gottsching.  He's still active, and like Klaus Schulze, there's always a track on an album, or sequence in a live show, that will take you back and blow your mind.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

Masonna/Controlled Death (split tape, Trapdoor Tapes)

It looks like this 2018 recording is Masonna's first in 6 years. It's very different from his previous over the top, frantic noise: he screams much less and it blends in with the music a lot more than previously (so it's not in your face like before), and the music is not fast cut-up noise either. Gone are the psychedelic effects he used on some of his later albums too. Instead there's lots of reverb, and overall the music is much less harsh and busy and a lot simpler than before. I like it, but it's nowhere near outstanding.
The same can be said about the Controlled Death side too: you hear distorted synths playing simple, ominous themes. Just like the Masonna side, the music is very simple. There are some growl-like vocals towards the end.
While neither side is earth-shattering, not all music has to be, and this cheap-looking tape (the black and white xeroxed artwork can barely be made out) is a good release overall. It's hardly material that's worthy of a vinyl or CD release, but as a tape, it works well.

WCN

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on June 28, 2019, 11:00:08 AM
Absolutely caning this new T.E.F. - Framework album which handily is on Spotify. Absolutely relentless fast paced harsh noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q76gEVRj0y8

Not really a "cut-up guy," but this album is balm for the soul.
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: WCN on July 01, 2019, 01:24:35 PM

For additional caning, please see TEF's previous Dada Drumming missive, Consequences In Conversation. Good for a sense of how far the project has, and has not, progressed. Very much of the THANK YOU SIR, CAN I PLEASE HAVE SOME MORE! persuasion.
And take you for a drag

ConcreteMascara

Just picked this up last week from Dead Gods and on first listen it's almost too unrelenting. I mean there's not a misplaced second or sound, it's all very good but the level of detail and speed just wear my focus down pretty quick until I'm just sitting there letting it wash over me. which is good too, but for truly focused dissection, it's best to listen to it in parts.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 01, 2019, 05:34:53 PM

for truly focused dissection, it's best to listen to it in parts.

Most of my music consumption is minutes at a time on public transport/lunch hour/doing emails at work so it's absolutely perfect for that. Spotify is indispensable to me!

FreakAnimalFinland

FINAL SOLUTION "Mass Death" CD
Der Bunker
What a great surprise it was to see there was unreleased 1992 session of FS found somewhere! It's from old tape copy, therefore extra tape hiss.  Tasty FS assault has power that is rarely beaten by "newcomers". I may have said it many times, but it may be said again. While FS certainly is like americanized and "hardcore" version of Whitehouse, and while it is so simple to the core - how often you get to hear bands that would reach this intensity? Hardly ever. Excellent.

SATORI "Psychopathology" CD
SATORI "Dispossession" CD

COD label
Psychopathology is great! It is the missing twin of Satori CD published by Functional/Tesco long ago. Collects the rest of old original material.  80's UK industrial-noise with physical, raw and intense feel to it. Primitivism is all advantage here. Nobody does stuff like this these days. I don't feel it is nostalgic, but almost like step towards apocalyptic future, where "tech" is no longer available, and you got to make best out of what you can use from assorted scrap and waste electronics.

Dispossession in other hand, is 2018. And "tech" is available. Not bad. If I heard this 20 years ago, I would be probably blown away. Computer edited industrial music, where rhythms and echoes, efx and such are done "professionally". Yet it is so synthetic in a way that doesn't appeal to me nowadays too much. There is clear lineage of traditional old school industrial to this material, but I just don't get the same feeling from "edited" material as I get from something physically crafted. Plugin efx, digitally boosted sounds...  Not bad, but this is something I would listen as soundtrack of movie rather than album.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net