PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spectral Burn

First post. This is all stuff I've aquired recently in one form or another.

Skin Crime - The House On The Cliff LP (Self Abuse Records) - Side A is classic Skin Crime. Has a sound I can only describe as a "static swamp sizzle" throughout.  Side B eclipses the former with some of the best noise I've  ever heard period.

Merzbow - Hannover Interruption LP (Dradomel) - Hands down my favourite thing MA has ever done. THIS is true industrial. Cavernous, searing not-quite-junk-noise with lots of stereo panning.

Merzbow - Noisembryo double LP (Hospital Productions) - Not much I can say about this one that hasn't been said already, so I'll just mention that the bonus track, "Travelling", is one of the best from Metalvelodrome.

Masonna - Bursting Absolute Moods LP (Urashima) - First side is classic Maso. Lotsa short tracks that blend together into a beautiful blown out mess. Side two adds more vocals and water sounds(?). Essential for any Masonna fan.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Spectral Burn on June 18, 2019, 02:55:31 AM
Merzbow - Noisembryo double LP (Hospital Productions) - Not much I can say about this one that hasn't been said already, so I'll just mention that the bonus track, "Travelling", is one of the best from Metalvelodrome

Truth! Easily blows away the competition on the original comp. I recall that I picked it up for the Incaps, but stayed for the Merz. The ambientish opening seconds immediately communicate the awesomeness to come (and not to subsequently be matched... though the Incaps is about as brutal as one could hope).

Btw great first post.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

PedestrianOrgans

Encephalophonic - "Surgical Mods" CD (Freak Animal, 2019)

Good gravy. I'd been mostly familiar with Emanuele through collaboration projects like Selected Killing, so I finally got around to picking up some Encephalophonic stuff. This is an absolutely scalding display of masterful junk textures and meticulous feedback control, and I'm both incredibly impressed and addicted.

Soloman Tump

Currently listening to the Phase Fatale DJ mix for Truants Blog.
Artist and website may not be on the radar for most folks here, but he plays a good blend of industrial techno in a lot of club environments.  A tasty looking tracklisting here including Orphx, Alberich, Silent Servent, Ancient Methods etc...

Well worth checking out if you want 100 minutes of continuous beats to pummel your brain with.  There is a download link, interview and tracklisting on the page below

http://truantsblog.com/2019/truancy-volume-242-phase-fatale/

Zeno Marx

Acclimate - Dreams of a Mad Titan 2019 - moves from fluid ambient to something a lot more with old industrial sensibilities - listened to it twice in a row and then the next day.

Stelzer/Murray - Commuter 2019 - more ambient industrial of high quality, though not limited to; I wouldn't expect anything less from Brendan Murray - the big surprise, and savory treat, is the Zoviet France-like final track, "Let the Children Guard What the Sires Have Won"; at 27+ minutes, it's satisfying.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 19, 2019, 08:23:17 PM
Stelzer/Murray - Commuter 2019 - more ambient industrial of high quality, though not limited to; I wouldn't expect anything less from Brendan Murray - the big surprise, and savory treat, is the Zoviet France-like final track, "Let the Children Guard What the Sires Have Won"; at 27+ minutes, it's satisfying.

Just listened to this all the way through on bandcamp... WOW! Ordered a copy of the cassette. Thanks for the heads up!

urall

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on June 19, 2019, 09:30:48 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 19, 2019, 08:23:17 PM

Just listened to this all the way through on bandcamp... WOW! Ordered a copy of the cassette. Thanks for the heads up!

Same, i wasn't aware Murray was still releasing stuff. Last thing i've hear is almost 10 years old or something ?

Spectral Burn

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 19, 2019, 10:39:33 AM
Merzbow - Noisembryo double LP (Hospital Productions) - Not much I can say about this one that hasn't been said already, so I'll just mention that the bonus track, "Travelling", is one of the best from Metalvelodrome

Truth! Easily blows away the competition on the original comp. I recall that I picked it up for the Incaps, but stayed for the Merz. The ambientish opening seconds immediately communicate the awesomeness to come (and not to subsequently be matched... though the Incaps is about as brutal as one could hope).

Btw great first post.

Appreciated man! Gonna have to hunt down that Noise Forest comp. You can never go wrong with some Incaps.

A couple more I've snagged recently:
The Haters - Rot 7" (Apraxia) - Possibly my favourite Haters 7". "Rubbish Often Tears" is a fucking perfect track. The distant flanging sound in the right channel always gets me.

The Haters - Predetermined By Accident 7" (Vinyl Communications) - Another great one. The B-side in particular stands out as some of GX's finest work. I'm assuming from the artwork & track titles that the main sound source for this one are two shovels of varying sizes(?).

The Haters - Drops Ascending 2x7" (Vinyl Communications) - Honestly, I wish I liked this one more than I do. The packaging is fantastic, but I find the tracks to be a bit flat/repetitive. The third track is great though. Hopefully this one grows on me.

The Haters - Truncated Formica 7" (Self Abuse) - This is another standout in GX's 7" discography. Extremely crunchy stuff.

John Wiese - Mixed Metaphor/Into A Bad Way 7" (Phage Tapes) - FUCK this one is good. Two relatively short blasts of digital noise with Merzbow as a sound source. Highly recommended.

acsenger

Merzbow - Hannover Interruption LP (Dradomel) - Hands down my favourite thing MA has ever done. THIS is true industrial. Cavernous, searing not-quite-junk-noise with lots of stereo panning.

Just listened to this the other day and concluded it's one of my favourites by Merzbow. Absolutely savage stuff that relies heavily on junk metal, with fantastic sound to boot. It's a shame it's pretty much never mentioned.

cr

So, after lots of Earth...and thanks to this thread - now there's lots of Keiji Haino.
I somehow regret to not having paid attention to this Man in Black for quite some time now. If you're in the right mood, Haino is one of the greatest! The titles of his records are often just beautiful, sad and poetic - like f.e. "I said this is the son of nihilism" or "Saying I love you, I continue to curse myself" and many many others.
Who else loves such strange records like "The 21st Century Hard-Y-Guide-Y Man" or "Tenshi No Gijinka" (which I think was the first Haino record I ever bought - it drove my parents insane back then)?
Prices for some of his records are a bit insane today, but I will try get some of them which I don't already have, like the "Purple Trap - The Wound That Was Given Birth To Must Be Bigger Than The Wound That Gave Birth" 2xCD (another amazing title)
I know I'm somehow a bit too enthusiastic here, but well, I can blame it on the summer heat and some well deserved glasses of beer and wine. And of course the genius that is Mr. Haino.
Anyway, sorry for my bad English. Cheers!

Yrjö-Koskinen

BIZARRE UPROAR "High Risk Lifestyle" CD (Filth & Violence)
My relationship to the music of Bizarre Uproar is somewhat similar to my relationship to The Rita's. The sound is awesome to the point of tearjerking, the concept leaves me almost completely numb. There are, in both cases, exceptions that actually strengthen the comparison: sea monsters and sharks are cool, and often the B.U. aesthetic makes me forget that I don't care that much for the whole "gospel of the flesh" thing. Still, that I enjoy listening to these acts so much, while not being very interested in their central thematic ideas, is a testament to the fact that noise isn't just about slapping something ideological onto a piece of whatever you recorded in your basement - the actual "music" matters more than anyone not into the genre might guess. And as far as "music" goes, here would be the place to point out that High Risk Lifestyle is something very different from Ballet Feet Positions, in case anyone had any doubts about that. Rich, often multilayered piles of noise assault the ears - various frequencies at various levels of distortion. Virtually never annoying - whenever the pitch starts pushing your nerves, things break down into pleasantly crunching lo/mid harshness, but there is a power electronics edge here. Decent variety within and between the two tracks, perfect for focused earphone listening as well as for metalesque car stereo rocking out, or some equally metalesque pre party setting. That, by the way, is the most substantial difference between The Rita and Bizarre Uproar - even more substantial than the fact that they don't really sound alike at all: the latter has a whole metal/punk/GG Allin redux type of thing going on, that often manifests itself in live settings, but is equally obvious in the pure sonic experience. This difference, however, also underscores a similarity: The Rita's quasi-autistic focus on a single or a few themes per album is also almost perfectly expressed in the carefully sculpted sounds/walls. So while I'm limited to enjoying mainly the sonic half of both bands (as well as wondering what on God's green earth that woman is doing to Mr. Uproar in the booklet of this CD - is that vomit?), I am also pleasantly surprised that I'm not spending my life pretending to listen to sub-par nonsense that can only gain legitimacy from extra-musical factors. This is, if not art, so at least a hell of a rock album.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

holy ghost

Quote from: Yrjö-Koskinen on June 20, 2019, 11:42:52 PM

Thanks for the review - I'm a huge fan of both projects as well and while I generally appreciate The Rita sonically and thematically I'm generally a little more perplexed by BU however the sounds they're able to create hit home like few other artists. It's interesting you bring up the comparison as both have had printed material issued recently - The Rita's chapbook from Amphetamine Sulphate and the Bizarre Uproar book to document this aesthetic contribution. I'm still trying to really digest the BU book! I'm not 100% I'm brutal enough for it.

Zeno Marx

Headrush, Tokyo, Shinjuku Loft, August 29, 2004 - "Headrush was a power trio organized by Reck that existed for a few years but only played four gigs or so." - Pill from Lip Cream on drums - I think...think...this is remotely influenced by maybe Faith No More or some avant-funk thing; conventional music you don't hear from Haino often - possibly my least favorite Haino/related recording I've ever heard; just not very interesting to me - 50 minutes, but it seemed to go on forever.

Fushitsusha 1981, Tokyo, Akihabara, Goodman, March 2, 2018 - "Fushitsusha 1981 was a special one-off gig with a version of the band that existed briefly in 1981. I don't believe they recorded anything and were just a live unit." - 4 tracks, 73 minutes - a relatively quiet, nuanced performance - all three players (Haino, Watanabe, Usui) are nicely keyed into each other - this was an easy, relaxing, and engaging listen - if getting sleepy while also being prevented from sleeping sounds like a worthwhile musical experience, this would be a good recording for that.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: Yrjö-Koskinen on June 20, 2019, 11:42:52 PM
My relationship to the music of Bizarre Uproar is somewhat similar to my relationship to The Rita's. The sound is awesome to the point of tearjerking, the concept leaves me almost completely numb. There are, in both cases, exceptions that actually strengthen the comparison: sea monsters and sharks are cool, and often the B.U. aesthetic makes me forget that I don't care that much for the whole "gospel of the flesh" thing. Still, that I enjoy listening to these acts so much, while not being very interested in their central thematic ideas, is a testament to the fact that noise isn't just about slapping something ideological onto a piece of whatever you recorded in your basement - the actual "music" matters more than anyone not into the genre might guess. And as far as "music" goes, here would be the place to point out that High Risk Lifestyle is something very different from Ballet Feet Positions, in case anyone had any doubts about that. Rich, often multilayered piles of noise assault the ears - various frequencies at various levels of distortion. Virtually never annoying - whenever the pitch starts pushing your nerves, things break down into pleasantly crunching lo/mid harshness, but there is a power electronics edge here. Decent variety within and between the two tracks, perfect for focused earphone listening as well as for metalesque car stereo rocking out, or some equally metalesque pre party setting. That, by the way, is the most substantial difference between The Rita and Bizarre Uproar - even more substantial than the fact that they don't really sound alike at all: the latter has a whole metal/punk/GG Allin redux type of thing going on, that often manifests itself in live settings, but is equally obvious in the pure sonic experience. This difference, however, also underscores a similarity: The Rita's quasi-autistic focus on a single or a few themes per album is also almost perfectly expressed in the carefully sculpted sounds/walls. So while I'm limited to enjoying mainly the sonic half of both bands (as well as wondering what on God's green earth that woman is doing to Mr. Uproar in the booklet of this CD - is that vomit?), I am also pleasantly surprised that I'm not spending my life pretending to listen to sub-par nonsense that can only gain legitimacy from extra-musical factors. This is, if not art, so at least a hell of a rock album.

Why can't you all write this thoughtfully? Bravo!

cr

Keiji Haino - Milky Way LP
Fantastic! From 1973(?!). Whoah, it's even two years before Metal Machine Music.