PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: theotherjohn on October 04, 2018, 07:03:29 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 04, 2018, 05:15:37 PM
WHITEHOUSE "Live action 76" tape
How I regret not buying all the tapes that used to be fairly cheap and easy to order from SL.

You can still buy a data DVD box set with high quality mp3s of all the recorded Live Actions from Susan Lawly - not the same as tape format but at least they're still out there to buy.

Yes, I actually showed friend a link to that just couple months ago. I just can't get myself to adjust into "data dvdr" idea. I know that first of all, I won't be listening to data dvdr's and secondly, if one would get 100 live gigs at once, instead of say batch of 5 tapes every now and then, they just feel different.

Talking of UK "power electronics", recieved in mail:

ACTIVE DENIAL -tape
Cheap food records
Discogs labels it under: UK Garage, Doomcore - whatever that is, don't care much. Info says "For fans of Ken Russell and Fish 'n' Chips. Live recording. File Under - Unsympathetic/More shit for the heap". Clearly there is humor there, but at the same time putting this on tape deck, I was thinking that it's almost like poor man's old style con-dom. Some rather simple keyboard tones / throbbing electronics and shouting on the top with quite lo-fi sound. Sounds barely interesting and it is indeed "more shit for the heap", haha, but for some reason this short tape has some positive feel to it.

Been lately listening at evenings a lot of dark industrial stuff. Herbst9 "From A Dark Chasm Below" CD, Inade "Aldebaran" CD, Lustmord "Paradise Disowned" CD , Contagious Orgasm "Voltage Controlled Filter" CD . I have not been listening Herbst9 for example for decade or more. This was good reminder to actually listen some of the stuff you may have slightly negative recollections. My impression of "that was kind of clean and sweep keyboard ambient" was totally inaccurate. It may have been result to being in state of mind of wanting to hear brutal and harsh noise, and not being impressed by dark industrial soundscapes of them album. Or memories being distorted by experiences with some of the later days cleaner material. But now, I can see strength of album from new perspective. It is also good reminder how 90's Inade was so much more hand-made. Physical, claustrophobic and dark. Not to mention filled with mysteries.

That made me pick for today's listening:
BLOOD BOX "Victim Selection" tape
Circle 9
Member of Yen Pox, his solo Blood Box debut tape from 1994. Vastly echoing dark ambient / industrial soundscapes with grim subject matter. Despite I can perfectly handle all sorts of artsy things like neatly designed sleeve sayin nothing beyond "Musique concrete realisee en 1968", but should be no news deep down I'm more leaning towards stuff like Blood Box. Despite musically there is no painful nor brutally challenging sound, the nightmarish' soundscapes are titled with "boneless", "purge", "open wound enema", "psychic terrorism",.. etc. Yes thanks!

V/A UNDERGROUND USA tape
MSNP
C-90, that is all the way good, but c. half of it is brilliant. Woe Is Me, Orifice Training, Bacillus, Strict, Jennifer Wolski, even brutal simplicity of Armenia just slays. B-side having sort of "second league", A.S.M. Depress/Regress, Not Breathing, Daylight Savings Time, Bob Marinelli, Turbulence, Persn. Second league not meaning they'd be highly inferior, just mostly names I would not often remember to have been active. Curiously there is some infamous names though! Like Daylight Savings Time "demo#1" must be earliest recordings of John Olson of Wolf Eyes. I wouldn't complain if someone would be there to make double CD re-issue of this! There is this undeniable sonic quality in 90's american noise, what simply seems impossible to capture now. I can't really name any of the 90's worshippers who would make material like this tape offers. Sound quality itself is already so unique for its time, but also how tracks are build and what kind of source material is being used. One can only worship!

Die Neue Zeit "Segments" tape
Auto Badau Kassettenmanufaktur
Random noise tape grabbed for listening turns out to be 2012 german harsh noise, ltd 10 copies. Can't remember at all any details of this artist. It is not advantage for 2012 noise tape to be listened AFTER tape like above. You are bound to conclude that this is decent harsh head noise session listening, but when judging whether it stood out.. no. Didn't. It underlined how even the small things matter in harsh noise when deciding what release is remarkable and what is just decent average blasting.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

and one more for today...

UNDERGROUND CANADA tape
MSNP
C-60, but somewhat similar to Underground USA. A-side includes bands one could still today, after 20 years+ name drop as Canadian harsh noise. Good track from KNURL, killer piece from T.A.D.M. and monstrous 14 minutes harsh noise monolist from THE RITA. I don't really remember the moment when The Rita became BIG, but listening his early material - reputation was well deserved!
When turning side, you got the names that do not come up frequently in discussions. Scissors in painful electronic simplity at first, almost like early days Death Squad, but soon erupts into fine harsh noise blast. Fast moving and occasionally cut-up feel to it, but restlessly blasting forward. Often highly electronic as opposed to current popularity of metal junk. Tension Hook somehow has the "Texas noise" feel to it. More primitive and coarse. It has sound what makes me think if it was recorded with tape deck rather than 4-tracker or such. Appears live take without layering or editing. Last is Eleven, but it also displays the only flaw of noise comp tapes. When it's unknown artist, and you happen to lose your track being immersed in sound itself rather than thinking so who was playing right now, even with just 3 guys on this side, and knowing track lengths, I failed to notice when exactly the track changed?! In absolute best compilation you of course hear the trademark sound of each personal noise maker... But when not knowing what exactly particular artists sounds like, one can be soon in situation of just listening pure sound with no idea who is actually playing right now. Regardless - good comp. Could be interesting to see someone doing Underground Canada 2019 -comp tape and compare what has changed!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FEAR_GOD

Skin Graft- Afflict, Prime Ruin
One of my favorite harsh heads returns with a new offering of desolate Industrial soundscapes. One thing I appreciate about this project is that it constantly keeps me excited about the Harsh Noise Genre along with acts like Wince and Worth. This tape is awesome. Just too fucking short for something so tense and ugly. But I guess I'll be good with the 4 hour boxset that New Forces put out that I have yet to listen to.*** 3/4

Cackle Car-Idling, AWP
I picked this tape up when I saw them play in Oakland (Shout out to Ted for repping the Koufar t shirt). Their set was awesome. It starts off with Byrnes performing the metal abuse. Its not any ordinary metal abuse where its just shit being tossed around. Ted is actually playing the junk metal like he's Tony Williams on drums. The metal abuse stops and then it turns into buzzing and cracking noise that sounds like harsh processed tearing of bags (which is completely brutal). The tape is a pretty solid representation of the live performance. Byrnes performs the metal abuse while Sam McKinlay records it and then processes it on the spot. Love this shit. I sent them a recording I took of their performance so hopefully they use it! ***1/2

Yrjö-Koskinen

YANA - Oka (Tape)
Fresh from the tapery, Yana strikes back a mere year (give or take) after the debut album Chimerism. This fairly short tape comes in a leather box adorned with glued on thorns. I should know what they are, but the year I took studying gardening really left very little behind in my brain. No matter - the packaging looks good, and is also sturdier than many similar experiments. No falling apart in a box somewhere for Oka. The music is something else. Atonal drones, rattling destructiveness performed in a cathedral-sized reverberating space, Metgumbnerbonesque ritual/industrial noises and strange, often one-off, sounds that add dread and variety at the same time. The sound is somehow more muddled and less obvious/in your face than Chimerism, but upon closer inspection this is at least as effective and impressive as the CD. I'm on my third listen already, and feel quite certain that there will be several more in the near future.

K2 - Quaking Earth (Tape)
There is this idea about japanoise that it consists solely of senselessly brutal combinations of static/white noise, feedback, extreme overtones and general sonic violence. Much like the notion that the genre's aesthetic is almost always about bondage, that idea really isn't true. More often than not, there are semi-musical stuff like guitar abuse and rhythmic elements going on, not to mention a vast array of un-noisy industrial sounds and of course vocals. Luckily on Quaking Earth, K2's tribute to the victims of the East Tohuku earthquake, Kimihide Kusafuka and Seiji Ishida have chosen not to go down the path of japanoise stereotype busting. In short, this tape's contents consists solely of senselessly brutal combinations of static/white noise, feedback, extreme overtones and general sonic violence. It doesn't get any more japanoise than this. There are sounds that are supposed to be drums on B-side opener "Swallowed by Huge Black Soft Power", but something devastating has been done to them and they are not annoying. As per usual during the last decade of K2, the simple tape inlay contains extremely odd professions of sonic purity - apparently there are "No computer, no MIDI and no metaljunks", while there are "junk electronics, Korg MS-20, Nintendo DS & DS 10", among other things. The most impressive thing about this may be that the sound is surprisingly similar to pure-junk era K2 - dynamic, powerful and utterly extreme - and there is also something vaguely humorous about this self-imposed and almost completely solipsistic orthodoxy of sound. Kind of a parody of "pure analog" ideals, with the last vestige of sense removed from the proceedings. No matter. This sounds fucking awesome - all out ear and brain assault, perfect for a rainy afternoon.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Lazrs3

ANTIchildLEAGUE - Infect Your Gut, Infect Your Thoughts. - I have been really getting into the ACL tapes released over the last two years, I like how abstracted and warped the vocals have become and the sounds more aggressive as years pass. For some reason I think the project works best on tape and vinyl, I don't normally say that as I love all formats the same.

Stark - Caveat Emptor New Stark tape on Obsessive Fundamental Realism, I like Stark more than Bagman most of the time, this release is the slower, more personal stuff that Stark does. It has the usual OFR bag and inserts. They contacted me to review the Scatmother/Pissoir Rouge split, it was really harsh like I hadn't heard in a while, I like that label. But Stark are a favourite act of mine at the minute, all 4 tapes are good.

monotome

Prurient - Frozen Niagara Falls
I have a difficult relationship with Prurient....some of his stuff is really good, live is extra good, but with a lot of releases, I like the theme, idea, aesthetics, even the sounds, but I feel that he could have pushed it further, and leaves me wanting for something that pushes further. Like this release, I like the synths, I like the ideas, but it also is to long, it's not punchy enough, the vocals could have been more in-your-face, and sometimes it's just a bit dull. Is that bad? I don't know, listening I get the feeling I can do this better, and I want to do it better. Prurient is an influence on how I approach recording myself, because I think I can do it better, or maybe more how I envision how music should sound. Thanks Dominic! But next time I rather go for classic Skepticism than this album.

Prurient - Through The Window
Less noisy, better Prurient. Like I said, I have a difficult relationship with him. I really like this album and rank it to be on of his better ones. Total synth stuff, slow progression, techno beats, perfect in atmosphere, dark and melancholic, very personal (however that's always with Prurient I feel, this one resonates good with me) and no noise means I can push the volume to maximum without risking ear damage. Perfect, very good!

Baglady

SISSY SPACEK - Glass CD (Misanthropic Agenda)
I was reading the latest issue of New Forces, the Sissy Spacek special, and pulled out the only SS record I have. I still haven't heard anything of theirs besides this one, so it was an interesting read. It feels like I should give their other records a chance, even though I have a feeling I wont be as into those as I am into this particular CD. Recorded in 2008, featuring Corydon Ronnau and Wiese, and released the year after. So it came out during a time of transition for the band. I'm not sure if this record reflects that. This is just pure The Haters / early TNB worship to my ears. Cascades of sounds of glass breaking, junk being thrown etc. slowly swelling and growing in size, with the odd unintentional (?) harmonies emerging in the midst. The second track is a much lesser audial mountain, but equally enjoyable in all its broken hands-on wreckage and shit churning glory. Is this a one of a kind in the SS discography, or is there more?

New Forces

Quote from: Baglady on October 10, 2018, 12:40:20 PM
SISSY SPACEK - Glass CD (Misanthropic Agenda)
I was reading the latest issue of New Forces, the Sissy Spacek special, and pulled out the only SS record I have. I still haven't heard anything of theirs besides this one, so it was an interesting read. It feels like I should give their other records a chance, even though I have a feeling I wont be as into those as I am into this particular CD. Recorded in 2008, featuring Corydon Ronnau and Wiese, and released the year after. So it came out during a time of transition for the band. I'm not sure if this record reflects that. This is just pure The Haters / early TNB worship to my ears. Cascades of sounds of glass breaking, junk being thrown etc. slowly swelling and growing in size, with the odd unintentional (?) harmonies emerging in the midst. The second track is a much lesser audial mountain, but equally enjoyable in all its broken hands-on wreckage and shit churning glory. Is this a one of a kind in the SS discography, or is there more?

There's other stuff like this - the new "Blear" LP in Gilgongo is total Haters mode. That's a reissue of a ridiculously limited cassette.

The b-side of the New Forces LP "Trash Staging" is also full blown harsh noise, you'd like that
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

FallOfNature

Kiira ‎– Tulkoon Yö - Talviyö
Arrived on the doorstep just yesterday and it's been hard to pull away from it since. I thought the MLP didn't have anything very interesting to offer but this is the complete opposite of the spectrum in my ears. Really introspective Black Metal that reminds me of 2000's bands like Sterbend, with a distinct Finnish touch.

Contortus ‎– Your Weakness Feeds My Cruelty
Only a few listens in but very impressed. Takes the sadism and barbarism of the last one to another level.

Detrimental Effect - Be My Enemy
Surprised to not see too many mentions of this in here. Diverse and well constructed Heavy Electronics/Industrial in the G.O/Ex.Order vein. Seething tension one moment and raw power the next. Recommended!

burdizzo

Quote from: FallOfNature on October 11, 2018, 01:31:31 PM

Surprised to not see too many mentions of this in here. Diverse and well constructed Heavy Electronics/Industrial in the G.O/Ex.Order vein. Seething tension one moment and raw power the next. Recommended!

I'll second that. The track God & Guns is a stand-out.

re:evolution

Quote from: burdizzo on October 11, 2018, 11:20:30 PM

I'll second that. The track God & Guns is a stand-out.

I'II third that from the Noise Receptor HQ: https://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/2018/09/20/detrimental-effect-%e2%80%8e-be-my-enemy/

Of relevance, the next issue of Noise Receptor Journal is progressing well, and Detrimental Effect are intended to be featured.

noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

Cauldhame

Fourthed (don't think that's even a word). The second track is my favourite, pared back to allow the detail of the queasy high-pitched tones to shine.

Ke/Hil - Syndrome/Antidrome
Ke/Hil keep getting better and better; this one seems to particularly benefit from vinyl. The guys' skill and mastery from their years of experience is just a joy to behold.

FEAR_GOD

Primordial Wound-Research By Product Disposal, V.O.S.P. Noise
This tape is awesome. Schizo harsh fucking noise. Thick and saturated tones. There wasn't a lot of tension building moments on that tape but it still gave me a feeling of anxiety because of how chaotic the sounds were. I've played with PW and I can positively say that Dan is bringing that live atmosphere to his recordings. A solid listen. Cop it if he still has copies. *** 3/4

The Rita-Bodies Bear Traces Of Carnal Violence,  V.O.S.P. Noise
This was definitely deserving a reissue. One thing I forgot to mention above is that on this V.O.S.P. Noise label is that the presentation is flawless. The artwork on this tape is fucking incredible. If you look at the rest of the shit thats on this label you will think the same thing.  This is classic shit from The Rita. Brooding walls and you can hear sampled screams cutting thru in such savage fucking fashion.  *** 3/4

Gnawed/Ligature Impression-Split, Maniacal Hatred
Flat out Gnawed is underrated and overlooked. There are many projects that attempt to do what he does and do a bad job at it yet still get a lot of play. I don't know why (American)? Anyways, Gnawed's side of the split is awesome. Heavy, atmospheric, and calculated Death Industrial. Expertly crafted and sounds huge on a good system.  The Ligature Impression is just as good. This was a great pairing. Ligature Impression is bringing that same heavy and atmospheric vibe but it just feels a bit more filthy. Great synth work and the vocals are fucking disturbing. Also recommended is the lathe that came out a month or so ago on Hex Lathes. Good shit all around. *** 1/2

Torturecide-S/T, Slaughter Productions
I love this CD. Iconic artwork to fit some heavy fucking sounds. Pulsating, rhythmic synth work, and brutal vocals that blend perfectly. The samples set the tone for the pummeling drum machine loops, just imagine skulls crushed beneath tanks. Really controlled and precise heavy electronics but it's still chaotic enough sonically for that raw PE edge. Extra crude vocals bursting thru static synth tones. From start to finish engaging and unrelenting just too fucking short. Still trying to track down "The Gospel Of Force" reissue on Finders. Hit me up if you got a copy. "YOU WILL SUFFER LIKE ALL THE OTHERS. I HAVE A RIGHT TO ERASE YOU FROM MY MEMORY." **** 1/2

bogskaggmannen

Quote from: FEAR_GOD on October 15, 2018, 05:58:57 AM
Primordial Wound-Research By Product Disposal, V.O.S.P. Noise
fucking
The Rita-Bodies Bear Traces Of Carnal Violence,  V.O.S.P. Noise
fucking
Gnawed/Ligature Impression-Split, Maniacal Hatred
fucking
Torturecide-S/T, Slaughter Productions
fucking

Did you FUCK while listening to these? :-)

sterilization

Quote from: FEAR_GOD on October 15, 2018, 05:58:57 AM. Still trying to track down "The Gospel Of Force" reissue on Finders. Hit me up if you got a copy. "YOU WILL SUFFER LIKE ALL THE OTHERS. I HAVE A RIGHT TO ERASE YOU FROM MY MEMORY." **** 1/2

It's not officially out yet. The ones that are floating around are artist copies. Patience will be rewarded.