PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Force Neurotic on June 17, 2018, 06:33:34 AM
Mark Vernon "Lend an Ear, Leave a Word: Audio Archaeology Series V. 1" LP (Kye, 2016)

Guido Gamboa "Saturday's Notes" LP (Pentiments, 2017)
Thanks for reviewing these.  Both are very good.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Peterson

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 17, 2018, 08:13:03 PM
Mark Vernon "Lend an Ear, Leave a Word: Audio Archaeology Series V. 1" LP (Kye, 2016)

Thanks for reviewing these.  Both are very good.

My pleasure, man, glad someone else likes them. Really into this kind of stuff that achieves unsettling atmospheres without using the typical formulas, so to speak.

Astor "Lina in Nida" (Penultimate Press, 2018)
          Here, Harwood mostly (but not entirely) ditches the concrete sounds for a pretty weird and somewhat diverse take on abstract electronics. The pieces with more variation within and those which include the female spoken word by Kris Lemsalu are probably best, but some manage to be fairly harsh and difficult listening ("Orion" especially, that shit's like Komische Hijokaidan as far as I'm concerned), even if it's not noise or whatever. I'll admit I don't really care for this kind of super-modern, abstract synth stuff much at all, and that's being polite about it, but this is definitely a major exception. Some would find this pretty relaxed and serene but I find it cold, bright, and disturbing like a snowless winter. This doesn't sound at all like The Shadow Ring, but the fact that it manages to be so eerie when I'm not sure if that's the intent is comparable to some of the stuff I've heard by them; I.E. it could be an enjoyable or drudging listen depending on my mood. In this case, a good thing.

urall

Thanks for reviewing these.  Both are very good.

Yes - great stuff !  I'm going through Vernons bandcamp now - until now all enjoyable.

Over the weekend i've been listening to the new Christian Mirande CS on Ascetic House 'Scaled Deposits'

A 90 minute CS is quite the work so i need time to fully absorb this. But after a couple of listens in a variety of circumstances i can only say that this is an absolute excellent release !  Also enjoyable if you like above references.

ricjaff

Quote from: Force Neurotic on June 18, 2018, 02:48:37 AM

Thanks for reviewing these.  Both are very good.

My pleasure, man, glad someone else likes them. Really into this kind of stuff that achieves unsettling atmospheres without using the typical formulas, so to speak.

just a thought, but maybe there should be an electroacoustic/musique concrète/field recordings thread because i too enjoy this stuff and would love to recommend and receive further recommendations related to them

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ricjaff on June 18, 2018, 08:32:06 PMjust a thought, but maybe there should be an electroacoustic/musique concrète/field recordings thread because i too enjoy this stuff and would love to recommend and receive further recommendations related to them
I believe there are two or three.  Do an advanced search for Bayle in posts for the musique concrète, and Dauby for the field recordings (or field recordings in topics, because I believe it's called just that).
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Kayandah

Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Water witches
I saw this listed for pre-order on Hospital and hesitated, then it sold out and now goes for obscene amounts on Discogs, so instead I purchased digital download at fraction of the cost and can say, I'm glad I did. Because at 277mins its a struggle to get through, especially compared to Alberich's NATO which I can happily listen to all the way through its 237min running time. So why not this?
I own the RSE LP's and maybe 20min excerpts of music works better for this project because I love those LPs but Water Witches is an effort. Too much blurs into one long undifferentiated track and there are too many moments of meandering ambiance. With some judicious editing this could be a more impactful release, as it is had I brought the cassette set it no doubt would have sat unplayed on a shelf

bitewerksMTB

Himukalt "Come October" tape (Found Remains) - similar to the Malignant LP but not quite as harsh. The first half of s1 & second half of s2 are the most intense. If I were to recommend a place to start based solely on the two most recent releases, I'd say go with the LP but this tape is no slouch. Plus you get a naked woman in the artwork, if that's your 'thing'. Anyone have the tape on No Rent they would trade? Or any of the previous releases? Shoot me a msg.

Bloated Slutbag

I am writing this review not only for my own reflections, but as a kind of calling-card; Bloated Slutbag, if you're reading this, I'll PayPal you the money to download the Bandcamp version and post a review of your own (seriously)

I'm frankly already intimidated by the title! (seriously)
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

PedestrianOrgans

Mo*Te - "Cuffs" 2018 CD reissue/remaster

I was super excited about the two Mo*Te reissues, haven't spun LIAPNW yet but Emanuele did a fantastic job thickening and clarifying the original of this yet it still has that majestic 90s cassette "aura", not sure how else to put it, haha.

totalblack

BT.HN - He Is Risen - wow, not what I expected to hear from this! The first collab between Sam McKinlay and Josh Rose in several years now. I was anticipating something dense and harsh, but this is very nuanced and in parts reminds me of some John Duncan material. Film recordings played with field recordings, minimal crackling, some slight synth work, blended together masterfully. The first side is a live recording, and the second studio of the same composition. Really incredible tape. Making me want take a look back at all of the old Sick Buildings and rundownsun material, had several of the releases when the label was most active 11-12 years ago, and was really one of the only worthwhile Canadian noise labels in the early 2000s.

eyestrain

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 19, 2018, 08:57:41 PM
Himukalt "Come October" tape (Found Remains) - similar to the Malignant LP but not quite as harsh. The first half of s1 & second half of s2 are the most intense. If I were to recommend a place to start based solely on the two most recent releases, I'd say go with the LP but this tape is no slouch. Plus you get a naked woman in the artwork, if that's your 'thing'. Anyone have the tape on No Rent they would trade? Or any of the previous releases? Shoot me a msg.

Enjoyed this twice on a long hike on the AT today. I might vote this over the LP honestly! Though I have no standing argument, probably just the locale I heard it in ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I really enjoyed the tape on Helen Scarsdale Agency, "Conditions Of Acrimony".

Maeror Tri "Ambiguitas" (Teta-Morphosis): Maybe my memory of this group is just too old now, but I was expecting something soft and meandering. I know them mostly from comps over albums. Troum has gotten lots of attention from me, but not even so much their earlier releases, I guess.
Opening track "Death Surrounds You" is pretty fucking aptly titled. Utterly blown out (as is much of the album), 15-minute track that at times has an early Genocide Organ vibe. Pulsing, throbbing, cocking... Once, after a particularly long weekend, I was playing "Sexregler" at peak volume through big mountain roads, I was probably just coming down from the medley of things, but the song kind of mutated into some absolute rotten industrial song in my mind like I'd never heard it before or since. There's brief moments interspersed, but frequent, in this track that take my head back to that moment. MSNP industrial. Some tracks play with rhythm in ways I just outright don't enjoy, and these are the tracks that just feel more improvised as a whole. "Furtive Menace" is probably the closest thing to what I expected; more synth/ambient. But, in a really good way, everything on this album is washed out and louder. Across the whole album there is so much territory covered that is just as similar as dissimilar. Slow mutations of forms with occasional leaps. The greater majority of the second half is more droned based and less "industrial". I like this more than some of the more digital sounds I associate this all with - there's some great loops and decay through lots of the songs. The backbone of several. There's a track ultra-akin to Methadrone... that one caught me off guard.
On the whole, this could use two songs cut, maybe three and I'd come back often. Will probably just do that on my phone haha. At least if the jam band-soundin shit wasn't immediately after that mad opening track! Still a really great album and now I want to hear more of this era of them.

martialgodmask

Have been revisiting "Neuroscan Organization / Blood Illumination" in the car and am reminded just how thoroughly good Cloama is. I sadly don't own anything else by him, so a couple of recommendations would be appreciated.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: martialgodmask on June 21, 2018, 09:48:51 AM
Have been revisiting "Neuroscan Organization / Blood Illumination" in the car and am reminded just how thoroughly good Cloama is. I sadly don't own anything else by him, so a couple of recommendations would be appreciated.

All of Cloama's releases are different so you've got a lot of options. I prefer his more power electronics oriented work personally though. And for that my highest recommendation goes to Lernaean Catacomb Complex on EST. Absolutely flawless tape that Id never sell. Both albums with Grunt are top notch too.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Ritual

Quote from: martialgodmask on June 21, 2018, 09:48:51 AM
If you like his more melancholic stuff, then "Municipality Of Marionettes" and "At The Mountains Of Paranoia" are great! "Municipality..." is probably my favourite of the albums.

Yrjö-Koskinen

K2 - Ha·ga·me
Amazing come-back album from 2009. A nice little insert (photocopied) contains a letter to the listener from Kimihide Kusafuka outlining the history of K2, as well as inform us of the methods used in the "third period of K2" - from this album and forwards. That he proudly proclaims that there is no metal junk used, but the main instruments here are a soft synth and a Nintendo DS seems pretty goddamn off-putting, but there is absolutely no doubt that this is one Japanese surgeon who knows what he's doing. Ripping - inspiring even. I don't know why I've always let japanoise take the back seat to other types of sonic abrasiveness, but as I revisit old records from my collection as well as buy new ones I feel that I've missed out a lot. This is/was a great starting point for new K2 material.

K2 - In the montonous flowers
This is something residing quite far from my regular, after all quite expansive, musical comfort zone. Glitchy sound collages and strange noises rather than anything resembling straight-forward harsh noise or industrial. Everything from video game music to bells, guitars and whatever strange shit you can think of comes together in tracks with titles as rough-and-tumble as "Rodents in the Sewer" and "Obese Woman", and as artsy as "An Able Spy Never Eats Any Vegetables" and "Along the Debacle River". In all honesty, this left me cold at first, but after a second listen it's growing on me. A few more spins and I'll be looking for similar stuff. Mind expanding.

Maaaa - Sampo Distortion
Starting off with incredible violence, this is an extremely diverse piece of harsh noise. There are a bunch of analogue synth sounding bleeps and bloops, massive chunks of ruined noise, junk beaten to a pulp, as well as field recordings and just general recordings (the end..?). Somewhat cruder (in a good way) than some later stuff of Maaaa's I've heard, but the main take away is the insane variety. There is even one part - quite early on - of aggressive and distorted punk or whatever, and this I found so offensive and terrible that I almost shut the whole album off. I'm developing quite a fondness for Maaaa though, so I kept going despite being annoyed beyond all measure, and I'd say it paid off very well - once the punk is over, it's all noisy goodness from there. An album that goes out on the edge in every which way, and all things considered it's pretty impressive to do this many different things and annoy me only once in 32 minutes.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea