PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

Any words on the Moral Order LP (Tesco)? I have my doubts.

Bloated Slutbag

Sewer Election & Ligature ‎– GBGNYC 2017
I was trying to decide if I should be disappointed at the willfully impenitent capitulation to harsh purity here ventured. I mean, given the breadth of idiosyncrasy elsewhere traversed by the two parties concerned, expectations were tweaked somewhat toward an artsier fartsier indulgence.

It was a short conversation. The raw searing energy relentlessly blasting forth pretty much drowns out the possibility thinking coherently, let alone having anything to say about it. This is particularly true of the first half, "Dedicated to Skitslickers". An initial investment in looped, wet-mouthed, dirt-hole poke, kinda like choking, in slow-motion, on dental tools lodged in the throat, very quickly gives way to all-out, full-throttle, blasting. Then the blasting gets thicker, richer, heavier, sinking into dense layers of tightly-girded security wall, feedback strains giving off a distinctly metallic stench of burnt ozone cum wet fur. On the first couple spins it was all about the rush of lows thundering on through. But I notice too that the 'holes are currently smoking from the constant high frequency shriek buried in the rough. Shit's harsher than it sounds.

There's a bit more too it than that, however. There is shift and there is change, evolving by subtle increment. There is even a fair measure of breathing space afforded, a comfortable roomy quality to the bottom end, sufficient to accommodate the fatter-arsed flatulent bungloads blubbering away. I'm almost sure I detect a submerged voice wailing in sympathy, unless its just the feedback echoes fucking with my skull. At eight minutes, a sudden un-plugged collapse to wooded clack and crinkle, hissy vacuum swept dirt floors percolating amid more acoustic slap crackle plop, going out with interview clipped reference to beating up some asshole, which is pretty much the only way to go.

"Dedicated to The Mad" does not much deviate from the format previously established. Half second screaming mad I love noi- condensed into two dimensional pointed shriekage, rough, bristly, blistering, gradually acquiring additional dimensions, depths. It acquires quite the crapload of em. Dimensions, depths, I mean. Coarse, burnt out, underbellies. Thundering, bludgeoning, gut punches. Redzoned, hole-cleansing, whiteout. Piercing, peak-register, screech. And in the process gets plenty harsh. Perhaps this, too, is captured in the choice of titles- the first a filthier Swedish sort of butt-roughage, the second, this one, higher-end Nihon-esque scorcheries that would no doubt earn the approval of an Incap or two. That Mikawa, he loves noise. It is at the four-or-so minute mark that I start to note a distinct flattening of the yield curve, rocketing risk premiums all but scuttling my future ability to hear a goddamn thing. In short, total ear scorcher. For a good and solid two-and-one-half minutes. Whoa fuck yes. We love noise.

Then, abrupt collapse, again mirroring the previous side. This time the wooded clack and crinkle gets all atmospheric upon the fundament, gaseous echoes wafting through decayed, fetid collage of raw-boned gristle-scrape and rumpled, snuffling, ditch-snort. The image is of some diseased gutter troll grubbing around gnarled and festering sludge heap, periodically stumbling headlong down the side in a  spray of spit and gravel, which is pretty much the only way to go.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

totalblack

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on June 08, 2018, 09:25:47 AM
Any words on the Moral Order LP (Tesco)? I have my doubts.

It's nothing groundbreaking in terms of originality but it's a good listen- a few really solid tracks. The B-side is a lot slower moving and creepy, ends it off nicely. I guess you can stream the whole thing here: https://tescogermany.bandcamp.com/album/freedom-locked

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: totalblack on June 08, 2018, 09:06:48 PM
It's nothing groundbreaking in terms of originality but it's a good listen- a few really solid tracks. The B-side is a lot slower moving and creepy, ends it off nicely. I guess you can stream the whole thing here: https://tescogermany.bandcamp.com/album/freedom-locked

I liked this a lot.

I won't argue the originality point, but originality is extremely overrated these days. Art forms such as Egyptian hieroglyphs and second wave black metal have taught us that refined imitation is vastly superior to petite bourgeois concepts such as "individual creativity", and that assessment is at least 80% serious, btw, and I do once again like this. There are some passages that would require you to be in the right mood (slow, dark ambient-ass whispering power electronics seems to be moving towards forming its own sub-genre these days), but all in all this sounds great.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Peterson

Quote from: Stoa on June 08, 2018, 11:12:58 PM
slow, dark ambient-ass whispering power electronics seems to be moving towards forming its own sub-genre these days

I've noticed that seems to be the case even if that style has been developing since the early '90s at least. I have mixed reactions every time but in the right mood it definitely is a good style. I just wish more "traditional" PE projects would have more stylistic variation in full-length releases from track to track, and include one like that.

cr

SONNO FERRUM tape

Always a great experience. I think I already mentioned it, but I'd definitely like to hear more like this one. Any recommendations?

Hakaristi

Quote from: cr on June 09, 2018, 12:13:12 AM
SONNO FERRUM tape

Always a great experience. I think I already mentioned it, but I'd definitely like to hear more like this one. Any recommendations?

The "sequel" Perdo Omnis. Although it's not metal junk, more rough field recordings.

Personally when it comes time for a fix of raw metal junk, alongside this comp, I'll chuck on Seer of Decay disc 2 or some of Hal's Factory of Metal Sound work.

totalblack

Quote from: Stoa on June 08, 2018, 11:12:58 PM
Quote from: totalblack on June 08, 2018, 09:06:48 PM

I liked this a lot.

I won't argue the originality point, but originality is extremely overrated these days. Art forms such as Egyptian hieroglyphs and second wave black metal have taught us that refined imitation is vastly superior to petite bourgeois concepts such as "individual creativity", and that assessment is at least 80% serious, btw, and I do once again like this. There are some passages that would require you to be in the right mood (slow, dark ambient-ass whispering power electronics seems to be moving towards forming its own sub-genre these days), but all in all this sounds great.

Agree with you here- I thoroughly enjoyed the record, was just trying to be frank on the point that it isn't re-inventing the wheel. Gave it another play again and some of the more sample-oriented tracks make me think of bdn - necrose evangelicum or other CMI stuff from around that time. Think it's substantially better than the guys other project, which is for me on the bottom of the scale for Galakthorro projects

PedestrianOrgans

Worth - "Blood Possessed" CDr (Prosse Nage, 2018)

Everything Worth puts out is gold new-era dynamic HN. This CD in particular features grinding, squeaking, banging, smashing and all that good junk-noise onomatopoeia, but in a surprisingly cogent mass that has an enduring intriguing character that makes Worth releases so addicting and depressing to finish. The sound is massive and rumbling, like listening to the dust storm of the apocalypse whirlwind infrastructure debris around, but played from the other end of a CB radio through $30,000 speakers.

https://www.discogs.com/Worth-Blood-Possessed/release/11908705

cr

Quote from: Sadomaniac on June 09, 2018, 01:26:14 AM
Quote from: cr on June 09, 2018, 12:13:12 AM
SONNO FERRUM tape

The "sequel" Perdo Omnis. Although it's not metal junk, more rough field recordings.

Personally when it comes time for a fix of raw metal junk, alongside this comp, I'll chuck on Seer of Decay disc 2 or some of Hal's Factory of Metal Sound work.

Yeah, thanks. These are all great as well. Want more...

Theodore

Yesterday, Stadsbranden 3 (Styggelse) : Compilation with Ochu, Alfarmania, Young Hustlers, Treriksroset and Worth. I could stop here since line-up speaks for itself. But i ll write what i think. I can't say we have their best material here, but that doesn't mean anything. Even the average stuff of some of these guys can easily sweep most other's best. Ochu is opening with a track similar style to the latest album -if i remember well, i have only listened it through MP3s long ago. I bought the tape reissue so will listen properly these days- . Alfarmania with a somewhat "cinematic" track, like the soundtrack of a mystery movie. In 2 parts, first like a long intro, second more close to what you would expect, with vocals etc. Not bad -sorry i can't find an Alfarmania track bad anyway. I am biased probably- , he can do better for sure. Young Hustlers, with 2 PE tracks. Very simple, minimal, effective, to the point. I regret i had the chance to buy their debut tape and i didn't cause the total of 15 euro seemed too much for an unknown project to me. Treriksroset with a short 3-4 min track. Worth is better on the CDR. - Overall, tape is good just not the absolutely ultimate comp. my over-excited self expected. - I must mention the amazing booklet which is probably the best i have ever seen !

Today, The Golden Serenades - The Swan (Abisko) : Mercyless mindfuck ! Harsh-est noise, piercing frequences, metal objects or glass or i don't know what being shaken, smashed or i don't know what, mayhem. Like a symphony of agony. One may find it one-dimensional since all tracks sound from the same session. The whole thing is an experience. Being slowly inch by inch mutilated by a fishing cord. I swet !

And Ahlzagailzehguh - Hard To Return (Collapsed Hole) : C120 compilation of Ahlz's material from various releases. Some rare ones are whole included here. Seeing that very rare tape for sale at a fair price i couldn't let it go. Other Ahlz releases if for sale they are at similar price, and we speak for C10, C20. Super good noise, very pleasant to listen -i don't say it in bad way, i don't mean it's "easy" or catchy. Actually after The Swan anything would sound pleasant- , 1 hour flew by nicely ! I only listened Side A, no time for more. Not sure i didn't lost count, i think it's the Enemy Of Future tracks i liked most. I have whole Side B waiting for me -this tape, real score!- . Plus Black Destination tapes which came with the same order !
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Theodore on June 14, 2018, 01:06:25 AM
Today, The Golden Serenades - The Swan (Abisko) : Mercyless mindfuck ! Harsh-est noise, piercing frequences, metal objects or glass or i don't know what being shaken, smashed or i don't know what, mayhem. Like a symphony of agony. One may find it one-dimensional since all tracks sound from the same session. The whole thing is an experience. Being slowly inch by inch mutilated by a fishing cord. I swet !

Nice imagery there! The Swan could be my favorite release from the project. Simply does the job. Every time.

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Been obsessing on the first five years of Control (not intentionally limited to then).   Misanthrope and Natural Selection.  I know some like their PE really dirty.  Not me.  His production can be a sonic behemoth and effortlessly, and overwhelmingly, devour a room.  Revisited the first couple of Tho-So-Aa albums; reminding me of the strength of Art Kontret.  New top quality, hi-res vinyl rips of Iron Maiden, Van Halen, and Pantera.  In-between the Control suffocations, still using Steve Roach for respite.  Also, Collapsar.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

RICHARD MOULT "Chamber music" + "Chamber music 2" CD's
Zazen
Good stuff here. Chamber music with sort of odd twist. At the same time relaxing and atmoshperic compositions on piano/keyboards/violin/viola/oboe/flute etc, yet it has some haunting quality to it what sets it apart from the "usual" chamber music you could expect from "normal" composers. Yet also seems so far away from many synthetic neo-classical ( =in sense of post industrial reference) projects. I wish covers would have not been ruined by shitty current times typography.

ALBERICH "Precursor" tape
Hospital
I don't have much Alberich stuff. I often read people praising them and recommending them, yet often Hospital priced were too much for me or I didn't even have time to react before things were sold out. Lucky to get this one, since it is really good one! Heavy electronics. Like Zeno Marx says above, some like their power electronics really dirty, but some don't. This is certainly for those who like heavy, fairly clean and some could say "well produced" material. Often very rhythmic, utterly synth based. Even to the point few times I wonder if this is the gap between heavy electronics and synthwave, hah?! Well, luckily, despite lots of polyfonic synth tones and heavy rhythms, it's fairly oppressive and hard. I wouldn't call it power electronics per se, but falls well into industrial music traditions and is very very good. Certainly could fit to be album done on LP/CD.

SKREWDRIVER "Studio Sessions 1985" CD
Fendale Archives
I like mostly the early part of Skrewdriver. Of course there are good songs on all albums, but early days are flawless. This unreleased recording that surfaced now on LP and CD was really good since what we have here is pre- Blood & Honour album studio rehearsal. Sound being closer to stuff like WP 7" than cleaner (...relative) B&H studio album. Already rather sloppy and mid paced rock tracks, occasional faster track. This session doesn't include all B&H tracks, but instead few missing ones, there is also track called Friday, which was released on No Surrender vol 2 comp under title "Friday Night". Now just raw (probably 4-track) production. This comes from archives of bass player of band who played short time during 84-85. Quite surprising to surface now decent sounding unreleased recording and old photos! Vinyl version has different cover and lacking all information and gig posters and photos of CD booklet.

MASKHEAD "The Secret Rites of Perversion" tape
MASKHEAD "Captured Obsession" tape

2017-2018 stuff from Maskhead shows progression from releases of 2015-2016. It still remains filthy noise that seems most suitable on limited run of tapes, rather than "real album". It is hard to decide which one is better. Some ways, Secret Rites of Perversion, yet the sleazy and disgusting noise of Captured Obsession somehow hits the sweet spot, heh... Mix of juicy sex sounds, water, delicate noises, reverb drenched distorted voices. Never fast or aggressive, more bizarre and perverse. What could be seen as negative side of Maskhead, is the lack of personal input on artwork. Surely, both releases look neat and are filled with sleaze, yet Capture Obsession is 100% Wrath style and Secret Rites.. is 100% Bacteria Field style. So what is Maskhead's style? OFR label's tape - that yet to listen, looks again 100% like release of that label. Now when music is advancing into new levels and getting even originality, I'm missing bands own visual identity.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Peterson

Mark Vernon "Lend an Ear, Leave a Word: Audio Archaeology Series V. 1" LP (Kye, 2016)
        I am writing this review not only for my own reflections, but as a kind of calling-card; Bloated Slutbag, if you're reading this, I'll PayPal you the money to download the Bandcamp version and post a review of your own (seriously) – I can only imagine how those more creative than I would describe the sounds on this. There is so much to enjoy, let alone simply listen to here, that the name speaks for itself – this is just a massive score. Consisting almost entirely of found sound from thrift store and flea market tapes (in addition to some cleverly-placed field recordings), this is easily on par with anything Heemann, Greif or Gustafsson ever did and as good as anything from the '80s that anyone would consider "classic." It's that good ("Boca de Inferno" is just incredible in particular), and it manages to cover a lot of ground with sound that (mostly) wasn't even recorded by Vernon himself. From noisy and disturbing to hypnotic and pleasant, this record could fit any mood but should probably be savored late at night. I've been looking for something like this for years and this is exactly what I wanted.

Guido Gamboa "Saturday's Notes" LP (Pentiments, 2017)
        Fuckin' top-notch musique concrete/sound collage/whatever that seems to consist entirely of digitally-captured field recordings, with next to no processing if any (at least that's my best guess). Sounds are delicately layered and extremely well-defined, so if tape plays a role here, it's on the level of Jason Lescalleet in the sense that he's not doing the saturation/decay/flutter stuff. Another review somewhere else said this sounds like it was recorded in a city, and I agree – this sounds like (non-)music someone would make living in an urban environment, wanting to cope with all the noise around. Very stealthy, sleek sound that never manages to become fully disturbing, but does cross into paranoid industrial atmospheres at times, even if unintentionally, because things never really calm down despite some brighter points. Don't skip on this if you're curious, because it's not often something so standalone and atavistic comes out of the blue. This should please fans of sound in general.