PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

Shameless self-plugging:

(various artists) - "Elävä olento koneena" (Pääte, 2018)
          Title translates to something like "man as organic machine," therefore no sound generators or effects were used on any of these recordings. We get H.Ö.H. from Finland doing harsh, intricate and moving sound-art/sound poetry experiments alongside Belgium's O Ratel Ratel in a heavy, muscular industrial style with tape-warped flavor on the A-side. B-side is jazzier stuff, France's Cryptofascisme with a more collaged piece and and Missing in a low-key, buzzing tape music style.

ConcreteMascara

David Gilden - Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend cassette - I've read many a recommendation for this tape on the boards and when this showed up at Skeleton Dust I figured it was best to grab it before it disappears again. I'm admittedly not the biggest listener of pure harsh noise and my exposure to Mother Savage/Macronympha is relatively limited. With all that being said this tape way exceeded my expectations. It's a relatively long tape but there's so much variation between segments, and such brutal transitions between the segments it didn't drag a bit. It's just non-stop, no-bullshit harsh shit. Also, apparently there's more than one version of this tape and the music or sequence is substantially different between the two. don't know which version this is but i've got no complaints.

Grunt - Castrate the Illusionist LP - I waited a month or so to pick this up and I wonder why, why did I do that? Some of the most immediate and vicious sounding Grunt recordings since the split with Montage and the Charred Empire tapes. It's almost a kind of grindcore feel where the tracks kick in immediately and end just as quickly. The pace is so fast it's almost easy to miss the level of detail in the compositions. But goddamn is this album killer. Not a weak track in the bunch. And for me, the best part is the variation in the vocals which cover pretty much every style Grunt has ever done from the high-pitched shrieks to the clear and powerful orations. I love Myth of Blood and to a slightly lesser extent World Draped In A Camouflage, but this album might be better than both. That being said, having just re-listened to Petturien Rooli I don't know that this one tops that one. But they're also very different albums, so it's really a question of what vibe and style at this point with Grunt. Do I want it hard and fast or monolithic and methodical?

Red Light - Red Light cassette - hadn't heard this one in a few years and it's way more fearsome than I remember. ultra high-pitched feedback abuse, a mixture of plain spoken vocals and later on aggressive ones. simple but perfectly effective packaging. it's like a police scanner filtered through the sound of late '90s/early '00s Taint. If you don't have this, get it! A goddamn gem in the IOPS catalogue.

Mania / Hal Hutchinson - Wreckage CD - another one which hadn't been listened to in years. I loved the original tape which was the basis for this CD, and this release is just that plus 2 solo tracks from Mania and 1 from Hal. Absolutely killer material hear. collab tracks Ignition and Flame Territory are highlights but basically it's all solid gold metal abuse, speaker rattling bass and crispy but sparse highs. Praise to Phage for continually making big pressing of killer CDs. I'm sure it sucks as a label to see great albums for sale super cheap within 6-12 months because of the ready availability, but it's a great boon to all those who wait a bit check out an artist or pick up an album. Not every good record should be impossible to buy.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

Hunting Lodge "Unearthed + Son of Will" tape- for fanatical HL fans as most of s2 you've heard before but in slightly different versions. s1 is all heavy MB-type synth experiments, pre-HL. Definitely a fun listen; if you can keep from dancing around in the dark with glowsticks during the backing track from "Na Vilavilairevu" then I don't want to know you.

Skin Crime "Conqueror Worm" tape- pretty much mandatory for HN with excellent artwork from the greatest evil worm movie ever made.

Theodore

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 26, 2018, 05:52:24 PM
David Gilden - Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend cassette - Also, apparently there's more than one version of this tape and the music or sequence is substantially different between the two.

Really ? Is the reissue different edits / mixes than the original ? I only have the reissue. Do you know more info ? Or if anyone having both, shed some light please.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Yrjö-Koskinen

Two rather old CDs compiling some stuff made by a great guy (in a musical sense; I don't know him). Let's compare them while drinking supermarket bought Karhu 5,5%!

THE CHERRY POINT - Night of the Bloody Tapes CD (Troniks)
TCP are often mentioned as one of the godfathers of the  sub-genre of Harsh Noise Wall, along with Vomir and The Rita. At least on this album, it's pretty clear why. The recordings compiled here are massive, rumbling, dizzying, rabid and powerful pieces of violence. The sound resembles in many ways some of the better mass-producing HNW artists - think Sleep Column/Elephant Graveyard, Necrotic Fissure and so on - but it has the advantage that it has not yet become quite consumed by gimmick/scene and the idea of sounding static just because that's what you do. On Night of the Bloody Tapes, even with the next-to-absolutely-massive wall sound, The Cherry Point has more in common with the Treriksröset/Sewer Election Killing for... tapes than some random dude calling his HNW Java Generator wavs dirty names. There are lots of things going on, and while this may be more of a barbed fence than a literal wall, we all know that the important thing is whether it gets the job done. This does. A fucking awesome album - somehow grown up, for all its minimalism.

THE CHERRY POINT - Black Witchery (PACrec)
And now for something completely different. This compilation has very little to do with the HNW genre founding shenanigans of Night of the Bloody Tapes, and sounds very different indeed. I'm sure there are all sorts of chronological and factual reasons for this, but I won't spend any time researching any of it. For I am strong, black woman. Anyway: this is a way more free-roaming take on industrial noise and rapacious feedback. There are electronics, there are effects, there is something wet and unpleasant dripping down your spine. Roomy reverbs made less roomy by their obvious nature of being synthetic, but then made more roomy again by the addition of multiple strange layers... I wont try to explain too much, since I am now officially drunk. What I will say is that of the two Cherry Point albums discussed here, the former is certainly the most in-your face, and probably my favorite, but Black Witchery may be the more subtle or even "more intelligent" one. "Season of the Witch" (the third track of the latter album) stands out by combining both worlds and  introducing some brutal looping bordering on lo-fi PE among the fidgeting experiments, and thus making everyone happy. It's great. In fact, The Cherry Point as a whole is (/was???) pretty great.

To sum up: intelligence gets you fired, brutal HNW gets you laid. Black Witchery is the superior compilation of TCP material on a technical level, and one that will probably grow on me, but ATM I'll pick Night of the Bloody Tapes most of the time.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Theodore

Quote from: Theodore on April 27, 2018, 04:59:21 AM
David Gilden - Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend cassette - Also, apparently there's more than one version of this tape and the music or sequence is substantially different between the two.

Really ? Is the reissue different edits / mixes than the original ? I only have the reissue. Do you know more info ? Or if anyone having both, shed some light please.

To answer my own question. I listened both the Devil Worship uploaded on Youtube -i guess it is from the original- and Side B of the reissue tape. Too long in duration to be sure, and i forgot most of the spots i had marked in my mind but what i remember and feel it's the same. Just my tape misses the last 10-20 sec -those with the drums- cause it ends.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Theodore on April 27, 2018, 11:06:11 PM

To answer my own question. I listened both the Devil Worship uploaded on Youtube -i guess it is from the original- and Side B of the reissue tape. Too long in duration to be sure, and i forgot most of the spots i had marked in my mind but what i remember and feel it's the same. Just my tape misses the last 10-20 sec -those with the drums- cause it ends.

I'll compare my copy to the upload and report back. This was all what I heard from someone who had two copies of the tape, so I believe 'em. I just have no way of knowing what version mine is without doing a sit-down audio comparison.

You know what my brain is shit. I was thinking of the two versions of Human Skin Lanters, whoops! Too many MSNP tapes that weekend...
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Eigen Bast

Controlled Death - Symphony For the Black Murder
Maso's new project. I had high expectations going in but this obviously surpasses them. Powerful, HEAVY on the low end power electronics / drone. Vocal performance is perfection. Bleak vibe all around - like an air raid siren sounding while the bombs drop. Would love to see this stuff performed live, any videos out there?

bitewerksMTB

Skin Crime "The Thing that could not die" tape (Self Abuse)- s2 is the best; for the life of me I can't figure out his sound source(s). It kind of sounds like he's torturing guitar strings; s2 has a little less of that than s1 and with more static, heavy bass rumblings. 

Disgusting Sanctum "The Pathology of Abuse" tape (Finders)- damn good, heavy death industrial. I hope he cranks out a full-length soon for vinyl or cd.

Eigen Bast

Wilt x Skin Crime - The Horror at Fang Rock
Only listened to the LP part of this, but imagine Badalamenti's "Twin Peaks" score stretched out over rumbling oceanic static.

Rowen - Ashen Spirit
Lands pretty firmly in the "vintage RPG music" area but with a more propulsive, drum machine driven sound. Not really my cup of tea - dips too far into the soundtrack side of things. Interesting to see people trying to push the margins of what constitutes "dungeon synth" at least.

XXX

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 28, 2018, 11:50:28 PM
Disgusting Sanctum "The Pathology of Abuse" tape (Finders)- damn good, heavy death industrial. I hope he cranks out a full-length soon for vinyl or cd.

agreed! both tapes on Finders are among my most spun cassettes as of late.

Zeno Marx

Am Not - The Developing World

My kind of power-electronics.  Fucking good.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

online prowler

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 28, 2018, 12:18:41 AM
Quote from: Theodore on April 27, 2018, 11:06:11 PM

I'll compare my copy to the upload and report back. This was all what I heard from someone who had two copies of the tape, so I believe 'em. I just have no way of knowing what version mine is without doing a sit-down audio comparison.

You know what my brain is shit. I was thinking of the two versions of Human Skin Lanters, whoops! Too many MSNP tapes that weekend...

----

I hadn't heard previously that the reissue GILDEN tape might be a different version than the originally reissued. I'll ask Stella about this next time. To my ears the latter version is stone cold killer. Flawless craft to the bone. Cannot recommend it enough.

HUMAN SKIN LANTERNS... There are two versions of Skin Stripperess anno 1995 - or three if one counts the reissue of the first tape in edition of 30. In addition there is a 'version 2' which consists of "different version than the previous reissue". Not sure what that indicates as I haven't heard the album. Anyways, inital reissue is ace and mandatory Macro/Taint collab.

Theodore

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 28, 2018, 12:18:41 AM

Heh, at a moment i thought that you probably confused these releases but since Gilden's tape is "collected and edited by MSNP" different versions / edits didn't seem so unlikely to exist.

Peterson

Mercury Hall "Living Table" CS (Joy De Vivre, 2018)
         Another ace from one of my favorite projects of current crop as well as yesteryear. As always, undefinable austere atmosphere without any hint of melancholy (read: works as "ambient," good for late nights and hazy afternoons). Much more active this time, in contrast to the smooth, relaxing stuff on Civilization Year and Library's Bells. This is more like Through The Imperial Family, in terms of being almost jittery and heavy on quick edits, except it's deliberately lo-fi instead of super-duper crystal-clear. Sounds are perhaps more mundane than ever (well, there's a coffee table on the cover, so...) but the indefinite quality, organization and treatment doesn't hardly suggest as much. When are we going to see a CD or LP from Mercury Hall on Penultimate Press? Wouldn't be surprised if we did!