PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Oh, for sure - I know what you mean. Personally, though, I prefer the more concise and structured approach. That's why I liked their 7", too. Another good thing about this tape is that it's not too long. Tapes are all very fine, but once you get much over 20-25 minutes per side, then sometimes too much 'mud' is allowed to seep in. I think 15 minutes a side - as this one is - is pretty much perfect.

eyestrain

Doombring "Sevenfold Pestilence (Amor Fati): I once thought to myself, "this is probably my favorite metal album 2000-present". Still true.

Corpuscle "Victoria Snuffbox" (Maniacal Hatred): Depraved, complex, vitriolic, invasive. A complete sound work.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Stoa on May 20, 2016, 11:50:57 PM
Blood ov thee Christ
One of a small number of groups I keep trying to get/like.  That comes with no negative connotation or ill will.  I didn't care for anything Haino for many years, but I kept coming back to him at random intervals, thinking my listening possibly, finally arrived at a place where he would be as valued as I felt he could be; that instinct when an artist will significantly enrich and change your view of music, but maybe you aren't quite ready for what they do or how they do it.  There's something about BotC that inclines me to think they are of that ilk.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: eyestrain on May 22, 2016, 03:53:14 AMDoombring "Sevenfold Pestilence (Amor Fati): I once thought to myself, "this is probably my favorite metal album 2000-present". Still true.

Have you heard the demos with Pestiferous Preacher (aka Mark Of The Devil=Cultes Des Ghoules) as backing vocalist? Those are the only Doombringer recordings I like.

Strömkarlen

Blood ov thee Christ - Master Control (CD, Segerhuva)
Skillful marketing from Segerhuva relaunched BOTC's career (sort of), and there has been a number of live gigs as well as numerous releases, despite a few snafoos along the way. Now,while great marketing has given Blood of thee Christ a boost, this particular album is actually NOT the best example of non-musical elements being central to music. Rather, the artwork chosen for the CD, the songtitles and the few samples are quite simplistic and don't really dominate the experience at all.

Interesting to be called skillful marketers. That is one thing that I never thought would happen... As for artwork and titles we just tried to stay as close as we could to the original release and the flyers BOTC was spreading back in the day. Which is pretty much what we did with RJF also.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: Strömkarlen on May 23, 2016, 10:50:10 AM
Blood ov thee Christ - Master Control (CD, Segerhuva)
Skillful marketing from Segerhuva relaunched BOTC's career (sort of), and there has been a number of live gigs as well as numerous releases, despite a few snafoos along the way. Now,while great marketing has given Blood of thee Christ a boost, this particular album is actually NOT the best example of non-musical elements being central to music. Rather, the artwork chosen for the CD, the songtitles and the few samples are quite simplistic and don't really dominate the experience at all.

Interesting to be called skillful marketers. That is one thing that I never thought would happen... As for artwork and titles we just tried to stay as close as we could to the original release and the flyers BOTC was spreading back in the day. Which is pretty much what we did with RJF also.

My only point was that the "mystique" of BOTC was conveyed very efficiently to exactly the right people, and broadened its "cult" appeal. Which of course was always there, and well deserved, so don't take my tipsy description of the Blood ov thee Christ reboot as some kind of sarcasm/negative criticism. Perhaps "marketing" wasn't the right word, since I assume you are not now sipping long drinks in Monaco on account of your Master Control profits, but it was the best word I found to describe it.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

eyestrain

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on May 22, 2016, 04:04:35 AM
Quote from: eyestrain on May 22, 2016, 03:53:14 AMDoombring "Sevenfold Pestilence (Amor Fati): I once thought to myself, "this is probably my favorite metal album 2000-present". Still true.

Have you heard the demos with Pestiferous Preacher (aka Mark Of The Devil=Cultes Des Ghoules) as backing vocalist? Those are the only Doombringer recordings I like.

Will have to check them out, sounds like a perfect pairing!

Bloated Slutbag

Kontakt Der Junglinge – Makrophonie 1 cd
Surprise! 2014 studio effort from Asmus Tiechens - Thomas Koner super duo. Four consecutive live collabs, documented 2001 through 2003. After which pretty much bugger all. Recording date is curiously absent so I'll just pretend like we're picking up where n (2003) left off. Which is kind of what we are doing. n ventured some distance from earlier outings, sinking deeper into pools of languid, liquescent electronics, stepping quite clear of the industrial grade indulgences featured most prominently in 2002 highmark -1. Makrophonie 1 continues along the same path, nothing even mildly industrial grade about it. The effects of the studio are immediately felt: ultra deep brooding bass, coming in ultra slow rolling waves, just about as Koneresque a sinking as can be sunk, far deeper into languid, liquescent depths than previously plunged. Languorous, another adjective to drip... drip... drip... Drop... drop... drop... Droop. We are certainly going nowhere sloooooooow, not an unfamiliar sensation for the Konerhead, ever inclined to recline in the gentle drift of elegant, undulating, tranquility. At moments I'm inclined to perceive out-takes from Tiechens' long series of "Hydrophonie", at others aircraft engines downpitched to a blackened abyss. Shade of Tiechens croak, shadow of Tiechens creak, fog of static hiss, gasp of ghostly wail, approach of golden dawn, drawn out tinkling on porcelain ivories. Rich and sumptuous tapestries whatever the inclination, compositional sublimity to swallow you whole. At about the halfway point, a gathering of steam, grey-tinged washes wavering in yellowish clouds of near shimmer. This passes and thus to sink again, to slacken, unapologetic disinclination, arsed cannot I be, the deepest bass to expunge in rippling waves, flubbering cheeks, purest thunder, surface chimes meet shit-stuck-at-the-back-of-the-throat, satisfied belch, unhurried decline, gurgled huff, muffled puff. A nod of the head, another, gaseous hiss, tinkle, gurgle, snort, snooze.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Deadpriest

Xenophobic Ejaculation are the nuts.

And Dead Body Collection are blinding.

Also I'm loving Sickness, Slogun and Jimmy Buffet -I mean Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition ATM
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Yrjö-Koskinen

Burial Hex - In Psychic Defense (Sound of Cobra)
As far as Burial Hex goes, I have the S/T from Scratch and Sniff, I believe an old tape stashed away somewhere, and I think I've had a listen or two at friends' houses. I remember it as decent stuff, ritualistic with noisy and industrial elements. A bit of P-E at times. Great band name too, and what little I own or have heard always emitted a sense of substance. This download (originally a one-sided vinyl) was quite a surprise, I must say. The album is just one long track, but it changes so abruptly so as to give the impression that it actually consists of different songs. It begins with a piece vaguely reminiscent of December's "River of Blood", followed by a period of Zen style meditation notes, and it only gets weirder from there. Plenty of ritualistic stuff here too, lots of keyboard works, some almost techno-like beats, and vocals that vary from melodic to what can only be described as death metal growls. The lyrics are apparently largely based on a hymn to the Archangel Michael. Very little not to like here, despite the general oddness of it all. I find this quite excellent. It put me in a good mood. Although to really enjoy it I'll have to get it off the computer and into a normal stereo.

Duality

SSRI - Schwarze Sonne Ritual Invocation: I'll admit that whenever something has references to Nazi occultism I'm already pretty sold and willing to forgive a lot, but this actually exceeded expectations greatly. Very violent aggressive noise with nice vocals and smashing metal sounds. It manages to stay interesting for its 43 minute run time, which is pretty impressive, as I tend to prefer shorter tracks. I had to laugh at the end when the noise drops out and you're left with screams of "White supremacy, WHITE POWER", because all I could think was "this was certainly a Filth & Violence release".

Zyklon SS - Iron Division: Another wonderful release, though a bit more expected at this point. Whenever ZSS does something, its certainly not by halves. The atmosheric and brooding sounds are very tasty and you have to love looped samples from Klan rallies. Really not much else to say, just very, very good

Quote from: Theodore on April 21, 2016, 10:09:03 PM
Atrax Morgue's Morder Machine Box came some days ago. Black box including 3 CDs, 1 DVD, 1 tape, 2 postcards. So far i have listened / watched the "new" material and the DVD. Reel I CD is good, very good. It kept me till the end twice, a 50 minutes track. Reel II tape too experimental for me, not what i wanted to listen, weak. DVD contains 4 live shows from 1995-2003 starting from 2003 and going backwards, 2 hours total. First and third are the best of them. First has the best quality in sound and video, powerful. Third has an early PE approach in sound and performance. The rest 2 CDs, the Morder Machine's reissues, i know, you know ...

Safe to say it's an excellent box. If i was greedy i would like it to include a bigger insert / poster. Let's say one with the picture of Happy Birthdeath's card sleeve [See Discogs, third image, down left] !

I wish for a Progetto Morte reissue next.

I was also really pleased with this box and I second that a reissue of the Progetto Morte stuff would be absolutely fantastic.

Yrjö-Koskinen

I brought in a box of tapes from storage today, and found shit I didn't even remember I had. I've now been sitting for a while listening with headphones and having a couple of beers, while perusing the latest issue of The Economist and being pissed off about most of what is written in the latest issue of The Economist. I'll be doing this quite regularly now, I think. Especially since this first trial run produced a fascinating mystery!

Sewer Election/Treriksröset - Killing for Norrland (Dedicated to Blod), CASS 2005
I've listened to a lot of harsh noise wall and written about it in this thread, but to paraphrase the great Mick Dundee: THIS is harsh noise wall. Massive enough, harsh as fuck and very well crafted. There's rumbling, there's midrange distortion and somewhere far away there's a bit of white noise that may or may not be the tape. A couple of times things calm down, only to build up again. Thirty minutes of almost relentless assault, very lively and organic. This is actually better than I recall, and I recall it being very good.

Proiekt Hat - ?
Here's the mystery. This tape was supposed to be "XII", but on one side of a C90. For whatever reason I haven't listened to this one in almost ten years, and was looking forward to it. However, something went awry. I listened to a full 45 minute side, enjoying it to no end, but at the same time having a very intense feeling that this didn't sound like I expected. And, sure enough, when I turned the tape over and checked it out, it turns out that XII was contained on the other side. I have little doubt that what I just heard was Proiekt Hat - complex, structured, low-key power electronics making full use of the stereo possibilities of our modern compact cassettes - but it wasn't XII. Being extremely tired, I think I'll have to wait until tomorrow to 1) figure out what P.H. recording I just heard and 2) listen to XII. If someone else has the same edition (black C90 with scratched-on logo), perhaps you know what that could be. Otherwise, I will have to turn to the Youtubes the kids talk about so much these days, and try and identify the recording. There's something in the back of my head telling me I should know what this is and why it's there, but I'm drawing all blanks right now.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: Duality on May 28, 2016, 04:35:04 PM
SSRI - Schwarze Sonne Ritual Invocation: I'll admit that whenever something has references to Nazi occultism I'm already pretty sold and willing to forgive a lot, but this actually exceeded expectations greatly. Very violent aggressive noise with nice vocals and smashing metal sounds. It manages to stay interesting for its 43 minute run time, which is pretty impressive, as I tend to prefer shorter tracks. I had to laugh at the end when the noise drops out and you're left with screams of "White supremacy, WHITE POWER", because all I could think was "this was certainly a Filth & Violence release".

Despite the expensive shipping I just ordered this album based on the couple of ep's and splits I have with Sick Seed/SSRI which are quite good and your review here. Also I fucking LOVE the cover artwork! Can't wait to hear this.

Duality

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on June 01, 2016, 03:57:39 AM
Quote from: Duality on May 28, 2016, 04:35:04 PM

Despite the expensive shipping I just ordered this album based on the couple of ep's and splits I have with Sick Seed/SSRI which are quite good and your review here. Also I fucking LOVE the cover artwork! Can't wait to hear this.
Its definitely worth the expensive shipping. I haven't heard a lot of SSRI but I might have to dig into their back catalog after hearing this.