PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrjö-Koskinen

The Rita ‎– Eyeliner Into Nylon Back Seam

...again. I'm never sure what I really think about The Rita. This particular album has some distorted voicework of a kind that I don't like at all, at least in theory. For some reason it keeps getting to me anyway. I even have it ripped on my phone, and listen to it post-workout. It awakens an urge to buy more The Rita albums, if nothing else.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

pentd

Dieter Müh + MNEM: Atomyriades CD
revisiting this xlent outerspace psykotropica album

Uton: Ummet ja Lammet -tape
at times surprisingly noisy & chaotic

Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät // Paul Bley // Esther Philips.....

eyestrain

Compile "Ten Wolves End" (Private Archive): Francisco Meirino after too many benzos and booze. Despairing blandness of life. Dragging, hideous reality. Absolute quality.

Baglady

CURRENT WORMING - Pill Form C20 (Dogmatics In Outline)
Four tapes out since last year. That's alot, but I like all of them, and for different reasons. The two first ones were more sharp and structured, with more than a nod to Gothenburg Blood Cult. The previous one was a little more loose and slow paced, yet still in the same field. On this fourth effort Mr Buckley picks up the muddiest parts from that previous tape, Memory Of Fuck, and dives headfirst into the latrine. A thick flubbery mass of rumble with jagged cuts of strangled screech reaching up above the surface. The flipside opens up slightly, letting in some air and space, but you'rE still swimming and struggling in a river of dung, so to speak. Simple and great!

Yrjö-Koskinen

The Infinity Project XIV: Vomir CDR (Sweet Solitude)
Well, it's Vomir. However, there's some very timid junk abuse going on in the background (I think). This is not as massive as some of his other walls, and while it is certainly not dynamic or full of surprises, it is very enjoyable for that very reason. You won't be blown away, but you won't be annoyed or bored either.

Chris Rea - The Very Best of Chris Rea CD (East West)
Opening with "The Road to Hell" this compilation reminds us that to the general public, by which I mean me personally, Chris Rea was pretty much a one album wonder. Whoever did the selection for this one seemed to want to tone that fact down, and didn't include "Texas" or "You must be Evil". This is understandable, since at some point this "Best of" would simply become "The road to hell" with a few bonus tracks. Nevertheless, they are sorely missed. We do get "Tell me there's a heaven", though. The selection from other albums is perfectly fine, with "I can hear your heart beat" as a highlight. Reas voice could seduce the iceberg that sank the Titanic.

Genocide Organ - Under Kontrakt
This one might not need much of a comment/review. Feel-good music for feel-good people.

And yes, I am having a glass of wine or two, and I might be having them on an empty stomach..

MT

Total hails and eternal worship to Chris Rea, he has plenty of very very good single tracks (Josephine, On the Beach, Tennis, Nothing's Happening by The Sea etc...), especially in the 80's, but albums as whole rarely carry all the way.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: MT on May 08, 2016, 10:52:31 AM
Total hails and eternal worship to Chris Rea, he has plenty of very very good single tracks (Josephine, On the Beach, Tennis, Nothing's Happening by The Sea etc...), especially in the 80's, but albums as whole rarely carry all the way.

The king of dirty old mans soft rock!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 05, 2016, 11:07:55 PM
H.C.O.D. "Instruments of Destiny" tape, Fieldwork- excellent tape with lots of feedback, junk metal, droning and blown-out electronics for atmosphere. Would love to hear a full-length LP is in the works for this project. I think pretty much everything I have from Fieldwork is damn good.

This is indeed good tape! Got bunch of them, but yet to list new arrivals to store. Somehow reminds me of early Lust Vessel stuff. Not copying anything, but how tapes are done very well, but kind of "old school" feel to them. All sharp and exact folds, neat lay-out. Music is perhaps instrumental noise - but p.e. feel to it. How could one get bored of this vibrating feedback on beginning. Tasty.

MENACING '84 "Immediate Extinction" CD
F&V
Brutal and raw noise/pe. Nazi samples, blunt and simple noise tracks. Very much in F&V tradition. Perhaps some of the sounds are somehow tinny in the CD format. Tape format does more justice for rawness of the works, but it's decent stuff in its style. I did like the tapes more.

MAN IS THE BASTARD "The lost MITB Sessions" LP
Deep Six
Great album. Perhaps drum sound is little too clear or "modern" to my ears, but these tracks are good and overall atmosphere great. Very progressive, long tracks, all the traditional MITB elements are here, but it seems to provide something different too.

DONIS -LP
Autarkeia
Nice drone album. There are few moments what gives me the feel that people should check this out to see that there are other ways to use keyboards than just push one or two cords, but there is also fine line where musicality of this goes too far. It is experimental and droning stuff, but also with melodic compositions. Few moments it goes too far with too sweet sounds, but overall very nice album.

V/A IDEALISM LP
Ideal
I was always under impression that IDeal would be somehow "huge" label? Perhaps line-up consisting Altar Of Flies, RM (from Lettera 22), Peder Mannerfelt and Frederikke Hoffmeier (Puce Mary) is interesting, but still merely for 300 people? Everybody appears to approach it more arty perspective than their main works, but it's good comp. Listened few times and lured to listen more. Feels like everybody has done better elsewhere, but in form of comp. LP, these tracks work out well.

ALTAR OF FLIES LP
Ideal
Same from here. 250 copies for Altar of Flies? Of course this isn't the 50 copies tape works level of deep underground, but still. For band who has played shows around world, appreciate in many places. Manages to satisfy both arty experimentalists and many PE thugs.. 250 LP's? It's not my favorite of all the LP's. Perhaps "Female" still stands strongest of vinyl records. This is, however, as concluded by other before, welcomed move from many of the sounds he used in several releases before, to something new. It isn't too easy album either. It has disturbing and noisy edge to it.

TRERIKSRÖSET "Heteronormativ Musik...." LP
Talking of Great Swedes... While many others have moved to other types of stuff, Treriksröset has small output, but utterly firm stand on remaining true to his vision of harsh noise. It's just the type of noise what one can hail. Timeless, trendless, well crafted, but never over-done, free flowing, yet not "jamming". Just good fucking harsh noise. This LP reissue looks very different from original tape. But no complains. Looks and sounds great.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Yrjö-Koskinen

In my earplugs earlier today:

Muslimgauze - Narcotic (Staalplaat)
I love Muslimgauze. The singlemindedness/fanaticism of the concept, combined with the often very catchy rythms and peculiar oriental(ist) moods are simply the bomb(belt). Generally, I think the albums with the most constant drum work are the best, and this one has a number of hits. There are a couple of tracks of fuck-aboutery which I really don't care for, though. They feel similar to neofolk or martial albums that pad their playing time with "noise" or pointless elevator music. Obviously there is a difference here, since Muslimgauze was never a purely rythm based band, and some people probably prefer the ambient stuff. Still, it takes me out of it a bit, and the next time I want a funky beat to make a complex political issue black and white, I'll turn back to my Russian bootleg of Arab Quarter.

Dead Body Collection - Blackstar (STOLEN FROM THE INTERNETS)
Very pleasant harsh noise wall, putting the lie to the notion that HNW shouldn't be dynamic at all (something I thought was Vomir's thing, but which apparently became genre defining at some point a couple of years ago - correct me if I'm wrong). There's all sorts of clever stuff going on here, behind the wall of Danelectro Black Licoricesque noise marked by that crunch that simply never gets old. Some of it doesn't fuse with the wall in quite the fashion I'd like, but on the other hand it becomes sort of a project to figure out exactly what's going on back there. Very nice.

Ashmonger

VRV - Against The Human Race (tape, self released): Different sound than usual, which is a good thing, different recording setup made this sound more harsh and filthy, other than that, it's recognizable as VRV, being drum machine Noisecore, which doesn't stop, no silence in between the tracks.

Feberdröm - To Fetter Ghosts of Atrocities (Angst, C40): Intrusion of Mortality was very good, so I was curious what this would give. Got to say, it's good, but not an immediate hit like the former tape was. Still, neat Industrial/Power Electronics, lots of beats (the good kind) and there are some vocals on this tape, though still very sparse. Overall this is minimal and very gloomy. Interesting tape, and I expect it to be a bit of a grower.

Facialmess - Market Discipline (Angst, C20): Never heard Facialmess before. Will play again, but not too much into it after a first play. It sounds to me like someone trying out his gear, lots of short parts of something, then something else, but it all goes quite slow. I prefer this kind of style when it's faster and more fucked up.

NSMRecords - Built For War sampler (CD, NSMRecords): Well, if this is the best of the Aryan crop... Most of it is pretty crappy to really bad, but some of the stuff has its charm, such as two Achtung Juden tracks (Aryan Girl is crap), Arrow Cross sounds pretty good, but they've got an anti-NSBM track on an album or something, so that's rather stupid too. Then there's some Hatecore, such as Mass Destruction, not good either, but it gets the job done, haha. Southern Storm/Runes of War - Krystal Night is pure comedy, music is still ok, but the vocals suck and the spoken word part in between the track is absolutely hilarious. This alone makes it worth to listen to the whole sampler.

Ride For Revenge - Thy Horrendous Yearning (CD, Bestial Burst): Another RFR album, pretty soon. Not much to say, you know what to expect. I was thinking RFR reminds me of Motörhead in a way: you know what to expect, but every time there are some new and/or unexpected elements and twists to the album or certain tracks.

CSMD/Sedem Minut Strachu (tape, No Fucking Labels): Don't know too much from CSMD, but it's pretty good, though the tracks on the recent Invocation of Obscene Gods comp were better. SMS sounds more or less the same as always, plus tortured violin. Makes it different, but do I really like it? Not certain. Certainly doesn't make for easy listening though...

bitewerksMTB

Treriksröset / Alfarmania ‎"Så Vill Jag Älska / Obekväma Lösningar" , Fieldwork- Listened to the Treriksroset side. It is supreme harsh noise created with a contact mic & an engineer boot. Sweaty & brutal.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Ashmonger on May 09, 2016, 01:13:39 AM
Facialmess - Market Discipline (Angst, C20): Never heard Facialmess before. Will play again, but not too much into it after a first play. It sounds to me like someone trying out his gear, lots of short parts of something, then something else, but it all goes quite slow. I prefer this kind of style when it's faster and more fucked up.
I haven't heard this one.  Maybe try some of his earlier material from the late 1990s.  It's similar in style and quality to Merzbow 1994 era.  It's longwinded and sharp.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

a_2_g_2

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 10, 2016, 08:26:25 PM
Quote from: Ashmonger on May 09, 2016, 01:13:39 AM
I haven't heard this one.  Maybe try some of his earlier material from the late 1990s.  It's similar in style and quality to Merzbow 1994 era.  It's longwinded and sharp.
There seems to be quite some mixed thoughts on his latest release. If you want sporadic cut-up harsh noise than any of his other material is recommended. Pig Hydraulics is as cut-up as it gets, though I'm not sure if you could get it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NBJqnMFuM0

Yrjö-Koskinen

This was a while back, but I still hear it in my head at times. Me and a buddy sat down with a large amount of beer and a couple of oversized drinks, warmed up with Japanese Torture Comedy Hour, and then got down to the main event:

Cosmic Weapon of Thule - Aryan Unity, C90 (the actual recording is somewhat shorter, perhaps C65 or so)
While the title would lead one to expect either NSBM, or possibly "atmospheric" black metal ambient, this is something completely different. It is released on Lunar Heathen Front, a sublabel of Winter Solace Production. I noted just now that some of their releases have been advertised on this board, but not this one.

The front cover of "Aryan Unity" simply features the title and a picture of Hitler - why complicate things? Inside, it gets interesting. We find a manifesto which, while obviously ripe with heavy trolling, is pretty damn amazing. We learn that mankind and the early Hyperboreans originated in Ethiopia, "nourished by the water of the mighty Nile", that the "Zionist forces [..] even constructed the Jews to blend in with the humans" and that listening to the tape "under proper guidance" may cause one to be visited by Adolf Hitler. It then goes on to inform us that it is possible to transform oneself into the form of a disc, which the manifesto's author has done in order to abduct "several negroids" (creating South Sudan in the process), that physical cannibalism must only be practiced within one's own race (but metaphysical cannibalism, where only the spirit is absorbed, is acceptable over the race boundaries) and finally that the Lunar Heathenfront was founded after the awakening of its leader to be, Aryan Necropaedophile. There is plenty more where that came from. What the point of all of this could possibly be escapes me, but when getting slightly smashed it makes for some fine reading aloud.

Listening to this tape is an arduous process, although it has its rewards. I think the way we did it, being more than one person, may make it more bearable, though perhaps it would be possible to find more subtle and esoteric qualities in it if listening alone. I suspect that being drunk is a basic prerequisite, either way. The basic theme is a recurring beat, which can only be described as a "ploink", or possibly a "space ploink". This space ploink ploinks on for pretty much the whole tape. Layered upon this simplistic rhythm, whose BPM varies a bit, are various piano and synth lines (at least in part improvised) and at times complementary drum machine work. It is a mix of absolute monotony with almost child-like instrument abuse. The best way to describe it would be hardcore easy listening - VERY simplistic, but not at all unoriginal. Not sure if or to whom I should recommend this stuff. It is fascinating, though.

A word of warning: we were not visited by Hitler at all, just by some guy and his girlfriend. Both of whom, I might add, were expected and probably unrelated to the tape. We obviously did not have the proper guidance.

AXNAAR

Quote from: Stoa on May 10, 2016, 11:35:32 PM
This was a while back, but I still hear it in my head at times. Me and a buddy sat down with a large amount of beer and a couple of oversized drinks, warmed up with Japanese Torture Comedy Hour, and then got down to the main event:

Cosmic Weapon of Thule - Aryan Unity, C90 (the actual recording is somewhat shorter, perhaps C65 or so)
While the title would lead one to expect either NSBM, or possibly "atmospheric" black metal ambient, this is something completely different. It is released on Lunar Heathen Front, a sublabel of Winter Solace Production. I noted just now that some of their releases have been advertised on this board, but not this one.

The front cover of "Aryan Unity" simply features the title and a picture of Hitler - why complicate things? Inside, it gets interesting. We find a manifesto which, while obviously ripe with heavy trolling, is pretty damn amazing. We learn that mankind and the early Hyperboreans originated in Ethiopia, "nourished by the water of the mighty Nile", that the "Zionist forces [..] even constructed the Jews to blend in with the humans" and that listening to the tape "under proper guidance" may cause one to be visited by Adolf Hitler. It then goes on to inform us that it is possible to transform oneself into the form of a disc, which the manifesto's author has done in order to abduct "several negroids" (creating South Sudan in the process), that physical cannibalism must only be practiced within one's own race (but metaphysical cannibalism, where only the spirit is absorbed, is acceptable over the race boundaries) and finally that the Lunar Heathenfront was founded after the awakening of its leader to be, Aryan Necropaedophile. There is plenty more where that came from. What the point of all of this could possibly be escapes me, but when getting slightly smashed it makes for some fine reading aloud.

Listening to this tape is an arduous process, although it has its rewards. I think the way we did it, being more than one person, may make it more bearable, though perhaps it would be possible to find more subtle and esoteric qualities in it if listening alone. I suspect that being drunk is a basic prerequisite, either way. The basic theme is a recurring beat, which can only be described as a "ploink", or possibly a "space ploink". This space ploink ploinks on for pretty much the whole tape. Layered upon this simplistic rhythm, whose BPM varies a bit, are various piano and synth lines (at least in part improvised) and at times complementary drum machine work. It is a mix of absolute monotony with almost child-like instrument abuse. The best way to describe it would be hardcore easy listening - VERY simplistic, but not at all unoriginal. Not sure if or to whom I should recommend this stuff. It is fascinating, though.

A word of warning: we were not visited by Hitler at all, just by some guy and his girlfriend. Both of whom, I might add, were expected and probably unrelated to the tape. We obviously did not have the proper guidance.

The mind boggles at some of these NS releases from WS - the Nazi Yoga one was also a headscratcher.