PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashmonger

Ride For Revenge - Enter The Gauntlet (CD, Bestial Burst): First RfR album I own, previously I had checked out some of their stuff, but I wasn't directly into it. Took more time now, partly due to the, although filthy, rather weird guitar sound. But yes, this is some heavy dragging shit and really fine filthy vocals. Heard Wisdom of the Few on the RfR bandcamp and that one seems even better, but it seems it needs a repress...

Ride For Revenge/Bizarre Uproar (CD, Bestial Burst/Filth&Violence): Now this is some kick in the face split/collaboration, which features some of the best material I've heard from both bands. Only comment might be that the noise and black metal could bleed into each other a bit more.

Will Over Matter/Bizarre Uproar (CD, Bestial Burst/Filth&Violence): I only had heard some tracks before by WOM, but wasn't too much into it. First track on this split is nice though, but the second one got a bit on my nerves, not my cup of tea. Fizarre Uproar starts not too good, starts with vocals and some sampled middle eastern/muslim singing/music, which is fine as an intro, but it lasts a bit too long for my taste. However, the noise/feedback/... part that comes after, is really fine.

Ritual Violence (CD, Bestial Burst/Filth&Violence): Sounds like a mixture of Below, Ride for Revenge & (new) Bizarre Uproar indeed. Repetitive, filthy stuff, with some nice samples and both tracks ending in some damn fine Harsh Noise, which is actually my favorite part of the album.

Sniper - Sotaa! (LP, Sakaramiina Records): Only got to know Sniper when I saw them between the other Sakaramiina releases and I don't know their other releases, but this is very good, some very catchy tracks and the last two bonus tracks are rather hilarious when it comes to lyrics. Not too certain what the backcover of the LP means, maybe a stupid question but are they a Christian band? (As some skin bands seem to consider themselves Christian.) Maybe I'm missing something due to not understanding the titles/lyrics.

Kinbakushi - Rope Master (C20, Freak Animal): Listened to it last year, but stashed it away as I wasn't too fond of it, but lately someone recommended it to me, so I dug it up again and I've got to say it's not bad at all. Guitar/Bass noise/feedback with some screams and drumbeat. I prefer the drums when they're a bit faster, but the guitar/bass noise and feedback are really nice.

Ashmonger

Grunt - Myth of Blood (LP, Freak Animal): Quite a different approach than the last album and I've listened to it twice now and it seems it will grow on me, but the former album was a direct hit, I don't think this will grow into my favourite Grunt album...

Arrogance - Carpet Bomb Reality (tape, Hooded In Oil Records): Black Metal/Noise reminding of Intolitarian, not as intense as the last Intolitarian album (I'm willing to add obviously here), but good nevertheless, only not too fond of the vocals. Interested in seeing whether this band will release more in the future and how that will sound. Tapes available through Iron Scourge, btw (and as far as I know I'm the only one having them in Europe and the label is sold out of them).

eyestrain

Grunt on Myth Of Blood is the kinda stuff I love most from the project. Whitehouse vocals, lower-fi production, eclectic and overall dirty and rotten. The last one was excellent for it's catchiness, but I didn't want to see things stay on that track. Too Tesco-ish for me to want to hear again. This one feels like the amalgamation of everything prior and, in my totally biased opinion, that's a good formula for continually better works. Not certain, but highly likely.

Bloated Slutbag

T.Mikawa – Bloody, innocent and Strategic
There's harsh and there's harsh. With T. Mikawa, there's never any doubt as to the kind of harsh you're in for. The only question, really, is whether The Mikawa alone can stand up to the earhole Incapacitating monstrosity it spawned. 2007's Gyo-Kai Elegy answered that question decisively. The answer was "no". But not because it couldn't but because it didn't have to. Frankly, after twenty-five years of solid work under the Incapacitants monicker, it would have been something of a let down if Mikawa's first release under his own name was simply more of the same. So Gyo-Kai was everything The Banker Buddies were not: a delicate balance of tension and nuance far removed from the all-out brute-force of yore. Sure the shit was harsh (let there never be any doubt), but it was the actual compositional integrity of the whole which made Gyo-Kai a thing to be treasured- at least, for hopeless sods who waste away their few remaining auricular follicle thingies worshiping at the altar of Incaps Almighty. Which brings us to 2014 and Mikawa's second release under his own name. Bloody, innocent and Strategic strikes a balance of its own, somewhere between the all-out earhole Incapacitating brute-force and the delicate balance of tension and nuance. Did I say delicate? Let me re-phrase: this, his second under his own name, utterly flattens his first. At least, in terms of harsh. Where Gyo-Kai Elegy betrayed a genuine interest in the finer edges of experimentation,  Bloody, innocent and Strategic erupts shrieking straight into the scorchzone and stays there, firmly, for the full six piece course. There are similarities. The same highly digitized flavorings lend proceedings a smooth and fluid languor, so brightly glimmering among the crystalline peaks as to rob the net results of the critically important sense of ripped-raw brutality. But the instant the title track kicks in, so too the self-doubts. "Critically important sense of ripped raw brutality?" The Mikawa decisively shits all over such presumptuous twaddle. Tastes will be tastes, granted, but as the unutterably brutal barrage screeches through the speakers it becomes abundantly clear that there's more than one way to skin an earhole. To the polished, gleaming, bone. Layers of needle-sharp biting stab into the aural passage like jagged glass shards working around and through one another to produce a near drone-like consistency. Feedback Of NMS it ain't. Hell, I'd be surprised if feedback of any kind were involved. Things turn down a notch, in every sense, come track 2, "Beyond Internal Split", which could almost be an out-take from the recent digitized Incaps direction, full-flavored hollowed-out thunder just a tad too squeaky clean for my tastes... however much fecal matter The Mikawa would care to drop. Thus to set the poor unsuspecting earhole up for the kill: the most aptly titled "Bring Impossible Satisfaction". Now, there's harsh and there's harsh. Think FLS Syndrome. Think BIS Conspiracy. Think Alcoholic Speculation. Then think Incaps with series of decisive cuts to accentuate the earhole-bleeding harshitudes. The sense of speed is there, but nothing frantic, more deliberate. A mix of what could be through-the-speaker sessions duking it out with straight-to-mixing desk fare, each element elbowing the other in its haste to serve some of the most brutal shit I've ever heard from Mikawa, period. After this, I'm done. Fuck it, The Mikawa, you win. Don't suppose you could bring me some more impossible satisfaction, pretty please? But no, I suppose one mustn't get too greedy. Of the three remaining, "Burning, isolated and Spectacular", while at first blush nothing spectacular, presents us with a deep and thunderous core around which searing white-hot sheets blast from the periphery, quite satisfyingly full in body. The closer, too, tries, with some moderate success, to out brutalize "Bring Impossible Satisfaction"- but without the cut-ups (or, more likely, the punch-ins). Fluffy clouds of feeback-flavored room ambience settle into their comfortable depths only to be shredded apart via increasingly frequent attacks of a more puritannical, scathing, persuasion. Here, finally, it has to be conceded. There is nothing even vaguely subtle about this. Mikawa calls it "Barbarian introduces Sabotage", and that sounds about right. Barbaric Earhole Sabotage. For the whole six piece course. Bloody, yes. Strategic, possibly. Innocent, my raped raw asshole. As the big burbling ball of massed, messy, shit scorches and bleeds with all the ragged, purple-faced, authority of an enraged deity off his almighty tits, one cannot but shake one's dazed and ill-capacitated skull, basking in the blissfully blistered glory of harsh.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Levas

Alfarmania - From fix to fix since I didn't listen to the original version, I haven't got much to compare this to, but the CD sounds good and the material is really enjoyable which is not surprise since it's perhaps the best post mortem out there

Clinic of torture - Slavesex loads of samples and nice filthy pe. Didn't do much to me after the first spin, but managed to get into it later.

Also checked Moral Defeat output. Nice small label from Denmark. Haraam explores interesting themes related to muslim world, but as far as sound goes, I was expecting more. Body stress - dismembered in Sudan is quite decent harsh noise and Krypta - Summoning also decent ritual/drone/etc. stuff.

bitewerksMTB

"Rotten Contingent" comp tape, Fieldwork- I've listened to s1 & everyone is good: Arbiter, M, Swollen Organs, & Penchant. The S.O. track is the best! If this track is anything like his other material, then I need MORE. Fieldwork is definitely a label to keep an eye on.

aischrolatreia

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 16, 2015, 12:18:54 AM
If this track is anything like his other material, then I need MORE.

I'd say that his other stuff is pretty similar, maybe even better than this track? Check the new split with Gnawed. He's got a handful of self released stuff as well as on other labels. All should be pretty easy to get.

Bloated Slutbag

I swear on my donkey's grave I never intended anything approaching this many words, apologies.

T.Mikawa – I, Noise (2014)
Double disc collection of previously unreleased Mikawa, divided into "the relics of the past" (old shit) and "recent killing time" (new shit). Dating back to the late 1970s, "relics" is the most intriguing. Here we are introduced to Mikawa before The Mikawa, back when he was recording under the name Contradictory Bridge- recordings of which have never, to my knowledge, been available for public consumption. We also get Incapacitants looong before Kosakai weighed in- Incapacitants as you've never heard them before! But I'm getting ahead of myself. First, the Contradictory Bridge. Contradictory Bridge kick things off on a startlingly arse-hoofing note. Mikawa calls it "My Fave" and its clear why. Gutterous, gravelly, guitar noise, holding fast to inelaborate, roughspun, dirge-curdle, sounding as though a contact mic'd guitar were being dragged along the curbside, gritty distortions barely allowing the source sounds to peak through. If the rest of Disc 1 were like this I'd be grovelling at the feet of greatness, but fortunately (for my sense of self-worth), things go down a fair few notches. Mikawa has previously described his earliest forays as "influenced by Derek Bailey", but until actually hearing "Name Gone" I'd no idea how literal the influence. (This is the guy, after all, who credits Hawkwind as a key influence on "Go Bankrupt".) I certainly wouldn't have expected a faithful rendering of Bailey's Solo Guitar, albeit run through a bit of distortion and warped through bit of tape manipulation. "No Mad" farts along a parallel plinkety plonk path, silent sections of tape hiss as readily filled as not, eking a few frazzled edges toward the end. The fourth and final, "tribble", serves scratchy stringed chalkboard scrape, leaving a rather abrasive, metallic, taste on the palate. In sum: primitive, improvised, um, dicking around, evidencing more than passing interest in noising things up, but hardly hinting at the extremities to come, namely, INCAPACITANTS! Incapacitants deliver track five and the promising title "terrible hallucinations". (Whoo baby, this is gonna kill!) ... Erm. ... Yeah. ... Well. They, uh, sure they got the, uh, track listing right? Could this really be Incaps or am I having a horrible hallucination? Brittle, evenly spaced, spaced-out guitar plunkings, occasionally shrieking with rare indignation, the soundtrack to a bad dream of noise god pissing about in an echo-chamber. If the intent here is to demonstrate that Mikawa can futz about with the best of them, then I'd call it fap-roaring success. "Eerie" might be the effect intended, or, possibly, "psychedelic". If I could make it to the end of the nine minutes and twenty-five seconds without suffering an unendurable bout of skip-finger, I could probably tell you with greater certainty. As it is, by the time the wrinkled horse-cloppings of "It's a blue day, bloody girl" hit the halfway mark, ceramic pebbles flushed through a piece of plexiglass tubing, I'm about ready run and hide. But hold those horses! What's this? It says "untitled". It sounds... awesome! Scattered acoustic clatter of massively amped metallic thwwaaack!, slapping away at an unidentifiable stringed appendage. The Mikawa, at long last, makes his first appearance: hoarse, distorted, semi-whispered, vocalizations, suffocated gasps retched at uneven intervals along a dark and crumbling passageway... or perhaps emanating from beyond the grave. A dread atmos emerges, out the maw of shredded clank and crinkle, unsettled collapsing clamor delivering a satisfyingly pointed harshness. No Mikawa collection would be complete, of course, without a live Incaps number to close things out. "Eggplant 19850208" is another pleasant surprise, mostly because it manages to sound surprisingly up-to-date. Up-to-date, as in, much comparable to the most recent Incapacitants live recordings, sharing little in common with older material currently on tap. Admittedly, I haven't much older material to go by. Bar a brief collabo with Ai Yamatsuka on the Hijokaidan Tapes lp, also from 1985, the earliest live recordings in ready circulation date from the 90s. The shock, to me, is that we are talking here of Mikawa solo, several years before The Kosakai. Very... heavy. Full-bodied. Fleshed out. And with much greater emphasis placed on the lower frequency range than anything else from the period. One may, perhaps, perceive a slightly less-leavened mass of all-out shrieking, but still. Title could be "Eggplant 20150208" and no one would blink. Talk about No Progress.
And now the main event. We've heard what the man was, now let's hear what he is. In keeping with the general atmosphere established via the set of old shit, above-described, "recent killing time" finds Mikawa indulging, freely, his more experimental urges. And, with one notable exception, at some considerable remove from the dense envelopments of Incaps proper. Shucking the meaty, Kosakai-supplemented, densities, Mikawa strips down and launches, bare-ass-first, into stark, straight-to-the-deck, storms of stuttered, improvised, stammer. Away with Incaps! (bar one notable exception) But away too with the heavier layerings to be found on T.Mikawa's own Bloody, innocent and Strategic (also issued in 2014) and Gyo-Kai Elegy (from 2007). There is, however, one shockingly close cousin: Monde Bruits (RIP). Mikawa always was one of the DOD-man's greatest champions, and what better tribute to the memory that most lovable of Noise Worlds than in frying up a short, scrumptious, series of the harshest, raw-razored, spasmation, brimming with tangy, digitized, zip, zap and sizzle. Two Bruits in particular echo amongst the earholes: Purgatory, memorably described in Bananafish as "the world's biggest zipper getting jammed"; and Selected Noise Works, in whose liner notes Mikawa himself provides the following just-as-memorable description: "The sound is as if creeping worms are distorting their screaming and noises caused by their random movments; each worm has its own distortion unit and they all organized one night orchestra". Of the massive zipper failure I can't say that I hear all too much, at least structurally: there is little in the way of pinched, accelerated, rising and falling. Rather, the principle echoes are too be found in the raw, digitized, seasonings. But I might admit a shade of the distorted-screaming-worm orchestra, one dominated by a particularly enraged conqueror wyrm which vents its monstrous spleen plunging in and out of a singular, torn, toothy, aperture, to reveal the words "I, Noise" tattooed to the bloody, engorged, shaft. This is an orchestra of gleaming razor blades, a symphony of screeching sawblades, refreshingly abrasive, wide-open; the methodology as clear and scorching as day. Off the heels of a brief, exceedingly stripped-down, live set performed in April of 2014, the first of a trio of studio tracks hits most forcefully. "Dummy Reversal Part 1" sets an electrified dronebed afire via processed shrieking that could at one point be voice and could at another be the internal wailing of donkey-punched piglet getting sawn in half. Heavier, meatier depths begin to roll beneath the bed before the whole cuts out abruptly leaving bitter taste in the mouth of ill-timed noizus interruptus. The two remaining "Dummy Reversal"s are more open-ended, savage little bursts ripping through spasmic clenchings and unclenchings, allowing clean sweeps to slide across the sweat-slickened surface before scrunching, again and again, into tightly-constricted balls of burnt-out burble. "pearls before rice-bran" is a grey and choppy sea, strangled by sheer, unforgiving, rock-face, refusing to be swallowed up in the momentum that threatens to surge in between intervals of intermittent collapse. "Three Arrows of Intonarumorimotonari" is the promised notable exception. Even the title has a certain Incapsesque air. Stretching out over a nice, twenty-minute course, massed layers of smooth and shimmering squeal arch high above a hollowed-out tubular groan, a sound that might almost be piercing were it not then lacquered with such a lustrous, glowing, coat. A less than exceptional exception in other words, but something of a welcome break from the broken-down, burnt and brittle wreckage which precedes. "Live at Bears 20120902" is an exception of more exceptional persuasion.  Mikawa displays a maestro-esue patience and control, studiously snaking his way through a miniscule table of gear, tickling out ruptured squawk, fluttered flatulance, toothed shizzle, hiding nothing throughout the twenty-two minute assault. Never once does the man lose himself in the moment, maintaining a tight and well-spaced tension until 19:32, at which point The Mikawa steps in and brings things home with crimson-faced rage of frenzied, shrieking, vocalization. Mikawa-san, You Noise.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

Been listening more metal & rock'n'roll stuff than anything else. Re-visiting some old, but most of all going through insane number of never-played before stuff. Things I have generally heard before from CD, bought LP, but then just threw it in pile of unlistened stuff. Been couple years listening almost only noise & related, so pile has grown huge.... Some recent times items..

Arghoslent "Hornets of Pogrom" LP
Perhaps their best album? Despite being clean and more "mainstream" sounding than past material, Nubian Archer kind of superior tracks makes entire album memorable and unique.

Evilfeast "Last Horizon Of Wisdom" 2xLP
Evilfeast "Wintermoon enchantment" 2xLP

Among the very best Polish black metal bands, who appear criminally overlooked. And more so, because band has improved their stuff all the time, while many others grow gradually less interesting. One can forget all over-produced, sigil infested modern metal and sink back to mass of fuzzy guitar layers and eerie keyboard tones. Essential.

Cancer "To the gory end" LP
One of the many less-classic DM releases. Back then, band seemed to belong among B-rate crew of endless death metallers. Nowdays, it stands out as kind of timeless "good stuff". Something what a lot of modern DM is not. Never among the top players of genre, but survives test of time.

Hammer "Shoax" LP
Finnish nsbm so to say. Very much the Finnish 2000's sound here. Raw, but melodic. High pitched screamy vocals. Fans of Baptism, Goatmoon, Satanic Warmaster etc will definitely like it. I think Hammer is much more diverse than this LP lets one believe. Especially upcoming stuff sounded very different. GBK cover song as bonus.

Jex Thoth "totem" + "witness" mLP's
I like Jex Thoth. Both, this old stuff, but also latest works. Blurry and downtuned doomy stuff. Female vocals here are superior.

Fyrdung "Hyperborea" LP
Swedish ns black metal, which musically leans towards Swedish tradition of fast blasting melodic type. I have always been one to dislike the fast tremolo guitar playing scales up & down, and still can't fully digest material like that. I'd prefer strong riffs with impact, over the overt melody patterns. Some can say that the simple couple chord riffs are all used, but hell, playing the scale up & down with same tempo over and over again might not be exactly the same, but it certainly sounds the same. It's all well done, but on the narrow edge of whether I'd wanna keep the LP.

Kadotus "Vaienneet Temppelit" LP
Finnish bm, what kind of falls into faceless anonymity. But in my ears, in good way. There is pretty much nothing what sets Kadotus apart from mass of black metal, except subtle details. Excellent minimalist drummer. Riffs done with good sense of aesthetics, and few killer songs among the basic good stuff. Spiritual Keys To Ages Unseen could be among very best tracks of band.

Terveet Kädet "Lapinhelvetti" LP
Surprisingly metallic. Very clean sound. It has some furious playing, but what's up with all the fast metal riffing? One could think with production like this, soon to sign for SAKARA records....

Gigi & Die Braunen Stadtmusikanten LP
Stahlgewitter main main growling. Probably slightly humoristic stuff? At least cover is pretty amusing. But not amusing for German state who convicted Gigi for couple years in prison for lyrics of this band.

Autopsy "The Headless Ritual" LP
Many praise, I guess, but Autopsy is far far away from the best days. Few good tracks, but lots of filler...

Abscess / Bonesaw split 10"
Exact opposite of limp developments of Autopsy... Abscess just gained strength compared to early days. Killer sound. Great and ripping songs of punky death metal. Bonesaw doesn't come at same level, but their side required 3 plays instantly and could maintain its strength easily.

Volkzorn "Alles Fur Doitscland" LP
Monsters of RAC series has gathered some pretty grim works. It's nice to see hand drawn covers, clumsily played songs. Not all photoshop and modern rock business sound standards! Originally CD back in 1994. Just about 0% talent bonehead rock, like no other group of people can make. No groove. No musicianship. No talent. Only barbaric thugs armed with instruments.

Oithanasie "s/t" LP
Another german obscurity. Skull Records stuff is generally hard to find and expensive, so very nice to get this vinyl reissue. Great vocals, more aggressive and fierce than Volkzorn. Old time german skinhead brutalism. Essential.

Teitanblood "Seven Chalices" 2xLP
Long time I told I prefer Death 2xLP over this. And still do. But had to re-visit the older album as so many people praise it. I like heavier and darker moments of new stuff more. Even if this has more in-you-face sound and lots of energy, I do prefer newer works. Perhaps bluntly said, Teitanblood is like intellectualized version of most savage black/death hammering. And perhaps that's among reasons of success? If it would be just songs about goatfucked-nuns, then how many would care? Now there seems to be more surface to grab. Of course it is musically good, but not utterly groundbreaking.

Bizarre Uproar "amputation" LP
Vinyl version could be slightly difficult as material is very suffocating, lo-fi and starts slowly. On LP you can hear high pitched surface noises quite well on early part of album. When intensity grows, it isn't problem. Well, it ain't problem to me anyways, but those who like even the most gutter quality noise to be "as intended", perhaps CD offers it most accurately. CD also has way tastier covers than LP. But well. Like many times said, if one just prefers LP and listens them, any perfectly justified criticism becomes useless. I tend to listen quite a lot of LP's and welcome this to collection besides CD...

Bizarre Uproar / Gelsomina "älä tee huorin" LP
Re-issue of really rough tape noise. Wowwing, flutter, rawness. Disgusting harsh filth for die hards only. No innovation, nothing cool.

äsh... several dozens of more, but running out of time...

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Dr Alex

Death Squad - Live At Leeds 4.15.00

On repeat! Absolutely amazing live recording with great spoken samples. Loud, suffocating, angry - simply brilliant! This project is something the most unique in the flood of noise / pe.
Somebody should do Death Squad live compilation with Retribution '97 Live, Live At Leeds 4.15.00, Fucked In The USA and maybe some other live track(s).

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 17, 2015, 10:24:30 AM

Kadotus "Vaienneet Temppelit" LP
Finnish bm, what kind of falls into faceless anonymity. But in my ears, in good way. There is pretty much nothing what sets Kadotus apart from mass of black metal, except subtle details. Excellent minimalist drummer. Riffs done with good sense of aesthetics, and few killer songs among the basic good stuff. Spiritual Keys To Ages Unseen could be among very best tracks of band.

They're part of my Finnish BM top-3 actually. They play black metal the way it should be, with no fucking around, no pretense, just the utmost attention to dark riffs. I think that as you wrote, they don't really bring anything new to the genre and don't stand out much among the BM scene but their honesty and focus on the right things makes them superior to me. 
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

cr

Pogrom: Multicultural degeneration
Great! One of those albums I've listened most often in the last couple years. Usually on Sunday evenings, to be prepared for another week in the office, hah. Still interested in full translation of White Barbarian Manifesto!

aischrolatreia

Quote from: cr on April 19, 2015, 08:06:29 PM
Still interested in full translation of White Barbarian Manifesto!

My copy has it, one side of the page Lithuanian, other side in English. Not sure if it was included in all of them?

cr

Yeah, I have this too, but I think there should be more.
Quote from: Levas on May 30, 2012, 10:40:21 AM
There are some leads in Lithuanian. I'll try to compile what is possible from these pieces and some day will do a translation. it's truly interesting material.

online prowler

MACRONYMPHA "Grind".

Been autistically caught up in "All the Nice Surrealistic Love a Necrophiliac" track. Low end rumblings and chaotic / semi-structred efx/unefx concrete manipulaitons. Slightly tectonic feel in low end rumblings. Very interesting production choices and use of left / right channels. Harsh rotations the last days.