PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johann

yea, Chop Shop is phenomenal...i haven't heard a bad release yet....Been falling asleep to Oxide almost every night since returning home to MI. that release is fucking amazing, highly recommended.

Aaron Dilloway - Concealed Cassette. Love this release, as previously mentioned, the track "...for dolly" separates the two sides of the LP, wonderful and creepy. Side B is killer, gotta give it a couple more spins. I picked it up mostly so i could hear the track "Return to Xanax" not sure if it is the same version on the rope and the dogs 8 track release or not. But i've read good things and i must say it delivers.

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse/4 track EP lp (feat. Mortis on keyboards)...years ago i hated the mastering on Nightside, but returning to it after 3 years without it I gotta say i love it

Evil Moisture - Blood sauce...melting cartoons, channels rapidly changing. amazing, totally fucking fun listen

Macronympha - Melting Softly into Time, nasty sounding. bassy, some parts are rhythmic and others stunningly beautiful. great release.

Black Flag - Damage, classic.

My Bloody Valentine - Ecstasy and Wine, i dig this release a lot. just good music to turn on if you just need to hear something.

Velvet Cocoon - two different albums, ones a double cd. good black metal, i dig it. the ambient stuff is sweet too, sounds like a dxm trip. heavy lost in the woods for good vibe.

Ariel Pink - Worn Copy, don't care what people say about this dude. his solo bedroom 8 track shit is incredible. catchy. good fun listen. years ago my friend gave me a cd-r his buddy mailed him and told me he thought it sounded like a runny ice cream cone...blew my mind out back then, now not as much. but this album has some of the best tracks period. never bothered to check out the new shit. don't care

martialgodmask

Quote from: Johann on July 09, 2013, 05:44:41 AM
Velvet Cocoon - two different albums, ones a double cd. good black metal, i dig it. the ambient stuff is sweet too, sounds like a dxm trip. heavy lost in the woods for good vibe.

Ignoring the "pranks" associated with it and them, Genevieve is hands down their best. Really dense and thick atmosphere pouring out of the speakers.

The double CD, is that Atropine? Another very good one and perfect example of how their drone/black ambient fits alongside their more "traditional" black metal. I've dipped in and out of their other albums but it's only these two that I really return to, Genevieve particularly. Love how the opening track just melts away into a tripped out drone mid-section.

NP:
Savages - Silence Yourself Saw these on the Glastonbury coverage by chance and was intrigued so decided to grab the new album. It is excellent! Perfect for having the windows open in this balmy British weather, post-punk with a big nod to Siouxsie and The Banshees, Joy Division and more, really catchy.

Dr Alex

Sektion B ‎– Power Is Nothing Without Control STEINKLANG cdr
Sektion B ‎– Power Is Nothing Without Control STEINKLANG lp
Sektion B ‎– Power Is Nothing Without Control mp3 rip from L. White cdr.

I noticed big difference in sound between these releases. Steinklang cdr/lp sounds poor, rip from L. White cdr sound great!
I asked Peter what's the difference and he wrote me this:
"I don't know why the STEINKLANG track is so shitty in contest to the original!"

Anyone knows what happens?
I read here something about Dissecting Table re-issues on Steinklang...

Levas

Poor mastering specifically for LP and then the same master burnt on CDr perhaps?

Dr Alex

I guess...
L. White mastering is great, Steinklang is poor.

See the difference between L. White [up] and Steinklang [down] - track 7. Whitelines

Levas

Well i think you couldn't press vinyl with the full on frequency scale like in l.white case

Zeno Marx

I haven't heard either of these versions of this track, but generally speaking, I'd prefer the bottom image over the top image.  The top image would imply a lot of clipping and no dynamics.  It would certainly be louder, but that would be about the only advantage.  I have volume controls on all my equipment, so that is inconsequential.  The bottom image indicates some breathing room, and that is almost always a good thing.  I mean...this is why vinyl can be the preferred sound.

Ripping the LWhite to wav and not MP3 would give a better idea of what is actually there.  MP3 encoding does all kind of manipulation to the spectral result.  And the LWhite version, at least as we see it here, wouldn't be the better of the two for vinyl mastering.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Dr Alex

Quote from: Levas on July 09, 2013, 06:25:53 PM
Well i think you couldn't press vinyl with the full on frequency scale like in l.white case

One is from L. White cdr, another is from Steinklang cdr. Not from lp.

FreakAnimalFinland

I would not be amazed if the rip has been compressed by someone who ripped it. Seems very unlikely that the brickwall master was "original" and then somehow could have been un-brickwalled to have wide dynamic range... ?
I think I just recently threw out the Sektion B CDR (just promo with no cover) as I have the LP, so I though I don't need the disc... Some releases tend to have a lot more clarity and ripping sound when you boost them to ultimate maximum, but at the same time this clipping digital sharpness makes so much material sound just about the same.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Levas

look at this. You can have LP pressed with such a wide amplitude and so much highs and lows.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=98199

I don't know what's the story behind Section B LPs, but they simply burned LP masters to CDr and that's why the amplitude change etc.

algiz

DJ Benetti - Disco Caligula 3.....

Dr Alex

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 09, 2013, 09:37:25 PM
I would not be amazed if the rip has been compressed by someone who ripped it. Seems very unlikely that the brickwall master was "original" and then somehow could have been un-brickwalled to have wide dynamic range... ?
I think I just recently threw out the Sektion B CDR (just promo with no cover) as I have the LP, so I though I don't need the disc... Some releases tend to have a lot more clarity and ripping sound when you boost them to ultimate maximum, but at the same time this clipping digital sharpness makes so much material sound just about the same.

I sent both files to Peter from Sektion B and he told me that he don't know why Steinklang is so poor. He said that rip sounds as original recordings, steinklang cdr not.

Levas

on the other hand, one of my favourites in neofolk is Harmony Garden. I guess he is just "some dude" with one album "Wounded", but this is such an amazing album. Such primitive etc. He is Finn I think?

ConcreteMascara

Lots of metal mostly:

Portal - Swarth CD and Vexovoid LP - just found out about this band and I cannot believe I haven't listened to them sooner. It's pretty much everything I like. Bowel churning vocals, fucked up production, super downtuned guitars, HP Lovecraft, and crazy dynamics/tech shit. I was instantly in love after hearing 1 track on youtube and had to buy these albums. I just can't get over that I've never heard these guys before. I feel like a fuck up :(

Aosoth - Arrow in Heart 2xLP - ace

Krypts - Unending Degradation LP - a little disappointing because aside from the last track the new material isn't as good as the demo tracks.

Swallowed - Swallowed cassette - depraved death doom metal.

v/a - Untergeschoss Vol. 1 cassette

Cremation Lily - Passing Stone cassette
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

eyestrain

Parijna The Age Of Scentless Imperilment [Tattrasya LakSaNam Press] Quite excellent blend of synth+drone+noise. Composed of layers that could probably all stand on their own and yet work so well in unison. Nice +/- 18 minute length allows for the pleasure of repeat on loop with total enjoyment.

Rhizome Angle Naked Coda Meteor Bones' Carnival [Lust Vessel] Reminds me greatly of the glory days of Macronympha. Two 20+ minute burners that queue up memories of bourbon haze during the sweaty Pennsy summer. Working nicely together like it was Amplified Humans and Michter's instead of Rhizome... and Bulleit.

Zoviet France Mohnomishe [Red Rhino/Charrm] Believe it was M. Dando that dropped this in SI #9. Seamless transitioning of mood after mood after... Brings to mind a more colorful XX Committee, which in my book is pure bliss. Will be coming back to this often.

Hheva Her Frozen Heart Bore The Weight Of A Thousand Stars [Geräuschmanufaktur] Seeing as I am highly repulsed by "dark" ambient, especially when it comes with a statement of intent like this piece, I'm curious as to why I even listened. I'm very glad I did though. In fact, I would say I enjoyed every single second of this work. Beautiful, lush sounds with a slight hint at ominousness - past or present or future? Made me give Desolate a listen, which was rather good, but this release stands a few miles above.

Kinit Her The Poet & The Blue Flower [Brave Mysteries/Avant!] A group I dearly love, as they put to shame the dilettante intellectualism of most "neofolk" as well as their "musicianship", not to mention they tackle using other writers' words in tandem with their own sounds much better than, say - Blood Axis for example. But I don't love them because of what others lack. Each album is a jewel untouched by previous works. Each album grants my full attention. This new piece evokes the near East as well an experimentation in dark instrumentation and looser singing that older songs did not have. Like Hheva, but for different reasons, I love every second. Also been enjoying the Beach Boys-esque harmonies on the upcoming The Needs Of Both 7" inbound from [Bleak Environment] that you can hear on http://kinither.bandcamp.com/album/the-needs-of-both.

Also, very excited to receive (finally!) the debut CD by Devotion (aka Troy and Dani Schafer) and new works of Lonsai Maïkov, which seems like it will be tenfold an improvement on all his/their prior output, from [Brave Mysteries]. Also have new 3"s of Sonny Blood and Taigherm from [Shifting Sands Congregation] (always worth a shot) via BrMy as well.

They also released Précurseur Grand Bois' complete works on CD. This ain't my favorite project of Alexandre Gand, but its still great to see. Now I have my fingers crossed for collections of A.G.E. and Zn1-5. I can dream...