PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P-K

lol, i posted pic but it's gone, sorry : mix-up :-D

RyanWreck

Happens to the best of us.

Ashmonger

Shift/Sick Seed split LP (Freak Animal): Despite the technical problem with my copy, it's definately an interesting release. Shift has a good balance between heavier and more atmospheric parts. Very crackling sound, not exactly comparable to any other noise/pe distorted stuff I've heard already. Sick Seed: caveman electronics is a good description, although the part with the sample about the human population is very atmospheric in fact. I liked the The Great Corruptor LP, but it seems to me this project is getting better.

Molluskground, Inc.

Now with comments.

Several weeks back I drained my local second hand record shop dry of all their vinyl goodness. To get to Snu-Peas, you have to wade through the festering shithole that is Boscombe - full of street drinkers, angry Big Issue salesmen and toothless skanks who I fortunately could not hear when approached due to wearing headphones.

Bauhaus • The Singles 1981-1983 • 12"

I love goth rock and post-punk. The way it is produced; the emphasis on the toms, the reverb, the eerie overtones, the overloaded guitars, the simple riffs.... all classic ingredients that worked for many bands of that era. The record comes in a smart and simple gold embossed on black sleeve.  It is only 6 tracks, but you have to remember this was only compiled over three years. It does not compile anything from In The Flat Field or associated singles before and after it, which have some of their ultimate anthems. Why you would start a singles collection past this period of time is beyond me. However, it contains some mandatory classics that the band is renowned for. A good start for the curious, but in terms of quantity I would suggest seeking the Crackle compilation instead. I was never into the Bowie cover, but that is just me.

Bauhaus • Burning From The Inside • LP

Great title and innovative packaging - a smart black window sleeve for the insert within and picture sleeve image of the lyrics scrawled onto paper and postcards. An exquisite package for the real fan - get this on vinyl. It begins where the Singles compilation left off with alltime favourite She's In Parties, this time the full uncut album version. The sound quality seems infinitely better and crisp than the compilation for some reason. The album is bizarre in nature ("those indians wank on his bones / on his bones those indians wank") and ridiculously catchy. Despite some of the sing-songy tracks it is still a dynamic cut of goth that switches between total madness to calmer pieces incorporating piano, guitars, saxophone, synthesizers, etc. The B-side picks things back up with guitars blasting waves of distortion on Honeymoon Croon and the downtuned despair of the album's title track. BFTI is not as dark or heavy as the albums prior to this... but there is only one Bauhaus. This is one that will grow on me.

Siouxsie And The Banshees • Dear Prudence • 12"

I have never really cared for The Beatles and I probably never will. But I do care for the queen of goth. This is a nice cover though, but not really worthy of a standout single? The 12" version of this has an additional track on the B-side when compared to the 7", but this also means a gap on the A-side where a track could be. The original B-side tracks are decent too, showing the band's experimental unhinged side. Tenebrous goth.

Napalm Death / Coalesce • In Tongues We Speak. • 7"

The oddball of the vinyl haul. It is pretty good. Napalm Death's sound is what lurks between classic albums like Scum and the death metal material they are doing now. Their tracks are of course heavy and fast with crunchy riffs and pounding breakdowns. They still have the maniacal high pitched screams, thank fuck! Coalesce seem to be just-another-hardcore-band but these tracks are decent, especially when you consider the sea of crap hardcore bands out there. When pitted against the Napalm Death tracks though, they get crushed.

STREETMEAT

Con-Dom- Colour of a Man's Skin
LR/Pisswhip split tape
Ashley Choke-Drastic Cull
Bizarre Uproar-Private Live 1.1.2011 Helsinki

UGRA

Today:

NEGATIVLAND - Helter Stupid
7 MINUTES OF NAUSEA - The Noise of the rose
WOODS OF INFINITY - Hamptjarn

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Tommuel on June 14, 2011, 05:28:12 AM
Napalm Death / Coalesce • In Tongues We Speak. • 7"

Listened CD version of this other day. Was 2nd hand item in my shop. I was far from impressed. I basically have not really gotten into Napalm Death after 2nd LP. It seems too "normal". Too safe in every way.

playlist includes:
Apostles "Hymn To Pan" LP. Their 8th vinyl album, damn! It's not as good as some of early. This has also some experimental instrumental tracks, but mostly the demented anarcho-punk-folk-rock what they were known of. 4-track recorder, busy melodies, charming out-of-tune singing with always so brilliant english accent.

Empire Falls - 7"s and some CD's. USA hatecore. This band has just about zillion of releases, varies between punkrock, fast hardcore and metallic muscle hardcore. Pissed-off angry lyrics. They play also plenty of covers, from Misfits to Negative Approach, to AC/DC to Skrewdriver, to Antiseen and GG Allin and so on. At best, it's killer. At worst, still listenable. On Antiseen split 7" they actually beat the Antiseen side. Metalheads may get interested by listening "Crushing Rainbows" comp CD track "why has hardcore turned gay".

Boy Dirt Car "Familia" LP
BDC is doing what they do well. "resurrection" CD with long ambient jams was not really that interesting, but this is like old approach of band just updated into modern technology. It's still harshly made, crude and free of technical highlights, yet you clearly sense it ain't early 80's, but much much later.

Mz.412 "Infernal Affairs" CD
If I would have to point out what exactly I find lame in "black industrial", it might be this. In some ways, occasional good moments try to give impression it has good thing to offer, but in reality this looooooooooooong album is such a computer generated digitalia, no amount of cinematic horrorscapes can insert "infernal" atmosphere.

Militia -new CD...
did I comment this? Anyways, more listening, it's good album!

Beherit demo tapes vs. "At Devils Studio 1990"
Listened the early demos and 7" material, as well as 1992 promo, just to be able to say whether the new LP/CD/tape of unreleased 1990 album is good or not. And conclusion was that yeah, it's nice, but 26 minutes with couple instrumental rehearsals included, I wouldn't necessary loudly advertise it has "real debut album". Sound wise it unfortunately is behind both, the demos that made the core of "Oath of black blood" and far away of supremacy of Lord Diabolus recordings in 1991 which includes 2 of the same tracks of this unreleased album. For fanatics, obviously a must if you want once again hear the songs...

Autopsy "Torn From the grave" comp
Not really perfect compilation, but still gives indication unlike just about everybody else in death metal scene, Autopsy never became shit. Lets see what happens with the new album...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

RG

STROM.ec/Irikarah - Arma Christi split LP
Anenzephalia - Noehaem LP
Genocide Organ - Remember 3LP
Oorchach/Pogrom split tape

Matthias

Ashley C - Timeless Reality CD (Freak Animal)
It's been awfuly quiet about this one for some reason, which is a shame since it's a very good one that really deserves more attention. Wasn't heavily into earlier Ashley C outputs, but this is a huge step up. Tender and at the same time gross junk mayhem, somewhat stripped down in it's approach but with enough stuff happening all the time.

Lust For Youth - Solar Flare LP (Avant!)
Finally an full LFY album after several tape releases during the last few years. Avant compared this to Cabaret Voltaire, Absolute Body Control and New Order and i guess that's not totally wrong here. The tape mess and overall weird sound quickly destroys the "cold wave" tag, this is too messy and noisy for the minimalism och coldness of that genre. Still kind of poppy, direct songs with in some cases a very strong hit sensibility... A few tracks here i could live without, but overall it's a nice debut album which comes highly recommended. Blows that Contrepoison 12" Avant released at the same time completely out of the water.

bogskaggmannen

Quote from: Matthias on June 15, 2011, 10:39:53 AM
Ashley C - Timeless Reality CD (Freak Animal)
It's been awfuly quiet about this one for some reason

My guess is that people that generally buys Posh Isolation-related music thinks CDs are gay.

Ashley Choke

Haha. guess you're right. That said I haven't been actively involved in Posh Isolation for almost two years now. Still a fantastic label I must add. Soon my own little cassette label will see the light of day. First tape will be a release under my own name Klaus H. Hansen

nidding

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on June 15, 2011, 10:45:36 AMMy guess is that people that generally buys Posh Isolation-related music thinks CDs are gay.

Hah, they are! Made for rotting on a shelf.
Doesn't take away from the fact that Klaus managed to do a really good, coherent album. Great for spinning in the background and great for listening too.

Oh yeah and been listening a lot to François Bayle - Jeîta Ou Murmure Des Eaux - a fantastic electro-acoustic album.

Ashmonger

Skinmask - Reinstallment of Harmony (3"CDr, R.O.N.F. Records): Nice first release for this project. Some parts remind me a bit of Halthan and Grey Wolves. Vocals are rather buried in the mix, which I think fits very well in the whole sound. Cool artwork as well, kind of classic 'artwar' stuff like for example Grey Wolves used to have. Nothing earth shattering special, but I'll most probably keep an eye on future releases.

UGRA

Today:

HAUS ARAFNA - New York Rhapsody
SHINING - VII - Född Förlorare (boring...........)
YOGA - Megafauna
DIAMANDA GALAS - Malediction & Prayer

ConcreteMascara

How is the new Haus Arafna?
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512